- "I am no longer Nash, I am... Pariah. And I'm here to bear witness."
- —Pariah and Vibe[src]
Dr. Harrison Nash Wells was a geologist and a myth-buster, and a version of Harrison Wells from an unknown Earth. Nash was in pursuit of Mar Novu because he believed the god-like being's words of the upcoming crisis were false tales intended to spread fear and Nash intended to stop the Monitor's so-called reign of terror. He tracked the Monitor to Earth-1 where he finally found the hidden gateway to The Monitor's realm and initially came into conflict with Team Flash. Unbeknownst to him, the Anti-Monitor tricked him and he unintentionally freed the Anti-Monitor and was cursed to become Pariah, forced to witness the crisis.
At some point before 2019, Nash began to travel the multiverse with the objective of finding and killing a being called Mar Novu, also known as The Monitor, believing his warnings of a coming crisis were nothing but false tales intended to spread fear. During his travels, he either learned about or met the Council of Wells. However, he considered them to be idiots.
Tracking the Monitor
Arriving on Earth-1
In 2019, Nash traveled to Earth-1 in search of eternium. He broke into McCulloch Technologies in search of it and was caught on security cameras. He couldn't find any so he left empty-handed. The following day, Nash continued to track the eternium, when he was ambushed by Cisco Ramon and Iris West-Allen. He zipped lined down from where he was and pinned Cisco to the wall when he tried to introduce himself. Nash demanded to know why they were following him and pulled out a ruby that gives its victims nightmares and suggested this was the reason. Upon detecting eternium around Iris, he approached her. She promptly tasered him, and they took him back to The Central City Citizen office.
Nash eventually awoke from the couch he was laying on, as Cisco and Iris went through his stuff. The two tried doing a do-over introduction, explaining they were friends of the Council of Wells; Nash was not impressed. He then used his sensor on Iris, telling her he let her tase him, but found little eternium on her. Nash explained that he was searching for eternium particles, which he had picked up on Iris, but realized they were stronger in the alley. Cisco sarcastically questioned if "Indiana" had to return the eternium to a certain god, but Nash simply told them there is no such thing as gods, just false ones and deduced that Cisco and Iris were no help so decided to leave.
Cisco attempted to befriend Nash by telling this always happens with them and a new Wells: They get off to a rocky start, especially between him and Cisco, but eventually bond and the Wells embraces his sensitive side. So, Cisco suggested he drop his tough-guy act and skip to the end of their usual dance. Nash rejected this and swiftly deployed a smoke bomb. After their confrontation, he returned to the ally and located some eternium particles in a manhole.
Assisting Team Flash
After placing a bug on Cisco when he first met him, Nash listened in on their conversations and found out that Barry Allen was the Flash and Cisco had advanced intelligence. While Barry and Cisco were talking about saving Ramsey Rosso's life at S.T.A.R Labs, Nash arrived, introducing himself to Barry and revealing he knew he was the Flash because of the bug he put on Cisco. He told them that he could help them save Ramsey if they build him an anti-vibrational crypto-circuit so he could complete his work on Earth-1.
Barry questioned what Nash's work was and he told him it was thermic excavation. Barry and Cisco were wary of Nash, so they decided to talk in private about whether or not to trust him. Nash was still listening in on the bug and informed them that he could hear everything they said. After a brief spat, Barry told Nash they don't trust him, but asked what he was offering in exchange for their assistance. Nash told him he was offering something that will save Ramsey's life.
Nash led them to McCulloch Technologies where he told they had a bio-regenerative serum that was capable of healing organic tissue, no matter the harm. He explained all they had to do was inject it into Ramsey's healthy cells, then those healthy cells would replicate and then replace the unhealthy cells. But, they shouldn't wait until Ramsey's condition worsened, or else it would be useless. Barry and Cisco questioned how McCulloch Technologies develop this, only for Nash to reveal they stole it from the Dominator invasion. While Barry went to disable the security cameras, Cisco questioned if this cure could be used on Antimatter, to which Nash replied that it obviously would.
After Barry returned, the three began their break-in. Nash requested Barry to speed them to the cure, but the former revealed that there were Meta-human dampeners all over the facility. When Barry and Cisco got trapped by the security guards, Nash used a device that made them faint for a while. When they arrived, Barry and Nash went to investigate a noise coming from outside while Cisco hacked the fridge the cure was in. When they returned, the cure was not in the fridge it was supposed to be as Cisco had stolen it and they failed to find it. With the guards closing in on them, Nash used a device to teleport them to S.T.A.R. Labs. Since he still collaborated with Barry and Cisco, Nash demanded that they make him the device he requested.
Upon receiving the device from Cisco, Nash felt it was shoddy workmanship, believing he's seen better on any of the other Earths he's been to. Having enough of Nash's attitude, Cisco grabbed a hold of him, to which Nash requested he never does again, and demanded that Nash leave. Before leaving, he bid farewell to Frost. He returned to the sewers and plugged the crypto-circuit into his tracker and activated it. It projected a hologram of Mar Novu walking to the end of the tunnel before vanishing. Nash smirked, finally finding the entrance to his realm, and began his excavation to the entrance.
Trapped in the sewers
While he was working, he was followed by Joe West. He Nash claimed he let Joe follow him, though the latter didn't believe him. Joe told him that he had been watching Nash closely since Barry told him about Nash. Nash dismissed his detective skills when he called out how he spotted his police vehicle up top, to which Joe was impressed by. Joe then demanded know why he was digging holes underneath Central City, but Nash refused to elaborate and attempted to attack him, only to accidentally trigger his gauntlet in the process and cause a cave-in.
The two quickly recovered and Nash laughed at Joe's attempts to call for assistance when the sewer tunnel they were in was a dead zone long before the wall came down. Nash then tried to get them out of the mess they were in, but Joe assured him that since he as the captain of the Central City Police Department, they'll come looking for him if he didn't show up in a couple of hours. Ignoring Joe, Nash tried shooting their way out, only for the laser to bounce off the rocks and hit a gas line which briefly started a fire. Nash became furious and accused Joe of not telling him that Earth-1's vibrational frequency is calibrated at a molecular level. Nash then deduced that the fire sapped 87% of the oxygen in the room, which only left them with 42 minutes left to breathe.
With no way of escape and their air supply rapidly depleting, Nash eventually concocted a plan to blast their way out, although Joe warned against it, and told him to wait for Team Flash's help instead, causing Nash to become frustrated of Joe's unrealistic optimism and question Joe's firm faith in his allies, causing Joe to tell him a story about how when his ex-wife left him and his daughter, he was broken. When neighbors showed up with cooked food for them, it was at that moment that Joe began to have faith in people. Nash began to consider that advice.
Nash continued to work to blow them out, but Joe highly suggested not to because it could kill them. When Joe suggested waiting again, Nash demanded to know why he had so much faith. This caused Joe to break down and reveal Barry's fate to die in the Anti-Monitor Crisis, as told to Team Flash by the Monitor, and he has to be faithful as to not make Barry's sacrifice be in vain. Nash was left shocked that Team Flash had met the Monitor and tried to reach out to the now mourning Joe to identify whether the being he described truly was Mar Novu. Just as he was about to activate his gauntlet, Ralph Dibny arrived to rescue Joe and Nash.
As the two were looked over by Frost at S.T.A.R. Labs, Ralph asked what Nash was doing down there, though he still refused to explain his intentions and began to leave. However, after Joe insisted they could help him if he just told them, Nash relented and instructed them to meet him at the tunnels the next morning. When Ralph asked why they should do that, Nash claimed he knew how to save Barry's life, much to the surprise of the others.
Working with Allegra Garcia
When the team came to the tunnels the next morning, with Nash having waited there, he told them that what he does is bust myths wide open. Iris, wanting to get to the point, demanded he tells them what he meant by saving Barry from dying. He claimed that the Monitor was a false god who spread fears through the Multiverse and that he intended to stop his reign of terror. To do so, he told the team that he must go through the rocky walls that he stated contained a gateway to Novu's realm.
However, Nash revealed soon after that they had no means of breaching the eternium defenses that the Monitor had placed on the wall as Barry's Intangibility did not work and Ralph using a jackhammer on the wall would only cause the eternium to unleash a catastrophic molecular blast that could wipe out all life on Earth-1. He then revealed that the only way to get through was by illuminating the wall using an artifact that could emit ultraviolet rays to reveal the eternium and identify which sections he couldn't strike.
Later, at The Central City Citizen office, Nash searched for the artifact that he had detected earlier that could emit ultraviolet rays. He met Allegra Garcia who recognizes him as Harrison Wells but he told her that he was Nash Wells. He then realized that the artifact he had detected earlier was Allegra, making him aware that she was a meta-human who could emit ultraviolet rays. Referring to her as Accelerant, Nash made a deal with Allegra in which he would reveal everything about doppelgängers, the multiverse, and potentially the end of all life in exchange that she uses her power to reveal where the eternium was located in the Monitor's wall.
In the sewers, while talking with Allegra about the multiverse and how if the public knew about it, there would mass panic, Nash revealed that Barry Allen was the Flash which surprised Allegra since he is her boss' husband, to which she got annoyed that her boss kept another secret from her. Nash got back on track and talked about killing Novu and ending his so-called reign of terror once and for all. When Allegra refused to use her powers to help Nash kill a person she stormed off and Nash decided not to go after her.
Nash knew she would return as she would get lost without him, so he waited for her to return. When she finally did, he asked why she was so freaked out overusing her powers. However, Nash decided to theorize the reason and deduced she was afraid to use her powers and become someone she hates. Allegra revealed the person to be her cousin Esperanza Garcia, who has the same powers she does, though she kills people with them. Nash encouraged her by telling her that using her powers didn't make her like her cousin. Allegra succeeded and gave Nash enough time to take a picture of where to strike.
Later, at The Central City Citizen office, Nash gave a drink to Allegra who was tired after using her powers. As Nash was preparing to leave to get back to work on the wall to Novu's realm Allegra asked why he was so nice to her. Nash revealed to her that he was nice because she reminded him of someone. She questioned if it was her doppelgänger, to which Nash simply said "something like that." Nash then thanked her for her assistance and proceeded to leave. Before he left, he took a last glimpse at the resting Allegra and smiled at her with warmth in his eyes.
Later on, Nash successfully broke through the eternium wall and prepared to solve the code that would open the gateway to the Monitor's realm, satisfied that his chase of the Monitor through the multiverse had come to an end. While he was standing outside the gateway to the Monitor's realm arguing with the Monitor, Nash was attacked by one of Bloodwork's "Blood Brothers". He managed to use a device that emitted an ultrasound that forced the infected to leave. However, the device stopped working, causing other infected to attack him. Nash was about to be infected when the particle accelerator exploded with ultraviolet rays that turned his attackers back to normal, saving him. He commented that he'd traveled across the multiverse for many years to kill the Monitor, to whom Nash had misattributed the ultraviolet rays which cured the "Blood Brothers" that had been attacking him. Nash heard a voice, telling him to "submit and begin your life anew." He asked the voice to show him, but the voice told him "the knowledge is within you". As the symbols on the gateway glowed, Nash pushed them in a specific order, causing the gateway to open. A glowing light then came out of the gateway and sucked him inside, with the gateway shutting behind him.
The Anti-Monitor's Pawn
Shortly after the Atom, the Flash, Batwoman, Supergirl, Superman, Mia Smoak, and Green Arrow battled to save Earth-38 from a wave of antimatter and Oliver sacrificed himself to save billions of Earth-38 residents, Pariah teleported to the Arrowcave where he witnessed Oliver on the brink of death. After being recognized as Nash by Barry, Pariah explained that he used to be Nash but underwent a transformation to repent for releasing of the Anti-Monitor. After watching Oliver die before the gathered heroes and after the Monitor revealed that Oliver's death was not the ending he foresaw for him, Pariah noted that events were turning out differently than they originally did before proclaiming that everything everyone knew and everything that existed was doomed.
Pariah then reappeared again at the sewers, the place in which he received his new persona and reunited with Team Flash. They asked what happened and he explained that he caused the Crisis to happen by releasing the Anti-Monitor from his confinement. Since Team Flash wanted to enter the Anti-Monitor's lair, Cisco vibed Pariah to revisit his memories before his transformation. After having access to the lair, Pariah disappeared and teleported Jefferson Pierce to Earth-1 before the destruction of his Earth. Pariah then persuaded Jefferson to help with their plan of stopping the antimatter wave by helping the Earth-90 Barry Allen. Pariah was then forced to stand and watch the Barry Allen of Earth 90 sacrifice his life to destroy the treadmill that was the source of the antimatter wave. He then joined Team Flash, Jefferson, and the rest of the heroes on the Waverider. Before the Anti-Monitor destroyed the Waverider through Harbinger, Pariah was able to transport the seven Paragons to the Vanishing Point. He then was killed alongside the rest of the multiverse.
Nash is a very aggressive, argumentative individual always lost in his goal instead of personal relationships, he is also a staunch atheist, believing not in the supernatural, but being more scientifically minded like his Earth-1 doppelgänger and Harry Wells. He also displays a very adventurous persona. Like Harry at first, Nash doesn't seem to have a very high opinion of some of his multiversal counterparts, considering a group comprised of his most intelligent doppelgängers to be idiots.
After releasing the Anti-Monitor from confinement and consequently transforming into Pariah, Nash's personality was completely altered, with his skills in geology replaced by a vast knowledge of the Multiverse, the Anti-Monitor Crisis, and an enhanced knowledge of cosmic beings such as the Monitor.
Powers and abilities
- Cosmic-empowered human physiology: Nash's physiology was altered when the Anti-Monitor gave him cosmic powers.
- Teleportation: After accidentally setting the Anti-Monitor free, Nash transformed into Pariah. He gained the power to teleport. He teleported to Earth-1 where he witnessed Oliver Queen's death after he gave his life to save a billion souls before Earth-38 was destroyed. He also teleported the Paragons to the Vanishing Point.
- Interdimensional travel: Pariah traveled to an unnamed Earth and saved Black Lightning. He then brought Black Lightning to Earth-1 using interdimensional travel during the Anti-Monitor Crisis.
- "This is what I do. I don't just solve mysteries, I bust myths. I bust them wide open."
- —Harrison Nash Wells[src]
- Genius-level intellect/Master tactician/Expert detective: Nash appears to be extremely intelligent, even dismissing the members of the Council of Wells as "idiots," despite their members consisting of some of the brightest minds in all the multiverse. He is also observant enough to easily deduce Iris and Cisco Ramon and then Joe West were following him, which the highly intelligent police officer would praise him for, along with quickly deducing why Allegra did not like using her Meta-human powers. He is also an accomplished tactician with proficiency at contingency plans, planting a bug on Cisco unnoticed in order to anticipate the possibility that he would need his help later on, which allowed him to, later on, ensure his cooperation by leveraging his knowledge of a potential cure to Ramsey Rosso's disease, and being able to quickly create plans to enter and escape from McCulloch Technologies twice despite being noticed. He was also able to easily solve the code that opened the gateway to The Monitor's realm.
- Master scientist: An exceptional scientist, with him stating to have performed many scientific miracles, Nash has shown himself to be familiar with the extremely rare multiversal element called eternium, knowing how to bypass it's defenses, along with being able to quickly deduce the properties of McCulloch Technologies bio-regenerative serum and calculate it would be able to heal blood cancer, something that not even the brilliant scientist Cisco had any knowledge of. He was also able to swiftly realize upon failing to blast through the rocks with a fire thrower that Earth-1's vibrational frequency is calibrated at a molecular level. An excellent geologist specializing in thermic excavation, Nash is shown to be able to quickly correctly analyze the results of his researches, such as seamlessly precisely calculating that the Eternium particles he sensed near Iris West-Allen was actually not inside her but in the tunnel as well as quickly realizing that his device detected Allegra Garcia having the power to emit ultraviolet rays. From his time traveling through many universes, Nash has also accumulated a vast amount of knowledge on the multiverse and doppelgängers, enough to thoroughly tell Allegra in exchange for her cooperation, leaving her impressed with his knowledge. His scientific abilities must also contribute in his ability to travel through the multiverse. He also knew that Flash-1 could not penetrate the antimatter barrier containing Flash-90 because he was made of positive matter. This implies that Nash retained some of his scientific knowledge when he became Pariah.
- Master engineer/Gadgeteer: Nash was an excellent engineer and gadgeteer, owning and using masterfully, depending on the situation devices such as smoke bombs able to teleport people and a tracking device able to track ultraviolet rays and eternium particles. Although his skills in building machines are not on par with Cisco's, he appears to be confident his abilities on other fields of engineering exceeded Cisco's, describing it as "shoddy" and "subpar. He was able to quickly understand the functions of the Antimatter cannon.
- Expert mathematician: Nash accurately calculated that the fire had sapped the majority of the oxygen in the tunnel and that he and Joe only had 42 minutes left to breathe.
- Master of manipulation: Nash is considerably adept in manipulating others to complete his goals, as he was able to effortlessly manipulate the entire Team Flash into helping him oppose Mar Novu by claiming it would save Barry Allen's life and calmly convince Allegra into helping him. However, the Anti-Monitor far surpassed his manipulative capabilities.
- Master tracker: Nash is an extremely skilled tracker, as he was capable of successfully tracing Mar Novu's trails through multiple worlds before finally finding the gateway to his realm on Earth-1.
- Master of stealth/Escape artist: Nash can follow his targets for long periods of time unnoticed, and quickly disappear from sight even in broad daylight, he is also skilled in using pyrotechnics to create various subtle explosions and smokescreens to mask his escape, as seen in his both confrontation with Iris and Cisco.
- Expert hand-to-hand combatant: Nash is a highly trained fighter, able to quickly pin Cisco Ramon and swiftly dispatch two guards after having stunned them with a device. He was even able to overpower a Blood Brother with a shovel and fight off dozens of them long enough to be saved by Allegra.
- Acrobatics/Free-running: Nash was able to scale S.T.A.R. Labs' balcony.
- Honed senses: Nash sensed Joe approaching him from behind.
- Mobius: Controlled by the Anti-Monitor, Nash was cursed to bear witness and appear during tragedies during the Anti-Monitor Crisis as penance for freeing the Anti-Monitor from his imprisonment while the cosmic being destroyed the multiverse.
- Memory loss: When Nash became Pariah, he lost most of the memories he had up until that point. However, Cisco was able to use his powers to access Nash's memories.
- Gauntlet: Nash wears a gauntlet on his wrist which he uses for various purposes.
- Tracking device: Nash's gauntlet contains a tracking device, which he used to detect Eternium particles. He also used it to detect ultraviolet rays.
- Blaster: Nash's gauntlet contains a blaster, which he accidentally used to cause a cave-in. He also used it to try to free himself and Joe West from the cave-in, to no avail do to Earth-1's vibrational frequency being calibrated at a molecular level.
- Smoke bomb: Nash used a smoke bomb to escape from Iris West-Allen and Cisco Ramon. Those bombs were revealed to also work to teleport people, as shown when Nash, Cisco and Barry Allen used one to teleport to S.T.A.R. Labs after stealing the bio-regenerative serum from McCulloch Technologies.
- Zip line: Nash used a zipline attached to a grappling hook when preparing to attack Cisco.
- Techno fanny pack: An equipment bag with Nash's name tag that he wore over one of his shoulders with a strap that winds around the chest.
- Ruby: During his travels throughout the multiverse, Nash somehow acquired a priceless red stone that gives horrible nightmare hallucinations to all its victims.
- Pariah suit: When Nash was cursed to become Pariah, he was granted a full-body, green suit by Mobius.
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
Crisis on Infinite Earths Giant
Crisis on Infinite Earths
Behind the scenes
- In the Crisis of Infinite Earth limited series published by DC Comics, Pariah was a scientist who neglected his family while seeking the secrets of the universe, observing them through a portal he had fashioned from anti-matter. Unfortunately, Pariah's meddling attracted the attention of the Anti-Monitor, who used Pariah's portal to unleash a wave of uncontrolled anti-matter that destroyed Pariah's universe and kick-started the crisis. Pariah was saved by the Monitor, who put him to work tracking the Anti-Monitor's movements. Pariah had somehow become bound to the Anti-Monitor and was forcibly teleported between realities, arriving on worlds just before the Anti-Monitor came to destroy them.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 ""
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 ""
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 ""
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 ""
- ↑ 5.00 5.01 5.02 5.03 5.04 5.05 5.06 5.07 5.08 5.09 5.10 5.11 5.12 5.13 ""
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 6.6 6.7 6.8 ""
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 7.5 7.6 ""
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 8.5 8.6 8.7 ""
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 ""
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 10.3 ""
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
|Other versions of Harrison Nash Wells|
|To see other versions of this character, click the Earth name below for that Earth's counterpart of Harrison Wells.|
Earth: 1 • 2 • 12 • 13 • 17 • 19 • 22 • 24 • 25 • 27 • 47 • 221 • TUD1 • TUD2 • TUD12 • Netherverse • Eobard Thawne