- For other people who used the "Canary" identity, see Canary.
- "The life you want, Dinah—being a superhero is not what it's cracked up to be. It's dangerous. It's ugly. It is relentless, and it will wear you down. I won't let you throw your future away."
- —Carolyn Lance to her daughter, Dinah Redmond[src]
- "We could actually make this a safer world. That's what Black Canary tried to do, and for a long time, she was successful."
- —Barbara Gordon to Dinah Redmond[src]
Carolyn at some point became known as the Black Canary, a superhero protecting New Gotham and one of the first superheroines. She later worked as an ally of Batman. Along with this, she had a series of conflicts with Bruce's lover, Selina Kyle.
Carolyn gave birth to a daughter, Dinah. After discovering that she wasn't developing meta-human powers by age 6, in order to keep her safe, Carolyn left her with foster parents. However, this turned out for the worst as Dinah's foster mother, being a religious fanatic, would physically abuse the girl in an attempt to suppress her powers.
Powers and abilities
- "The Canary Cry."
- "Oh, a sonic wave of unparalleled might, able to shatter glass, crumble concrete, burst eardrums."
- —Dinah Redmond and Gibson Kafka[src]
- Meta-human physiology: From unknown means, Carolyn's DNA and cells were altered, enabling her to access her new-found powers.
- "Your mother single-handedly brought down New Gotham's most powerful organized crime family. All these guys were into gambling, extortion, drugs, women—the usual fun and games. Canary infiltrated, became one of them, handed the D.A. an airtight case. It was the stuff legends are made of."
- —Gibson Kafka to Dinah Redmond[src]
- Peak of human physical condition: As a vigilante, Carolyn was in top physical condition.
- Master hand-to-hand combatant/Martial artist: Carolyn was a highly skilled hand-to-hand combatant and martial artist. Gibson Kafka described her as "magnificent," "powerful," and "graceful" when she engaged in battle. He also described her as "loud" because of her Canary Cry.
- Stealth/Infiltration: According to her daughter, Carolyn is one of the greatest espionage agents in the world. Gibson Kafka stated that Carolyn brought down New Gotham City's most powerful organized crime family on her own by infiltrating them.
- Power-dampening tech: Carolyn's powers can be neutralized using power-dampening tech.
Birds of Prey
Behind the scenes
- Carolyn is based on Dinah Drake-Lance, the first person to take on the legacy mantle of Black Canary and member of the Justice Society of America, and the mother of her successor, Dinah Laurel Lance in the DC Comics.