- "Your cousin has a base, it's a fortress, I guess, in the Arctic. Now, we don't know much about it, but we do know it's a place that he's been able to commune with his Kryptonian ancestors."
- —Alex Danvers to Kara Danvers[src]
Kara Danvers uses the Fortress, also, and when President Baker fired her from the D.E.O. and Clark and Lois Lane moved to Argo City, The Fortress of Solitude became Kara's headquarters as Supergirl.
The Fortress of Solitude is a vast sanctuary hidden somewhere in the Arctic. It appears to be built entirely from either crystal or ice.
The Fortress is only accessible via a special key, made from condensed Dwarf star material, which can only be lifted by beings with extreme levels of superhuman strength, as it weighs approximately a million tons. Inside, the compound houses a display of items Superman collected over the years from his adventures, as well as statues of his parents. Also present is some from of interactive computer database.
The facility was maintained by Kelex, who recognized Kal-El and Kara Zor-El, as well as certain friends such as James Olsen and J'onn J'onzz as friendly, but maintained defensive programming against strangers such as Hank Henshaw.
Kara later visited the Fortress seeking out Kal-El's whereabouts and then the purpose of Myriad. Kelex was unable to assist Kara, but when she pointed out the fate of the House of El was at stake, the fortress somehow triggered a hologram of Kara's mother, Alura, who revealed the truth about Myriad's programming.
After Project Cadmus captured Supergirl and extracted a sample of her blood, they sent Hank Henshaw here to gather information about "Medusa". At first, Henshaw was considered to be an intruder, until he used Kara's blood to steal files about "Project Medusa". Later, when Kara showed up at the Fortress of Solitude to learn about the Medusa virus, Kelex considered Kara to be the intruder and attacked her, forcing Kara to destroy Kelex.
Mon-El and Kara decided to talk to Rhea about calling off the bounty on Supergirl's head. She refused and attacked Supergirl with Kryptonite daggers, nearly killing the Girl of Steel. Mon-El interrupted and decided to go with his mom to save Kara's life.
Known holographic entities
- Clark Kent
- Kara Danvers
- James Olsen
- J'onn J'onzz
- Hank Henshaw
- Lillian Luthor
- Alex Danvers
- Oliver Queen
- Barry Allen
- Lois Lane
- Cisco Ramon
- Nia Nal
- Querl Dox
- Manchester Black
Behind the scenes
- The Fortress of Solitude in the comics, is Superman's sanctuary located in the Arctic. It first appeared in Superman #17 (July, 1942), created by Jerry Siegel and John Sikela.
- For being Superman's Fortress of Solitude, there seems to be overwhelmingly enough information of Supergirl's parentage present within the holographic memory files.
- This could also have to do with the Fortress being a complete Kryptonian archive.