"Attack on Gorilla City" is the thirteenth episode of the third season of , and the fifty-ninth episode overall. It aired on February 21, 2017. It acts as the first half of a two-part episode.
|When Jesse Quick informs the team that her father has been abducted, Barry, Caitlin, Cisco and Julian voyage to Earth-2 on a rescue mission to save Harry from Gorilla City. As they trek through the forest, Barry and the team are immediately captured and brought to Grodd. Grodd tells them he needs their help to stop Solovar, the leader of Gorilla City, as Solovar wants to invade Earth-1.|
- Grant Gustin as Barry Allen/The Flash
- Candice Patton as Iris West
- Danielle Panabaker as Dr. Caitlin Snow
- Carlos Valdes as Cisco Ramon/Vibe
- Keiynan Lonsdale as Wally West/Kid Flash
- Tom Cavanagh as Dr. Harrison "Harry" Wells and H.R. Wells
- Jesse L. Martin as Detective Joe West
Special appearance by
- Violett Beane as Jesse Wells/Jesse Quick
- Jessica Camacho as Cynthia/Gypsy
- Keith David as Solovar (voice)
- David Sobolov as Grodd (voice)
- Arpad Balogh as Robber #1
At S.T.A.R. Labs, Jesse arrives trough a breach and informs Team Flash that her dad had been abducted. When answering the team's questions she reveals that her dad went to a place on Earth-2 called Gorilla City, a city run by gorillas that is located deep in the heart of Africa. While talking with the team, Jesse sees H.R. and confuses him with her dad, but then realizes that he is not and her dad is still missing.
After talking with Jesse, Barry and the team discuss the headline "The City's Still Recovering From a Gorilla Attack" that Barry saw on the news when Cisco vibed him to the future and Barry theorizes this could be related to the Gorilla City that Jesse told them about.
Barry assembled a group consisting of Cisco, Caitlin, and Julian to travel to Earth-2 and rescue Harry. Jesse tells Barry that she needs to go, but he is able to convince her to remain on Earth-1. Cisco uses his powers to open a breach that the group uses to travel to Earth-2. After traveling through the breach, the group turns around and sees a sanctuary with a huge stone gorilla statues.
On Earth-2, Barry, Cisco, Caitlin, and Julian follow the signal of one of Harry's wristbands. As they close on the area of the wristband, every member of the group is shot by a dart that takes them out. As they are passing out, they hear Grodd's voice in their heads. Each member of the group wakes up and realizes that they've been detained. Barry Cisco both try to escape their cells but they are unsuccessful. They quickly realize that Grodd is dampening their powers. Harry arrives down a flight of stairs, but the team quickly realizes that Grood has control of Harry's body and is utilizing the body to talk. Through Harry, Grodd advises the group that he needs their help to stop Solovar from launching an attack on Earth-1.
Back on Earth-1, Wally approaches Jesse and requests that she stay on Earth-1 with him.
In the prison at Gorilla City, Solovar shows up and it's decided that Solovar and Barry will have a battle to the death in the Gorilla City arena. Barry and Solovar engage in a fight that Barry eventually emerges from victorious. Barry tells the whole arena that he won't murder Solovar. Grodd then orders that Barry be taken out with a dart and sends him back to the prison. After Barry wakes up, Grodd assumes control over Harry's body again and reveals that Solovar was never going to attack Earth-1. Grodd then reveals that he needed Barry to beat Solovar so that the residents of Gorilla City would fear humans and attack Earth-1 in response. Shortly after Grodd leaves, Barry is seen laying on the floor of his cell appearing to have died. Grodd comes back, hauls Barry out of his cell, tosses him on a heap of bones, and then leaves. After Grodd leaves, Barry wakes up and liberates the others from their cells. Barry then speeds the group into the center of the wilderness so Cisco can open a breach to Earth-1 before the gorillas realize that they are missing. Before a group of gorillas is able to catch up to them, the group escapes to Earth-1 through a breach.
Shortly after Barry, Cisco, Caitlin, Julian, and Harry arrived on Earth-1, Harry is resting and Jesse notes to Wally that when her dad wakes, she's going to reveal to him that she intends to move to Earth-1 and the two kiss right as H.R. strolls in the room and stops them.
- Julian makes a reference to Planet of the Apes. This is a possible reference to his actor, Tom Felton's, role in the 2011 film Rise of the Planet of the Apes.
- This is the third episode of to centrally takes place on Earth-2, after "" and "".
- This is the first appearance of Grodd on The Flash since the season 2 episode "".
- Cisco comments on how Julian's attire resembles the character Indiana Jones.
- Harry later refers to Julian as "Indiana" when he meets him in reference to this.
- Cisco quips "welcome to the jungle, baby", likely referencing the 1987 Guns N' Roses song "Welcome to the Jungle".
- This is the second episode of The Flash in which an Earth-1 resident doesn't appear on Earth-1 at all. The first episode in which that happened was "".
- Cisco advises Barry to "pull a Reverse-Flash", causing him to strike Solovar in the stomach with a vibrating hand, harkening back to a move used by Eobard Thawne.
- Barry makes use of the idiom "While there's life, there's hope".
- This is one of the few episodes of The Flash to feature Earth-2 without featuring that Earth's Central City at all.
- H.R. begins charades by acting out a single-worded film with shivering, likely referencing any number of films titled Frozen.
- Grodd's plan to overthrow Solovar and rule Gorilla City in his place is taken from Grodd of War, a one-shot comic that is part of the Flashpoint event.
- Early on when Barry tells Iris, "Everything I do, I do for you", the first chord of the Bryan Adams song of the same name is heard in the score.
- Cisco mentions Fay Wray, who was the lead actress in the original 1933 version of King Kong.
- When Jesse and Harry meet H.R. for the first time after traveling from Earth-2, they immediately recognize his face. It is not explained how they are able to do this as in "", H.R. used the facial transmogrification device to alter his face into that of Randolf Morgan for everybody except the members of Team Flash present at that time.
|"" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • " " • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • ""|