- "It's a huge risk for me to be here. But that's how far I'm willing to go to set things right for Lynn, for all those kids, and for Freeland."
- —Gardner Grayle to Jefferson and Anissa Pierce
Early lifeGardner Grayle joined the army and eventually ended up in the 75th ranger regiment prior to becoming an A.S.A. agent.
During the Anti-Monitor Crisis, Gardner as well as everyone in the multiverse except for the seven Paragons, was killed in an antimatter wave by the Anti-Monitor on December 10, 2019, only to be restored a month later, after the Paragons and the Spectre created a new universe.
Gardner Grayle confronted Lynn Stewart after she left her bag containing Green Light at the A.S.A. facility. Returning the bag, he voices his determination to aid her in saving the meta-human children in the facility and his disparagement of being part of their actions. Hoping to make up for this, he joins Lynn in breaking out Tobias Whale and willingly becomes her test subject for a serum that can temporarily grant meta-human abilities. After taking the serum, Grayle turns invisible, proving her serum effective. After successfully breaking out Tobias, Lynn searches for Grayle before being abducted by Markovians.
After learning of Lynn's abduction, Grayle is forced to use her phone to contact Jefferson and Anissa Pierce in order to inform them of her abduction and states that, despite searching for her, Sara Grey may need Black Lightning's aid. He then leaves in order to stage a meet between the two. After the two parties ultimately decide to work together, Gardner Grayle joins the team in infiltrating Markovia and rescuing Lynn.
Powers and abilities
- Invisibility: After taking Lynn Stewart's meta-human serum, Gardner was able to turn invisible for an hour.
- Peak of human physical condition: Gardner is in top physical condition from his time with the A.S.A.
- Master hand-to-hand combatant/martial artist: Gardner is a proficient unarmed combatant due to his training from the A.S.A.
- Skilled marksman: Gardner is quite proficient in the use of firearms.