- "Believe me. It took much more than seeing Oliver do the salmon ladder for me to trust him. I've seen firsthand what this life can do to people. It's a lonely path. Don't make it any lonelier than it has to be."
- —Felicity Smoak's advice to Barry Allen
"Going Rogue" is the fourth episode of the first season of , and the fourth episode overall. It aired on October 28, 2014.
|The Streak stops a robbery but the culprits get away after shooting a guard, and The Flash chooses to save the man instead of following the criminals. With the help of Joe, Barry identifies Leonard Snart as the leader of the group. While investigating the case, Barry gets a surprise visit from an old friend - Felicity Smoak, who heard about his new abilities and came to check them out for herself. Dr. Wells is furious when he finds out that Cisco built the cold gun without telling anyone and now it's missing. Meanwhile, Iris is getting the silent treatment from Joe because of her relationship with Eddie. Finally, The Streak and Captain Cold have an epic confrontation.|
- Grant Gustin as Barry Allen/The Streak
- Candice Patton as Iris West
- Danielle Panabaker as Dr. Caitlin Snow
- Rick Cosnett as Detective Eddie Thawne
- Carlos Valdes as Cisco Ramon
- Tom Cavanagh as Dr. Harrison Wells
- Jesse L. Martin as Detective Joe West
Special guest star
- Reese Alexander as Museum Guard
- Paul Belsito as Thug #2
- Bruce Harwood as Dexter Myles
- Sarah Hayward as Tour Guide
- Robert Mann as Basil Nurblin
- Chris Rosamond as Thug #1
- Jesse Reid as Oswald Loomis
- Hugo Steele as Security Guard #1
- Lucas Wolf as Thug #3
Harrison Wells tests Barry's ability to multitask by making him play a game of Operation with Caitlin, a game of table tennis with Cisco, and a game of chess with him. Barry easily defeats Caitlin and Cisco, though he makes a bad chess move which causes him to lose against Dr. Wells.
Meanwhile, Leonard Snart and his crew attack a Blackhawk Squad Protection Group truck in attempt to steal the Kahndaq Dynasty diamond, though Barry quickly responds to the scenario, taking down Snart's crew and managing to unmask Snart himself. One of Snart's men loses his cool and shoots a guard, but Barry quickly responds and takes the guard to St. Andrews Hospital. Snart and his crew take the opportunity to escape, but without the diamond. Barry quickly returns to the scene in his civilian clothing and gives Captain Singh his "insight" on what had occurred, stating there were four men who attacked, rather than three, to which Singh sarcastically thanks Barry for. Joe realizes that Barry was at the scene earlier and asks if he saw anything that could help to which Barry says he saw the face of one of the men. At the precinct, Barry quickly identifies him as Leonard Snart and Joe notes his father was a dirty cop.
Iris arrives at the precinct with coffee though Joe declines the coffee. Iris tells Barry about the blog she began, documenting sightings of "The Streak". Barry tries to talk Iris out of it, saying it would only bring out crazies and internet trolls. Iris and Barry are then greeted by Felicity Smoak, who has heard of Barry's re-emergence from his coma and decided to pay him a visit.
Meanwhile, Snart reveals to his men that he calculated the time it took the police to arrive. He then blames one of his men for losing his cool, after which the man quits and Snart kills him. To those remaining, he declares that he needs to identify the "Blur's" weakness.
Barry and Felicity have time to catch up, during which Felicity comes to the conclusion Barry was dating Iris, which Barry quickly denies. Felicity tells Barry she discovered about Barry's powers after overhearing his conversation with Oliver during "Pilot". Barry then demonstrates his speed for Felicity by running to the roof of an apartment building and taking a picture of Felicity and running back in just a matter of seconds. Barry decides to introduce her to his team at S.T.A.R. Labs, though Felicity has already met Cisco and Caitlin. At first, Caitlin is worried that Felicity will fail to keep Barry's identity a secret, but Barry reassures her by telling the team she works with The Arrow, to which Cisco says everything that happened while in Starling City makes sense now. Felicity is happily greeted by Harrison Wells, who is aware of her accolades and skillset. The team demonstrates how they train and monitor Barry. Felicity begins to question the things that they know about Barry, but Dr. Wells tells her that they are taking care of him.
Eddie and Joe discuss Iris, to which Joe says he doesn't care about Eddie's personal life, stating they are strictly work partners and not friends. Barry and Felicity visit Iris at Jitters, where Iris invites them to join her and Eddie for a double date at Trivia Night, despite Barry and Felicity denying any romantic connection between the two of them.
At S.T.A.R. Labs, a janitor brings Snart both a high powered flamethrower and a gun that freezes its targets. Snart takes the weapons and kills the janitor, ensuring that only he knows of the their existence.
At Trivia Night, Felicity arrives in a dress, not realizing that it was a casual event. Meanwhile, Snart takes the tour of the Central City Museum twice in planning to steal the Kahndaq Dynasty diamond, one of the museum's most prized artifacts. Dexter Myles, the curator of the museum, is quickly suspicious of him and contacts Joe, who gathers a force of officers to apprehend Snart.
Back at Trivia Night, Felicity and Barry correctly answer a trivia question for their team. Iris asks Felicity if she has a boyfriend, to which Felicity hesitantly answers no. While Felicity and Eddie take a bathroom break, Iris tries to convince Barry that Felicity is interested in him, citing the way she had dressed and the similarities between her intelligence and Barry's.
At S.T.A.R. Labs, Cisco realizes that the cold gun has been stolen and alerts Dr. Wells, who is furious at Cisco for creating a weapon, which Wells doesn't want developed in S.T.A.R. Labs.
Back at the museum, Snart evades Joe's police force and escapes to a nearby theater. Barry rushes to the scene, leaving Felicity to cover for him with Iris and Eddie. Just as Barry arrives, Snart fires the cold gun at Joe. Barry jumps in front of the beam and pushes Joe out of the way, taking the shot himself. Snart begins shooting the cold gun at innocent civilians to test Barry's speed, and Barry is devastated when he fails to save a security guard.
Upon returning to S.T.A.R. Labs, Barry learns that the shot from the cold gun had given him third-degree frostbite and that if his cells didn't regenerate the speed they were at, he would've died. Barry notes that Snart wasn't a meta-human but learns that Cisco built the weapon Snart used, which was originally intended to be used on Barry himself. Cisco claims that he made the gun before he got to know Barry, fearing Barry could lose control and go psycho like many other meta-humans. Caitlin backs Cisco up, stating he was only taking precautions, but Barry is still angry, mainly because Cisco never told Barry about the gun, which left him totally unprepared and vulnerable.
At Joe's home, Joe tells Iris that the only reason he doesn't want the two be in a relationship is that he fears he'd lose his focus and see Eddie as Iris' lover, rather than his partner. Joe also reveals the fear that she would look at him differently if anything happened to Eddie, because of the work they do, and that he would feel responsible.
Snart reveals to his men that he has discovered Barry's real weakness - the cold gun - but his men turn on him and leave, all the while holding him at gunpoint in case he killed them.
At S.T.A.R. Labs, Felicity and Barry discuss Barry's anger towards Cisco regarding the cold gun. Felicity asks Barry to be patient, stating that her own team had a rocky start as well but that their relationship got better with time.
Back at the museum, Snart breaks in and chases off a security guard, stealing the Kahndaq Dynasty Diamond and escaping in the process.
Meanwhile, Cisco discovers a way to track the cold gun using the city's network; by sending a false update, he would be able to get a signal from the gun in return. Once Felicity hacks into the city's network and a location is determined, Barry quickly suits up, though he disables his communications, stating that he doesn't feel like talking.
The team tracks Snart to the train station, where Joe orders Eddie to stay behind and wait for backup. Back at S.T.A.R. Labs, Felicity convinces Cisco and Caitlin to go and help Barry despite what he said, stating that she had had such experiences with Oliver before. At the train station, Joe is cornered by Snart but is saved by Eddie, who states that he was Joe's partner and "not [his] assistant." In the midst of the chaos, Snart manages to board one of the trains. When Barry arrives on the same train, Snart reveals that his intention wasn't to escape on the train but to derail it, knowing Barry would be distracted by trying to save everyone. After Barry manages to get all the passengers off the train, Snart lands a hit with the cold gun and moves in for the kill. To Barry's relief, Cisco, Caitlin, and Felicity soon arrive with the S.T.A.R. Labs vacuum cleaner disguised as a prototype of the cold gun, claiming that it was "four times the size, four times the power." The ruse works, and they manage to make Snart surrender, though he gets away with the diamond.
Back at S.T.A.R. Labs, Felicity says her goodbyes and leaves to return to Starling City, stating that she needs to return to her team. After she leaves, Dr. Wells pulls Cisco aside and tells him to never create anything like the cold gun ever again.
At the precinct, Joe finally begins to accept that Eddie and Iris are dating and supports their relationship.
Meanwhile, Barry chases down the train Felicity is on and the two discuss relationships. Felicity reveals that though they seem perfect for each other, she is aware of his feelings for Iris, and Barry, in return, assures her that he is also aware of her feelings for Oliver. Barry promises Felicity that if she ever needs his help, he will be there in a heartbeat, and Felicity promises him the same. Barry and Felicity then share a kiss before Barry runs off into the night.
In the final scene, Snart is seen meeting an old accomplice named Mick Rory, with whom he has done many previous jobs. Leonard states that he needs Mick's expertise and "certain skills", presenting him with a gun that appears to be similar to his own cold gun, except fire-based. Mick gladly accepts the offer.
- This episode's events take place during "", prior to Felicity's return towards the end of the episode.
- This is the first episode of not to have a flashback story line.
- Felicity's question about Barry running too fast and turning into dust is a reference to his death in Crisis on Infinite Earths.
- The Kahndaq Dynasty Diamond is a reference to Kahndaq, a country in the DC universe best known for being the home of Black Adam, an enemy of Captain Marvel.
- This is the first episode of where the villain is not a meta-human.
- The concept of precautions being taken in case a hero goes rogue for whatever reason is a common trope in comics. A notable figure who does this is Batman, who in the Tower of Babel storyline had his plans stolen and used on the Justice League.
- When Barry catches up to Felicity on the train he tells her that "Taking the train is still one of the safest ways to travel." She replies, "I thought that was airplanes." This is a reference to a quote said by Superman in both the 1978 Superman and 2006 Superman Returns movies. In both instances, the hero saves a plane from crashing while, in parallel, Barry saves train passengers.
- This episode begins a tradition that episodes featuring Captain Cold in a prominent role have the word "rogue" in the title. This is a reference to the comics where he was a part of a team calling themselves "Rogues".
- When Joe reads out Leonard Snart's name from the mugshot book, Barry says, "Leonard? That's almost as bad as Bartholomew." Bartholomew in the comics is Barry's full first name.
- This would be confirmed for Barry in Season 2's "".
- One of Snart's cohorts refers to Barry as "the Blur". This is possibly a nod to one of the longest-running comic books which inspired the TV show Smallville.
- When Eddie and Joe are in the car together, "Let's Get It On" by Marvin Gaye plays on the radio as Eddie flips through the stations. In 2006, Jesse L. Martin was originally set to play Marvin Gaye in the biopic Sexual Healing before it was canned.
- At one point, Joe mentions that Snart "showed up every six months". It turns out that Captain Cold appears in every sixth episode in season 1 (aside from a small cameo in the finale ("")).
- When Dr. Wells discovers the missing weapon, Cisco tells him that a janitor missed work. This is a reference to Parasite, a villain from the comics who was a janitor at S.T.A.R. Labs until he became exposed to toxic waste, which transformed and drove him insane.
- On the bottom of the newspaper in the Time Vault, it shows that Wayne Tech and Queen Inc. have successfully merged companies, similar to Batman Beyond when Wayne Enterprises and Powers Technology merged, forming Wayne-Powers.
- There are a couple of references to The New 52 storyline in this episode:
- When Leonard Snart and his crew are after the truck containing the Khandaq Dynasty diamond, the label on the back of the truck says "52".
- When the tour guide tells the story of how the city was laid, she explains that it wasn't "until in 1852", the transcontinental railroads laid their tracks and they became incorporated.
- The storage area where the cold gun was kept is named "Storage Unit 52" followed by various other sections labeled alongside with 1, 2 and 3.
- When Leonard's accomplice wants "out", he is shot. The gunshot sound is from a gun with a silencer but the gun is shown without a silencer attached.
- Barry says that E=mc2 is Einstein's formula for kinetic energy. This is incorrect as it is the formula of mass energy equivalence.
- During the trivia competition, Felicity and Barry identify portrait #3 as that of "Erdel". The portrait is clearly that of Nikola Tesla.
- When Dr. Wells, Cisco, and Caitlin discover the Cold gun has been stolen, the door has a typo in the label reading "Restricted Access".
|"" • "" • "" • " " • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • ""|