|In New Orleans, Constantine's unusual knowledge of a string of crimes gets him into trouble with Detective Jim Corrigan. He must form an unholy alliance with Papa Midnite when a voodoo ritual to help people communicate with their dead loved ones takes a deadly turn.|
- Matt Ryan as John Constantine
- Angélica Celaya as Zed Martin
- Charles Halford as Chas Chandler
- Harold Perrineau (credit only)
- Emmett Scanlan as Jim Corrigan
- Michael James Shaw as Papa Midnite
- Annie Monroe as Tammy Fraser
- Chasty Ballesteros as Misaki Ross
- Charity Jordan as Madeline Devereaux
- Colin Dennard as Philip Carlberg
- Yohance Myles as Clarke Devereaux
- Jason Rhymer as Trooper Floyd
- David Born as Berrington
- Becky Fly as Bridget Carlberg
- Candace B. Harris as Carly
- Leslie Hippensteel as Clerk
- Rohan Myers as Young Jimmy Corrigan
- Athena Bitzis as Momma Corrigan
- Blaze Luciano as Driver
- Robert Crayton as EMT
Jim Corrigan leaves the bar late at night and enters a nearby alley to dispose of himself. Seeing an approaching girl talking on the phone, he shows her a badge. After a while, she runs into another woman with her mouth covered, who attacks the girl with scissors, when she did not give her an answer to the question "is she pretty?" Seeing this, Corrigan draws a gun and tries to shoot the attacker, but no projectile deals any damage, and she runs away. The terrified detective looks at the dead body and the situation he is in, realizing the problems he may run into.
Meanwhile, at the mill, John is trying to repair one of the artifacts, when Zed has been trying for more than two hours to combine her visions with a bloody map. While Chas was preparing a meal, Martin's visions unexpectedly returned. She saw a little boy who was taught by his mother to shoot a pistol. Thus, Zed obtained a kind of connection with the map, which John was counting on, and they could go to the next place, which was New Orleans. After arriving, the three were the first to go to the mysterious alley where something paranormal happened last night. They found nothing suspicious, but they did meet Detective Corrigan, who was skeptical of "a bunch of occult freaks." But he knew what had happened in this place lately was not normal, and he took the business card from Constantine.
Soon after, Zed and John checked into the hotel where the exorcist revealed that he was furious that he didn't know anything about Martin. The latter revealed that she did not like wine and headed towards the elevator. When the door opened, the empath saw the street and a broken tree, and then a car racing towards her. Constantine quickly realized that they were currently dealing with two phenomena, so he decided to notify the police of the accident. In the morning, Chase and Chase went to the place from the vision, where they learned about the death of the driver who had asked about Philip the hitchhiker before his death. After a while, Corrigan himself arrived, arresting Constantine, suspecting him of being involved in the accident. While his friend was away, Chandler made sure that no one in the alley was hurt. Seeing the man walking there, he quickly warned him about the woman behind her. When she asked him a question, Chas replied that she was beautiful. It wasn't enough, however, and the ghost took off his mask, then asked again. Hearing the same answer again, she attacked Chas and started fighting him. Despite trying to defend himself, the ghost turned out to be smarter and murdered the man.
Meanwhile, Constantine was being questioned by Jim at the police station. The detective realized that the exorcist was right and presented him with the files of a model who committed suicide 5 years ago and a boy who died in an accident 3 years ago. John decided it would be good to meet with the relatives of the victims, as they might know something. He himself went to see Tammy Fraser, a former model linked to Misaki's suicide, while Zed contacted the hitchhiker's grandmother. They both revealed that they had recently contacted a certain Papa Midnite, whom Constantine decided to visit. When he found his whereabouts, he interrupted one of his rites and tried to explain what he was doing. The latter, however, angry with him because of the last meeting, put him to sleep and ordered him to be hidden in the trunk. Meanwhile, Zed was standing by the accident road, trying to scare off the hitchhiker ghost. After a while, Corrigan pulled up and offered to give him a lift themselves instead of driving the others away.
Papa Midnite contacted his deceased sister in Hell, asking her if Constantine was right. Hearing a positive response, he visited Madeline Devereaux, where he also met her late husband, who was in fact a life-draining spirit. Therefore, he decided to accept John's offer and work with him, but John in return wanted to contact Hell with the help of his sister, after executing the plan. Meanwhile, Jim and Zed, after a long ride, finally met Phil's ghost, which they decided to drop off. During a short conversation, however, the latter disappeared, jumping in front of the car, where it disappeared again. During this time, Papa and John collected the bodies of the summoned spirits to perform a ritual that would send them back to where they had come from.
Immediately after that, they tried a ritual that didn't work. The men argued, then realized what was blocking them. So they asked Corrigan to bring their relatives dead. During this time, both Zed and Chas took care of the remaining ghosts. When the detective was found, John explained that in order for everything to succeed, loved ones must forgive the dead and come to terms with their death. Immediately after that, they resumed the ritual, which this time brought the intended results, getting rid of the ghosts. Corrigan returned to the street to Martin, whom he said he knew a lot about her, but removed her file from the police evidence. When the girl touched the policeman, she saw him dead in a green aura. Not wanting to admit the truth, she revealed that everything was fine. At that time, John was drinking whiskey with Papa, and their truce was to end after he had drunk the drink. Constantine asked Midnite to ask the sisters about the Coming Darkness, but the sisters only revealed that no matter how much heart John puts into the fight, he would still lose, because someone close to him was involved.
- The woman in the surgical mask is based on a popular Japanese urban myth. According to the legend, children walking alone at night may encounter a woman wearing a surgical mask, which is not an unusual sight in Japan as people wear them to protect others from their colds or sickness. The woman will stop the child and ask, "Am I pretty?" If the child answers no, the child is killed with a pair of scissors which the woman carries. If the child answers yes, the woman pulls away the mask, revealing that her mouth is slit from ear to ear, and asks "How about now?" If the child answers no, he/she will be cut in half. If the child answers yes, then she will slit his/her mouth like hers. It is impossible to run away from her, as she will simply reappear in front of the victim.
- Director John Badham later directed the Constantine/Arrow crossover episode "".
- From the way young Jimmy is holding that revolver, if it had been a real .45 with real bullets in it, he'd have ended up getting hit in the face from the recoil as it went off.
|"" • "" • "" • "" • " " • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • ""|