- "The night of the storm, after S.T.A.R. Labs blew, after our plane went down and I woke up on the ground alive, when I saw what I can do, I understood. I am God."
- —Clyde Mardon to Joe West[src]
Clyde Mardon (April 12, unknown year-October 7, 2014) was a bank robber and meta-human that was affected by the aftermath of the S.T.A.R. Labs particle accelerator and was able to control weather. He was also the younger brother of Mark Mardon and the uncle of Joslyn Jackam.
Obtaining his powers
On December 11, 2013, Clyde robbed a bank with Mark. They escaped in a Mustang Shelby GT 500 (as observed by Barry Allen), and went to hide in a farmhouse. After Barry was able to track the Mardon brothers down to one of any four farms, Detectives West and Chyre both checked each one. Having little luck on the first three, on the final one they found Clyde. He shot Chyre, running to catch a plane with his brother. The two celebrated as they flew away, but Mark told Clyde to put on his seatbelt. At that moment, the S.T.A.R. Labs particle accelerator exploded, causing the plane to explode. Because he wasn't buckled in, Clyde fell out of the plane, while Mark went down with it. Neither brother was aware of the other's survival, but both had obtained the power of atmokinesis.
Rampaging through Central City
Nine months later, Mardon was caught in a car chase with the police. Barry Allen was able to intervene using his super speed, causing the car to flip. Clyde walked away unscathed, creating fog to allow himself to escape, ultimately causing another crash.
Soon after, Clyde robbed the Gold City Bank. The bank teller described his physical appearance to the police, leading to Detectives West and Thawne to go to his old farmhouse. They found him there, much to their surprise. However, before he could be detained, he knocked away the detectives and created a tornado. He moved the tornado outside, while still ripping through the barn. After some hesitation, Barry was able to reverse the effects of the tornado. Clyde promptly aimed a gun at Barry, but before he could shoot, he was shot dead by Detective West.
Clyde's death would be the cause of his brother Mark Mardon's rampage (culminating in a devastating tsunami) as the Weather Wizard a few months later, though the after-effects of this rampage were largely undone by the effect of Barry going back in time.
As a criminal, Clyde was generally very careless, rarely if ever learning from his mistakes. He was also a vicious murderer who had no guilt or remorse for his actions, killing Fred Chyre among many others. After discovering his new-found powers, Clyde became arrogant and insane to the point where he developed a literal "God complex". In spite of all these negative qualities, he did seem to care for and respect his brother, Mark Mardon.
Powers and abilities
- Meta-human physiology: After Clyde was struck by the energy of the Particle Accelerator explosion, this altered his DNA and supercharged his cells, augmenting his physiology to access his new abilities.
The Chronicles of Cisco
Behind the scenes
- In DC comics, Clyde Mardon was a gifted scientist and the younger brother of Mark Mardon aka Weather Wizard. Clyde was credited with creating the Wizard Wand that allowed the user to manipulate the weather. In the New Earth continuity, he was accidentally slain by Mark. In the Prime Earth continuity, Mark was blamed for Clyde's murder but was actually innocent all along.
- Clyde is somewhat similar to the Batman villain Maxie Zeus, as both proclaim themselves to be "Gods" with the powers they gained.
|Other versions of Clyde Mardon|
|To see other versions of this character, click the Earth name below for that Earth's counterpart of Clyde Mardon.|
|Earth: Prime |
Earth: 1 • 27