Evan Blake is an art thief known as Wolf Spider and an old friend of Kate Kane.
In the eighth grade, Evan, who was still closeted at the time, asked Kate to go with him to Gotham Prep 's Eighth Grade Winter Formal. Despite Kate already being out as a lesbian, she agreed to go with him to the dance. On the night of the dance, Evan's parents took him to pick Kate up. Upon arrival, he saw Kate in a velvet tailored suit and broke down into tears at the sight of her "radiating queer confidence" from her.
Kate took him up to her room and the two discussed her identity, with Evan coming out as gay to Kate, which she claimed to already have known. The two then went to the dance, and Evan came out by wearing Kate's Alexander McQueen off-the-shoulder mini, with them no longer being afraid to be themselves. Shortly after arriving at the dance Kate apparently ditched him to make out with Maggie Watson.
At some point, Evan became Senior Editor at the Gotham Museum of Antiquities. They also began curating their own private collections. Later, Evan was caught with stolen artifacts, and was forced to pay restitution of some kind. Later, Evan became the art thief known as "Wolf Spider". In or shortly before 2021, they took a trip to Berlin for unknown reasons.
Return to Gotham
When he heard about Kate's disappearance in 2021, they returned to Gotham City, where they came back to act as his alter-ego Wolf Spider, calling the attention of the media. They later was brought in for questioning by Commander Jacob Kane and Agent Sophie Moore of Crows Security. The two believed he may have had information on a painting by Jack Napier which may contain information on the whereabouts of Coryana. They told them about his history with Kate and said he was sorry about her disappearance. They also said that the interrogation would only continue in the presence of a lawyer.
Later as Wolf Spider, they secretly overheard Sophie's conversation with Batwoman at the top of a building.
Evan then goes to an art auction, where Ryan Wilder tries to sell him a Batarang. Evan asks what bat the batarang is from and then about Ryan's dress, which she answers incorrectly. Then Angelique Martin appears and says that Ryan is with her. They have a conversation about their pronouns and then Evan tells Ryan that she doesn't have to pretend to be who she isn't.
Evan later wears the Wolf Spider suit and steals Jack Napier's painting. They manages to go out with it even with the security guards trying to stop them, but they is interrupted by Batwoman. They have a brief fight and Evan manages to hit her where she was injured, so they finally runs away.
Evan runs with the painting and two Crows in an SUV pursue them. To get the painting, they hit them with their vehicle and leave them for dead. Batwoman arrives with the Batmobile, discovers that Wolf Spider is Evan, and takes them to Mary Hamilton's secret clinic to heal. Evan wakes up and Mary tells him that the painting was fake and that he should get a new suit. Even says he just wanted to help find Kate.
- Peak of human physical condition: Evan is in top peak human physical condition. He is able to lift his own body weight to scale up and suspend themselves on high structures for long periods of time. He can run at great distances without showing any visible signs of exhaustion, even keeping pace with a moving Crows vehicle and can even outpace gunfire from multiple opponents.
- Master acrobat: Evan is a highly agile and acrobatic individual able to scale his way up and around building structures, as well as flexible enough to maintain balance while assuming and maintaining otherwise discomforting postures in asymmetrical positions and at inconvenient angles. He implants his natural agility in combat to dodge his foe's strikes or use flexible and unorthodox attacks. He can even perform flips and somersaults when implementing evasive maneuvers being able to jump over car blocking his way, dodge a batarang, evade a taser, and even avoid gunfire.
- Master hand-to-hand combatant/Martial artist: Evan is a highly skilled hand-to-hand combatant and martial artist; his combat style seems to comprise of Boxing, Karate, Krav Maga and Capoeira. He was able to go head-on against Ryan Wilder (under the persona of Batwoman) even managing to brief gain the upper hand before being bested and forced to retreat.
- High-level intellect/Skilled tactician: Evan is a skilled planner. He is able to steal several paintings and come up with different escape routes from a facility. Evan also has keen eye for craftsmanship from a dress to even a batarang.
- Expert thief: Evan is an experienced thief; as he is able to steal from highly secure places and make their escape.
- Skilled computer hacker: Evan is a skilled computer hacker, as he is able to hack into a building's lighting to create an emoji image.
- Master of stealth: Evan is highly skilled in the art of stealth; as he was able to spy upon Sophie Moore and Ryan (under the persona of Batwoman) without being seen.
- Wolf Spider suit: Evan wears a protective lycra suit when operating as Wolf Spider.
- Painting carrier: Evan has a special cylindrical casing for paintings which can be carried on their back.
- Boxcutter: Evan used a boxcutter to remove a painting from its frame.
- Evan is genderqueer, using he/him and they/them pronouns.
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics, Wolf Spider is an art thief and old friend of Kate Kane. Wolf Spider's first appearance in the comics, Batwoman #26.