- "Anansi. A trickster god. According to a legend, he fashioned a totem which he gave... to a warrior named Tantu."
- —Professor Macalester to Mari about Anansi[src]
Anansi is a african trickster god.
The Anansi Totem was passed down through generations in Zambesi, eventually ending in possession of Mari. While Mari had read about Anansi in the encyclopedia, she was not aware of totem's powers until adulthood.
Powers and abilities
- Deity/spider physiology: As a deity, Anansi has special abilities. According to Kuasa, Anansi's true form is a spider.
- Anansi Totem: Anansi channels his power through the totem.
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics Anansi (also known as Kwaku Anansi and Anansi the Spider) is also a creator of Tantu Totem and a trickster god in West African folklore, also being an enemy to the Justice League and a source of power for several animal-based superheroes including Animal Man and Vixen.
- In real life Anansi is a prominent figure in Western African folklore often takes the shape of a spider and is considered to be the spirit of all knowledge of stories. Aforementioned DC comics character is based on this mythological character.