- For the similarly named character, see Astra.
Condemned to Hell
After Astra was possessed by a demon, John Constantine, Anne Marie Flynn, Gary Lester, Ritchie Simpson and Chas Chandler all came to her aid in attempt to exorcise the demon from her body, however, Renee (Chas's ex-wife) said that Astra's own father used her as a tool in his black magic rituals, John attempted to summon a greater demon, Nergal, to instruct the lesser demon to leave her. While the plan worked, Nergal then violently killed Astra in front of everyone and dragged her soul to Hell for eternity.
Five years later, John traveled to Hell to save the soul of Ray Palmer. Upon arriving, Satan offered John a chance to save Astra's instead. John chose to save her, but Astra, now a grown woman, revealed to John that she didn't want to leave Hell, preventing John from saving both her and Ray.
Later in Hell, Astra helps John and Nora Darhk break into the Soul Exchange to get Ray's soul token. While the two of them look for his, Astra secretly steals sixteen evil souls (including Caligula, Charles Manson, Genghis Khan, Grigori Rasputin, John Wayne Gacy, Joseph Stalin, Lizzie Borden and Mary Tudor). She later goes to the front desk of the Soul Exchange and releases the sixteen souls from Hell, offering them a second chance.
The violent act in Newcastle that led to Astra's death caused to the group of magic users to split up, and John to place himself in Ravenscar Psychiatric Facility for the Mentally Deranged, where he continued to be haunted by his actions. Anne Marie became a nun in New Mexico, Gary started to do drugs more often and Ritchie put it behind him.
Eventually, John was offered the opportunity to stop the "Rising Darkness" and chose to do it to honor Astra.
While possessing Sara Lance, the demon Mallus used Astra's voice to offer Constantine Astra's soul in exchange for Sara's, John did not believe him and continued to exorcise him. John later told Sara that had he believed that Mallus was telling the truth about freeing Astra's soul, he would have taken the offer without any hesitation. But, he later discovers that Astra has became evil because during all this time she has passed in Hell.
Before being unfairly commended to Hell Astra was a kind, caring, polite, cheerful, and innocent child however she got possessed by a demon who then killed her in retaliation after being exorcised out of her dragging her spirit to Hell, where she quickly grew up losing her innocence and start blaming Constantine for her being there even admitting before she lost her innocence she did believe he would recuse her from the literal Hell she was in.
Powers and abilities
- Ghost Physiology: As a ghost, Astra has special abilities.
- Astral projection: Astra is not here in a natural form, she is a projection of his soul.
- It is unclear how exactly Astra aged while in Hell, since she is already dead.
Behind the Scenes
- In the DC comics, Astra Logue (also called Astrid), abused daughter of club-owner, Alex Logue. In 1978, she had summoned up a demon called Norfulthing that had killed Logue and his associates. John Constantine tried to summon another demon to defeat it but failed to name and bind it properly. That demon, Nergal, killed Norfulthing and dragged Astra to Hell. This failure sent John completely insane. He was committed to Ravenscar Secure Facility. The guilt stayed with him for a long time. During the end of Critical Mass arc however, John succeeds in freeing Astra's and every child's soul trapped in Hell and held by the demon Buer. Astra kisses the (demon) John Constantine as a thanks and she together with the other children quickly depart to Heaven.