Charles (died 3000) was a researcher of cybernetic implants and a former member of the Justice Society of America known as Dr. Mid-Nite. He was one of the meta-humans in the JSA targeted by the Dominators in 1951.
After the Legends forced Albert Einstein to reveal Mileva Maric as a ghost collaborator, Dr. Mid-Nite and the Justice Society of America intercepted them, wanting to bring them in for questioning. Obsidian used his powers to darken the skies, allowing the JSA to fight the Legends. Dr. Mid-Nite struggled with Ray Palmer, before knocking down Mick Rory, taking in the team for questioning. After proving that they weren't a threat, they let them go, providing they didn't return. Soon after, when a fight in a Parisian nightclub broke out, the JSA arrived, settling it. The Legends revealed that they had access to a timeship, suggesting that they work together. They headed to the Fontainebleau Forest, intercepting some Nazis and taking on their target, Krieger, just closely escaping, albeit with Ray and Amaya kidnapped. Shortly following, Krieger used a biomolecular enhancer, causing Commander Steel and Dr. Mid-Nite to take him on. Commander Steel fired shots at him, causing Krieger to go after him, leading to his ultimate demise. Following this ordeal, the Legends handed over the Askaran Amulet to the JSA, who went on their way.
In 1956, the Justice Society traveled to Leipzig, aided by Rip Hunter, to recover the Spear of Destiny. Breaking it into four pieces, Charles took a piece to the year 3000, where he hid it inside himself and began posing as a researcher of cybernetic implants. Using future technology, he was also able to cure his blindness. Charles was soon found by Rip, who had been brainwashed by the Legion of Doom. Rip asked for Charles' shard of the Spear, but the latter refused to give it to him, sensing something wasn't right. Rip then took the shard by force, cutting it out off Charles and fatally wounding him. With his dying breath, Charles painted the word "RIP" on the ground to reveal the identity of his killer.
Powers and abilities
- Meta-human physiology: From unknown means, Charles's DNA and cells were altered, enabling him to access his new-found powers.
- Superhuman opposite spectral and intensity range: Dr. Mid-Nite possessed the meta-human ability to see perfectly in the dark. He used this ability during the JSA's brief fight with the Legends. Dr. Mid-Nite identified his team members around him after Obsidian created a thick cloud of shadow around them and then countered an attack from Heat Wave who was attempting to attack him from behind.
- Retinal Blast: By simply looking at Ray Palmer, Dr. Mid-Nite managed to make him back off and shield his eyes, as if he was producing some form of ranged attack from his eyes.
- Genius-level intellect: Charles was a researcher of cybernetic implants in 3000.
- Peak of human physical condition: As a former member of the JSA, Charles was in top human condition.
- Expert combatant/Martial artist: Charles has shown to be highly trained in close quarters combat.
- Darkness dependency: Charles's ability to see in total darkness came with the drawback that he would be completely blind in normal lighting. However, at some point after traveling into the future to protect his fragment of the Spear of Destiny, he found a cure for his blindness.
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
- "" (as Dr.Mid-Nite)
- "" (as Dr.Mid-Nite)
- "" (pictured; as Dr. Mid-Nite)
- "" (indirectly mentioned)
- "" (flashback)
- "" (mentioned)
Behind the scenes
- Kwesi Ameyaw later played Cassian in Season 4 of and played Davis Wellington in Season 1 of .
- In the DC comics, Doctor Mid-Nite is a legacy of superheroes who are all blind physicians with the ability to see in darkness. The original version, Charles McNider, was a member of the Justice Society of America.