- "Bruce gave me a great piece of advice once. Grow into the person you needed as a kid."
- —Kate Kane[src]
Bruce Wayne (born February 19) is a well-known billionaire, philanthropist, and former owner of Wayne Enterprises. He is the son of the late Thomas and Martha Wayne, the nephew of Jacob Kane and the cousin of Kate and Beth Kane.
Sometime after his parents' murder, he became Gotham City's vigilante known as Batman, or simply The Bat, stylized as the "Dark Knight". In 2015, he suddenly disappeared for unknown reasons. This led to the local crime rate rising higher than ever before. His iconic symbol, the Bat-Signal was finally shut off by the Gothamites to represent the permanence of his absence in 2018. His cousin Kate eventually discovered his secret identity and took on the mantle as the new vigilante known as Batwoman.
Sometime after his parents' murder, Bruce committed himself to being the protector of Gotham City becoming a vigilante and crafting himself a bat-inspired persona to fight crime and strike terror into the hearts of his enemy he eventually became known as Batman, though his existence is considered a sort of urban legend.
Over the years, Bruce began working as the CEO of his family company, Wayne Enterprises. In his office, Bruce kept the necklace his mother wore on the night of her death in a square pyramid-shaped glass container. The case also functioned as an entrance into an elevator that lead to an underground base where Bruce kept his Batman suit and gadgets. His maternal younger cousins Beth and Kate Kane, with whom he was very close to, often went visiting his place of work or tried to sneak into his office.
Kane family car crash
After having been Batman long enough for the public to be aware of him, Bruce was in pursuit of a school bus that had been hijacked by the Joker in January 2003. Through happenstance, the bus impacted a car that contained Bruce's two cousins and aunt, which caused the car to to crash on a bridge. He tactically shot two hooks with his grapple gun at his family's car, which was about to fall off of the bridge, securing it at the bridge and allowing Kate to escape, then he quickly left to save the 34 children on the bus that crashed into the Kanes' car. However, the part of the car his grapple was attached to separated from the rest of it, causing Beth and his aunt to fall into the river below. Bruce searched for their bodies, but was only able to find his aunt's. Due to Kate thinking that Batman didn't care about the rest of her family, Bruce took it upon himself to comfort his cousin as himself, which Kate greatly appreciated. Despite the two being family, Bruce never told her his secret identity.
Hiring Luke Fox
Eventually Bruce employed Luke Fox as the head of Wayne Security and shared his secret identity with him. However, presumably due to a violation of his trust, he once fired Luke, but eventually reinstated him.
Around 2015, Bruce left Gotham City for unknown reasons, also leaving behind his identity as Batman. His cousin, Kate Kane, was left in charge of his properties in Gotham, while Luke remained responsible for watching over the Wayne Enterprises building.
Batman's existence was never fully confirmed to the public, making him a myth. While most individuals (including Barry Allen) believed that he did exist, other individuals (like Oliver Queen) believed that Batman was never real, but in fact an urban legend created by the GCPD in order to scare the criminals of the city.
Bruce is a no-nonsense and blunt individual. As Batman, he is very stoic and committed to helping Gotham City.
According to Luke Fox; Bruce is a very caring and selfless individual, as he not only cares about protecting the citizens of Gotham from criminals, but also members of his family as well, Bruce also has a very close relationship with his cousin, Kate Kane, as he provided her with emotional support; following the death of her mother and the apparent death of her sister, Beth Kane respectively.
- Peak of human physical condition: As a vigilante, Bruce is in top physical condition.
- Skilled gadgeteering: Bruce is a skilled user of gadgets, carrying tons of those to fight crime.
- High-level intellect/Great business acumen: Bruce is very intelligent; despite his part-time vigilantism, he managed to run Wayne Enterprises very successfully for many years without any perceivable difficulty.
- Expert of deception: Bruce has managed to successfully keep his identity as Batman a secret for many years.
- Intimidation: As Batman, Bruce is as just as intimidating to criminals as to those he protects from them.
- Batman suit: Whilst fighting crime in Gotham, Bruce wore a protective black suit stylized like a bat that also hid his identity from his enemies. After his disappearance, he abandoned the suit and it was later redesigned by Luke Fox and utilized by Kate Kane as Batwoman.
- Batarang: Batman uses a roughly bat-shaped throwing weapon.
- Grapple gun: As Batman, Bruce uses a length of monofilament wire attached to a spool.
- Given that Bruce began his career as Batman before 2003 and continued for 12 years, he is the first known vigilante on Earth-1 and is one of the most experienced superheroes in the known multiverse (aside from J'onn J'onzz).
- Bruce doesn't have a middle name.
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics, Bruce Wayne is a vigilante hero known as Batman, the protector of Gotham City, a man dressed like a bat who fights against evil and strikes terror into the hearts of criminals everywhere. He is also a former mentor of Dick Grayson/Nightwing, who is the protector of Blüdhaven. He is also an occasional ally of Oliver Queen/Green Arrow, Barry Allen/Flash, and Clark Kent/Superman, the latter third of whom is his most frequent ally.
- From what Luke and Kate have discussed, Bruce doesn't have a middle name. This also lines up with the comics in which the character doesn't have one.
- In the original script for "", it was not Bruce Wayne but some other unrelated person's name on it. Stephen Amell himself suggested Bruce Wayne's name on the script after receiving approval from Warner Bros. Entertainment CEO Kevin Tsujihara, Greg Berlanti and DC Entertainment executive Geoff Johns.
|Other versions of Bruce Wayne|
|To see other versions of this character, click the Earth name below for that Earth's counterpart of Bruce Wayne.|
|Earth: Prime |
Earth: 1 • 2 • 27 • 38 • 99 • 203 • TUD14