- "I've been working on something new. Something better."
- —Peter Gambi on the second iteration of Black Lightning's suit[src]
- 1 History
- 2 Capabilities
- 3 Known users
- 4 Appearances
- 5 Gallery
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Behind the Scenes
- 8 References
Acting as a vigilante known as "Black Lightning," Peter Gambi created Jefferson Pierce a protective suit to also conceal his identity. Jefferson eventually stopped using it when he retired from vigilantism. The suit is very similar to one he wore in later comics. The shirt is blue, black, and gold in color, with the arm sleeves extending to his chest with lightning bolts. In addition, he wore a domino mask to conceal his face. The suit was, however, not bulletproof.
Choosing to pick back up vigilantism, Pierce went to see Gambi, who gave him a new suit he'd been working on. The new suit, unlike the first one, is more armored and has more technology built into it. The lightning bolts on his chest now glow blue and yellow when active. In addition, Jefferson now wears goggles as opposed to his original domino mask.
After having to work with the A.S.A., under Odell, he gave Jefferson a new suit from a high-tech watch that will automatically materialize when he uses his powers through the watch. B
During the Anti-Monitor Crisis, both Jefferson and the suit were destroyed by a wave of antimatter, but Jefferson was brought back during the rebirth of the universe, where he wore a similar suit on Earth-Prime.
- Identity concealment: The primary purpose of the suits are to conceal Jefferson's identity from those that may recognize him. The second iterations goggles can turn black in order to further conceal his identity, however, he only seems to do this when he is in the presence of someone who Jeff knows, such as when he did so when in front of his daughters, Anissa and Jennifer.
- Enhanced Durability: Due to the extensive injuries Jefferson sustained when he wore the first suit as Black Lightning, Peter Gambi designed the second suit to be able to absorb more damage and enhance Jefferson's durability. It has shown to be able to protect Jefferson from gunshots, leaving him completely unharmed.
- Electric vision: The goggles of his second suit includes the upgrade of allowing Jefferson to see objects that have an electric current running through them.
- Flight mode: Gambi added a feature that allows Jefferson to boost himself up into the air. However, this feature began giving him headaches soon after using it.
- Control module: Inside the right gauntlet of the suit is a tiny piece of technology that that is removable, and when inserted, it activates the suit and lights up the lightning bolt symbols on the suits chest, and when removed, shuts down.
- Gauntlets: Thanks to Gambi's upgrades, the right gauntlet now allows for Jeff to create a thinner flow of electricity, for when dealing with a large crowd of people, Jeff can easily fire the electricity at the intended target. This upgrade also allows Jeff to create a shield of electricity.
- Communication systems: The suit contains communication systems so that Gambi can talk to Jefferson while Jeff is out as Black Lightning.
- Camouflage Mode: Gambi added a feature that allows Jefferson to hide in plain sight.
- "The thing is, you got a lot of electricity coursing through your nervous system right now. I got this suit to protect me. You don't, meta."
- —Black Lightning to Carson Williams[src]
- Power regulation: The suit allows Jeff to withstand his own electricity, which would overwhelm him if he wasn't wearing it while he used his powers.
Suit on display
- According to Gambi, the suit is the only thing that prevents Jefferson's nervous system from shutting down when he uses his powers.
Behind the Scenes
- Hartley Sawyer was known to admire the mask for the costume, as it didn't need glued to Cress's face; Sawyer noted his Elongated Man mask would be glued to his face all day, while Cress-a mask came off magneticaly from magnets glued in place.
|Other versions of Black Lightning suits|
|To see other versions of this suit, click the Earth name below for that Earth's counterpart of Black Lightning suit.|