Brie Larvan, styled as Queen Bee and nicknamed Bug-Eyed Bandit by Cisco Ramon and Ray Palmer, is a former mechanical engineer at Mercury Labs. After her termination, Brie became a criminal seeking revenge on those who enabled this with an army of robotic bees she designed herself. She eventually became a member of the Young Rogues.
Working at Mercury Labs
Brie Larvan once worked at Mercury Labs, where she headed a project developing robotic bees for agricultural purposes. However, Larvan continued to develop them for unauthorized military-grade application, leading to Lindsay Kang and Bill Carlisle reporting her to their boss, Tina McGee. Afterwards, Larvan was fired.
Targeting her former co-workers
Growing bitter from being fired, Larvan decided to target and kill her former co-workers as revenge. She sent her bees remotely after Kang and then Carlisle, killing them both by injecting copious amounts of apitoxin. She was almost thwarted by The Flash and his team, but the bees stung The Flash, nearly killing him. Brie sent her bees after Tina McGee, but before long she was located by the S.T.A.R. Labs team, who sent The Flash. She sent some bees to swarm him but was fought for control by an unknown hacker. In the end, Larvan's opponent was able to both turn the bees off and redirect those directed at Dr. McGee, in turn short-circuiting them. Larvan was ultimately captured by the Flash and arrested. She was incarcerated at Iron Heights Prison.
Taking Palmer Tech hostage
Shortly after being imprisoned at Iron Heights, Larvan learned that a cancerous tumor was attached to her spine and the surgery to remove it would cost her the use of her legs. Not wanting this outcome and learning about the implantable bio-stimulant which helped Felicity Smoak to walk again, Larvan hacked prison records to change her release date to March 29, 2016.
Larvan reactivated and added upgrading software to her bees. She then traveled to Star City and broke into Palmer Technologies. Larvan held its board of directors hostage, killing a member in the process with her bees, and demanded to know where Felicity was. She then sent a message throughout the building, demanding Felicity to surrender herself in 10 minutes or she would start killing the board members. After several minutes of Larvan's bees chasing Felicity, Thea Queen, and Donna Smoak, the Green Arrow, Black Canary, and Spartan showed up. They attempted to get inside the building but were stopped by Larvan's bees, resulting in the Green Arrow getting stung and forcing Larvan to add another five minutes to her demands due to the sudden appearance of Team Arrow.
After Felicity and Thea rescued the board members, Larvan proceeded to take them hostage in the CEO's office. Felicity gave Larvan access to the lab where the designs for the spinal chip was held. However, while studying the designs, Larvan recognized Felicity's code as similar to that used by the hacker who sent her to jail a year prior. Wanting revenge for her imprisonment, Larvan went back to Felicity's office to kill her. Suddenly, the Green Arrow burst into the room, having recovered from their earlier encounter. The vigilante then fired an arrow which held a virus developed by Curtis Holt at Larvan's bees, allowing Curtis to shut them down. Larvan then shot the Green Arrow with her gun and began to threaten everybody in the room. However, Curtis reactivated the bees himself and proceeded to have them sting Larvan multiple times, causing her to fall into a coma.
The SCPD then picked up Larvan up and took her to Starling General Hospital to be treated. Once Larvan recovered from her coma, she presumably returned to Central City. She also received surgery for her tumor (off-screen).
Rogue membership offer
Larvan arrived with Joslyn Jackam and Peter Merkel, each assuming one of the team hired them for the job. Nora West-Allen/XS revealed she hired the Young Rogues, much to everyone's surprise. Nora explained she needed them to steal a weapon called the mirror gun from McCulloch Tech to sell it for $1 million on the black market. As the group worked, they discussed being betrayed by people they once trusted. The Young Rogues first broke into S.T.A.R. Labs to steal Spencer Young's phone and kidnap Cisco Ramon, also kidnapping Sherloque Wells in the process. Nora forced Cisco to alter Spencer's phone in order to hack into McCulloch Tech's and control Larvan's bees. The Young Rogues infiltrated McCulloch Tech and after neutralizing the security guards, they decided to betray Nora. The Young Rogues tied Nora to a chair with the guards and filmed a video to the city, demanding the Flash to reveal his identity. However, the "guards" were actually Team Flash in disguise. Once the team destroyed the power dampener, Larvan was arrested with the rest of the Young Rogues.
The zealous scientific mind Brie possessed is only matched by her ambition and vengeance. Initially designing robotic bees for agriculture to help the environment, Brie became obsessed with designing them for military purposes; not realizing the destructive potential for such an endeavor caused Brie to believe her co-workers, Lindsay Kang and Bill Carlisle, and superior, Tina McGee, had betrayed the former by terminating her from Mercury Labs. As a result, Brie grew determined to right what she perceived to be a wrong by killing the trio with her army of bees as an act of cruel irony.
Brie is only concerned with her own welfare and being. Thus, her lack of morals make her actions in this regard leads her to take extreme measures; Brie didn't want to be rendered paralyzed from a surgery to save her life, to the point that she was willing to murder an entire board of innocent victims to steal Felicity Smoak's technology.
Brie has a deep affinity for bees and their paraphernalia, from designing miniature robotic bees and outfitting her lair with hive designs. Brie even dressed accordingly with colors, such as yellow and honeycomb patterns. Despite her cold and bitter nature, Brie embodied a particular sense of humor when it concerns bees; for example, Brie asked McGee if she could be "buzzed" in, described her vengeance to Barry Allen as a "sting of betrayal", and continuously enunciated "bee" in the words of her sentences during her siege of Palmer Technologies.
With or without this humorous edge, Brie does not shy from brutal means to obtain revenge, such as suffocating Bill with her bees and stinging Lindsay to death for getting her fired, Though brilliant, Brie's obsessive and arrogant nature are more prevalent, such as defying the Flash despite her lack of powers, which caused Brie to be easily restrained when her bees were deactivated. Brie also went to excessive lengths to murder Felicity despite having already obtained the technology required to cure her paralysis, resulting in Team Arrow apprehending her.
Powers and abilities
- Robotic bee application: Using her army of robotic bees, Brie is able to mimic the powers of meta-humans.
- Hive-mind: Brie is able to control her bees at will and give them specific commands.
- Genius-level intellect/Master engineer: Brie is a highly intelligent engineer. After years of research, she was able to develop perfected agricultural robotic bees. Brie also modified her swarm of bees into military-grade weapons with real venom. She later design the bees with more advanced features, including the ability to evolve in response to attacks and materialize into different corporeal forms.
- Computer specialist/Master computer hacker: Brie is a highly skilled computer specialist and hacker, as she was able to hack into the computer system at S.T.A.R. Labs and cause one of the monitors to explode. Her hacking skills are able to rival those of Felicity Smoak's, although Brie was ultimately defeated in their battle for control over the robotic bees. Brie was able to change her prison release date using a basic computer at Iron Heights. She even deduced that Felicity was the same hacker who worked with Team Flash to send her to prison a year prior due to the similarities between the coding.
- Skilled hand-to-hand combatant: Brie is proven to have some skills in unarmed combat, as she was able to quickly knock out an armed guard.
- Paralysis: Due to a cancerous tumor in her spine, Brie was in danger of becoming a paralytic once it was removed, and now requires an implantable bio-stimulant designed by Felicity Smoak in order to walk again.
- Robotic bees: Brie created robotic bees for agricultural use. However, she later designed them for military use, with the venom in each their stingers powerful enough to kill a full-grown elephant. Brie was later able to ensure they adapt and evolve in response to cyber, sonic, etc. attacks and materialize into a combat robot. Brie later modified the bees into a gauntlet arm cannon, which can appear upon her hand at will.
- Spencer Young's phone: Upon joining the Young Rogues, Brie was given Spencer Young's meta-tech phone by Nora West-Allen.
The Chronicles of Cisco
- Brie Larvan is the first case of gender-bending in . The others are Linda Park of Earth-2, Rosa Dillon, Mina Chaytan, Izzy Bowin, Janet Petty, Spencer Young, Joslyn Jackam, and Raya Van Zandt.
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics, Bug-Eyed Bandit is a villain of The Atom, but is, in fact, a man named Bertram Larvan.
- In "", Cisco Ramon initially planned on naming Brie "Queen Bee". In the DC comics, Queen Bee has been a name shared by four super-villains, two of whom are extraterrestrials who rule over an insect planet, while the other two are human queens of the fictional nation of Bialya. Also in the New 52, an interpretation of the character is the leader of H.I.V.E., known under the alias of the H.I.V.E. Queen.
- In "" when called "Bug-Eyed Bandit", Brie angrily demands not to be called that, as it is "their name" for her, showing that she prefers the "Queen Bee" moniker.