God, also known as the Lord or the Creator, is a deity, the ruler of Heaven and the embodiment of all that is holy, pure, good and righteous. He is worshiped as the supreme deity in Judeo-Christian religions, such as the Catholic Church, the First Assembly of God or the Puritans.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Personality
- 3 Powers and abilities
- 4 Appearances
- 4.1 Arrow
- 4.2 The Flash
- 4.3 Constantine
- 4.4 Supergirl
- 4.5 DC's Legends of Tomorrow
- 4.6 Black Lightning
- 4.7 Batwoman
- 4.8 The Chronicles of Cisco
- 5 Behind the scenes
- 6 References
Creations and rebels
God is the supreme being who created the universe as well as having created all forms of magic, a supernatural power that manipulates primordial energies to achieve incredible feats. God has always existed and has no beginning or end. He also created archangels, millions of angels and humans. At some point, an archangel, Satan, rebelled against God for unknown reasons, forcing God to banish him from Heaven to Hell; the archangel then became known as the First of the Fallen or the Devil. Satan's rebellion encouraged other beings who wished to become god-like in their own right, such as Lamashtu, Lilith and Pazuzu, who chose eternity as dark demon gods of Hell over a lifetime as humans. At some point, God sent the Great Flood to destroy the sinful humans, but John Constantine implied that God did this to also strike down the La Brujeria, a group of chille warlocks known to wield magic that hasn't been seen since He turned on the lights, likely because God saw the Brujeria's magic as being too dangerous, and he is known to have evacuated humans who do not have sins firsthand. God also had a son, Jesus Christ, who acted as His avatar on Earth, and whose birth, death, and life were moments extremely important to the integrity of the timeline, thus closed for time travelers to intervene with.
Currently, God is worshiped by many beings and religious organizations, such as the Catholic Church and the First Assembly of God, and His name is even commonly invoked in statements of surprise and disbelief in universes such as Earth-1, Earth-2, and Earth-38. He is also the source of light magic, answering prayers and giving divine power to invocations. For example, when Anne Marie Flynn invoked God's power to protect John Constantine from Pazuzu's possession, God spread His protection upon John, allowing Anne Marie to banish Pazuzu to Hell in God's name. Additionally, even though Oliver Queen had committed many sins of murder, it was later shown that his problems using it was just because of his struggle to overpower his darkness, not because of God not giving him the divine power needed to repel Darhk's dark magic, as once he overcame his darkness, Oliver could make use of light magic just fine against Darhk, ultimately culminating in him besting Darhk.
God is known by many for being a benevolent being who is firm and just in his rule over the universe (it is unknown how many universes) yet merciful in passing down judgment. His creation of the Great Flood to destroy sinful humans and likely to additionally strike down La Brujeria is usually perceived as benevolent, as he only unleashed his wrath upon those who had committed sins and spared those who were innocent. He is perceived to be very forgiving, as he is known to be willing to protect even individuals who have sinned, as proven when God had no qualms forgiving and protecting John Constantine, a sorcerer with questionable morals by God's rules and the sin of damning an innocent girl to Hell, when Anne Marie prayed for him to forgive and protect John.
God is also perceived to be wise and eminently fair, as he rewards humans who abide to his rules of morality and have faith in him, and individuals willing to repent before Him or with intentions that align to God's morals even if they are not committed to serving him. Indeed, God would not only empower innocent nuns and also nuns who have formerly sinned and desire to gain redemption, such as Anne Marie Flynn, but it has been seen that God would grant the power of light magic even to those who had killed and tortured others, but did so for the sake of good; such as Oliver Queen.
Powers and abilities
- Deity physiology: God is a deity and as such is likely immortal and has a great amount of supernatural power. His power surpasses that of all supernatural beings since it is thought that he is the oldest being in the Multiverse.
- Omnipotence: As the supreme being and the ruler of Heaven, God possesses absolute power and control over everything, and can achieve anything conceivable. Holding omnipotent levels of supernatural power, God is easily unrivaled by anything and anyone and he is far more powerful than any archangel, angel and demon or any other being for that matter; God's power also unimaginably surpasses that of Satan, as the First of the Fallen did not dare fight God directly while furious of being banished. Presumably, there is no celestial being or deity that rivals or surpasses his power.
- Creation: God is so powerful that he was able to create archangels, billions of angels and the entire human species.
- Magic: As magic is the manipulation of primordial energies, God is the original creator of all magic. As such, God has supreme magical powers far greater than any sorcerer, angel, or demon, and can achieve any magical feat possible.
- Dark magic: Although normally associated with dark mages, demons and Satan, it was actually God who originally created dark magic, as all magic is the manipulation of primordial energies. His magical power appears to hold a unique but extremely powerful connection to dark magic spells to the point of being able to dispel even Satan's power, as John Constantine was able to use a spell that contained a prayer to God and Jesus Christ to drew on the disk's own dark magic when banishing the Devil's acetate.
- Light magic: While God is the primordial creator of all forms of magic as all forms of magic are manipulation of primordial energies, light magic is God's prominent magic due to its holy and divine nature. As such, God is the source of power between all light magic spells, with all the incantations to perform the spells of light magic using his name, and his light magic is the strongest due to it being his prominent magic, far exceeding the power of all light sorcerers. God is able to increase the strength of his followers who uses light magic should they channel a sufficiently strong amount of faith as evidenced when he gave Anne Marie Flynn the power to exorcise a demon as powerful as Pazuzu, and can also bestow protection upon other humans should said light magic practitioner pray to him to ask for his aid to do so, protecting John Constantine from Pazuzu under the behest of Anne Marie Flynn.
- Interdimensional travel: God is able to travel from Heaven to Earth; seemingly in no time at all.
- Immortality: Due to God being a deity and likely the supreme being, he is beyond age, illness and all forms of physical harm. He is beyond the concepts of time, life and death, since he originally created them. God transcends concepts like immortality, life or death.
- Omniscience: God is all-knowing and all-seeing and thus he is able to hear and respond to prayers sent by humans.
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
The Chronicles of Cisco
Behind the scenes
- Historically, God is considered to be the Supreme Being and the principal object of faith in monotheistic thought.
- In DC Comics, there have been several interpretations of God, with the main one in the current continuity sometimes known as The Presence.