- "Did what I had to. Shapeshifted into whatever monster would keep the others off my back. You know exactly what it's like. Pretending to be something worse than you are to survive."
- —Charlie to Mick Rory[src]
Clotho, better known as Charlie, is an ancient Greek deity, specifically one of the three Fates, distinguished as the former spinner of the Loom of Fate, a former member of the Legends and the singer of The Smell.
Thousands of years ago, Clotho betrayed her sisters, Atropos and Lachesis, by destroying the Loom of Fate, and scattering its pieces across the multiverse, wanting mortals to shape their own destinies and diminishing the Fates' powers drastically. While on the run, she hid her real identity as an ordinary shape-shifter named "Charlie" and was sent to Mallus's realm by fearful humans, but later escaped when the Legends freed Mallus from his prison, opening the way for other magical beings like her to make their way back to Earth. She found herself in London in the year 1977 and joined a band named the Smell. After being almost sent to Hell by the Legends, John Constantine locked her in Amaya Jiwe's form, making her lose access to her powers and, subsequently, her immortality. She was momentarily incarcerated on the Waverider, but after offering her assistance to the team, she joined the Legends on their mission to prevent the magical fugitives from wreaking havoc on the timeline.
After the Crisis and the amalgamation of universes from the original multiverse into what is now known as Earth-Prime, the pieces of the loom all exist on the same plane, restoring her sisters' powers, who threatened to kill Charlie and her loved ones. After Natalie Logue and Constantine made Charlie confront her own past, Charlie revealed her history to the Legends, who promised to help and support her through the ordeal.
When Sara Lance pulled Atropos' life thread and entangled it with the other threads that the Loom was manipulating, the mixture caused the Loom to explode. Without the Loom, Charlie and Lachesis became mortals. Later, Charlie eventually decided to return to the Smell and settle down since she didn't have to run anymore.
- 1 Biography
- 1.1 Original multiverse
- 1.2 New multiverse
- 2 Personality
- 3 Powers and abilities
- 4 Equipment
- 5 Appearances
- 6 Gallery
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Behind the scenes
- 9 References
Destroying the Loom of Fate
In ancient times, the Greek Fates, comprised of Clotho and her sisters, used to weave the threads of the Loom of Fate, Atropos and Lachesis, with the former being responsible to decide how a human would be born, until she destroyed the Loom of Fate and scattered its pieces all across the multiverse, wanting mortals to take grasp of their own desired destinies. In Ancient Egypt, Charlie visited the Enchantress and asked her to keep a piece of the Loom. This drastically diminished her sisters' powers, giving way for Clotho's escape.
A new identity
Fearing Charlie, humans imprisoned her in Mallus' realm for what felt like 500 years. There, she met every magical creature banished from the mortal realm. She resided there until the Legends freed Mallus from his realm, also allowing the other inhabitants to escape.
Aberrant timeline: Charlie posed as Queen Elizabeth II and ordered the queen's servants to take her to the room where the queen's crown jewels were kept. and wore them to one of The Smell's gigs. Charlie partied the night away, still in the form of the queen. This caused the real queen to be diagnosed with a mental illness and to be institutionalized, also causing the British monarchy to fail and England to descend into chaos. The queen's "cheeky jig" also launched The Smell's rise to stardom.
Current timeline: When the Legends found The Smell's gig, John Constantine and Mick Rory accidentally caused a bar-fight and alerted nearby police officers, who almost apprehended the anti-establishment band members. The Smell managed to escape in Ray Palmer's car. When they got to the band's place, Charlie commended Ray, who was American, for being a rebel, as he drove on the wrong side of the road. Charlie got a knock on their door and saw their driver, who introduced himself as "Rage", for all the various accounts of fits of rage he had. She introduced herself, allowed him into their abode, and introduced "Rage" to the other band members, who were skeptical of him. Charlie decided to include him in their next scheme, Operation: Mum's Bum.
They drove to St James's Park, near Buckingham Palace, where Charlie tested their aspiring member "Rage" by stealing one of the queen's corgis to teach the hypocrite queen for feeding her dogs to beef Wellington, leaving the poor to starve. Minutes later, they saw "Rage", who was holding the corgi named Sparky, being chased by the guards. They opened the door for "Rage" and drove off. They styled the dog with pink mohawk hair and dropped it off at the South West London Animal Rescue for Dogs. To celebrate their accomplishment, Charlie proposed that he should have a tattoo as a statement, and let Gilly give him one with an unsterilized needle. Charlie then declared that she was going to steal the queen's crown jewels with a little bit of magic.
Charlie suddenly learned from the other band members that Ray was a "disco narc", and confronted him, before she opened their eyes, telling them the past is just the past, and all that matters is what they aspire to be in the present. Later, she gave a punk mixtape to "Rage", who revealed his name to be just Ray and what happened to his disco crew, which Charlie remarked to be barmy. She also revealed her shape-shifter physiology and imparted her story of how she got locked up by small-minded humans.
When the Legends stormed The Smell's place, Ray tried to persuade Charlie to escape, but was knocked out instead, his A.T.O.M. Exosuit stolen. Charlie tried to knock them all out, but Ray made it in time to disassemble the suit using voice recognition. Zari Tomaz trapped the shape-shifter with her air totem, but Charlie successfully persuaded her to be harmless, shape-shifting into the members of the Legends and into Amaya. John disagreed by casting a spell on Charlie to disable her from using most of her powers, locking her in Amaya Jiwe's form, and the team locked her up in the lab.
Joining the Legends
A week later, she met Ava Sharpe, who appreciated the team's initiative of extracting information from her. Charlie tricked Zari and tried to escape, but was eventually caught by Mick, who she had a conversation and drink with. When the team asked Charlie for help with their shtriga situation, Charlie revealed that contrary to popular belief of shtriga being ugly old women, she met one who was a handsome guy. In exchange for the information, Mick, who understood Charlie's beliefs on being imprisoned, freed her. She later returned to the ship with a complete makeover, offered her expertise on magical creatures, on the condition of not imprisoning her, and joined the Waverider crew.
The magical creature expert
During a mission in 1951 Tokyo, Japan, Charlie, Zari, Mick, and Sara found Ishirō Honda's footage of the magical creature supposedly causing an anomaly in the timeline. They saw a giant octopus in the film, a creature Charlie didn't recognize. The four Legends then went near Tokyo Bay to find the creature, but found Honda instead, who threw a book into the sea. They questioned the director's actions, when the book came flying back to him, and Charlie recognized it as Brigid's diary.
She listened to Honda's story and the creation of the land octopus Tagumo, who was Honda's interpretation of the nukes dropped on Hiroshima. Charlie thought of bonding the book with another artist but none were in the vicinity, to her dismay. When Tagumo suddenly attacked near the set, Charlie mistook Sara's orders as being bait for the octopus, and ran away. She ultimately returned when Sara was constrained by Tagumo's tentacle and distracted him, with Sara successfully shrinking the monster into the sewers. She was baffled when she saw Mick writing in the book, before Tagumo tried to kill Ishiro, when Garima, Mick's character, locked in combat with the beast, slaying Tagumo. Back on the Waverider, Charlie apologized for pillaging Sara's bottles of wine and in reconciliation, the two toasted drinks.
During Hank Heywood's inspection of the Waverider and its crew, Charlie was wholeheartedly listening to rock music when Nate Heywood, who thought she was Amaya after being pranked by Mick to find her, hugged Charlie by surprise, to which she took offense and punched him in the face. Sara and Ray explained how she became a Legend, but Nate disapproved of them keeping the creature pretending to be Amaya. Charlie snapped that she wasn't pretending to be anybody, as she was locked in Amaya's form without her consent. The two then agreed to fake their relationship in front of Hank, in order to prevent their funds from being cut off.
When Charlie left the ship, she came across Nate, who tried shut her out. She took offense once more, but she reminded him that he should not take his "beef" with Amaya out on her just because she looked like his ex. Suddenly, F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald heard them arguing and, incorrectly assuming they were a couple, invited them to drink at the Café du Dôme, hinting knowledge about the fugitive.
Charlie dragged along a reluctant Nate, who showed Salvador Dalí's illustration of the monster. Charlie recognized it as the minotaur and told his story of being rejected by his father and hiding in the maze, at which point Nate suddenly left to come up with a plan. The team returned to the Waverider to smell Constantine's concoction in the library, where they found out how to put the minotaur to sleep. At Nate's going-away party, he assured Charlie that she'd eventually find her place within the team, as he once did. The two shared a toast and presumably parted on good terms.
When Charlie learned that her shape-shifting abilities weren't completely inaccessible, she notified John, who didn't know of any spell to reverse her situation, and thought that he'll want to exchange favors, sooner or later. After Charlie, Zari, and John learned that a dybbuk was amok in New Orleans 1856, the three returned to the Waverider, but John had other plans with Charlie, and the two traveled to New Orleans 2018, five months before John hunted fugitives with the Legends, as preventing his former self from meeting his most recent lover Desmond will also prevent the demon Neron from possessing him, also preventing a guilt-ridden Constantine from joining the Legends and casting the spell on Charlie. She proceeded into the bar and successfully convinced John to drink and share stories at another place. When the two returned to the jump ship, their plan failed, as John had met Desmond a few days later instead, so they planned to return to New Orleans, but was stopped short by Gideon and Zari, who finally found out where and when they'd been and returned them to the Waverider.
Charlie then listened as John told them about his relationship with Desmond, to which Charlie realized he was stalling for him to escape once more to New Orleans after he met Desmond, and also told John of the tracker in his underpants. Charlie proceeded to the library and shape-shifted into John, except for half of her face, when Zari came in to inform that there are no possible loopholes and saw that he was not John. Charlie and Zari then proceeded to the jump ship, not before Charlie told why she supported John, which was to regain her immortality. Suddenly, the jump ship flew into a cataclysmic time wave, and Charlie found herself to have regained her shape-shifting ability and Zari to be a cat.
Fixing the timeline
Baffled by Zari the cat, Charlie decided to bring her back to the Waverider, but not before she dropped off at a casino in Las Vegas 1962, where she transformed into Marilyn Monroe and saw Red, her leprechaun friend during her time in Mallus's realm. The two reconnected, when Charlie told her friend to lay off of his magic because of the Legends. She then witnessed the Custodians of the Chronology storm the place and kill Red. The team introduced themselves to Charlie, who was in Marilyn Monroe's form, and returned to the Waverider. Charlie followed them, heard Zari in the library, and wondered why she was a cat, to which Gideon, who had a holographic full-body human model, explained that the Custodians became homicidal due their disastrous encounter at Woodstock, and that the Fairy Godmother, who was also presumably killed, turned Zari into a cat. Charlie transformed into Sara and proceeded to the bridge, where she informed the team to change their shoot-on-site policy, but was easily discovered to not be Sara, as the captain was already dead. Garima thrust her sword into Charlie, who healed instantly and escaped to the jumpship with Zari, flying to the Time Bureau headquarters in 2018.
She infiltrated the establishment as Gary Green and saw Sara's plaque regarding her death to a unicorn, when Hank Heywood told his tardy employee of the Custodians' recent execution of a leprechaun. Charlie asked where John Constantine might be, to which Hank expressed his frustration, as Gary himself confined John into a cell. Charlie found John and his record of being found insane for suspected time crimes. She showed Zari to John, who transmogrified her back into human form, but ultimately returned her back to a cat, as she threatened to set the timeline back to its original course.
They went out and saw Mona listening to their conversation, who was willing to help stop the Custodians, as they turned her friend Konane into a rug. They sneaked into Ava's office, but not before Charlie, still in Gary's form, ran into the real Gary, and told him that she's his future version and to stall the Custodians. They found a black-haired Ava, who was grieving over her loss, in her office and informed her that time is broken and that Sara is supposed to be alive, to which she spurred in to help them escape from the bureau.
The three Legends managed to flee, setting a course back to Woodstock 1969 and preventing Sara's death by shooting the unicorn from the jumpship, but it still didn't solve Zari's cat predicament, so they headed back to the Time Bureau, only for Charlie to see new plaques of commemoration for Nate, Ray, and Mick, who were killed in one of their missions. She also witnessed a new version of her team, the Sirens of Space-Time, composed of White Canary (Sara Lance), Roundhouse (Ava Sharpe), and Hard Drive (Gideon in human form), who were still homicidal towards magical fugitives.
To extract information on the boys' death, Charlie joined the Sirens as Amaya, with her original look. She learned of the three's tragic demise by the hands of the Fairy Godmother. Charlie briefed John on the situation, before the Sirens found her out, but successfully escaped and set a course back to Salem 1692, where Charlie transformed into the Fairy Godmother, and successfully tricked Prudence into relinquishing her, making the old woman powerless.
The two returned to the jumpship, only to find Zari as a puppet. Charlie later learned that Mick made a bond with the Fairy Godmother, turning the Legends into puppets and becoming his new partner in crime. Charlie and John continued on to fix the mistakes in the timeline, until there were no more commemorative plaques of the team in the Time Bureau headquarters. Charlie let Zari and John know, when John suddenly collapsed due to the amount of timelines he was currently experiencing. Charlie tried to persuade John to make the compromised timeline work, but he realized that nothing they do will be in their favor, and told Charlie to have hope in her powers as he does with saving Desmond. Charlie disagreed and tried to fight them, but was instantly knocked out by Zari's air totem.
After the two left, she recovered, transformed into Ava, and time couriered into the Waverider, informing the Legends of a fugitive alert in New Orleans 2018. Shocked by their shoot-to-kill policy, Charlie tried to persuade them to assess the situation first, but failed as they were still homicidal maniacs. Gideon then showed Charlie and Sara three substantial magic signatures, each belonging to three John Constantines. Charlie proposed that they capture all three and see which one was the real John, which worried Sara, as Ava was not acting like herself.
When Ray and Mick spotted the current John, Sara ordered to fire, thinking he was the shape-shifter, but not before Charlie revealed herself to be their target. Charlie tried to persuade Sara once more that killing the fugitives was wrong, but Sara avoided conversation and tried to kill her twice. Charlie then reminded Sara of them meeting her in London, but Sara denied it ever happening. Having known that the Legends didn't meet her, Charlie realized that she was the missing ingredient in every timeline that they tried to fix. Charlie and Sara started to fight when a time wave, caused by the past John's and Desmond's restored love, reverting the timeline to its original state.
Having lost her powers once more, Charlie, Zari, and John returned to the Waverider and rejoiced, as time was finally and truly fixed. The two then left John to tell Sara their time-traveling tale. Charlie apologized to Zari for getting off on the wrong foot and explained to her that she kept coming back to Amaya's form, because it was the form she had when she joined the Legends, the first-ever team that held a special place in her heart. Zari forgave Charlie, the two reconciled. Charlie teased Zari about finding Amaya, hence her, attractive.
Member of the Legends
After the events of Heyworld, Charlie became famous, to the point of being the cover of a magazine. During her time with the Legends, Charlie had a brief romantic relationship with Behrad Tarazi.
After the Crisis, Charlie began to record Kevin Harris' documentary; Meet the Lgends, along with the other Legends, until she realized she had no reason to be on the Waverider. So, she takes the jumpship and goes somewhere else.
Using the loom
Clotho attempted to revive Behrad Tarazi using the Loom of Fate but could not because she needed her other sisters for the spell to work. Hypnotized by Marchosias, Clotho flushed the Loom into the Waverider's septic system; it was retrieved by Gary Green.
The Legends decided that the Loom could only be wielded by gods; so they researched and learned about the Chalice of Dionysus and how it granted its users temporary godhood. Clotho and the women created the sorority Delta Chi Sigma in hopes to win the Chalice from Dionysus. They succeeded and the Legends were granted twenty-four hours of immortality.
However, Lachesis tempted Astra Logue into stealing the time ship, so the Legends, Clotho included, went from John Constantine's house to the London branch of the Time Bureau to get a time courier to retake the ship. All the while, the Legends fought the Zombies released by Atropos during her zombie apocalypse. Ultimately, Clotho got the time courier and boarded the Waverider to find the bodies of Astra and Gary, before proving to join with her sisters.
Clotho made a deal with her sisters that the Legends could live in the new world that they created that was devoid of free will, if they were made into fictional characters on television; Clotho created Clotho Productions and put it on the channel Fate+. She created three shows, Ultimate Buds, Highcastle Abbey, and Star Trip, and separated the Legends into them, but, since she still viewed them as her friends, she gave each plot the Legends' dream lives; therefore, Behrad Tarazi was alive again. To keep from being there personally, she set up machines to do the scriptwriting and had Lalo act as security.
One day, she noticed an impromptu crossover occurring between her shows and Mr. Parker's Cul De Sac, causing all of the Legends to be reunited, so she went to Clotho Productions to investigate. She found Mona Wu and Gary Green there using the machines, giving the Legends back their memories of reality; Clotho was so furious that she blasted them with a scream. After calming, she explained to them that they were jeopardizing her friends' lives as well as the peace of Loomworld because the Legends' rebellious attitudes would incite unrest. She returned the Legends to their respective shows, after convincing them that they had their dreams. However, the Legends could not live in a fantasy and rebelled against their scripts; Clotho tried to cancel each show before it inspired rebellion or free thinking, but she was unsuccessful and the Legends returned to reality.
Four months later
People began doing little acts of rebellion, inspired by the Legends, but Clotho was able to hide it from the Fates. However, one day, as the Fates met with people to give the worthy their desires, one worshiper wished for the return of Clotho Productions; Clotho feigned ignorance, but Atropos knew that her opponents had escaped imprisonment, and went to stop them. Suddenly, the Loom of Fate was destroyed, Atropos was dead, and the Legends had disappeared with the Waverider.
Lachesis blamed Clotho for their sister's death and called her the worst offender in history. A museum exhibit was created that denounced free will, individualism, and independent thinking; the Legends and Clotho were numbers two and one, respectively, of the worst offenders in the display. Instead of using a wax figure to represent her, Clotho herself was seated in a chair and put on display. This went on for months and Charlie became worn down and brainwashed.
Four months had passed since the Legends had been seen. They arrived at the museum and found Clotho, totally uninspired. On the Waverider, the Legends tried to help her by giving examples of how free will was good, but, after each presentation, Clotho had an answer as to how ultimately the act resulted in something detrimental. It was Lita, the unplanned daughter of 2020 Mick Rory with his high school lover Ali in the past, that showed Clotho that doing what you desire can have beautiful fruit.
Clotho exited the ship with the Hell weapons that the Legends needed for their battle with the Encores. Clotho pursued Lachesis with the Hell pugio in hand; with her sister cornered, Clotho put the weapon on a shelf, and hugged her. The younger told her older sister that she was forgiven of everything and now that they were mortals, they needed to make the most of their lives.
Officially Charlie now, Clotho returned to the Waverider and bid farewell to Zari Tomaz; then, after resurrecting the members of The Smell, she gave a farewell concert, as she had chosen to leave the Legends and make the most of her life.
While being held prisoner in Mallus's realm, Charlie became a little selfish, as she had to survive in a place where other creatures of anyone's worst nightmares run amok. She learned how to deceive others by transforming into more horrifying creatures, to scare them off. She never stayed in one place long enough to join a group or team, but had made friends with a few creatures such as Red, a leprechaun. Over time, she had grown close to her powers, as she considered them to be a crucial part of her identity.
Being a shape-shifter, Charlie had to have something to believe in to avoid losing herself in the personalities of other people. She loved alcohol, loud music, being a rebel towards the government, hence, she founded her band. Charlie used The Smell as a movement, making a statement to be woke from what society and the monarchy force them to do. Their band was notoriously known for a series of improbable anti-establishment pranks, but Charlie had good intentions within her actions.
When Charlie was locked by John Constantine in Amaya Jiwe's form, a stark contrast can be seen with her and Amaya. She is hot-headed, foul-mouthed, and highly impulsive. When she was captured by the Legends, she was hostile towards them, as it reminded her of the small-minded humans who imprisoned her ages ago. This caused her to be often paranoid of good people. Charlie is also often defensive, especially when other people wrongfully accuse her.
After joining the Legends, Charlie opened up her feelings to the team. Under all her angst, she is kind and compassionate, as evident when she heard Ishirō Honda's backstory and smiled in appreciation for his artistry. She was also seen as persistent, when she and John tried to "fix" the timeline to make sure no one was dead and also keep her powers.
But, Charlie was ultimately seen as understanding, as she accepted that time travelers cannot give in to their desires, no matter how tempting. Charlie now proves that she is clearly a proud member of the team and cares about making sure they stay together; when the Legends and Nate Heywood got stranded under an avalanche, Charlie resolved tensions between Sara Lance and Mick Rory, and inspired the team to not turn on each other and instead work as a family.
Powers and abilities
- Deity physiology As a Greek deity, Charlie has supernatural abilities beyond the capability of normal humans. Specifically, as one of the Fates, she was also further empowered by the Loom of Fate, however after it was destroyed she lost these abilities. Still, even so, she maintained her individual abilities and is still a deity, thus is far more than a human.
- Animal communication: Charlie can understand animals as easily she can understand humans; she was shown to fully understand Zari while the latter had been transformed into a cat.
- Retrocognition: Charlie is able to remember the pre-Crisis multiverse.
- Shape-shifting: Charlie had the ability to shape-shift into any individual she desires. However, John Constantine cast a spell that limited her access to her powers, preventing her from shape-shifting and rendering her stuck in the form of Amaya Jiwe. Originally, it prevented her from shape-shifting at all, but the spell's effect was slowly fading away. After a while, she could shape-shift, but it noticeably exhausted her, and she could stay in a shape-shifted form only for a limited amount of time. A sign of her time limit running up is parts of her body reverting to her default form, which is that of Amaya. Eventually, her powers returned to full capacity, though she prefers to stay in Amaya's form.
- Accelerated healing factor: Additionally, Charlie's shape shifting powers also affords her a form of rapid regenerative healing of physical damage, as seen when she instantly recovered from a stab wound, bullet through the chest, and even a neck-snapping. While seemingly unkillable thanks to this, Charlie is not beyond pain as severe enough injuries will temporarily subdue her. She apparently lost this healing factor while her powers were limited, but after a while her powers started to return to their full extent as seen when she was shot during the outbreak at a senate meeting.
- Extended longevity: After Charlie's powers were bound, she was no longer immortal and her physical form was susceptible to aging. However, she can use her shape-shifting to rejuvenate her being. Each time she changes form, it restarts her life-span to potentially live forever.
- Bond with the Loom of Fate: As a Fate, Charlie had a connection to the Loom of Fate, and her powers were directly linked to the integral status of the Loom of Fate. When it was intact, they were at their full capacity. When it was broken into separate pieces which were scattered throughout different dimensions and/or universes, her powers were drastically diminished. When its pieces were broken but in the same plane/dimension/universe, her powers were at near full capacity, though she still suffered from relative mortality. After the Loom was destroyed, she lost all of the abilities she gained from it, but maintained her own.
- Immortality: As a god, Charlie cannot die, having already lived for millennia. Since John did a spell removing a majority of her powers, Charlie has become functionally vulnerable and is relatively susceptible to pain and injury, albeit her powerful healing factor still protects her from death from most mundane sources of harm. After the Loom was destroyed, Charlie is no longer immortal, but can still rejuvenate herself using her shape-shifting power.
- Sisterly bond: Clotho can receive direct communication from the other Fates, albeit, due to them being mad at her, this occurs via pain-inflicting whispers. This can only be achieved if the pieces of the Loom of Fate exist on the same plane/dimension/universe.
- Pain and/or death inducement: Revealing Clotho's true deity form to mortals would make their eyes explode, as well as their ears if they hear Clotho's real voice.
- Powerful scream: Clotho can unleash a bit of her true voice in the form of a powerful and overwhelming yet harmless scream.
- Inter-dimensional travel (possibly): Clotho mentioned placing the pieces of the Loom of fate in multiple universes across the multiverse. However, it is unknown exactly how she did this.
- Abilities via the Loom of Fate: After reassembling the pieces to the Loom, Charlie was able to access its abilities. After the Loom was destroyed by Sara Lance, Charlie was unable to use it anymore.
- Life creation: Being the Spinner of Fate, Clotho is able to decide when a person is born.
- Resurrection: Using the Loom, Charlie could bring back the dead, using it to resurrect Sara, Behrad Tarazi, Gary Green and Astra Logue.
- Time manipulation: Charlie could manipulate timelines, even erased one, as she used the ability to temporarily restore Zari Tomaz alongside her counterpart from the current timeline.
- Master hand-to-hand combatant: Charlie is proven to be a highly trained hand-to-hand combatant; as she has been proven capable of taking on multiple opponents simultaneously, when Zari opened her cage, Charlie easily flipped and managed to trap Zari in the cage, she also used nothing but a small brick to rescue Sara from Tagumo. Charlie was able to subdue a few Time Bureau agents with little struggle and even managed to knock down Neron with a single punch. She even proved capable of killing several zombies with pure ease.
- Expert of deception/Manipulator: As her shape-shifting powers only replicate the physical form and voice of a person, not their abilities or memories, Charlie must instead rely on natural acting. She is shown to be very talented at doing so, having in one timeline convinced all of England in 1977 that she was Queen Elizabeth II. Charlie has difficulty mimicking other accents, but can get around it with practice.
- Knowledge of magical creatures: Due to being trapped in Mallus's realm, Charlie was forced to learn about the creatures that inhabit the prison to survive.
- Musical acumen: While hiding in 1970's London, Charlie was a capable musician, being a member of The Smell.
- Guitarist: Charlie is shown to be skilled at playing guitar, particularly for rock music.
- Singing: Charlie is a talented singer, having performed lead vocals for her band and background vocals for a Bollywood number. She also helped her fellow fugitives lead a sing-along of "Sweet Baby James" in order to bring Nate Heywood back to life.
- Dancing: Charlie is a good dancer, able to perform in a Bollywood routine with Zari Tomaz and Sara Lance.
- Lobotomic binding spell: John Constantine cast a binding spell, which he described as a lobotomy of sort, on Charlie, preventing her from fully accessing her godly abilities. However, the restriction it placed on her shapeshifting faded over time. Despite the spell losing this effect, it still inhibits Charlie from achieving her full divine power, as seen when she faced Atropos. During the creation of Loomworld, the Fates also annulled the spell, restoring Charlie's full powers.
- Loom of Fate: With the help of the Legends, Charlie was able to obtain the three pieces of the loom.
- A.T.O.M. Exosuit: When Charlie shape-shifted into Ray's form, she wore the A.T.O.M. Exosuit.
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
- Charlie's base form consists of the face and body of Amaya Jiwe, a dreadlock ponytail with a bob on the top, and a punk rock outfit resembling the style of when she was spat into the timeline.
- Charlie cannot appear in her Fate form to mortals, as her visage and natural voice would destroy their eyes and ears.
- Interestingly, Charlie and Amaya both share the ability of being able to talk to animals.
- Charlie is one of few characters to recall events prior to the Anti-Monitor Crisis without help, as she recalled originally hiding the Loom of Fate. Others include the Paragons, Lena Luthor, Jennifer Pierce, and Grodd.
Behind the scenes
- In Greek mythology, Clotho was worshiped as one of the three Fates. It was she who spun the thread of life, symbolizing birth and the start of destiny, and she decided when a person would be born. She even had the power to breathe new life into the deceased as shown when she went against her sisters and resurrected Pelops, who had been murdered by his father Tantalus. This event may have inspired the show’s portrayal of her as a traitor against her sisters.
- In the DC Comics, Clotho is the youngest of the three sisters Fates. She is responsible for spinning the life's silver thread, and she was a witness to the defense at the Princess Diana's trial for her misdemeanor of protecting US Air Force pilot Steven Trevor, a man who crashed on Paradise Island, and taking him to the Man's World without the permission of Queen Hippolyta. She helped construct Wonder Woman's costume.
- Charlie has been confirmed to be the first-ever genderqueer and pansexual live-action superhero.
- Charlie's actress, Maisie Richardson-Sellers, openly identifies as queer in real life.
- The reason Charlie hasn't explicitly stated her sexuality on screen is that Richardson-Sellers wanted it to be a "facet of her multi-faceted personality".
- Charlie is the 12th openly LGBT character on after Sara Lance, Lindsay Carlisle, Queen Anne, Todd Rice, Guinevere, Ray Terrill, Leo Snart, John Constantine, Ava Sharpe, Gary Green, and Desmond.