She came to Earth-1 to collect H.R. Wells due to him breaking the inter-dimensional travel ban on Earth-19. Her capture was interrupted by Cisco Ramon, who challenged her to trial-by-combat. Cynthia was defeated by Cisco and she returned to Earth-19 without H.R. claiming that he was already dead when she had found him. Later, on an assignment on Earth-2, trying to catch another breacher, Cynthia was captured by Grodd and forced to open a breach to Earth-1 for Grodd and his army to travel through to Central City. She helped Cisco and the team get rid of the gorillas on Earth-1 and went back to her Earth. She later returned to save Cisco from Savitar and Killer Frost, joining the team to defeat the two rogues. After trying to help in the battle with Clifford DeVoe, she became the ex-girlfriend of Cisco Ramon of Earth-1.
She was killed by Echo, a criminal she was pursuing who was revealed to be Cisco Ramon's Earth-19 doppelgänger.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Legacy
- 3 Personality
- 4 Powers and abilities
- 5 Equipment
- 6 Appearances
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Behind the scenes
- 9 References
At some point Cynthia was partnered with a fellow collector who she later became romantically involved with. In 2014 Cynthia and her partner encountered a breacher from the 64th century of Earth-1 named Abra Kadabra who killed her partner along with several other innocent people. Cynthia then pursued Kadabra through the multiverse to get revenge.
Chasing H.R. Wells
Cynthia appeared through a breach, bringing up a holographic photo of H.R. Wells, searching for him in order to punish him for his crimes of inter-dimensional travel. She went to CC Jitters, picking up a coin and vibing his location, before knocking out two cops and leaving. The following day, she tracked him down to S.T.A.R. Labs. She was able to easily fend off Cisco Ramon and Kid Flash, before giving H.R. an hour to get his affairs in order. When she returned, she was challenged to a trial-by-combat by Cisco, allowing him the customary twenty-four hours to prepare. Later that day, while drinking coffee from Jitters at the waterfront, she was approached by The Flash, who attempted to subdue her, but to no avail. She then took H.R. as insurance.
The following day, Vibe arrived, before the two began to fight. They crossed through a number of universes, before returning to Earth-1, where Cynthia was caught off guard. Admitting defeat, Cynthia allowed H.R.'s freedom, along with her life. However, Cisco declined taking the latter. As she prepared to leave back to her Earth, Cynthia asked that H.R. never return, as she would pretend she'd killed him, thus remaining unrivaled. She was also going to bring back a giant sack filled with coffee as they didn't have it on Earth-19. As she and Cisco went to kiss, Cynthia opened a portal, returning to her universe.
While she was chasing a dimension hopping fugitive from her Earth to Earth-2, Cynthia somehow found her way to Gorilla City, where Grodd took control of her and prepared himself to use her power to have him and his army cross to Earth-1.
Grodd used Cynthia to open a breach to Earth-1 for him and his gorilla army. He then sent Cynthia to attack Team Flash at S.T.A.R. Labs where Harry Wells managed to subdue her with one of his weapons. She was then locked in the Pipeline where she didn't seem to remember attacking them. She told them that the last thing she remembered was chasing a dimension hopping fugitive from her Earth to Earth-2 and then came upon a gorilla; that made the team realize that Grodd had taken control of her and must already be on their Earth as he couldn't control her between Earths. They asked her to help them but Cynthia refused and left to continue her pursuit of her fugitive. She then returned to her Earth where she met with the Accelerated Man and told him that she had found and terminated her mark. When he left, she was visited by Cisco who again asked for her help. She eventually decided to aid them and helped get Solovar to battle with Grodd and take back control of the gorillas. She then helped Cisco send the gorillas back to Gorilla City. Before she left, she and Cisco shared a goodbye kiss.
Hunting Abra Kadabra
Cynthia tracked down Abra Kadabra to Earth-1, and found him fighting the Flash. After Kadabra vanished to S.T.A.R. Labs, they eventually managed to imprison him, but he told Barry that he knew the identity of Barry's nemesis Savitar, and would tell him if they released him. Cynthia wanted to bring Kababra back to Earth-19 to stand trial for his crimes, but Barry and Joe West considered his offer. She revealed to Cisco that Kadabra killed her partner on Earth-19, and was determined to capture him, which she finally had a chance to do. Suddenly, Cynthia discovered that Joe was releasing Kadabra, and when he was about to tell him Savitar's identity, Cynthia arrived and Kadabra escaped to Eobard Thawne's Time Vault, where he stole a power source that he needed to power his time machine which would return him to the 64th Century. Cisco managed to track down Abra Kadabra by using satellites to detect his unique energy signature. They found him attempting to travel back to the future. Eventually they manage to stop him and Cynthia returned him to Earth-19 where he was presumably subsequently executed for his crimes.
When Cisco was captured by Savitar and Killer Frost, Cynthia sensed his danger and rescued him. He complained about it and she revealed to him that she was mentally connected to him. Afterwards, during the final confrontation between Team Flash and Savitar, Cynthia joined Cisco in combat against Killer Frost. After they succeeded in taking her down, Savitar ran into Cynthia to knock her down before he took hold of Cisco and tried to kill him, only for Killer Frost to save Cisco. Savitar was defeated, and the team returned to S.T.A.R. Labs.
In the following 5 months, Cisco and Cynthia grew closer and their relationship escalated. On Earth-19's "1-1-1" holiday (described by Cynthia as a holiday celebrating "when one soul plus one soul equals one soul", most likely the equivalent to Earth-1's Valentine's Day), Cynthia planned to go on a date with Cisco, but he couldn't make it and she got upset with him. However, they eventually celebrated the holiday, with Cynthia wearing a dress.
Hooking up one night, Cisco attempted to find out Cynthia's real name, but she refused to tell him. She left to use the bathroom, requesting Cisco lose his clothes while she was gone. While she was out of the room, her father appeared, attacking Cisco. Reaching a peace, Cynthia allowed Cisco to take her father back to S.T.A.R. Labs, before the three of them went to CC Jitters to grab a coffee. Breacher, however, recounted how his Earth's coffee crops had all been wiped out, so he abstained from ever drinking coffee again. Cynthia offered to go grab him a tea instead. When she returned, they'd left, and she deduced he'd begun hunting Cisco. Following the 24 hour period, Cynthia and Breacher went to leave, the latter expressing both his dislike and respect for Cisco, before calling Cynthia by her name, Cynthia, much to Cisco's delight. The pair then left to deal with a code 17 breach.
Cynthia later sent Cisco a Christmas present from Earth-19. Cisco mistakenly assumed the device to be a break-up cube despite protests from Harrison Wells that it wasn't. Cisco opened it, only for it to play a sexy message from Cynthia with everyone gathered at Joe West's home overhearing it to Cisco's horror.
Cynthia apparently sent Cisco many different cubes containing messages in hologram form, all of which Cisco kept. At one point, she sent a cube asking Cisco for his decision on whether or not to take her father's place as a hunter. Breacher had previously lost his powers due to old age and retired after asking Cisco to be "the new Breacher." Cisco did not answer the cube, not having decided yet (or at least not wanting to give an answer.)
Cynthia was later called in by Team Flash to attempt to co-vibe with Cisco to find where Clifford DeVoe would go next. They found that DeVoe was going to steal something from shipping container 16 at the Central City Docks. However, they discovered after going to the yard that they had seen the wrong container and had been too late to stop DeVoe. Cynthia attributed this to her and Cisco's recent problems in their relationship, resulting in them not being synced enough to co-vibe properly. Cisco then tells Team Flash what Breacher asked of him. Barry tries to talk to Cynthia, and get them to patch up their relationship so that they can find DeVoe. After failing to co-vibe again, they try to talk about their relationship. Cynthia reveals to Cisco that she doesn't want him to replace Breacher, and Cisco tells her that he is unsatisfied with them living on separate Earths. They are interrupted by Barry, who tells them that they are going after DeVoe.
As the both Clifford and his wife Marlize take a shot at taking the quantum PCs, Gypsy arrives with Barry, Cisco and Caitlin and attempt to take the DeVoes out. But Team Flash is defeated while Clifford utilizes his forces to strangle Gypsy, who starts gagging. Marlize gets up and persuades Clifford to stop. The DeVoes escape, and the team returns to S.T.A.R. Labs.
After their failed mission, the group returns to S.T.A.R. Labs, where they learn DeVoe's plan. Cisco and Gypsy later vibe to the Collectors Agency HQ on Earth-19. Choosing to cut off their association, Cisco tells her that he won't leave Team Flash to replace Breacher. They say goodbye to each other, and go their separate ways.
Eventually, Cynthia was able to track down Echo on Earth-19. The two started a duel in hand-to-hand combat, which Cynthia ultimately won. However, Echo revealed his identity to her, which turned out to be Cisco's Earth-19 doppelganger. She stopped attacking, and quickly breached him to Earth-1. That hesitation allowed Echo to use a transonic-demolecularizer on her, which vaporized her and killed her instantly. Her plan was that Earth-1's Cisco could unmask him.
Breacher would return from Earth-47 upon hearing of Cynthia’s death. He believed Cisco had killed her, but helped to catch Echo. Breacher invited Cisco and Kamilla to Cynthia’s remembrance ceremony on Earth-19.
Her stun pistol, which was on Earth-Prime for unknown reasons, was placed on display alongside other objects from fallen allies of Team Flash in the Hall of Fallen Heroes in S.T.A.R. Labs. Her name was also nano-engraved into the wall to protect her memory from any changes in the timeline.
While Cynthia believed the law should be enforced she still had a good heart. Cynthia was very flirty with Cisco Ramon because she thought he's cute. She was shown to keep her word as she kept her promise of giving Cisco one day until their battle to the death over H.R. Like H.R., Cynthia had a great appreciation for Earth-1's abundant supply of coffee, shown by taking a rather large amount with her back home, as all coffee has been wiped out on Earth-19. To which, she is also shown willing to bend certain rules. Cynthia had been shown to be immensely dedicated to her job, single-mindedly pursuing her targets with frightening resolve, and treating them with very little mercy. However, when her emotions are stirred, she could be persuaded to give up the chase, help others out of the line of duty, and even outright lie to her superiors in a compromise with those who have defeated her. This could be difficult, since she appears not to like opening up about details of her life, even to people she's close to (such as when she refused to tell Cisco her real name).
Powers and abilities
- Meta-human physiology: Through unknown means, Cynthia's physiology was altered and her DNA augmented, allowing her to access her new-found powers.
- Dimensional energy manipulation: Cynthia has a psychic link to the natural energies of reality, allowing her to connect with various vibrations of the multiverse and manipulate them for various effects.
- Dimensional awareness: Referred to as "vibing", Cynthia can perceive events throughout time and space through the kinetic sense; one such example of this is when she touched a tip given by H.R. Wells, allowing her to track him down. This also apparently augments her natural reflexes as she was able to counter The Flash during his sneak attack. Also, it seems this ability allows her to see through H.R.'s disguise as his partner Randolph Morgan, specifically calling him H.R. She is also able to Co-vibe with Cisco as a result of having deep connection with him and her powers.
- Interdimensional travel: Cynthia has the ability to open breaches through space, both between different universes and within the same universe, allowing her to instantaneously traverse tremendous distances. She could even utilize this aspect of her powers for defensive purposes as seen when she opened up a breach before Cisco, re-directing an icy blast fired at him by Earth-1's Killer Frost.
- Vibrational blasts: Cynthia can generate powerful concussive blasts of vibrations from her hands, strong enough to throw a fully-grown human quite a distance. Unlike Cisco's, they are red instead of blue. She can also use this power to disrupt Speed-Force powered movements, briefly stopping the speedster Wally West.
- Mental connection: As stated to Cisco, "vibers" are connected by their powers and are able to observe each other if they're skilled enough. Cynthia used it to find and rescue him from Savitar right as Killer Frost was about to execute him.
- Expert hand-to-hand combatant: Coupled with her powers, Cynthia has shown to be a relatively proficient unarmed melee fighter, catching even speedsters off-guard, leading her to be unrivaled in her role as a collector. Cisco Ramon did not see her losing a fight to anyone.
- Skilled markswoman: Cynthia was shown to be capable in the use of firearms, specifically with the stun pistol she used on H.R.
- Keen intellect: As an elite field officer, Cynthia is shown to be sharp-witted and intuitive. A skilled tracker, she was able to follow H.R.'s trail through the multiverse with ease. She is also very alert, anticipating H.R. and Barry's attempt to subdue her. In battle, she is very efficient using her powers in unison with her combat skills, using her breaches to appear from one location to the next during battle, leaving little time for her opponents to counter.
- Stun pistol: Aside from her concussive vibration blasts, Cynthia has an energy pistol as her sidearm, designed to stun targets rather than kill them. This allowed her to briefly knock out H.R. by shooting him in the chest and not damage him in the process, though he was left with soreness upon recovering moments later. In the new multiverse, it remained on Earth-Prime and was placed on display in the Hall of Fallen Heroes in S.T.A.R. Labs.
The Chronicles of Cisco
- Cynthia possesses the same powers as her father, suggesting that she may have inherited them, although it's unknown how and when meta-humans were created on Earth-19 (though if she did inherit them from her father, meta humans have been around on Earth-19 for longer than they have been on Earth-1.
- Cynthia has been shown to have a liking towards coffee from CC Jitters.
- Cynthia is lactose intolerant.
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics, Gypsy, also known as Cynthia "Cindy" Reynolds and Cynthia Mordeth depending on the iteration, is a skilled telepathic superheroine from Earth-1 who can cast illusions and turn invisible, with a similar counterpart on Earth 16. In the New 52 her relationships with Breacher and Cisco/Vibe are similar to the show, with little inspiration taken from her pre-Flashpoint character outside of including her skills as a marksman.
- Cynthia may also have been inspired by a minor Flash character, Peregrine. Peregrine was a female agent of the "Cronarch", ruler of the 64th Century, whom was tasked with hunting down time fugitive Abra Kadabra, considered to be a rebel and criminal in his home era. This situation resembles that of H.R. Wells being hunted by Cynthia because he'd broken the law prohibiting inter dimensional travel to or from Earth-19.