The Fortress of Solitude is a vast sanctuary hidden somewhere in the Arctic. It appears to be built entirely from either crystal or ice. 
Inside, the compound houses a display of items Superman collected over the years from his adventures, as well as statues of his parents. Also present is some form of interactive computer database.
At some point in the history of Earth-Prime, three rings that could absorb and emit Kryptonite radiation were stored in Fortress. The Jarhanpurian named Rama Khan claims that they were his and were stolen from him long ago.
At some point, Superman was exposed to so much Kryptonite that he needed to go to the Fortress to be healed by having it burned from his system.
Angry that Kara planned to use Myriad after saying that it was forbidden, Lena Luthor was teleported to the Fortress. Unbeknownst to her, a Morae who worked for Leviathan traveled with her. As Kara and Lena argued about hypocrisy, the Morae agent opened the cage to a baby Sun-Eater.
Later, Lex Luthor noticed that he had access to Superman's Fortress of Solitude through the teleporter. While inside the Fortress, Lex stole something for Leviathan to be used against Supergirl, later revealed to be Rama Khan's rings.
Clark had brought Jordan to the Fortress after he manifested some abilities and wished to test for more information. However the A.I of Jor-El concluded that Jordan's powers were a result of brief flare ups and that his human DNA would limit him.
Clark tells Lois that he is taking Jordan to the Fortress, when Jordan's powers flare uncontrollably. The A.I. tells Clark that Jordan will feel pain until he learns to control his super hearing.
Since Jordan's lungs were freezing due to second-hand exposure to the synthetic kryptonite of Project 7734, Clark brought Jordan to the Fortress to be healed. The Jor-El A.I. told Clark that it had to be burned from Jordan's system for him to heal.
Kal-El went to the Fortress to talk to the Jor-El A.I. about the revelation that Tal-Rho is his maternal half-brother. As the two talked, Jor-El revealed that reversing the Eradicator was beyond his knowledge. Tal-Rho followed Clark to the fortress and put him in a trance where he kept reliving his memories. When Clark woke up, Tal destroyed Jor-El's hologram.
The Inverse World's Kal-El flew to the Fortress after fighting Superman, where he took off his armor after sustaining damage during the fight. To protect his Inverse World counterpart from being killed by Mitch Anderson, Superman gave Anderson coordinates to the Fortress instead of Tal-Rho's fortress, where he actually was. Soldiers went to the Fortress and discovered the armor of Superman's counterpart, leading Anderson to conclude that they were working together.
Known stored items
Current stored items
- Earth (Earth-TUD17) (shrunken Earth along with 7 billion shrunken humans and other individuals inhabiting it and bottled)
- Solar hammer
- A baby Sun-Eater
Former stored items
- Alex Danvers
- J'onn J'onzz
- Kal-El (Inverse World)
- Jordan Kent
- M'gann M'orzz
- Lois Lane
- Lex Luthor
- Lena Luthor
- Unnamed Morae
Superman & Lois
- Kelex does not appear when Superman visits, suggesting he has been decommissioned or now works from the Tower or D.E.O..
Behind the scenes
- The Fortress of Solitude in the comics is Superman's sanctuary located in the Arctic. It first appeared in Superman #17 (July, 1942), created by Jerry Siegel and John Sikela.
- The Fortress changes appearance in , being more cave-like and malformed, rather the bright and more refined appearance in . No in-universe explanation has been given as to why a second set was built, but it's more than likely due to restrictions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The coordinates of the Fortress that Superman gave to Mitch Anderson in "" (76.2 N, 100.6 W) places the Fortress around Bathurst Island, Canada.
|Other versions of Fortress of Solitude (Earth-Prime)|
|To see other versions of this location, click the Earth name below for that Earth's counterpart of Fortress of Solitude.|
|Earth: Prime • Inverse World|
|Earth: 38 • 86 • TUD22|