A firearm is a portable, handheld gun. Notable individuals shown to be extremely proficient with firearms, include John Diggle, Laurel Lance, Sara Lance, Lyla Diggle and Oliver Queen. Also known as small arms or light weapons, such weapons include revolvers and pistols, rifles and carbines, assault rifles, submachine guns and light machine guns. There are also higher, less portable version of guns are called weapon mounts and artillery pieces.
By Rip Hunter's time, firearms shoot energy bolts or blasts of various colors and intensities, instead of any solid projectiles.
Known types of firearms
- Assault rifle: An assault rifle is a selective-fire rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine.
- Carbine: A carbine is a long gun firearm but with a shorter barrel than a rifle or musket.
- Grenade launcher: A grenade launcher is a weapon that fires a specially-designed large-caliber projectile, often with an explosive, smoke or gas warhead.
- Machine gun: A machine gun is a fully automatic mounted or portable firearm designed to fire rifle cartridges in rapid succession from an ammunition belt or magazine.
- Pistol: A pistol is a type of handgun.
- Revolver: A revolver is a repeating handgun that has a revolving cylinder containing multiple chambers and at least one barrel for firing.
- Rifle: A rifle is a portable, long-barrelled firearm designed for accurate long-range shooting, to be held with both hands and braced against the shoulder for stability during firing, and with a barrel that has a helical pattern of grooves ("rifling") cut into the bore wall.
- Shotguns: A shotgun is a firearm that is usually designed to be fired from the shoulder, which uses the energy of a fixed shell to fire a number of small spherical pellets called shot, or a solid projectile called a slug.
- Sub machine guns: A sub machine gun is a magazine-fed, automatic carbine designed to shoot handgun cartridges.
In Rip Hunter's time, weapons still have the appearance, functions, components, operation, and usage of modern firearms, as there are handguns that can resemble revolvers, with the exception that they shoot energy bolts or blasts, which have been called "laser blasts" by Rip Hunter. The energy shots can have various colors, notably blue, green, red, or orange. For most weapons, the part of it that contains ammunition, either the cylinder, handle, or barrel, glowing or shining the color of its ammunition. Depending on the weapon type firing it, the energy round will either just hit with great force, cause damage through a burst of flames and sparks on the target, or completely vaporize or pulverize a target. In addition, the weapons could also knock a person unconscious, seemingly due to the weapons having a stun setting. It would seem as some future clothing, such as Rip Hunter's and Jon Valor's, are somewhat immune to the energy rounds, as the wearer will only be sent flying through the air or knocked down. The Time Masters, Chronos, Rip Hunter, and even some Time Pirates use these types of weapons. A notable weapon of this kind is Rip Hunter's personal sidearm or the Laser pistols used by associates of Eobard Thawne.