- For other uses of "Constantine", see Constantine (disambiguation).
- For the titular occult detective, see John Constantine.
- "My name is John Constantine. I am the one who steps from the shadows. All trench coat and arrogance. I'll drive your demons away. Kick 'em in the bollocks and spit on them when they're down, leaving only a nod and a wink and a wisecrack. I walk my path alone because, let's be honest... who would be crazy enough to walk it with me?"
- —John Constantine[src]
Constantine is a television series and a modern retelling of the DC Comics series Hellblazer. The series ran for one season of thirteen episodes from October 24, 2014, until February 13, 2015. Actor Matt Ryan played the eponymous lead character, John Constantine. On May 8, 2015, the series was officially cancelled. After the series came to an end, showrunner Daniel Cerone released the script to what would've been the fourteenth episode; it's debatable as to whether it is in canon with the rest of the series.
Matt Ryan later returned to the role of Constantine in the fourth season of fellow DC Comics-based show , in the episode "", then on in a recurring role in the third, fourth, fifth, and sixth seasons. He also portrayed the character in the crossover event.
|Based on the wildly popular comic book series Hellblazer from DC Comics, seasoned demon hunter and master of the occult John Constantine specializes in giving hell... hell. Armed with a ferocious knowledge of the dark arts and his wickedly naughty wit, he fights the good fight — or at least he did. With his soul already damned to hell, he's decided to leave his do-gooder life behind, but when demons target Liv, the daughter of one of Constantine's oldest friends, he's reluctantly thrust back into the fray – and he'll do whatever it takes to save her. Before long, it's revealed that Liv's “second sight” — an ability to see the worlds behind our world and predict supernatural occurrences — is a threat to a mysterious new evil that's rising in the shadows. Now it's not just Liv who needs protection; the angels are starting to get worried too. So, together, Constantine and Liv must use her power and his skills to travel the country, find the demons that threaten our world and send them back where they belong. After that, who knows... maybe there's hope for him and his soul after all.|
- Matt Ryan as John Constantine, Furcifer, and Pazuzu
- Lucy Griffiths as Liv Aberdine *
- Angélica Celaya as Zed Martin
- Charles Halford as Chas Chandler
- Harold Perrineau as Manny
- Jeremy Davies as Ritchie Simpson
- Michael James Shaw as Papa Midnite
- Jonjo O'Neill as Gary "Gaz" Lester
- Emmett J. Scanlan as Jim Corrigan
- Claire van der Boom as Anne Marie Flynn
- David A. Gregory as Eddie
- Mann Alfonso as Michael
|#||Episode name||Directed by||Story by||Teleplay by||Original airdate|
|1||""||Neil Marshall||Daniel Cerone & David S. Goyer||Daniel Cerone||October 24, 2014|
|Based on the wildly popular comic book series "Hellblazer" from DC Comics, seasoned demon hunter and master of the occult John Constantine is armed with a ferocious knowledge of the dark arts and a wickedly naughty wit. He fights the good fight - or at least he did. With his soul already damned to hell, he's decided to abandon his campaign against evil until a series of events thrusts him back into the fray when an old friend's daughter becomes the target of supernatural forces.|
|2||""||Steve Shill||Rockne S. O'Bannon||October 31, 2014|
|Deep in the mountains of Western Pennsylvania, John is a small mining community's only defense against an ancient Welsh spirit. In the course of protecting these isolated innocents, John finds a vital new ally in a mysterious young woman named Zed.|
|3||""||Romeo Tirone||Mark Verheiden & David S. Goyer||November 7, 2014|
|John and Zed engage in a dangerous confrontation to save a woman and her family from sinister forces. John's efforts force him to confront the darkness in his own life – while also coming face to face with a new powerful adversary in Papa Midnite.|
|4||""||John Showalter||Cameron Welsh||November 14, 2014|
|When Constantine's old friend Gary Lester accidentally releases a powerful demon in Atlanta, John is forced to determine exactly what he is prepared to sacrifice in his battle with the underworld.|
|5||""||John Badham||Christine Boylan||November 21, 2014|
|In New Orleans, Constantine's unusual knowledge of a string of crimes gets him into trouble with Detective Jim Corrigan. He must form an unholy alliance with Papa Midnite when a voodoo ritual to help people communicate with their dead loved ones takes a deadly turn.|
|6||""||Neil Marshall||Daniel Cerone||November 28, 2014|
|When a young boy is taken over by a malevolent spirit, John must put aside his misgivings over exorcising a child and convince the parents that their boy is not all that he seems.|
|7||""||Nick Gomez||Sneha Koorse||December 5, 2014|
|While in art class, Zed has a bizarre vision of snakes that lead her and John to a small town where a preacher has mysteriously gained the ability to heal his congregation.|
|8||""||T.J. Scott||Carly Wray||December 12, 2014|
|A call from Anne Marie, a member of the fateful Newcastle crew, sends John and Chas to Mexico City and brings them closer to the source of The Rising Darkness.|
|9||""||Romeo Tirone||Mark Verheiden||January 16, 2015|
|In order to fend off a vicious attack, John summons a demon into himself. Chas, Zed and Anne Marie race against time to save John before it's too late.|
|10||""||Mary Harron||Brian Anthony||January 23, 2015|
|Thousands of people across Brooklyn have slipped into a mysterious coma, including Chas' daughter. John must find and defeat the evil behind it before it consumes the city.|
|11||""||Tom Wright||Davita Scarlett & Sneha Koorse||January 30, 2015|
|Manny sends John to help an old friend, Ritchie Simpson, at Ivy University where a group of students have a found a way into an alternate dimension only to be met by a maniacal killer.|
|12||""||Sam Hill||Christine Boylan||February 6, 2015|
|When John heads to a local hospital to investigate a mysterious attack, he enlists an unwitting Manny to help him. Meanwhile, a health scare causes Zed to question the source of her visions.|
|13||""||David Boyd||Cameron Welsh||February 13, 2015|
|The truth behind the Rising Darkness emerges as John and Zed reteam with Jim Corrigan - and encounter a vengeful Papa Midnite.|
- Constantine had one supplemental web series, , consisting of one short, "".
- The only cast member to appear in every episode of the series was Matt Ryan (John Constantine).
- Besides appearing in Constantine, Charles Halford, Jeremy Davies, and Juliana Harkavy have appeared as Jemm, John Deegan, and Dinah Drake respectively.
- 'Constantine' Cancelled By NBC, Will It Find New Life Elsewhere? - Deadline
- Daniel Cerone (@DanielVDerone) - Twitter
- CONSTANTINE - Ep 114 - "Final Girl" - Dropbox
- "Lucy Griffiths & Harold Perrineau Join NBC Pilot ‘Constantine’" - Deadline
- "Press tour: 'Constantine' hires Angelica Celaya to replace Lucy Griffiths" - HITFIX
- "ARROW: CONSTANTINE WILL HELP BRING SARA LANCE BACK" - IGN
|"" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • ""|