- "I didn't just save the world. I made a new one."
- —Lex Luthor on his life Post-Crisis
"Deus Lex Machina" is the seventeenth episode of the fifth season of , and the one-hundred-fourth episode overall. It aired on May 3, 2020.
|Lex proceeds to lay an intricate plan to bring Lena closer to him, defeat Leviathan’s latest attack, and pit Supergirl and team against Leviathan. It is also revealed how Lex came into power after Crisis.|
- Melissa Benoist as Kara Danvers/Supergirl
- Chyler Leigh as Dr. Alex Danvers
- Katie McGrath as Lena Luthor
- Jesse Rath as Querl Dox/Brainiac 5
- Nicole Maines (credit only)
- Azie Tesfai as Dr. Kelly Olsen
- Andrea Brooks as Eve Teschmacher
- Julie Gonzalo as Andrea Rojas
- Staz Nair as William Dey
- David Harewood as J'onn J'onzz/Martian Manhunter
Special guest starring
- Brenda Strong as Dr. Lillian Luthor
- Sharon Leal as M'gann M'orzz/Miss Martian
- Patti Allan as Margot Morrison and Eve Teschmacher (as Margot Morrison)
- Anne Hollister as Bonnie Walker
- Jesse Moss as Richard Bates
- John Murphy as Derek
- Jason Mewes as Mississippi Farmer
Since the Anti-Monitor Crisis and the creation of Earth-Prime, everything that the Superfriends and their allies, like Lena Luthor, have experienced has been a part of Lex Luthor's grand scheme towards the destruction of anything that he feels makes itself superior to humanity, Kara Danvers included.
Lex has been behind the scenes influencing and manipulating events. He was a conspirator with the alternate Winn Schott when he arrived; he acted as a bartender and talked to Richard Bates; and Lex manipulated Eve Teschmacher so that she would kill Jeremiah Danvers and make it look like a heart attack. Lex has had Brainy to keep him abreast of the D.E.O. and Gemma Cooper to inform him of Leviathan's moves. Even Amy Sapphire unknowingly got her gauntlets from Lex. However, Lex's biggest problem is how to impress Lena, at the request of his mother, that all of the Luthor family should be united, so Lex decides to involve himself with her projects.
Lex went around the world to one hundred countries promoting Obsidian Platinum as his chess pieces moved into position. When he returned, he was upset to see Lena being humble before Kara, though she was there to give Kara her condolences on her father's death. He tells Lillian that he will use a Sun-Eater to his advantage. He plots against Leviathan to make them accelerate their project, then has Brainy convince Supergirl to use Myriad, from which Lena is banned. So Lex sends Lena to the Fortress of Solitude to prove her hypocrisy, but he also sends a Morae to get him a sun-eater.
Meanwhile, Lex has Margot Morrison killed and her hostages released to gain the trust of Leviathan, so that he can eventually have access to their ship and defeat the immortals; he will not allow humanity to be subjected to them any more. Supergirl and J'onn J'onzz find it hard to believe that Lex is a hero.
Done with Eve, Lex reveals to her that she was not his paramour, just another pawn. After bragging to his mother that he is winning his game, Lex realizes that he has the coordinates to the Fortress in his Transmatter portal and decides to have a visit.
- The episode's title is a play on the term deus ex machina.
- It also showcases Lex's supervillainy from the comics - hiding in plain sight while concocting his schemes.
- This episode was the directorial debut of Melissa Benoist.
- The episode's airdate was pushed back due to the COVID-19 pandemic. It aired on May 3, 2020.
- The instrumental rendition of "My Way" by Blake Neely plays when Lex arrives at the Fortress of Solitude.
- In the scenes of Lex in São Paulo, the Carioca Aqueduct is featured, which is actually located in Rio de Janeiro.
|"" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • " " • "" • ""|