At some point, Dion met a princess named Ariadne after she had escaped from a Labyrinth using a mystical thread saving her former lover Theseus who had then later abandoned her. Dion and Ariadne became lovers sometime later.
Dionysus left Olympus at some point to pursue an everlasting life of partying in college fraternities at Hudson University for years sometime later after Clotho had broken the Loom of Fate. He kept his Chalice nearby so that he could grant powers to those "Greeks" he deemed worthy.
Dion had Nate Heywood drink from a special IPA in order to have the truth about Clotho's intentions; Nate told Dion about the Loom of Fate and the Legends' need for immortality. Dion theorized that if Clotho could control destiny, then she would eventually cause his party to end. So when the women created the sorority Delta Chi Sigma, he told them that they were disqualified from using the Chalice.
Dion later noticed his frat brothers talking about how the Deltas were having a better party than he had, so he decided to attend their gathering. Sara Lance challenged Dion, who was undefeated to a game of beer-pong where the winner uses the Chalice. Sara quickly won. Dion kept his promise and filled the chalice with potion for the Legends to drink; he realized, through Clotho's trickery, that she was as rebellious as he remembered and had no desire to dismiss free will. Dion left, looking for another party.
Powers and abilities
- Deity physiology: As a deity, Dionysus has special abilities.
- Immortality: As a deity, Dionysus is immune to aging and can live forever. He has already lived for millennia, and Nate noted that he has not aged since he was in the university. However, as an Olympian, he must be worshiped in order for him to maintain his immortality.
- Ecstasy inducement: According to Clotho, Dionysus can put a person in a state of ecstasy, turning them into followers. He had Nate drink a special personally created beer to elicit his compliance.
- Devotion reliance: Like all Olympians, Dionysus's power is dependent on the religious devotion of humans for him. Without it, he has very little to no power, and if he will go enough time without being worshiped, he will die out.
- Chalice of Dionysus: Dionysus uses an ancient magical Chalice to grant temporary immortality to those he chooses.
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
Behind the scenes
- Dionysus is the god of the grape-harvest, wine-making and wine, of fertility, ritual madness, religious ecstasy, festivity and theatre in ancient Greek religion and myth.
- Those who partake of Dionysus's mysteries are believed to become possessed and empowered by the god himself, which may be the inspiration behind his Chalice giving godhood for a day.