- For the episode of the same name, see "".
- For the instrument this item was inspired by, see Sonic device.
- For its upgraded version, see Sonic bracelet.
- "I've had some practice with sound waves recently. I think you should call it 'The Canary Cry.'"
- —Cisco Ramon to Laurel Lance[src]
After Laurel Lance approached Cisco Ramon to improve her sister Sara's sonic device, he refitted it to work in a collar, known as the "Canary Cry", though more powerful; Cisco quadrupled the range of the sonic blast and tripled the resonance. In return, Laurel gave Cisco a picture of him and the Black Canary together.
Laurel used the Canary Cry to attack and stun her opponents whilst in the field as Black Canary. She also took down opponents with special technological abilities; Curtis Holt once briefly adjusted the Canary Cry's scream so Laurel could cancel out the frequency of Brie Larvan's robotic bees.
After Laurel's death, the Canary Cry was stolen by an orphaned teenager named Evelyn Sharp, who modified it to work with her vocal cords and produce deadlier sonic waves. Evelyn began masquerading as Black Canary and used the Canary Cry in her crusade to kill anyone affiliated with H.I.V.E. in order to avenge her parents' deaths. After Green Arrow talked her down, she dropped the Black Canary moniker, but still used the Canary Cry for her other vigilante activities in Star City.
Sometime after joining Team Arrow, Evelyn returned the Canary Cry to them.
- "I bumped up the specs. Quadrupled the range, tripled the resonance. You should be able to do some serious damage with this thing."
- —Cisco Ramon to Laurel Lance
- Sonic attack: Like the sonic device, the Canary Cry can generate sonic waves. Whilst in the field, Laurel Lance wears the collar on her neck to produce high frequency waves which have proven to be powerful enough to shatter glass and blast an adult male several feet back through the air. It appears to be activated by the wearer's shriek (making it look like a sonic scream). After Evelyn Sharp modified the Canary Cry, it produced sonic waves at much higher decibels, becoming so powerful even Team Arrow's protective earplugs, which were designed to block the Canary Cry, became ineffective against it.
- Voice recognition: Cisco Ramon designed the Canary Cry to specifically recognize and work with only Laurel's vocal cords. After Evelyn stole it, she tuned the device to operate with her voice as well.
Behind the scenes
- The Canary Cry is the ability used by Black Canary in DC comic books and was showcased in various other media. Generally, the Canary Cry is initially portrayed as a magically-induced and later genetic ability that Black Canary was born with.
- In the original comics, Dinah Lance had her throat slit during a mission gone wrong with Green Arrow, subsequently losing her meta-human sonic scream due to the damage to her vocal cords. Afterwards, she was given a technological sonic device that could mimic her original abilities. Eventually however, Dinah's powers were restored after she was given access to a Lazarus Pit by Ra's al Ghul.
- The design of the Canary Cry weapon as a choker is a nod to Black Canary's classic costume.