- "People of National City, this is Supergirl, and... I hope you can hear me. We have been attacked. Mothers and fathers, friends and neighbors, children, everyone, suddenly stopped by a force of evil as great as this world has ever known. Your attacker has sought to take your free will. Your individuality. Your spirit, everything that makes you who you are. When facing an attack like this, it's easy to feel hopeless. We retreat, we lose our strength, we lose ourselves. I know. I lost everything when I was young. When I first landed on this planet, I was sad and alone. But I found out that there is so much love in this world, out there for the taking. And you, the people of National City, you helped me. You let me be who I'm meant to be. You gave me back to myself. You made me stronger than I ever thought possible, and I love you for that. Now, in each and every one of you, there is a light, a spirit that cannot be snuffed out. That won't give up. I need your help again. I need you to hope. Hope... that you will remember that you can all be heroes. Hope... that when faced with an enemy determined to destroy your spirit, you will fight back and thrive. Hope... that those who once may have shunned you will, in a moment of crisis, come to your aid. Hope... that you will see again the faces of those you love. And perhaps even those you've lost."
- —Supergirl to the citizens of National City
"Better Angels" is the twentieth and final episode of the first season of , and the twentieth episode overall. It aired on April 18, 2016.
|Supergirl is forced to do battle with an unexpected foe and must risk everything - including her life - to prevent Non and Indigo from destroying every person on the planet.|
- Melissa Benoist as Kara Danvers/Supergirl
- Mehcad Brooks as James Olsen
- Chyler Leigh as Dr. Alex Danvers
- Jeremy Jordan as Winn Schott
- David Harewood as Director J'onn J'onzz/Martian Manhunter
- Calista Flockhart as Cat Grant
Special guest stars
- Peter Facinelli as Maxwell Lord
- Laura Benanti as Alura Zor-El
- Jenna Dewan Tatum as Director Lucy Lane
- Helen Slater as Dr. Eliza Danvers
- Chris Vance as General Non
- Laura Vandervoort as Indigo
- Glenn Morshower as General Sam Lane
- Malina Weissman as Young Kara Zor-El
Supergirl and a Myriad-controlled Alex Danvers charge each other in the air, with Alex cutting Kara with her Kryptonite blade. As the fight progressed, Alex gained the upper-hand, though before she could kill Kara, J'onn J'onzz carrying Eliza Danvers arrived. Eliza was successfully able to cease Myriad's control over Alex by reminding who she was - and that Jeremiah Danvers always said that Alex was the strongest of them all.
At Cat Grant's first broadcasting station, Maxwell Lord and Cat explained to J'onn how their plan would work, with broadcasting Supergirl giving a speech about hope to cut Myriad's connection from the people of National City. As Supergirl gave her speech which was broadcast on every screen, citizens of National City awoke from their mind controlled states, including both Winn Schott and James Olsen.
Elsewhere, Non recounted his failures to Indigo, who instead of looking at it as a failure, comforted him and suggested that they kill the humans of Earth and leave Supergirl behind as the hero of a dead world. The next day at CatCo Worldwide Media, James and Winn both apologized to Kara for their actions while under the control of Myriad, and for saving them. That reminded Kara of her failure to save Kelly, causing James to reassure her that no one would have been able to save all three of them, not even Superman. James and Kara then attempted to talk about their kiss, though they were interrupted by Cat Grant, who summoned them for the morning meeting.
At the D.E.O. headquarters, Lucy Lane watched the cleanup effort of the headquarters. She then went to check on both J'onn J'onzz and Superman, who were both being tended. General Sam Lane then arrived, embracing Lucy, and then ordering that J'onn be re-secured as he was still a prisoner. Though Lucy tried to protest as J'onn was wounded and had just helped saved the entire city, but General Lane expressed that he was trying to protect them, however Lucy explained that he was doing the opposite. Lucy then went to apologize to J'onn, though J'onn told her he understood as he knew General Lane was just doing what he thought was right.
In Alex Danvers' lab, both Alex and Kara cleaned it up, with Eliza coming in to find out why Alex and J'onn had really come to see her in Midvale. Alex explained to her mother that Jeremiah was actually alive, and that J'onn and herself were going to find him once Non and Indigo were captured. Maxwell Lord then came in to inform them that the Kryptonians were now using Myriad to try and kill them, since they weren't able to use it to control them. In the D.E.O. control center, he explained that they were increasing the Myriad frequency until every human's cranium exploded.
Both Alex and Lucy were then called away to the armory by Agent Vasquez. Before Supergirl could leave, Maxwell Lord warned Supergirl that this was in fact a suicide mission as she had no backup. However Supergirl emphasized that she would stop Non and Indigo, though she asked Maxwell not tell Alex her odds of surviving. Later at CatCo, Winn noticed Kara's look of distraught, and asked her if she wanted in on the lunch order. Though she told him that she already had ate, Kara changed the subject, thanking Winn for always being a good friend to her before being called away by Cat. Grant demanded Kara get her a Moon Juice smoothie, though before she left she thanked Cat for being an amazing mentor and friend.
In James' office, Kara told him that though she knew they could've been happy together, they missed their chance, and now the most important thing to her was that he find happiness. Though James attempted to find out why she would say such a thing, Kara quickly left. At the D.E.O., Kara went to see J'onn, remarking that she hated seeing him shackled. J'onn then informed Kara that James had called Lucy to inform her that Kara was acting strange, as if she was saying goodbye. Kara then told J'onn her odds, and that she was just saying the things she didn't get to say before Krypton was destroyed. In the D.E.O.'s control center, Maxwell Lord announced that he had found out what was powering Myriad, with Kara informing everyone that it was an Omegahedron, devices that they had used as energy sources on Krypton. Maxwell then told everyone that the Kryptonians were hiding in Nevada, leading General Lane to reveal that, that's where Fort Rozz had landed, and due to the spacecraft weighing a one-million ton, they had left it there. Though they concealed it with its own stealth technology, and cordoned off the area as a nuclear test zone.
Kara then announced that she'd find them and shut it down, with J'onn arriving telling her that he'd join her. Though there were initial protests from General Lane, J'onn persuaded them to let him go, with Lucy giving the order for them to do so, and General Lane eventually agreeing. Before she left, Kara gave Alex the necklace her mother had given her, to keep it safe. Supergirl and J'onn arrived at Fort Rozz with Non and Indigo meeting them. The two villains announced their plan, and both sides engaged each other in battle, with Supergirl and Non fighting each other, and Indigo and J'onn battling one another. Around the world, citizens held their heads in pain as the Myriad signal increased. Back in Nevada, J'onn defeated Indigo by ripping her in half, while Supergirl and Non faced off in a heat vision battle, with Kara coming out victorious.
However, a dying Indigo revealed that she had locked Fort Rozz's system, so they couldn't fly away the ship, which was powering Myriad. Inside Fort Rozz, Kara told Alex over her intercom that she was going to fly Fort Rozz into space herself, telling her sister goodbye in the process. After successfully taking Fort Rozz out of Earth's atmosphere, Supergirl went unconscious. Though she was saved by Alex Danvers, who used Kara's pod to rescue her. Back at the D.E.O., Alex gave Kara her necklace back and explained what had happened. In the control center, everyone applauded Supergirl as she came out. General Lane soon arrived and told J'onn that the President had pardoned him, and reinstated him as Director of the D.E.O.. Elsewhere, Maxwell Lord gave General Lane the Omegahedron.
The next day at CatCo, Kara received a message from Clark, who told Kara how proud he was of her. Cat Grant then came to Kara's desk, putting her items into a box, and though Kara thought she was getting fired, Cat led her to her new office and told her she was getting a promotion. When she asked what Cat wanted her to do, Cat told her to think about what she might have to offer first, and then they will discuss her new job together. She also properly called Kara's name for the first time. Later at her apartment, Kara, Alex, J'onn, Winn, and James had prepared a celebratory dinner together. James called Kara away for a minute to present her with a present - a picture of herself that he had taken. The two then kissed, and Kara was called to do her trick with the champagne bottle. The entire group then toasted to family. While doing so, a pod flying in the sky caught their attention, causing Kara and J'onn to leave to check it out. At the crash site, Kara recognized the pod as identical to hers, as it was from Krypton. She then went to open it, being surprised at what she found inside.
- This is Calista Flockhart's last episode as a series regular as she is downgraded to recurring for Season 2. This is due to the set moving from Los Angeles to Vancouver after the series was taken by The CW and the actress' unwillingness to leave her family in Los Angeles.
- This is the last episode where Peter Facinelli, Glenn Morshower and Jenna Dewan appear in their respective roles in Supergirl.
- This is the last episode of to be on CBS, then the show would move to The CW for Season 2 onwards.
- When promoting Kara, Cat says she is having an "end of Working Girl moment". Calista Flockhart is married to Harrison Ford, who starred in the 1988 rom-com Working Girl, which features the main protagonist trying to make a name for herself in the business world.
- The "Champagne Trick" that Kara does at the end of the episode is a reference to the same trick that Superman does in the movie Superman II when he invites Lois to the Fortress of Solitude.
- Supergirl struggled greatly to lift Fort Rozz, which was said to weigh 1 million tons. This shouldn't have been a problem, considering that Kara nearly effortlessly lifted the Fortress of Solitude's key, "a million tons of condensed dwarf star matter" in "".
- Alex warns Supergirl that there will be no gravity in space. In reality, all matter has gravity and it is all over the universe. What Alex should have said was there will be no atmosphere in space.
- If the Myriad signal was strong enough and had enough of a range to envelop the planet, then sending it above the atmosphere would not stop it from killing a significant portion of the population.
- The Red Vines lettering on the package Winn is holding is shown in reverse.
- It's never revealed what Max Lord did with the Omegahedron he recieved.
|"" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • " "|