Cecile Horton, also known as Ce-Seal-Your-Fate Horton to Ralph Dibny's criminal contacts, is the district attorney of Central City and a member of Team Flash. She is the girlfriend of Joe West and the mother of Joanie and Jenna West.
Learning about meta-humans
When a police cruiser camera apparently caught Detective Eddie Thawne shooting two officers without warning, Cecile Horton interrogated him at the CCPD. Although Captain David Singh was unwilling to believe Thawne to be capable of murder and CSI Barry Allen pointed out the lack of powder burns on his clothes, Cecile refused to budge without evidence.
Later, Cecile, Singh, and Barry watched security footage of the Flash fighting Hannibal Bates, who shape-shifted into multiple forms, including Thawne's. Realizing Thawne had been framed, Cecile remarked how the law wasn't ready for meta-human criminals and dropped the charges against him. Barry then provided Cecile evidence to exonerate the other victims Bates framed for his crimes.
Cecile was approached by her friend, Detective Joe West, who asked her to help him transport some imprisoned meta-humans to a secure location. However, she adamantly turned him down, as they could be arrested for it.
Love relationship with Joe West
Over a year later, Cecile informed Joe that the D.A.'s office had no information on Alchemy and guessed that his inquiry was meta-human-related. Later, she and Joe visited Rosa Dillon at Iron Heights for information on the whereabouts of her boyfriend Sam Scudder, who gained the powers to travel through mirroring surfaces, but she was uncooperative. Cecile and Joe briefly flirted, with Cecile mentioning his IOUs are adding up. Suddenly, Scudder appeared and broke Dillon out using his powers.
After Scudder and Dillon were apprehended by the Flash and Jesse Quick and sent to Iron Heights, Barry assured Cecile and Joe that Scudder couldn't escape as his cell was completely lined with anti-reflective material. Joe thanked Cecile for her help and she asked if he wanted to grab dinner tonight. Joe declined, stating that he had movie night with his kids. Cecile responded, "Another time, then."
A couple of weeks later, Cecile met with Barry and Julian Albert to inform Barry that he has been reassigned to working meta-human cases full-time to figure out the situation with the husks after the incident with The Rival. She then ran into Joe and expressed her excitement for their date. The next night, Cecile and Joe went to see The Shining at Hofherr Park. They reflected on their families and Cecile revealed she is a single parent as well and has a daughter who will be going off to college in the fall. Cecile then met Caitlin Snow, Cisco Ramon, and H.R. Wells and was instantly charmed by the latter. Suddenly, her and Joe's date was interrupted by an attack from the meta-human Shade.
Around Christmas, Joe gave Cecile files regarding the Dominator invasion. He invited her to a Christmas Eve party at the West house, which she accepted. The two proposed a challenge whether Joe's grandmother Esther or Cecile's grandmother Millie's eggnog was stronger. At the party, Cecile and Joe toasted to their grandmothers and their respective eggnog recipes. They shared a kiss, much to everyone's delight, especially Iris and Wally West.
Cecile was seen at the precinct with Joe, discussing apprehending an arms dealer who was supplying the Electric Gang with futuristic weapons. When Iris arrived to talk with her father, Cecile greeted her before going to check in with Singh.
Cecile and her daughter, Joanie, had coffee at CC Jitters with Barry, Iris, Wally, and Joe. However, their outing was interrupted when Clive Yorkin arrived and tried kill Joe. Wally, as Kid Flash, fended him off and saved the group. The next day, Cecile and Joanie visited Joe at the CCPD. Joe confirmed to a delighted Cecile that he is committed to their relationship for the long run.
After Barry proposed to Iris, Cecile and Joe meet with them at Jitters. Cecile congratulated the couple and complimented Iris's engagement ring. She became intrigued when Barry let slip Joe's singing ability. Cecile then mentioned that her sister has four spare tickets to Hamilton on the first weekend of July and invited Joe, Barry, and Iris to join her. They agreed after some hesitation.
Ally of Team Flash
After Cecile and Joe returned home from training for the Central City Marathon, Cecile accidentally told Joe she loves him, throwing him off. Later at work, Cecile apologized if her slip-up made Joe feel pressured to say "I love you" back, but he assured her it was fine. That night, Cecile visited Joe at home when he didn't answer her texts, asking what's been going on with him lately. Joe simply stated that part of his life was complicated and he didn't feel ready to share it with her, believing they should break up. Heartbroken, Cecile left in tears. Just then, she was captured by Killer Frost, who demanded Tracy Brand, the only person who could stop Savitar, in exchange for her life. Cecile was held hostage in Dressler Factory, where Joe, The Flash, Tracy, and Cisco arrived. As Cisco battled Killer Frost, Joe freed Cecile and took her to safety.
Cecile later met Joe at the precinct, assuring him her kidnapping wasn't his fault and stated he should've just been honest with her. Joe apologized for lying to her and told Cecile he loves her too, much to her joy. He then revealed to Cecile of Barry and Wally's secret identities and his work with Team Flash.
Cecile was prosecuting arsonist Lucious Coolidge, whose probable cause hearing was moved up by Judge Hankerson. Since Barry was the CSI officer assigned to the case, Cecile needed him to testify in court to hold Coolidge for trial. She called Joe, informing him she urgently needed Barry at the CCPD. However, Barry didn't appear to remember Cecile or that he was the Flash. Joe explained that Barry was dealing with amnesia after a failed experiment by Team Flash, much to Cecile's dismay.
Cecile and Joe were unable to stall the hearing. That afternoon, Cecile attempted to work with Barry's memory problem by questioning him as the latter used special glasses designed by Cisco and Julian Albert to testify. However, the glasses suddenly shorted out in the middle of Barry's testimony. Cecile was unable to do anything as Hankerson was forced to let Coolidge walk free due to the lack of evidence.
Battle with the Thinker
Cecile was talking to Joe about how they are going to live their life. Cecile makes the decision of moving to a different home. But when Hazard releases bad luck to many, the West Residence falls apart slowly. After Cecile put new coats on the wall, Joe wanted to move but Cecile changed her mind and then wanted to live at the West residence. Cecile revealed to be pregnant and Joe didn't know how to react.
Shortly after this, Cecile temporarily stepped down from her position of DA in order to be Barry's defense attorney after he was framed for Clifford DeVoe's murder; despite this, he was still sentenced to jail.
Becoming a meta-human
After Barry was sentenced, Cecile discovered that due to being in the city of the time Particle accelerator explosion she acquired the gestational meta ability of being telepathic, though it remained unclear whether the power was actually Cecile's, or if it was her future daughter's.
After Harry lost his intelligence by overloading his thinking cap, Joe asked him to distract her for a while. Harry and Cecile discovered together that Harry would lose all his knowledge with time, but Cecile could read Harry's ideas so Team Flash learned that DeVoe's plan was to strip anyone of their intelligence.
When DeVoe launched the satellites to start the Enlightenment (the name of his plan), Iris encouraged Marlize to help them to stop said plan. After all of them went to the pocket dimension, Marlize insisted that the only way to stop DeVoe was to enter to his mind, and Cecile with the cerebral inhibitor was part of the entrance there. Barry was put in the hoverchair and wore the cerebral link helmet to enter them. The problem was that if Cecile gave birth, she may lose her powers, and Barry might be trapped inside DeVoe's mind forever.
When DeVoe arrived for them, he used Null's powers on them all except Joe, and after failing to make Joe shoot himself, DeVoe started to choke Cecile although she was pregnant. Since Barry and Ralph left the portal, DeVoe was losing Ralph's possessed body and all his powers ceased blocking Team Flash and Marlize. Ralph recovered control of his body, but DeVoe could send himself to the hoverchair with Kilg%re's powers. When Marlize unplugged his program, DeVoe made the satellite Sally fall to Central City.
Right after Barry and another speedster destroyed the satellite, Cecile gave birth to her daughter, Jenna Marie West on May 22nd, 2018. The baby was received with a party at the West House. However, the Mystery Girl goes to the West house, where she introduces herself as Nora West-Allen, Barry and Iris's future daughter and admits she made some sort of mistake.
Seen as flirty, but serious when it comes to her job as the district attorney of Central City, Cecile is a kind woman who thinks the world of her new-found family, the Wests and Team Flash, as a single mother of a teenage daughter, Cecile understands Joe West's struggles of when he was raising Iris West and Barry Allen alone. She loves Joe and the life they have started building together and has long since come to think of Barry, Iris and Wally West as her own. Known to be competitive, Cecile isn't one to back down from a challenge.
When it comes to her work, Cecile doesn't allow her personal life affect her job, when she discovers that she was telepathic, she showed excitement as she believed that these new-found powers would make her more of an asset for Team Flash.
Cecile is also self-conscious about her appearance. When she was several months pregnant, she worried about how others thought about how she looked.
Powers and abilities
- "Well, she is a highly sensitive empath and Cicada emanates hate. D.A. Cecile Horton will serve as our early warning detection system."
- —Harrison Sherloque Wells[src]
- Meta-human physiology: From unknown means, Cecile possessed residual dark matter energy in her body from the first particle accelerator explosion which was activated from her pregnancy and with this altered her DNA and cells, enabling Cecile to access her new-found powers.
- Telepathy: Cecile developed a minor form of telepathy, able to hear the thoughts of anyone near her.
- Empathy: An ability Cecile showed near the final stages of her pregnancy. If a person was close enough to her, Cecile started to act like the said person, such as when Caitlin was nervous, Cecile became nervous. It can go to the point where Cecile can actually believe she is the said person. This also allowed her to help Barry get inside Clifford DeVoe's mind. When Ralph and Cecile investigate more into Cicada's identity she was able to still read the feelings of the worker.
- Telepathy: Cecile developed a minor form of telepathy, able to hear the thoughts of anyone near her.
- High-level intellect/Master lawyer: Cecile is very intelligent, as the district attorney of Central City, she is an excellent lawyer; as Cecile has successfully prosecuted many criminals and has rarely lost a case.
- Network: As the district attorney, Cecile has access to the resources of her office and the Central City Police Department.
- Intimidation: According to Ralph, she is feared by criminals.
The Chronicles of Cisco
- Cecile enjoys French roast coffee.
- It’s heavily implied that Cecile is religious, as she convinced Joe to go to church and taught him Catholic prayers.
- Season 2 is the only season of where Cecile does not appear at all.
- Barry and Iris's future daughter Nora refers to Cecile as "Mama Cecile", implying that Cecile is the closest grandmotherly figure she's ever known. This is understandable, given that both of Nora's biological grandmothers, Nora Allen and Francine West, died long before she was born.
- This may also imply that Cecile and Joe are married in Nora's time.
- After giving birth to Jenna in "", Cecile's powers remained intact, seeing as they were activated by her pregnancy. A woman's body undergoes many changes during pregnancy, but some changes are lifelong. This means Cecile may retain her telepathic powers, though it is unknown if Jenna will develop meta-human abilities as well.
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics, Cecile Horton was a character in the Trial of The Flash storyline, where she was The Flash defense attorney when he was on trial for the murder of the Reverse-Flash but ultimately failed to sway the jury in his favor. However, unlike on the show, Barry was actually guilty of the murder in the comics.