|"Things were looking a little grim, but part of me was, admittedly, a little excited for a "reunion" of old friends."|
- "In the beginning, there was only one. A single black infinitude. Then the infinitude found release, and, finally, the darkness broke, filling it with life. With the multiverse. Every existence multiplied by possibility. And spread out before space and time in infinite measure. Civilizations rose and fell. And rose again across reality's grasping expanse. Life. A precious gift persevering in the face of every obstacle, until, finally, the age of heroes was born. Chaos. The constant enemy of life kept at bay by champions from across the multiverse...joining forces to fight on behalf of all creation. They found each other just in time, because now, the entire multiverse is about to come under attack. There is a malevolent force at work, one driven by a singular goal. The destruction of all there is. I have planned, there are those who say I have schemed, but the time for preparation has passed. The Crisis is now upon us all."
- —Mar Novu
The Monitor sends Harbinger to gather the worlds’ greatest heroes - Supergirl, the Flash, Green Arrow, Batwoman, White Canary, the Atom and Superman - in preparation for the impending Crisis. With their worlds in imminent danger, the superheroes suit up for battle while J'onn and Alex recruit Lena to help them find a way to save the people of Earth-38.
- Melissa Benoist as Kara Danvers/Supergirl
- Chyler Leigh as Alex Danvers
- Katie McGrath as Lena Luthor
- Jesse Rath as Querl Dox/Brainy
- Nicole Maines as Nia Nal/Dreamer
- Azie Tesfai as Kelly Olsen
- Andrea Brooks (credit only)
- Julie Gonzalo (credit only)
- Staz Nair (credit only)
- LaMonica Garrett as Mar Novu/Monitor
- David Harewood as J'onn J'onnz/Martian Manhunter
Special guest stars
- Stephen Amell as Oliver Queen/Green Arrow and Oliver Queen/Green Arrow
- Caity Lotz as Sara Lance/White Canary
- Brandon Routh as Ray Palmer/Atom
- Tom Cavanagh as Pariah
- Katherine McNamara as Mia Smoak
- Tyler Hoechlin as Clark Kent/Superman
- Elizabeth Tulloch as Lois Lane
- Ruby Rose as Kate Kane/Batwoman
- Grant Gustin as Barry Allen/Flash
- Erica Durance as Alura Zor-El
- Audrey Marie Anderson as Harbinger
- Burt Ward as an Earth-66 citizen
- Robert Wuhl as an Earth-89 citizen
- Griffin Newman as a trivia host
Special appearance by
- Nickolas Baric as Rabbit #1
- Russell Tovey as Ray Terrill/The Ray
- Alan Ritchson as Earth-9 hooded vigilante
- Curran Walters as Earth-9 masked vigilante
Earth-89 - Gotham City
A man is sitting on a park bench reading “The Gotham City Gazette ” with the headline "Batman Captures Joker" when the sky turns dark red, and the bat-symbol, consisting of a bat surrounded by red light, lights up.
Earth-66 - Gotham City
A man is walking his large fluffy German Shepherd. He turns around to see his skyline and is completely covered with a red shimmering light. He cries out “Holy crimson skies of death!” before succumbing to the energy implosion.
Earth-38 - National City
A man is standing outside CatCo Worldwide Media holding a sign "Prepare to Meet Thy Doom. The End of The World is Nigh" and is telling everyone that Supergirl herself cannot save them. He is immediately confronted with a giant lizard-like creature over 20 feet tall and breathing fire. The fire is directed towards him and he is saved by Supergirl. She tells him to get to cover, before adding that she could save him. Supergirl faces the giant dragon-like creatures, cautioning him to calm down. She promises Spike that his owner Alana is waiting for him and there is nothing to be scared of. Eventually, the giant creature shrinks down, he reverts to his much smaller size, taking on the form of a small iguana. Supergirl picks him up and brings him back to the DEO. She hands the creature off to an agent upon arrival, bringing attention to the fact that all the animals in the city have begun to stir up trouble and act erratic. She is met with Brainy and Alex, who are looking into the situation already. They are continuing to be struck by miniature earthquakes, ones that are infecting everyone around the entire world, however, the seismic activity wasn't coming from within the planet and is concerning leaks coming from outisde. J'onn arrives to inform everyone The Monitor is free, and he is no longer a and problem, he is now the problem of every universe. J'onn informed them, last year Mar Novu tested him as well as 8 heroes with Dr. Deegan and the Book of Destiny. However, currently, the energy blast is hurtling through space at an impossible speed, Brainy predicts it will reach the edge of their universe in 5.3 hours. They have until tomorrow night, however, in the meantime, the cosmic wave will hit the City of Argo first. Supergirl immediately requests to get a message to her cousin, fearing for her family.
Lois Lane is light-heartedly mocking her husband Clark Kent while he changes their son Jonathan's diaper. Their tender moment is soon interrupted with a hologram of Supergirl, she is fading in and out as Argo City is protected from all outside forces. Lois is able to fix the connection, and Supergirl gives them a quick warning to get off the planet before disappearing. Her warning was almost in vain as their Sky quickly darkens to a red hue, and earthquakes began to tremble the city. Everyone is outside in a panic, and they are quickly met with Alura Zor-El. She ushers them to safety, to their last remaining Kryptonian pod where Alura warns them there is only enough space for one, both Clark and Lois immediately agree to send their son to Earth. They say their goodbyes and send him alone towards Earth. Mirroring when Kal-El's own parents had sent him to Earth from an imploding Krypton all those years earlier. Not long after, the entire reminiscence of Kryptonian explodes.
Back on Earth, Supergirl is left devastated after watching Argo explode.
Earth-1 - Lian Yu
Oliver Queen is on the island with his daughter Mia Smoak. He was confiding in her about his former hatred for the island. Adding he had come to terms with his time served because without Lian Yu he never would've become the man he was destined to be, and most importantly he never would have had the opportunity to be looking at his daughter. Their tender moment is interrupted by Lyla. She is surrounded by the same bright red horizon that engulfed the other worlds. She warns them, that the Crisis has begun.
Earth-1 - Central City
The Flash is racing around town while in communication with Cisco Ramon trying to figure out what is happening. He too was surprised to see Lyla before him. She informs him, that she is The Harbinger now, and is working with The Monitor. She has come to collect him informing him that the Crisis has begun.
Earth-1 - Gotham City
Batwoman is in the middle of undertaking heavy gunfire. She currently has two would-be criminals down demanding to know where her sister Alice is located. He tells her, she is located close to the old sugar factory. But is immediately interrupted by the Harbinger. She ignores the women's warning, but Lyla informs her that the Crisis has begun and they must leave now.
Earth-1 - Star City
Sara Lance and Ray Palmer are playing another night of trivia for beer. They're on the last question “What is the name of the last song Janis Joplin ever record it?” Sarah immediately guesses Mercedes-Benz, but they are corrected with the answer "Little Rocket Man". Sarah is furious, but Ray calms her down admitting that he stole a lock of Janis Joplin's hair when they were at Woodstock last year. Sarah is more anointed at him for loosing their trivia beer, then she is at him altering history. Fortunately, they too are interrupted by Lyla.
Earth-38 - The DEO
Lyla, The Harbinger appears before Supergirl and the DEO. Alex immediately reacts and tells her to put her hands on her head, demanding to know if she is what is behind the phenomenal cosmic activity that is currently plaguing them. Alex calms down with the arrivals of everyone Lyla has collected. She has brought with her eight individuals, including Kara's cousin Superman and Lois Lane. Supergirl is relieved that they survived, and they inform her Lyla was the one who brought them here before Argo exploded. They both bring up the worry that they sent Jonathan to Earth, and he is now no longer with them. Everyone has arrived in their heroes' uniforms and they are ready to do what is necessary. Batwoman is obviously quite apprehensive as to what is happening, but Supergirl promises she can trust everyone here, as she herself would trust them with her life, just as she would trust Batwoman. With that, Kate takes off her mask and introduces herself as Kate, Mia, and Oliver follow suit.
Everyone is redirected to a board room where Lyla is able to explain their situation, “There is a wave of antimatter sweeping across this universe destroying everything in its path” Oliver pipes up admitting he has seen this antimatter wave in action, it already wiped Earth-2 out of existence. Unfortunately for them, Earth-38 is in its path now. Mar Novu has arrived and adds The Flash and the Legends are currently doing reconnaissance. Afterwords, Lois and Clark bring up their concerns about Jonathan again, not sure where his pod is, or if he even landed on Earth yet. Supergirl volunteers Brainy and they are able to tract his trajectory. However, they are interrupted when a giant tower begins rising before them just outside the building. The tower is a Quantum Tower and is the only thing that can save the people of Earth. Mar Novu explains at the dawn of time The Monitor placed Quantum Towers on key Earths in a last line of defense. Immediately both Ray and Brainiac begin theorizing a better understanding of the tower. They are interrupted by Brainy, having tracked baby Jonathan, he discovers he is in Star City on Earth-16, because he has traveled through a wormhole and is now in the year 2046. Superman immediately tells the room he is going to get his son, but Oliver stops him. Insisting they need his power to protect this Earth. Lois volunteers to go, and Sara decides to accompany her. Brainy says he will come too. Before leaving Sara tells Oliver how proud she is, of the man he has become. Telling him he has always been an amazing guy, now, even more so, now as a father.
In another room before leaving, Brainiac and J'onn are discussing how to save and protect Earth. He informs Brainy that Alex is currently coordinating with The President who is, in turn, coordinating with the rest of the world leaders. Their hope is that all aliens that arrived on Earth will allow everyone to use their spaceships to escape. Brainy conscience he is not sure how good of an idea that will be, given last year's events, and the war against aliens. Before leaving Brainy tosses J'onn his keys.
Alex and J'onn coordinate their plans, Alex, having just returned from talking with The US President. Even if they can get everyone off the planet and into space itself, it's not safe. They would need a humongous transporter to take them all to another universe. J'onn suggests Lena Luthor and Alex is hesitant given their new fresh disdain for each other. J'onn reminds her that they have absolutely no other choice, and she was a great help in fighting the Daxamite Army years earlier.
Outside, Supergirl finds Superman staring off into the distance. She has come to console him given his grievance over his missing son. He immediately apologizes for being unable to save her mother. Clarke confides he thinks he deserves all the horrible things that have happened to him. For so foolishly believing he could have so much only to have it all immediately taken away again. Supergirl tells him not to say things like that, she knows baby Jonathan will be safe and they will save everyone no matter what. Superman is rather surprised at how hopeful she is, Supergirl just insists that's all they can do. When they first thought Krypton was gone, it was Superman that brought the spirit of the planet to everyone on Earth, and they can do it again.
In another room, Oliver has a present for Mia. When she opens it she realizes it is a dark emerald suit, just like her father's. She is understandably hesitant to take it, but Oliver insists she is the new Green Arrow. Reminding her that she earned it, and leaves her to try it on.
Oliver finds Barry, and Barry brings up that The Monitor informed him things have changed and he is not suspected to make it though what is coming. This immediately upsets Oliver who begins yelling at no one, demanding to talk.
Oliver finds himself standing before The Monitor, outside of time and space. Oliver reminds him that they had made the agreement that he was to die in order to save Supergirl and The Flash. The Monitor reminds him that that deal was last year, and this is a new threat. The Monitor refuses to give any more details, insisting that if they do not know what is coming, his hope was that they would prepare for absolutely every possibility.
Lena Luthor is looking outside L-Corp. Astonished at the tower now in the city. Alex invites herself into her private office in full DEO uniform. Lena is unthreatened and asked Alex if she has come to accuse her of more crimes and arrest her. Alex takes the bait, and asked Lena what she expects after stealing Myriad, and almost killing Supergirl, just last week. Lena immediately denies the claim, insisting it was Eve Teschmacher, and she has already been arrested. Alex knows she is lying, but this is not the time to argue. Alex brings up how they are all in danger and Lena needs to put her feelings aside to help save the world again. Lena obviously agrees but is upset that the Danver sisters would think she might not help, considering, once again, that it is she who is the good guy.
Inside the tower, the six heroes are deciding how to handle the situation and determined to keep it safe. GA and Mia arrived, with Mia in her new suit. Arrow instructs Supergirl and Superman to protect the outside, while they run inside, all while the Earth is continuously moved by more and more powerful earthquakes. When inside Arrow casually tells his daughter that no matter what happens to him, it is her job to find her mother. They are soon attacked by an army of flying spirits. Everyone is surprised at such an out-worldly attack. In the chaos, Batwoman agrees to an upgrade from The Atom. While talking to himself he is able to magnetize one of her throwing bats in order for it to come back to her. In the chaos, Mia is even able to send an arrow past her father destroying an unseen enemy behind him. Oliver nods his thanks to his daughter, proud of who she is becoming. Superman, Supergirl and Flash arrived to help, they are quickly able to take care of the situation and destroy all of the spirits that are within the tower.
Earth-16 - Star City - 2046
White Canary, Lois, and Brainiac are all surprised to tract baby Jonathan's signature to Oliver's Earth's secret hideout. Brainiac is rather surprised, but Sara insists he probably found a helpless baby and decided to take it away from the chaos raging outside. Brainiac is immediately hit with a trick arrow that wraps around him, making him fall over. Oliver Queen appears as Green Arrow and immediately begins fighting White Canary. The two continuously go back and forth while Lois tries to help Brainy, but is quickly distracted when she hears her baby cry. Sara is able to stop him knowing about his bad arm having previously met this Oliver before. He is shocked and astonished to see her, scurrying how it is possible she is standing before him. He wants to know how she got off the Queen's Gambit, and Sara generally asks him if he doesn't remember meeting her on the island. He seems to have not. Oliver immediately begins to apologize to her, he didn't mean to get her killed, having regretted ruining her life. Sarah immediately chimes in, telling him that going with him on the boat was her decision and hers alone. And that what happened to them after changed both their lives for the better, and now she is a space pirate. Lois walks in behind them holding a crying Jonathan, and thanks Oliver for finding her child. Oliver and Sara continue to have a tender moment, and Sara insists her life ended up for the better. They are interrupted by Brainy, insisting they have to go now. Before leaving Sara tells Oliver “You're a good man, on every Earth.” all three of them head into the transporter and vanish.
Earth-38 - National City
Outside of National City, Dreamer and Kelly are trying to help coordinate people onto spaceships while trying to keep them calm among the chaos. They are extremely surprised and happy when J'onn arrives with the Legion ship, the ship is capable of putting hundreds-of-thousands of people aboard.
Inside the DEO Lena and Alex are still trying to figure out how to transport the ships away, as even space is no longer a viable option. Lena isn't sure how to stop people from evaporating once she transports them to another Earth. Alex suggests Galleon's Theory of “using an inverse variable to help calculate the differential?” Lena agrees it is a good idea. Excited to have cracked the puzzle they are able to send the spaceships away to another Earth. Before leaving Lena reminds Alex, that regardless they are still not friends. Outside she helps coordinate people to safety. Kelly Olsen even saves a woman using Jame's Shield from when he was Guardian.
While outside the tower, the six heroes are again left disappointed when the tower breaks. Oliver tells Superman and Supergirl to see what they can do and they both fly up, Superman realizes the tower is powered by what looks like solar powers and immediately begins blasting it with his x-ray vision, Supergirl follows suit. They continue to blast at the solar panel for as long as they can, Superman is the first to fall having been on Argo for so long, followed soon by Supergirl. Luckily it was enough to power up the tower again. The red skies dissipate but they are still faced with flying angry spirits. Everyone begins fighting them full throttle but The Monitor appears insisting they save their strength, this world is already doomed and he begins vanishing in them away one by one. First Batwoman, followed by Superman, Supergirl, he also takes the Flash, Ray, and Mia. Only Green Arrow is left. Before he can take him, Oliver demands to know how many people are left, and The Monitor admits there are still many that won't be saved. Oliver refuses to leave and shoots The Monitors, disrupting his powers. Oliver is struck by one of the flying spirits and loses his footing, only to realize he is out of arrows. Not wanting to give up, Oliver takes a stand and decides to continue to fight with his bare hands, even if it is in vain, wanting to save as many people as he can.
Earth-1 - Star City
Oliver appears in his lair, extremely bloody and bruised, on the verge of dying. He is immediately surrounded by The Flash, Supergirl and his daughter Mia. There, The Monitor tells the room, Earth- 38 did not survive, but because of Oliver Queen's noble sacrifice, he was able to personally ensure the lives of another billion people. Kara is both devastated at the news of the loss of her planet, along with the reality of Green Arrow's pending demise.
They are surprised when Pariah appears before them. He insists he is no longer Nash, admitting "Now, I'm simply a man serving his penance. I freed the Anti-Monitor from his confinement only to become a Pariah. Sentenced to bear witness to his actions. " At this time, Lois, Sara, and Brainy all return to Earth-1 Superman goes to greet his wife, happy his child is safe, wanting to give the man and his family some space. Oliver confides that he gave it all up sacrificing his life for Kara and Flash. Both are immediately surprised and heartbroken to hear this devastating news. Oliver calls his daughter closer and tells her to promise she will find her mother and to tell William he loves him, teary-eyed she confirms she will. Oliver dies seconds after this
The Monitor admits Oliver was to die, but it wasn't supposed to be like this, things are different and they are changing quickly. Pariah informs them that they are all most likely doomed.
- Kara tells Clark, "Krypton isn't just a place, it's a spirit". This is extremely similar to the Marvel movie Thor: Ragnarok, in which Heimdall tells Thor, "Asgard isn't a place, it's a people".
- Clark lamenting how "I couldn't save her" in regards to his Aunt Alura sounds like the words he spoke over Pa Kent's grave in Superman: The Movie after his foster father died of natural causes.
- Marc Guggenheim states that one of the reasons for Oliver's death was to show that the lives of any of the heroes isn't safe.
- In Pennsylvania, specifically Pittsburgh, this episode was pushed back to 12:00 am due to the Nightly Sport Call recanting the latest Steelers Game and then the news.
- Earth-16 John Diggle, Jr. was originally going to appear alongside Earth-16 Oliver, but was scrapped due to scheduling conflicts and the Earth-16 scene had to rewritten with just Earth-16 Oliver according to Joseph David-Jones. Jones also revealed that he did do a fitting before the plan was changed.
- This episode includes various flashback footages of previous arrowverse episodes and crossovers.
- This episode marks the final appearances of Alex Danvers, Lena Luthor, Querl Dox, Nia Nal and Kelly Olsen as they are replaced by their Earth-Prime counterparts.
References and In-Jokes
- In addition to cameos of actors playing characters from other DC Comics adaptations (Robert Wuhl, Burt Ward, Alan Ritchson, and Curran Walters), the doomsday protester at the beginning of the episode is played by Star Trek actor and noted comic book fan Wil Wheaton.
- The doomsday protestor is a direct reference to the one in Superman II, holding the exact same sign.
- Burt Ward's character's reaction to the red skies ("Holy crimson skies of death!") is a reference to his portrayal of Robin in the Batman TV series from the 1960s; in which his character would often exclaim: "Holy [something]!"
- His universe's designation as Earth-66 is a likely reference to the fact that the series began airing in 1966.
- Lois and Kal-El sending Jonathan away from Argo in a pod right before the city was destroyed by antimatter is not only a reference to Superman's own past, but to the beginning of the Crisis on Infinite Earths DC Comic in which, in reference to Superman's origin, the character of Alexander Luthor Jr. was sent to Earth-One from Earth-Three as the latter universe was destroyed by antimatter.
- Lois also quotes Marlon Brando's Jor-El from Superman: The Movie, saying "We will never leave you, even in the face of our death."
- The Monitor's opening narration is almost exactly the same as the one that explains the DC multiverse on the very first page of Crisis on Infinite Earths by Marv Wolfman and George Perez.
- Earth-16 Oliver Queen believed Sara died on the Gambit. However, in "", Oliver knew Sara survived and referenced a conversation with Ray Palmer in "".
- Despite The Legion returning to the future with their ship, it makes an appearance in this episode.
- Earth-89's Joker was said to be captured by Earth-89's Batman and is also confirmed to be the same Batman and Joker from the 1989 film, Batman. However, in the film, Batman killed the Joker.
- Production for began on September 24, 2019.
- Filming for the crossover had completed by November 8, 2019, with some reshoots and minor filming still needing to be completed.
|"" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • " "|
|"" • "" • "" • "" • TBA • TBA • TBA • TBA • TBA • TBA • TBA • TBA • TBA|
|"" • ""|
|"" • ""|
|"" • "" () • "" () • "" ()|
|"" • "" • "" • ""|
|"" • "" • ""|
|"" • "" • "" • """ • "|