- "This is why nobody talks about Gotham, okay? City might as well be dead."
- —Oliver Queen to Barry Allen and Kara Danvers[src]
Gotham City, simply known as Gotham, is a major city in the United States. It is home to several important businesses and corporations, such as Wayne Enterprises. Gotham is mentioned to have a population of 1.6 million people. However, as only the one-percenters bring the good part of city to them, Gotham is notorious for its hostile nature. Crime, corruption, and poverty are widespread to the point that Gotham is considered as a sort of "ghost city" that nobody ever talks about.
- Wayne Enterprises: After Bruce Wayne left Gotham, his board of directors were presumably scammed by get-rich-quick deals, causing the company to go bankrupt. Bruce Wayne's cousin, Kate Kane, saw this opportunity to develop the building into a real estate development firm. Its known subsidiaries are Wayne Tech and Wayne Security which are both still running.
- GC Jitters: Similar to CC Jitters, it is a coffee shop located in Gotham City.
- Marley Coffee: Having portable stalls roam around populous areas of the city, Marley Coffee sells various coffee beverages.
Gotham City is widely notorious as a breeding ground of crime, especially when Batman mysteriously disappeared in around 2015. According to Kate Kane, Batman's absence made the residents of Gotham go to "five different kinds of Hell", and implied that crime was at an all-time high than it had ever been before. This was evident when in 2018, a criminal who goes by Alice, along with her gang, terrorized Gotham, all to satiate her personal vendetta against the Crows Security's head, Jacob Kane.
Another incident in December 2018 included five men claiming to be from the Gotham Tourism Bureau as they tried to mug Oliver Queen, Barry Allen, and Kara Danvers. The heinous nature of the city is a result of the rampant poverty, akin to an endemic disease, that affects almost all of Gotham's citizens, doing whatever they need to do in order to survive.
Gotham is known to have registered the first case of vigilantism ever in the figure of Batman, a brutal individual who dressed like a bat, fought against evil, and struck terror into the hearts of criminals everywhere. However, Batman's very existence has always sparked debate, with many arguing that he was nothing but an an urban legend created by the Gotham City Police Department to instill fear in criminals, while other dismissed him as being simply a "myth". Another apparently well known vigilante was Batman's young protege "Robin".
The mysterious Batman, however, disappeared sometime around 2015 and, three years after that, the equally-mysterious Batwoman has taken his place. She alone takes on crime, and more so especially since Batman left, as his absence brought out the worst criminals in the city.
- Gotham Art Museum: The Gotham Art Museum contains historical pieces of art. It is where the official Bat-Signal is located and kept.
- Bat-Signal: In the past, Gothamites would turn on the Bat-Signal as a distress signal for Batman whenever somebody needed help, although in 2018, the city government decided that it was best they ultimately switch off the signal to signify the permanence of Batman's absence. Some citizens protested against this, as even though the vigilante is nowhere within the city, the searchlight continues to instill fear in criminals yet hope for its ordinary and desperate citizens.
- Movie in the Park: As of 2018, the Gotham City government, in partnership with Crows Security, reinstated the Gotham City: Movie in the Park event at Robinson Park, intended to display the city's residents' resilience from giving into the fear of local crime.
- Museum of Antiquities: The museum contains artifacts of Gotham's past. A new exhibit was opened in 2018.
- Gotham University: Presumably a prestigious university in Gotham, as it is where Mary Hamilton is currently taking up nursing.
- Point Rock Academy: It is a strict military academy located in Gotham, where some of its students study to get employed at Crows Security.
- Arkham Asylum: A psychiatric asylum "for the criminally insane", Arkham Asylum is where criminals suffering from mental illnesses are incarcerated, presumably because most of the patients are considered to be very dangerous. Some patients admitted to the asylum are presumably meta-humans; Caitlin Snow showed her cryogenic powers to a nurse, who then stated that there are others with cases similar to hers.
- Gotham Inquisitor: Founded in 1943 or earlier, the Gotham Inquisitor is a newspaper publisher in Gotham.
- Gotham City Networking, Inc.: As a news media company, Gotham City Networking, Inc. publishes newspapers and other media.
- Crows Security: With Batman's departure from Gotham, the Crows took over as the protectors of Gotham City, albeit only for the most prestigious of civilians.
Bruce Wayne, who was secretly the vigilante Batman, lived in Gotham until 2015. Before he left, crime and corruption were way down and Gotham was a very peaceful city. Since Batman's absence though, the city was rarely visited by anyone due to high crime rates and corruption.
At some point, Crows Security became the new protectors of Gotham albeit only available for prestigious individuals.
In 2018, the Bat-Signal was finally shut off to signify the permanence of Batman's absence, but was interrupted as a new villain who goes by the name Alice, as in Alice in Wonderland, introduced herself and waged war against the Crows. Due to Batman's absence, Kate Kane was forced to uphold his cousin Batman's legacy and eventually became the new vigilante of Gotham City known as Batwoman.
- O. Cobblepot
- P. Isley
- B. Karlo
- E. Nigma
- M. Guggenheim
- Roger Hayden
- S. Kyle
- J. Crane
- Victor Fries
- John Deegan
- Gabi Kane (deceased)
- Thomas Wayne (deceased)
- Martha Wayne (deceased)
- Bruce Wayne (left; location unknown)
- Talia al Ghul
- Mar Novu (from an unknown dimension)
- Oliver Queen
- Kara Danvers (from Earth-38)
- Barry Allen
- John Diggle
- Caitlin Snow
- Cisco Ramon
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
- Gotham's citizens refer to themselves as Gothamites.
Behind the scenes
- In DC comics, Gotham City is better known as the home of the hero Batman. Gotham City is located in the Northeastern United States, in close proximity to Metropolis, with the majority of DC comics references placing Gotham City specifically in New Jersey.
- The filming of Gotham in takes place in Chicago.
- This was also the same location for Gotham City where Batman Begins and The Dark Knight was filmed.
|Other versions of Gotham City (Earth-1)|
|To see other versions of this location, click the Earth name below for that Earth's counterpart of Gotham City.|
|Earth: 1 • 38|