- For other uses of "Magenta", see Magenta (disambiguation).
- "Oh I wanted to do much more than just hurt him. Now I'm gonna do the same to you."
- —Magenta threatening Julian Albert[src]
Frankie Kane is a meta-human orphan who lived with her abusive foster father, John James, and his wife, Karen James. Her split-personality refers to herself as Magenta, and both she and Frankie were affected as a result of the temporal changes due to the Flashpoint timeline and gained the ability to control metal.
Frankie Kane was an orphan who spent her life moving between several foster homes. Most of the homes she lived in were poor social environments and Frankie eventually developed dissociative identity disorder so her mind could attempt to cope with the resulting fear. Her other personality referred to itself as "Magenta".
Sometime prior to late 2016, Frankie was taken in by John and Karen James. Unfortunately, John's abusive nature soon caused Frankie's mental state to further deteriorate. Frankie soon began having dreams of her life in the Flashpoint timeline, and eventually began hearing the voice of Alchemy in her head. Alchemy informed Frankie that she could get what she wanted while also gaining powers. Frankie initially believed she was losing her sanity, but Magenta temporarily took over and tracked down Alchemy, who used his abilities to transform her into a meta-human.
Against Team Flash
One night, John came home and demanded Frankie and Karen prepare him dinner, complaining about them being ungrateful. Karen rushed into the kitchen while Frankie protested his words. John berated Frankie, warning her to never speak to him like that again. Magenta then took over and used her powers to send a lamppost crashing through their living room window, severely injuring John.
The following day, Frankie was questioned by Detective Joe West. Later, Julian Albert discovered that she was responsible for putting John in the hospital. When Albert demanded Frankie to admit it, Magenta took over Frankie and tore the Central City Police Department relief in an attempt to drop it on Julian. Magenta fled as the Flash rescued Julian. After the Flash confronted her and offered help, Magenta refused and flipped a police car. As Barry rescued the officer, Magenta used the opportunity to escape once again.
Magenta confronted Alchemy, telling him that Frankie was still fighting for control. Alchemy then told Magenta that once she showed Frankie's foster father that Magenta was in control, Frankie would also.
Magenta used her powers to bring a tanker to kill John, though was thwarted by the Flash. After Jesse Quick came to the Flash's aid and kept the tanker from falling onto Central City Hospital, Magenta was confronted by the Flash. Magenta told the Flash that she wanted both her foster father and Frankie gone. Magenta was told that she shouldn't let her foster father destroy the good left in her by the Flash. Magenta was then told that he never forgave himself for his mistakes, and instead took it out on her and he couldn't move forward. She was then told that she could and what she was doing wasn't the way. Finally, Frankie stopped her actions and returned the tanker. Frankie apologized and broke down in the Flash's arms as he comforted her.
At S.T.A.R. Labs, Team Flash informed Frankie that John was being prosecuted by the DA for domestic abuse and she revealed to them the origins of her powers. Caitlin Snow arranged for a better foster home for Frankie in Keystone City. When Frankie wondered would happen if Magenta tried to come back, Barry urged her to fight it and assured Frankie she could call them if she needed help.
After Earth-Prime was formed, Frankie and Magenta's pictures appeared in a "Who's Who" binder of people whose statuses are unknown. Caitlin Snow even asked about her and stated that she took a liking to her.
Despite having an abusive upbringing in almost every foster home she stayed at, Frankie is still a very kind and compassionate yet meek individual, but also very timid and scared. Eventually Frankie grew desperate enough to protect herself, so she went to Alchemy after he promised to make her into a meta-human. Frankie was horrified at Magenta's actions and as a result, Frankie resolved to be a better person by fighting off Magenta's persona with the help of S.T.A.R. Labs if that point should ever come again.
Due to being in foster care and always shipped off to abusive homes, Frankie developed a split-personality manifested from her suppressed anger for all the abuse she endured, which became fully manifested upon gaining her meta-human powers. As Magenta, she grew so sick and tired of the abuse she had to endured, hurting her abuser, John James; as he rightly earned it, but Magenta is short-sighted when it came to attempting to kill her former foster father, as she endangered innocent lives. However, Magenta felt contempt towards Frankie as she saw her as weak.
Powers and abilities
- Meta-human physiology: After Frankie was given energy from the Philosopher's Stone, this altered her DNA and supercharged her cells, augmenting her mental capabilities.
- Split personality: After Frankie gained powers, they often manifested with her second personality, Magenta. However, Frankie could still use her powers when her Magenta personality wasn't in control.
- Unlike most meta-humans, Frankie has a split personality due to prior experiences, likened to Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics, Frances "Francine" Kane, alias Magenta, was a member of the Teen Titans and childhood friend of Wally West, and a romantic interest, who later became a villainous character and acolyte of the Cicada Cult. She was also a member of the Blacksmith's Rogues, before joining James Jesse's anti-Rogue group.
- In the DC comics, Frances "Frankie" Kane, actually had powers over magnetism rather than only being able to control metals, as shown when she levitates via magnetic flight, creates a magnetic field that repels most attacks, and rips Girder in half.