The Loop (TV)
Do you like this video?
|"Things were looking a little grim, but part of me was, admittedly, a little excited for a "reunion" of old friends."|
- "Just focus for just a second and take this seriously, because the world thinks that you're Oliver Queen and I'm Barry Allen, and I would really like to know why! Is that cool?"
- —Oliver Queen to Barry Allen
|When Barry Allen and Oliver Queen wake up one morning and realize they have swapped bodies with each other, the two set off to find out what disturbed the timeline to cause such a shift. However, things quickly go from bad to worse when they present their case to Team Flash and the gang doesn't believe them. Barry and Oliver realize they need Supergirl's help and travel to Smallville on Earth-38 where they end up meeting Kara's cousin, Clark Kent, and intrepid reporter, Lois Lane.|
- This is the first episode of the series to not feature Jessica Parker Kennedy (Nora West-Allen) after being promoted to series regular.
- This is also the only episode of Season 5 not to feature Nora.
- The episode was previously titled "Elseworlds: Hour One".
- The episode's title is listed as "Elseworlds: Hour One" on Netflix in the United States, Canada, and Israel.
- After Barry and Oliver switch lives, Barry refers to it by saying "Man, what a total Freaky Friday. No, wait, we didn't switch bodies. It's more of a Quantum Leap". In the Freaky Friday franchise, the characters' minds swap bodies. In the Quantum Leap TV series, Dr. Sam Beckett changes places with people when he's still in his own body but people perceive him to be the other person, which is closer to their situation.
- Noticeably, despite Barry obtaining Oliver's more muscular build from inheriting his life, Oliver did not obtain Barry's slim frame, but rather remained the same.
- A major Smallville easter egg appears in this episode where the show's theme song "Save Me" by Remy Zero was played during the introduction of the Earth-38 Smallville, with the farm location featured in Smallville also reused. In addition, the Smallville version of Green Arrow's suit appeared in the opening scene on one of the corpses of the Earth-90 heroes killed by the Monitor.
- Lois calls Clark "Smallville", referencing Clark's nickname given to his comic book counterpart by Lois Lane.
- When Barry tried to talk like Oliver, he said "wear a mask", which is what Oliver said to him in "".
- The scene when Barry shot Oliver with arrows is almost an exact replica of the original scene from "", with Barry and Oliver switching dialogue and roles.
- The shot that shows the remote control bows is recycled from that episode, with only a few changes through edits.
- When Oliver is about to faint, Iris says "Nanites, courtesy of Ray Palmer", the same quote Oliver said to the Reverse-Flash in "", which became an internet meme after that episode's airing.
- When Team Flash realizes something weird's going on, Ralph says, "Man, it's not even Tuesday". This fourth-wall-breaker is a nod to the fact that episodes of typically air on Tuesday nights, but that the show swapped time slots with , instead airing on Sunday night, for the crossover event.
- After Barry shot him with arrows, Oliver complained that Barry can't solve any problem without Iris giving him a motivational speech. This is a reference to a real-life complaint from fans of the show, that in most episodes Barry isn't able to solve a problem until Iris gives him a speech on comms.
- Referencing A.M.A.Z.O., Ralph says "So an evil copycat Gort is coming to klaatu barada kick-to our asses". This line is a reference to the 1951 film The Day the Earth Stood Still and its character Gort, also using the phrase "klaatu barada" from it.
- During the same conversation, Cisco refers to the situation by saying "How do you stop a T-3000 that kills for breakfast?", which is a reference to the popular Terminator franchise.
- When the Flash was distracting A.M.A.Z.O., the chase leads to a scaffolding area, which bears resemblance to where the Prism was located during "".
- When Cisco asks who Clark is, Clark replies "A friend", referencing the 1978 film and the first feature-length adaptation of the Man of Steel himself, Superman.
- A part of the Super Friends intro plays when Clark does the infamous Superman "S" reveal.
- The Tom Cavanagh-directed cold open previously appeared at the conclusion of the episode "", episode "", and episode "".
- The super-speed sketch Oliver made of the Monitor and John Deegan was drawn and provided by DC artist Jim Lee.
- When Barry and Oliver meet Clark, Barry asks the Oliver if he's puffing out his chest, to which Oliver agrees. In the original script, Oliver was instead supposed to say "no".
- According to Barry, A.M.A.Z.O. can't run and phase at the same time, although there were countless instances shown where speedsters phased through walls while running; including Barry when he first learned to phase.
- As seen when John Deegan later rewrote Earth-1's reality with the Book of Destiny, thereby turning himself into Superman and leaving Kara locked up in the S.T.A.R. Labs' pipeline, even if someone who's not native to an Earth altered by the Book of Destiny is on the effected Earth when reality is altered, they'll retain their memories of reality as it had previously been. But, when Barry and Oliver swapped lives as a result of Deegan's first Elseworld, Sherloque, who isn't from Earth-1, still perceived Barry as Oliver, and Oliver as Barry.
- Team Flash consider the possibility that "Barry" and "Oliver" are telling the truth about their lives beings swapped. Even Sherloque agrees that the idea is feasible. Iris adds that "Barry" has been treating her like he doesn't even know her. However, they all agree to detain the two, fearing they will go bonkers if left alone.
- ↑ "The Flash - Episode 5.08 - 5.11 - Titles Revealed" - SpoilerTV
- ↑ Jim Lee (@jimlee) - Twitter
- ↑ "Stephen Amell Previews Arrow's Farewell Run, Opens Up About What Arrowverse Legacy Means to Him" - TV Line
- ↑ ""
- ↑ ""
|"" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • " " • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • ""|
|"" • ""|
|"" • ""|
|"" • "" () • "" () • "" ()|
|"" • "" • "" • ""|
|"" • """ • "|
|"" • "" • "" • "" • ""|
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.