After the people of Zambesi faced numerous attacks from their neighbors and nature, they prayed for protection. Their prayers were answered as the great tribes were each presented a mystical totem harnessing a power of each of the elemental forces. A tribe was presented the Air Totem, the totem with the power of air.
The totem found its way to Behrad Tarazi who wielded it to fight A.R.G.U.S. controlled America in 2042. He was killed by A.R.G.U.S. and the totem was confiscated and taken to an A.R.G.U.S. meta-human holding facility, Zari tried to break into the facility and retrieve the totem but was captured trying. Kuasa was sent to 2042 to intercept A.R.G.U.S.' convoy and take the totem from Zari, but Zari escaped before she could do it. She was registered as an anachronism by the Time Bureau and Agent Gary Green was sent to fix it but after witnessing what Kuasa did to A.R.G.U.S.' soldiers he sent a distress call which was intercepted by Legends. The Legends decided to protect Zari from Kuasa and brought her on to their ship who promised to help them if they help her rescue her brother, Legends accepted and headed off to A.R.G.U.S.' meta-human holding facility and released all prisoners to later realize that Zari lied to them to retrieve the totem. Zari later used the totem to fly and get away from Legends but was pursued by Ray Palmer who followed her to a rendezvous point where she was supposed to meet up with her parents. Kuasa confronted them and tried to bargain with Zari for the totem, Zari refused and attacked Kuasa allowing herself and Ray to escape. Shortly thereafter, the Legends came to their rescue and Amaya Jiwe overpowered Kuasa but the latter managed to escape. Amaya later suggested that Zari join the Legends and to help her understand the totem, an offer which Zari accepted. Zari subsequently used the totem as her primary weapon in battle during her various adventures with the team. After the Legends defeated Mallus, the Death, Water, Fire, Earth, and Spirit totems were returned to Zambesi, but Zari decided to keep the Air Totem.
On a later mission taking the team to the Salem witch trials, the outer casing of the totem was lost when the magic-fearing locals tried to destroy it while also attempting to burn an accused witch at the stake. However, Zari managed to retrieve the stone (which holds the totem's power), and use it to extinguish the pyre.
Ray later fitted the totem into a fitbit for Zari to wear it.
In a new timeline (created due to the Legends opening Heyworld), in which Behrad Tarazi was never killed, the totem remains in his possession. Thus, in the new timeline, his sister never wielded it.
Powers and abilities
- Aerokinesis: The totem allows the user to harness and manipulate the power of air.
- Totem connection: The totem connects to other totems when in their presence or from afar and can also let the other users know if a totem bearer has died.
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
- In the DC comics, Zari gets her powers from the Amulet of Isis.
- In Season 2 of , the Air Totem appeared as a clear/light blue crystal. In its live-action debut on , the totem now appears as a red stone with gold casing. However, as the Air Totem only appeared in the series as part of Dr. Macalester's presentation, (as its whereabouts were unknown at the time), this most likely wasn't an accurate representation of its physical appearance.
- The totem's outer casing is inscribed with ancient Paleo-Hebrew/Canaanite/Phoenician letters which spell "kabed YHWH w'hamishkan", the translation of which is "Honor Yahweh and the Tabernacle", and "w'amah akhat m'al qadosh", which means "and one amah above [the] holy [one]." This inscription is directly copied verbatim from the Headpiece to the Staff of Ra in Raiders of the Lost Ark.
- Currently, the Air Totem is the only one of the Totems of Zambesi that is not in Kuasa's possession.
|Totems of Zambesi|
|Spirit Totem • Air Totem • Water Totem • Fire Totem • Earth Totem • Death Totem|
|Other versions of Air Totem|
|To see other versions of this location, click the Earth name below for that Earth's counterpart of Air Totem.|
|Earth: Prime |