- For other uses of "The Flash", see The Flash.
Bartholomew Henry "Barry" Allen was a scientist in the Criminal and Forensic Science Division of the Central City Police Department. He is the son of the late Henry and Nora Allen, the foster son turned son-in-law of Joe West, the husband of Iris West-Allen, the brother-in-law of Wally West, the best friend of Cisco Ramon and Caitlin Snow, the close friend of Felicity Smoak, John Diggle, Kara Danvers, Sara Lance, and the late Oliver Queen and Eddie Thawne, as well as the archenemy of Eobard Thawne.
Barry's mother was murdered when he was 11 years old on March 18, 2000 and the blame was wrongfully placed on his father. He was taken in by Joe and he dedicated his life to proving his father's innocence. After the S.T.A.R. Labs particle accelerator exploded, causing a giant thundercloud to form, Barry was struck by lightning from an cloud, falling into a coma for nine months. When he woke up from his coma, Barry discovered that he had developed superhuman speed and various other abilities derived from it. Using these powers to protect Central City, he began acting as a meta-human superhero known as the Flash.
Powers and abilities
- Speed Force connection/Meta-human physiology: Barry's powers come from a connection to the Speed Force, gained when struck by dark matter lightning and exposed to several chemicals. This altered and supercharged his DNA, cells, and neurotransmitters.
- Accelerated healing factor: Barry's molecules move at accelerated rates, mendng damage far quicker and more efficiently than normal humans.
- Electrokinesis: Barry can produce yellow electricity, Speed Force energy, from his body. It is commonly seen when running to boost his already immense speed to far higher levels.
- Superhuman strength: Barry's physical strength has been heightened beyond that of normal humans, greatly belying his slim built, allowing him to be able to carry multiple individuals at once while speeding away with them.
- Superhuman durability: Barry possesses superhuman resilience, most commonly seen from being unaffected by momentum build-up. He can take attacks and exertion, even survive impacts that would easily kill normal humans.
- Superhuman stamina: Barry can handle the stresses of extreme racing without noticeable distress, letting him function much longer than normal humans unhindered.
- Superhuman mental process: Barry's powers also make his thought processing able to take in and retain information just as fast and efficiently.
- Superhuman speed: Barry is capable of moving at incredible superhuman speeds.
- Aerokinesis: Barry can use his speed to generate air flows on various levels and for various effects.
- Interdimensional travel: Barry can move fast enough to break open portals between dimensions, allowing him to travel to different universes.
- Speed clones: Barry can generate illusions of himself to make it appear as if he in many places at once, when in reality he is simply bouncing back and forth too fast for the human mind to perceive the difference.
- Superhuman agility: Barry has demonstrated flawless coordination, equilibrium and dexterity.
- Superhuman momentum: Barry can generate great amounts of physical force through kinetic energy, simulating superhuman strength, even in a stationary position.
- Bodily vibration: Barry can vibrate his body for various effects.
- Intangibility: By vibrating his molecules at the frequency of air, Barry can physically pass through solid matter, even highly complex matter like carbine while in a universe of a different vibrational nature.
- Invisibility: Barry can vibrate his body so fast that that he can no longer be perceived by the human eye.
- Seismokinesis: By vibrating at varying frequencies and with different levels of force, Barry can create small tremors to induce extreme amounts of jolt on any target he touches, even disrupt the inter-molecular bonds and cause it to shatter.
- Time travel: Barry's speed can breach the temporal barriers, letting him enter different points in time.
- Temporal dilution: By generating enough energy, Barry can move so fast that time essentially slows down relative to him in a large area, to a complete standstill.
- Temporal regression: With Barry's ability to shift through time, he can also reverse the flow effects while running at a certain speed, while he remains completely unaffected.
- Time remnant construct/temporal duplication: Barry is able to "create" a time remnant by traveling back to moments before his current-self time travels, hailing from a future that no longer exists.
- Genius-level intellect/Computer specialist/Expert investigator/Forensics: A keen-minded individual from a young age, Barry displayed a natural understanding and quick capacity to learn. As a CSI of the Central City Police Department, Barry is highly skilled in forensics.
- Cold temperatures: Because speed is produced by a build-up of heat in the target's atoms, Barry is vulnerable to extreme cold temperatures.
- Hyper-metabolism: While moving at superhuman speeds, Barry burns calories much faster than a normal person. While breaking down food far more efficiently, it requires him to consume large amounts of nutrients.
- Power-dampening tech: Barry's powers do not work while he is wearing the power-dampening cuffs or imprisoned in one of the power-dampening cells.
- The Flash suit: Barry wears a protective suit as his alter-ego, the Flash, to hide his identity from his enemies, when he goes out fighting crime.
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics, Barry Allen was the second hero to be known as the "Flash", taking the superhero mantle after Jay Garrick. He primarily operated during the so-called "Silver Age" and "Bronze Age" of comics, before sacrificing himself during Crisis of Infinite Earths to save his universe. In the current Prime Earth continuity, Barry Allen is once again the main Flash, although other characters, like Wally West, have recently returned.
|Other versions of Barry Allen (Earth-1A)|
|To see other versions of this character, click the Earth name below for that Earth's counterpart of Barry Allen.|
|Earth: 1 • 2 • 90 • TUD13 • Pollux|
|Earth: 1A • 27A|