- For the artificial intelligence operating on the Wellenreiter, see Wellenreiter artificial intelligence.
Gideon is an interactive artificial consciousness programmed to operate the Waverider's critical systems and to aid Rip Hunter and the Legends on missions. Its holographic appearance is strikingly similar to that of the Gideon system that will be created by Barry Allen.
- 1 History
- 2 Personality
- 3 List of programs/override codes
- 4 Capabilities
- 5 Appearances
- 6 Gallery
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Behind the scenes
- 9 References
Assisting the Legends
Similar to her counterpart that assisted Eobard Thawne, the Waverider's Gideon is programmed with a feminine personality and appears either as a disembodied voice, or a holographic projection of a bald woman's head.
Among the abilities she possesses is healing, putting people to sleep and reading their dreams. Gideon also has some sort of hacking ability, allowing her to sabotage other AIs or appear as a different data sender to fool computer systems. She is also able to produce plans to deal with situations on her own. Gideon shows signs of this when Rip Hunter stole the Waverider and she asked Rip what he meant to retrieve. Gideon was told not what, but who. Gideon was then asked to pull out the files of eight men and women.
After Rip Hunter left with Carter Hall, Kendra Saunders, Martin Stein, and Ray Palmer, Jefferson Jackson tried to order Gideon to take him home, though Gideon told Jefferson it was programmed not to. When Gideon asked an enraged Jefferson if he needed a sedative, the Waverider was attacked. When the team returned to the Waverider with Aldus Boardman, Gideon told them Aldus had sustained severe internal injuries. After Carter dies at the hands of Vandal Savage, Gideon identifies different rocks within Kendra's body that came to be the after-effects of the stabbing given by Savage to Kendra with the Amon Dagger. When Leonard Snart returns from a personal confrontation between him and his father in order to help his father avoid an arrest, Gideon shows that two days after the confrontation his father Lewis would sell out to an undercover cop and still get arrested even after changing history.
After Rip Hunter "kills" Savage at a ritual in 1975, he orders Gideon to time-travel to 1986. Once there, Gideon intercepts personal files from the Pentagon over Savage's whereabouts and his newly-hired scientist Valentina Vostok. To help Ray and Leonard speak Russian, Gideon modifies their voices with larynx capsules provided by Rip. When Ray, Leonard, and Professor Stein discover and invade Vostok's laboratory, Stein discovers a thermal core, several corpses, and photos which reveal attempts at making a Soviet Firestorm. After all three are captured and Sara decides not to kill Stein. Gideon predicts with a projection that in 2016, Star City will be invaded by multiple Soviet Firestorms. However, the undercover mission of the Legends in which they are to get each other out of Savage's prison works and Gideon hovers the Waverider quickly to rescue the team right before the Soviet Firestorm (the mutated Valentina Vostok) triggers a nuclear explosion within her body. As the team celebrates, Gideon senses the presence of the bounty hunter Chronos who is attacking them. Hunter quickly orders Gideon to subdue the attacks; Gideon manages to fight off all of the missiles except one. The missile ultimately comes to knock them out of the timestream and the Waverider lands in a mysterious location.
When Rip Hunter asks Gideon what year they are after having landed the Waverider safely, the AI computer responds that they are in the year 2046. When Sara sees a Smoak Technologies building, she speculates that they are in Star City; their assumption is furthermore strengthened when they confront a mysterious archer. While the team is busy facing the archer that claims to be the new Green Arrow, the Waverider starts burning from the interior and Gideon is shut down, most possibly due to the fire raging around the city. With the ship out of power, Rip, along with Sara and the archer, decide to retrieve a prototype to make Gideon function again, meeting the original Green Arrow on the way.
Gideon is soon able to function after the team (excluding Sara, Snart, and Rory) finishes fixing the different parts of the Waverider. However, after an argument sparks between Rip and Sara over helping the two archers, Gideon tells Hunter that it cannot guarantee the ship's energy to keep running for long. Later on, Snart locks up a knocked-out Rory after an argument in a cell provided by Gideon's system. After the team helps both Green Arrows defeat Deathstroke, Hunter instructs Gideon to process the coordinates to an unknown location. Gideon gives a report to Hunter about the overall progress of the Waverider and credits Kendra Saunders for most of the work. Gideon was about to mention that Jax and Palmer were preoccupied trying to court Kendra, but was interrupted by Professor Stein to get out of the apocalyptic city.
When the team captures Per Degaton, Savage's future ally who would unleash the Armageddon virus that would thin the world's population enough for world conquest, Sara asked what Per was dreaming of when he was sedated. Gideon answered that Per was dreaming of baking cookies with his mother, revealing that Gideon was capable of monitoring everyone's dreams. Gideon stated an example by telling Sara of her dreams of a young nurse.
After the Legends' mission in 1637 France, Gideon remarked about another successful mission to Rip. When a time quake hit, she informed the team of its origin in New York City, 1942. Sara went to the library where Gideon provided her with information on Damien Darhk's whereabouts in 1942. When the team was time scattered by Rip, Gideon was shut down by Rip so he could make contact with the time drive. Later when all of the Legends were rescued by Nate Heywood and Mick after Rip time scattered the Legends, she played Rip's final message for them.
During their mission in 1942, the Legends brought the Justice Society of America to the Waverider and Gideon helped Vixen plan an attack on Krieger at the Fontainebleau Forest. Nate was injured in a bombing run so Gideon tried to administer medical assistance in the med bay but his hemophilia prevented Gideon from stabilizing his condition until Ray used a modified serum to heal Nate. During this mission, Sara was appointed the new captain of the Waverider by Stein.
After 1942, the Legends went into the temporal zone. Sara asked Gideon to pilot the ship when Amaya ambushed Sara and knocked her out. Later, when Ray and Nate blew a hole into the ship, Gideon informed them that the ship had lost control and that the team was screwed. The team rescued Ray and Nate so Gideon played one of Rip's favorite songs before they flew off to their next mission.
After Rip had his mind altered by the Legion of Doom, the Legends brought him aboard the ship where he used an override code to trigger a self-destruct on the ship through Gideon. After crashing, Gideon and Mick suggested going into the former Captain's brain in order to change him back. After Sara and Jax enter Rip's mind, they encounter Gideon. She takes human form in Rip's mind, helps Jax find Rip. They eventually do and Gideon helps Rip remember who he is. Rip now has to exit his mind and back to the physical world, however, he kissed Gideon before leaving. Rip later apologized for overriding Gideon. She then told Rip that she remembered the kiss and that it was nice. Her visual representation was also shown in Zari's subconsciousness.
In an alternate timeline created by Charlie and John Constantine attempting to go back in time and rescue Constantine's boyfriend Desmond, Ray, Mick and Nate were all killed by the Fairy Godmother and Zari turned into a cat. This caused Sara, Ava Sharpe and Gideon, in her human form, to form the Sirens of Space-Time, an organization working under the Time Bureau to hunt and kill Magical fugitives to avenge the boys' deaths.
To find out what had happened to turn the Legends into "SOS" and find out why they were so intent on killing magical creatures, Charlie, posed as Amaya Jiwe infiltrated the Sirens and asked to join on their next mission though Gideon detected right away that this was not really Amaya. Nevertheless, they played along as they dismissed "Amaya's" attempt to convince them not all magical creatures deserved to be killed. Soon, they revealed they kew who she was and readied to attack her, though Charlie fled the scene before they could and left to fix the timeline.
After many attempt to fix what was wrong with time without going back to their original timeline, Charlie and Constantine eventually realized that it was impossible and restored the original timeline.
When the Legends were hunted by the Time Bureau, lead by Hank Heywood, Zari who pretended to be the Bureau's side, secretly shut down Gideon as to not give Heywood access to her in his pursuit of the Legends.
During the Anti-Monitor Crisis, Gideon as well as everyone in the multiverse except for the seven Paragons, was destroyed in an antimatter wave by the Anti-Monitor on December 10, 2019, only to be restored a month later, after the Paragons and the Spectre created a new universe.
A new Earth
In Clotho's attempt to use the Loom of Fate without her sisters, an explosion occurs that disables the Waverider; Gideon is still active however and tells the Legends that they are trapped onboard the ship because it is running on auxiliary power. Gideon apologizes often as the ship gets repaired because the Legends cannot use various facilities, such as the food replicator for Mick to have snack for Lita, the medical resources for Ava to understand Sara's blindness, or the security cameras for Zari to research the disappearance of the Loom. Later, after the ship is fixed, Gideon can give no explanation as to why Sara is blind.
- "And Atropos, thank you for shutting off that aggravating talking computer. She thought she was so witty."
When the Fates commandeered the Waverider, Atropos deactivated Gideon; the A.I. screamed for help to Gary Green as it went silent. He tried to fix the ship but was severely electrocuted, causing him to hallucinate that Gary Jr. II was Gideon in human form. Gary thought he was working with Gideon to hide the rings of the Loom of Fate, even hoping to become her partner in adventure, but he quickly learned his err when captured by the women.
During Loomworld, Gideon was not aboard the Waverider, so the Legends used the skills of Ava Sharpe and Zari Tomaz to activate the time vessel after it was found in a garbage dump. Months passed before the Legends found the A.I.; during that time, Lachesis used Gideon to create the Fatewatch and had Gideon become the new Loom under her direct command. Every person had a Fatewatch, Gideon controlled the object, and Lachesis controlled Gideon. Zari and her alternate self Zari Tarazi, as hackers, were assigned the job to free Gideon; Tarazi, in an act of simplicity, unplugged the A.I., ultimately causing the end of Loomworld and the return of free will. Soon after, Behrad Tarazi re-installed Gideon to the Waverider.
Gideon did its usual job as the Legends searched for Sara Lance, including analyzing new recruit Esperanza Cruz medically for alien implants, or as the Legends sought any aliens that might know of her whereabouts, such as Lord Knoxicrillion. Gideon was removed from the Waverider by Ava, when Mick Rory made a deal with Kayla that Kayla could use the Waverider to get her own back. At John Constantine's house, Ava installed Gideon into an old television Constantine had.
Back to the Waverider
After the Waverider was destroyed, Spooner and Astra began burying the remnants of the ship. The two talked about Astra's worthiness to replace John on the team, when Astra wished that Gideon was there to make her a nice steak. Unknowingly, Astra used her magic to bring a human version of Gideon to life.
Gideon is kind, caring, polite, well-mannered and respectful, although she generally follows the orders of the other Legends without hesitation, her loyalty is only to Rip Hunter, her former captain, even when he was under the influence of the Legion of Doom; despite the fact that Sara Lance and the other Legends told her not to follow his orders, Gideon still obeyed him.
It appears that Gideon has a sense of humor, despite being an AI; this is seen on many different occasions. Zari Tomaz has called Gideon an evil genius for being so intelligent and deceptive. Gideon is also sentimental as seen when Ray leaving, she shown sadness and cried as many members of the Legends have left respectively.
List of programs/override codes
- Timescatter: The Timescatter is a last-ditch option Rip Hunter designed. When activated, it teleports everyone on The Waverider to a different random point in time.
- Lockdown mode: Shuts the Waverider down, closing all exits.
- Auto-pilot: Gideon can take control and pilot the Waverider on her own as ordered to by Sara.
- Auto-repair: This program was enacted by Captain Hunter after the Waverider was hit an atomic missile, which critically damaged the ship and required 15 years to be fully repaired.
- Gentleman's dreadnought: Locks all exits to the Waverider preventing any passengers from leaving.
- Spectrum protocol: Starts a countdown for the self-destruction of the Waverider.
- Imperiex Onslaught: A code phrase that makes the Waverider automatically shoot nearby targets/spaceships.
- Kanjar Ro: A code phrase that makes a holographic projection on the enemy ship's radar.
- Nostromo sequence: This program seals the Waverider off from the outside world and locks all the doors within the ship.
- Narc mode: Tracks the crew when they leave the Waverider.
- Encrypted security protocols: Gideon uses these to manage the locks on the Waverider.
- Shogun ballistic: Shut down code for Gideon's primary systems.
- Spaniel broad tricycle: Override code, forcing Gideon to listen to Rip or anyone else who says it.
- Alpha drives: Zari mentioned that she had to reinitialize Gideon's alpha drives as part of her lie in "".
- Self-learning neuromorphic Cortex: Formerly called the neuromorphic interface before being replaced with a prototype Palmer Technologies developed, after the original suffers damage, is a key component for Gideon's logic and navigation matrix. Without it, Gideon cannot function.
- Neural-core: In "" Ray states that Gideon's neural-core is completely fried by Zari's actions.
- Temporal navigation system: This system allows Gideon to navigate through the temporal zone. If rebooted, it forces Gideon to choose the oldest destination in her logs which is the cretaceous period.
- CPU: When working with the Longinus medallion, Lily Stein worries about overloading Gideon's CPU.
- Neural monitor: Gideon is capable of monitoring the dreams of anyone who sleeps in the Waverider, presumably by an extremely advanced neuro-monitor she was also able to use it to upload Zari's subconscious into her systems. This allowed Gideon to run Zari through her simulator program.
- Time drive: The component the enables the Waverider to travel through time via the temporal zone.
- Main generator: When the Waverider was trapped under an avalanche, Sara orders Gideon to shut down the main generator to conserve energy.
- Bosonic hyper fluid: As Zari calls it "time sludge" that she was sprayed with is Bosonic hyper-fluid - a highly volatile substance which helps power the ship through time. Gideon informs her she's quite lucky to be alive after being exposed to it.
- Solar collection array: while Rip Hunter was approaching the sun in the Waverider, he was informed by Gideon that the solar array is operating at an efficiency of 12,000%. which gives them enough power to make one emergency jump back to just after they left Earth to fly into the sun.
- Knowledge of the timeline: Gideon has a vast knowledge of the timeline through her temporal database and her former regular software updates through the vanishing point central computer, She has knowledge on virtually every past and future event, Person and their impact to the timeline and as such accurately predict future changes to the timeline should the Legends interfere with it.
- Medical knowledge: Gideon is shown to scan and diagnose patients and then administer treatments to crew members and passengers in the medical bay. She has even regenerated limbs as shown when she regenerated Leonard Snart's hand in a process similar to fabrication, she has guided Martin Stein in a brain surgery on Mick Rory.
- Auto-pilot: Gideon can take control and pilot the Waverider on her own as ordered to by Sara.
- Artificial intelligence: Gideon has the ability to make moves and think herself for making commands and thinking as much as a human. Gideon also had the ability to control over the Waverider, perhaps because she had overall access to it.
- Artificial telepathy: Gideon is capable of monitoring the dreams of anyone who sleeps in the Waverider, presumably by an extremely advanced neuro-monitor she was also able to use it to upload Zari's subconscious into her systems. This allowed Gideon to run Zari through her simulator program.
- Temporal monitoring: Gideon is able to scan and pinpoint inaccuracies in the timeline as well as detect aberrations, anachronisms and encores as shown when asked to by Ava and Sara and mentioned by Behrad that she tracks the timeline to Zari.
- Emotions: Gideon appears to have emotions as shown with her relationships with the Legends and Rip Hunter, Her original dislike for Ava going so far to call her a "bitch" and her sadness and tears with Ray's departure.
- Electricity requirement: Gideon requires electric power to operate, when the ship's power is down, such as when a mind-altered Rip triggered an electromagnetic pulse on the Waverider, Gideon is unable to operate. Gideon can only be reactivated by an external agent.
- Override code: Rip programmed Gideon with several override codes; which will force her to perform certain actions.
- Patient's blood loss: Despite the Waverider's twenty-second-century medical technology, Gideon was unable to save Martin Stein after he was shot by Earth-X Nazis, since by the time Jax managed to get him to the ship's med-bay, Martin had already lost too much blood.
- Severe timeline alterations: Although Gideon is generally unaffected by and is able to detect timeline alterations, severe alterations, especially ones that have a lot to do with her own personal experience, can still affect her. Occasionally, severe alterations may not affect her completely, resulting in both timelines existing her system simultaneously, which can make her malfunction severely until all data regarding the old timeline is erased from her system.
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
- Though unconfirmed if it's the same one, this Gideon highly resembles the Gideon used by Eobard Thawne (which was created by Barry Allen in a potential future).
- It appears that Gideon knows that Rip has romantic feelings for her, as shown when Sara and Jax entered Rip's subconscious.
- Gideon sounds slightly different in her human form, likely because her voice is not projecting from speakers or it's not as digitized.
- According to Ava, Gideon makes amazing French toast.
- Gideon is capable of crying, as she did while saying goodbye to Ray Palmer.
- Gideon is capable of generating a low-end EMP capable of wiping all of The Pentagon's magnetic media, including security footage.
- Gideon is a quantum-enhanced, artificial-intelligence capable of complete autonomous operation.
- Zari gave Gideon a digital face-lift, allowing her to project a three-dimensional hologram of a bald woman's head to represent herself.
- Gideon once uploaded herself into the latency core of The Waverider to avoid being wiped out by The Time Masters.
- Gideon was formerly capable of establishing an up-link with the omnimatrix mainframe of The Time Masters, she used this so that Rip and Ray can remotely disable their tractor beam.
- Ava has created a new program for Gideon called the Prognosticator which can pinpoint Encores before they can change the timeline. It detected a mysterious gangsters stealing drugs from the Hong Kong triads in 1997, just before the city was to be returned to the Chinese government by the British.
- Gideon is able to tune the magic-o-meter on the Waverider to John's specific magical frequency. It will enable Gideon to find him as soon as he casts a spell, no matter where or when he is.
- Gideon can stimulate hair follicles to make hair grow overnight.
- Zari Tarazi's nickname for her is "Gidget".
- Gideon apparently replicates cannabis for Behrad, with him suggesting her "blueberry kush" to Spooner.
- Gideon is ticklish.
Behind the scenes
- Gideon's telepathy may be a reference to Arthur Darvill's time on Doctor Who. The time ship on Doctor Who, known as the TARDIS, was telepathic. Rip also had similar feelings towards the Waverider and Gideon that the Doctor has towards his TARDIS.
- In "", Gideon is shown in a fully human form interacting with Sara and Ava as one of the 'Sirens of Space-Time' under the name "Hard Drive"; how this is possible is not explicitly stated, but the likely explanation is that this Gideon created an android avatar that could be controlled separately from the Waverider, similar to the relationship between Rommie and the Andromeda A.I. in Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda.
|Other versions of Gideon (Waverider)|
|To see other versions of this artificial intelligence, click the Earth name below for that Earth's counterpart of Gideon.|
|Earth: Time Vault • Waverider|