She plots secretly against the Triumvirate to become the new queen of Hell and to take her revenge on John Constantine.
Condemned to Hell
After Astra was possessed by a demon, John Constantine, Anne Marie Flynn, Gary Lester, Ritchie Simpson and Chas Chandler all came to her aid in attempt to exorcise the demon from her body. However, Renee (Chas's ex-wife) said that Astra's own father used her as a tool in his black magic rituals, so John attempted to summon a greater demon, Nergal, to instruct the lesser demon to leave her. While the plan worked, Nergal then violently dragged Astra to Hell for eternity in front of everyone.
Five years later, John traveled to Hell to save the soul of Ray Palmer. Upon arriving, Satan offered John a chance to save Astra's instead. John chose to save her, but Astra, now a grown woman, revealed to John that she didn't want to leave Hell, preventing John from saving both her and Ray.
Later in Hell, Astra helps John and Nora Darhk break into the Soul Exchange to get Ray's soul token. While the two of them look for his, Astra secretly steals sixteen evil souls (including Caligula, Charles Manson, Genghis Khan, Grigori Rasputin, John Wayne Gacy, Joseph Stalin, Lizzie Borden, Mary Tudor, Marie Antoinette, Bugsy Siegel, Kathy Meyers and Damien Darhk). She later goes to the front desk of the Soul Exchange and releases the sixteen souls from Hell, offering them a second chance.
Queen of Hell
Astra begins secretly her reign, sending Encores against John Constantine and the Legends.
Leaving Hell to the Waverider
With the three rings of the Loom of Fate found, Astra and John Constantine decide that it is time for him to keep his promise and revive her mother; however, when the Legends have a meeting as to who should be resurrected first, Clotho chooses Behrad Tarazi. The attempt is a failure though and results in damaging the Waverider. Astra thinks that she can help since she was groomed to be a Fate, but she is denied access to the Loom. Later, when the Loom disappears, she is blamed and imprisoned, but video footage obtained by Zari Tarazi reveals that the hellhound Marchosias caused it to be flushed into the sanitary system. After tricking the Legends into releasing her, Astra tells Constantine the hellhound's real name, allowing him to cast a banishing spell. Zari offers Astra a tour of the ship as a sign of friendship, but Astra quickly rejects it.
The violent act in Newcastle that led to Astra's banishment to Hell caused to the group of magic users to split up, and John to place himself in Ravenscar Psychiatric Facility for the Mentally Deranged, where he continued to be haunted by his actions. Anne Marie became a nun in New Mexico, Gary started to do drugs more often and Ritchie put it behind him.
Eventually, John was offered the opportunity to stop the "Rising Darkness" and chose to do it to honor Astra.
While possessing Sara Lance, the demon Mallus used Astra's voice to offer Constantine Astra's soul in exchange for Sara's, John did not believe him and continued to exorcise him. John later told Sara that had he believed that Mallus was telling the truth about freeing Astra's soul, he would have taken the offer without any hesitation. But, he later discovers that Astra has became evil because during all this time she has passed in Hell.
Before being unfairly commended to Hell, Astra was a kind, caring, polite, cheerful and innocent child. However, she got possessed by a demon who then killed her in retaliation after being exorcised out of her dragging her spirit to Hell, where she quickly grew up losing her innocence and start blaming Constantine for her being there.
Though Astra did admit that, before she lost her innocence, she believed he would rescue her from the literal Hell she was in one day.
Powers and abilities
- Magic: Since being sent to Hell, Astra has learned how to use magic.
- Occult knowledge: Astra has acquired extensive knowledge of the supernatural.
- Expert knife thrower: Astra has proven to having a level of proficiency with knifes.
- Demonology: Due to growing up in hell Astra has gained a knowledge of demons. Even being able to correctly identify a Hellhound's true name.
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics, Astra Logue (also called Astrid), is the abused daughter of club-owner, Alex Logue. In 1978, she had summoned up a demon called Norfulthing that killed Logue and his associates. John Constantine and the Newcastle Crew tried to summon another demon to defeat it but failed to name and bind it properly. That demon, Nergal, killed Norfulthing as well took Astra to Hell with him. This failure greatly impacted John and led him to be committed to Ravenscar Secure Facility. However, at the end of the Critical Mass storyline, John succeeds in freeing Astra and every child's soul trapped in Hell, allowing them to depart to Heaven.