Harrison Sherloque Wells was a multiversal detective from Earth-221. He was regarded as one of the greatest detectives in all the multiverse, solving many great mysteries such as the King Tut killer of Earth-55. His skills became known to Harrison Wolfgang Wells of Earth-12, who suggested Sherloque's services to Team Flash of Earth-1. Sherloque joined Team Flash in their fight against Cicada.
At first, Sherloque smugly showed off his detective skills, sharing some secrets of Team Flash as proof. He also charged Team Flash for his services to pay for his alimony to his six ex-wives. However despite his skills, he falsely assumed that the identity of the Cicada of Earth-1 would be David Hersch. He revealed that he had previously deduced 37 other Cicadas in the multiverse as various versions of David Hersch and assumed Earth-1 to be the same. He would try to leave Earth-1 to avoid being kept but he wound up being forced to stay with Team Flash
While helping Team Flash investigate Cicada, he would conduct his own investigation on Team Flash's newest speedster, Nora West-Allen. He stole Nora's journal and began tirelessly working to decrypt her written language. However, he only managed to decrypt a single phrase: "the timeline is malleable". Upon finding plans for the time sphere which had the same phrase written on it, he deduced that Nora was working with Eobard Thawne.
During his time on Earth-1, he would meet Renee Adler who he would fall in love with. It is later revealed that Renee is the doppelgänger of his various ex-wives. Sherloque would send Renee to Earth-221 to protect her from Cicada.
Sherloque would later reveal Nora's secret of working with Eobard Thawne. However, it only made the rest of Team Flash resent him. Taking the hint, he prepared to leave Earth-1 back to Earth-221, but stopped to save Barry Allen's life. He stayed with Team Flash and helped defeat Cicada, apologizing to Nora for his actions. With Cicada defeated, he bid farewell to Team Flash and returned to Earth-221, reuniting with Renee.
In 2019, Sherloque was killed by an anti-matter wave that destroyed Earth-221 during the Anti-Monitor Crisis. However, his brainwaves were channeled into the mind his last surviving doppelgänger, Harrison Nash Wells. As a result, Sherloque appeared to Nash in visions.
When Barry exhausted his remaining Speed Force powers, Sherloque worked with Harry Wells, H.R. Wells, and Harrison Orson Wells to develop a solution. The solution was for Nash to transfer all the multiversal particles of all the Wellses into the fusion sphere to power the artificial Speed Force machine, at the cost of his life. Nash angrily refused to give up his life. Sherloque would be transferred to Barry's mind during a failed attempt at transferring the particles and would briefly surface before being transferred back to Nash. As Nash sacrificed himself, Sherloque emerged to say farewell to Barry before his particles were absorbed, granting Barry his powers back.
- 1 Biography
- 1.1 Original multiverse
- 1.2 New multiverse
- 2 Legacy
- 3 Personality
- 4 Powers and abilities
- 5 Appearances
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Behind the scenes
- 8 References
At some point in his adulthood, Sherloque married seven times, twice to the same woman, leaving the status of his seventh marriage currently unknown. His third ex-wife was from Earth-38, the same Earth of Supergirl and Superman.
Career as multiverse detective
At some point, Sherloque entered in the mind of the comatose patients of Summerholt Institute using his technology. Later, Sherloque chased a serial killer named Mad Hatter with his partner Watsune until he finds out with the memory machine that his fourth wife was cheating on him with his partner. After arguing with his partner he lets him go chasing the Mad Hatter alone and later find him attached to the memory machine brain-dead.
At some point after this, Sherloque was hired multiple times to find the identity of "Cicada" through the multiverse. According to him, it was always David Hersch. Due to his skills, Sherloque eventually was known by Harrison Wolfgang Wells, the Harrison Wells of Earth-12.
Helping Team Flash
- "I thought your Earth would be colder."
- —Sherloque Wells[src]
The Earth-1 Flash and his team hired him as a suggestion by Harrison Wolfgang Wells, after Cisco Ramon opened a portal to take Sherloque to Earth-1. Sherloque could make conclusions from everyone: that Cisco was heartbroken from his break-up with Cynthia, that Barry Allen was the main speedster of Earth-1, Nora West-Allen was Barry and Iris West-Allen's daughter, and Iris removed a tattoo of a former lover. He asked for a fee in exchange for his detective work.
First, they found a David Hersch, who set a bomb in a warehouse (which Wells discerns at once to be a decoy trap, nearly costing Nora her life when multiple similar bombs popped up around of her, had Barry not been warned in time), but he was different from Cicada. Cisco demanded a refund, but he no longer had the money because he invested it to pay the alimony of his ex-wives. He pretended to have been burned to ashes by a reactor on the Pipeline, but Cisco revealed that the explosion would be worse if the reactor exploded and told Barry to search for him in S.T.A.R. Labs. Barry found him and ran him to the Pipeline. He then pretended to be surprised by his own death, but he admitted that he did it and revealed he did the same to get rid of himself off his fourth and sixth wife which was the same woman.
Later, he was seen pondering on his own when Nora approached him, asking if he has seen her purse. After pointing out where he last saw the accessory and then detailed Nora's conducts thus far into the past into which she time-traveled, namely her intervention when she helped her father destroy the S.T.A.R. Labs satellite. Sherloque then blithely asked the female speedster if she came to decide on that last part all on her own, to which Nora balked on an answer, unable to reply. Sherloque then dismissed the thought, surmising that Nora did that on her own accord, as her moniker, XS, was definitive for that kind of behavior. Nora agreed and without further ado, took her to leave. As she left though, Wells cast a glance on her departing form, implying that he may have gleaned more than he let on about the speedster from the future.
While investigating Cicada, Sherloque also investigated Nora on the side, using her journal which contained a secret language she developed herself. Sherloque had much difficulty cracking the language besides a single phrase, "the timeline is malleable".
To divert attention from his research on her, Nora with Thawne's suggestion used love to distract him. Nora engineered an accident at CC Jitters to make Sherloque find a love interest, Renee Adler, not knowing the woman in question was doppelgänger of his various ex-wives through the multiverse. Nora would reveal Sherloque's location on Earth-1 as but Sherloque was apparently behind on his alimony payments. Dejected, Sherloque left the room after meeting his ex-wives. Feeling bad, Nora would encourage Sherloque to pursue Renee, but to take a different approach than he did with his ex-wives.
Despite the distraction, Sherloque continued his work on investigating Nora. While shuffling through various blueprints, he discovered the phrase, "the timeline is malleable", written on a blueprint for the time sphere. With this information, he concluded that Nora was working with Eobard Thawne in the future. Iris would come in to check on Sherloque, telling him if he was looking for something, to just ask. Again, Sherloque would keep his true intentions a secret. With this information, he investigates the storage room and sits on Eobard's wheelchair and puts on his glasses while thinking of where Eobard would keep his secrets. He concludes that Eobard would keep his secrets close, a drive in a secret compartment on the wheelchair. He takes the drive to Gideon and activates her. He plays the recording made by Eobard and has Gideon analyze Eobard's handwriting on the clear board. The handwriting matched those found in Nora's notebook. Certain of Nora's collaborator, he reveals his findings to Team Flash while Nora begged him not to do so. As a result, Barry would put Nora in the pipeline and later sends her back to 2049.
He later sends Renee to his Earth to keep her safe from Cicada.
Leaving Team Flash and Returning to Earth-221
After Cicada was defeated on Earth-1, Sherloque decided to return home. He recounted how Nora changed him and Cisco pointed out that he can add another defeated Cicada to his list. He said goodbye to Team Flash, congratulating Ralph on graduating to "Adult Giraffe". He, then breached back to Earth-221, saluting goodbye.
Warning Harrison Nash Wells
- "Well that's not true, is it? You're such a liar. [...] That contraption, is not going to work."
- —Sherloque taunts Nash as he works with Allegra[src]
In 2020, after the Paragons restored the multiverse, Eobard Thawne threatened his return when Nash Wells started to hallucinate Harry Wells, Wells the Grey, and many other Wells, including Sherloque. Unaware that they were living in his mind and trying to help him.
Nash and Allegra were building a residual particle catcher when Sherloque appeared behind them. Allegra asked why Nash acted like he always knew her. Nash told Allegra that he didn't know what she was talking about and Sherloque called him a liar. He also told him that the catcher wouldn't work. He was right and disappeared soon after.
One night, Nash Wells was alone in an apartment building when the hallucination of Sherloque Wells approached Nash and told his host, "He is coming," before vibrating and showing off red glowing eyes, similar to that of the Reverse-Flash. Nash was horrified by the sight of this, subsequently fled in terror.
Powering the artificial Speed Force
- "Not great, hmm? Our current situation, huh? But... it will be. Tu seras toujours mon ami"
- —Sherloque Wells to Barry Allen[src]
After Team Flash's initial defeat by Eva McCulloch, Sherloque brainstormed alongside Harry Wells, H.R. Wells, and Harrison Orson Wells of a way to power the artificial Speed Force. They eventually came up with a plan that would possibly allow Barry to get his speed back: Nash, being full of multiversal energy from all the Harrison Wellses, would use himself as the fuel for the artificial Speed Force. One upside of the plan was that Nash would finally be free of the other Wellses, though as this plan was not fully fleshed out, they had theorized it would also cost Nash's life as well, leading him to initially decline in rage. When Nash had Allegra use her wavelength powers on the Artificial Speed Force generator, they accidentally sent the Wellses' brainwaves into Barry Allen.
Sherloque briefly reappeared in Barry's body and recounted the time he solved the mystery of the "King Tut Killer" of Earth-55. However, after Barry fainted, this situation was revealed to be endangering his life, since his mind couldn't contain an infinite number of brainwaves, and he was only kept alive through the remaining Speed Force in his body. Nash eventually went through with sacrificing himself to power the new Speed Force.
Allegra and Chester returned the Wellses' brainwaves to Nash. Nash decided the only way for Barry to get his speed back was to sacrifice his life and he touched the fusion sphere. While Nash transferred the particles, Sherloque briefly resurfaced to say farewell to Barry, quipping how the situation was not too great, but will be in the end. His energy was then absorbed into the artificial Speed Force, granting Barry his powers back.
Sherloque would be remembered for his sacrifice alongside the other Wellses in order to grant Barry his powers back. Sherloque's name was nano-engraved onto the wall to protect his memory from any timeline changes. His brandy bottle would be placed on display with other notable Wells objects like Harry's glasses, H.R.'s drumsticks, and Nash's bandolier in the "Hall of Fallen Heroes" in S.T.A.R. Labs.
Though the artificial Speed Force had adverse effects on Barry and was destroyed, their sacrifice was not in vain as 0.01% of the particles were used to resurrect the Earth-Prime Harrison Wells, who assisted in bringing the original Speed Force back and granting Barry his powers again.
- "This 'Sherloque', yes, he's brilliant, but to redirect his gaze, one only has to nudge him toward his weakness: love."
- —Eobard Thawne[src]
Sherloque is a very arrogant and smug individual, taking great pride in his abilities as a detective and the reputation he has earned throughout the multiverse. He just as easily scoffs at other's opinions that contradict his views. However while a very insightful and methodical man, Sherloque prefers to take a quick and easy way to deal with things as after one idea proved accurate enough times, he simply assumed that it would always work and began recycling the same idea. He is also proven to be quite unscrupulous as when things get too difficult, as he will attempt to sneak away; Sherloque even faked his death to get away from paying alimony to his ex-wives.
At the same time, Sherloque is not without an honorable side. While confident in his instincts and usually convinced that he is in the right direction, he is willing to admit to when he has made a mistake and likewise give credit where credit is due; for example, Sherloque openly applauded Ralph Dibny in finding an important clue on Cicada's identity.
While working with Team Flash, Sherloque has begun to develop a friendship with its members, showing a kinder side to his character; he helped Nora West-Allen bond with her mother, Iris West-Allen, and eventually agreed to put aside his bitterness to celebrate Thanksgiving with the team.
Sherloque has been married seven times (twice to the same woman), which is later revealed to be due to them all being doppelgängers of his first wife. He confided in a very confused Nora that "[they're] the only woman for [him]", showing a bizarre romantic side. Conversely, it was Sherloque's attempts to be romantic that lead to his divorces since he tried to use what the women liked in extravagant manners, leading to horrible consequences. Sherloque later met the Earth-1 Renee Adler, whom he immediately became smitten with (thanks to Nora's manipulations per Eobard Thawne's suggestion). Ultimately, Sherloque realized Renee was "the woman [he's] been waiting for", as she fully accepts his quirks.
Occasionally, Sherloque lets the thrill over revealing a mystery get the better of him, particularly when it comes to sensitivity. Suspicious of Nora suddenly taking direct actions that will alter the past after having been so careful to not be noticed before, Sherloque investigated her to find out who she was working with. Right as Nora was about to tell Team Flash the truth about Eobard helping her change the past to ensure Cicada was defeated and her father, Barry Allen, wouldn't disappear in the "Crisis", Sherloque butted in and revealed his partial deduction of Nora working for Eobard. In the process, he ignored Nora's pleading to tell it herself and even expected to be congratulated for this discovery until coming to his senses.
Powers and abilities
- Bond with Harrison Nash Wells: After the destruction and subsequent restoration of the multiverse, all the Harrison Wells of the multiverse relocated their consciences into the mind the the sole surviving Wells, Nash. Due to this bond, Sherloque and the other Wells can communicate with their host.
- Illusion manipulation: Due to Sherloque and the other Wellses' consciences living in Nash's mind, they can communicate with their host in the form of illusions and hallucinations, such as when Sherloque warned Nash of Eobard Thawne's return, and started vibrating and showed off glowing red eyes to prove his point.
- Genius-level intellect/Master detective: Like many of his counterparts, Sherloque is a very astute and cunning individual. He is a renowned detective and according to Harrison Wolfgang Wells, the best in the entire multiverse. A very well-read and intuitive individual, Sherloque has insightful knowledge of human behavior and natural reactions from various stimulus determine a variety of facts from perceiving the smallest of details (thus he could even understand the MO of a secretive man like Eobard Thawne) from a crude explanation of where Vibe and Cicada were fighting, he was able to quickly deduce their location.
- Computer specialist: Sherloque demonstrated a fair level of proficiency with computers, able to program them to decipher Nora West-Allen's mysterious writing.
- Expert of deception/Manipulator: Sherloque is very efficient at conceiving believable lies on the spot to fool individuals. He is also talented at faking his death, having fooled two of his ex-wives.
- Multilingual: Sherloque is capable of fluently speaking English and French. He apparently is familiar in so many languages that he was surprised to discover the "Time language" as one he couldn't understand.
- "Speed sketcher. It's a modest talent."
- —Harrison Sherloque Wells[src]
- Artistic skill: Sherloque is a talented sketch artist, as he was able to quickly complete a sketch of "Khione" with elegant detail in seconds.
- Escape artist: Taught by Thaddeus Brown of Earth-51, Sherloque is very seamless in his efforts of escaping from binds and likewise freeing others from them.
The Chronicles of Cisco
- (video footage)
- Sherloque is the fourth version of Harrison Wells to join Team Flash, after Eobard Thawne (impersonating Earth-1 Harrison Wells), Harry Wells (from Earth-2), and H.R. Wells (from Earth-19).
- Sherloque is also the third francophone version of Harrison Wells Team Flash has met.
- Sherloque is the third Harrison Wells to have a wife.
- In "", Sherloque learned that marrying one of his wives a second time resulted in her revealing to all his other exes that he faked his death. As a result, he's now stuck paying alimony to all of them again.
- Sherloque is from Earth-221. This is a reference to 221B Baker Street, the London address of the fictional detective Sherlock Holmes.
- At the same time, it's implied that Sherloque's ex-wives never mistook any doppelgänger he may have had on their respective Earths for him.
- Just as his Earth-2 counterpart gets along with Cisco Ramon more because they are both scientists, this version of Harrison bonds more with Ralph Dibny more because they are both detectives.
- Sherloque is a fan of John Stamos, being impressed Stamos remains handsome in his late 80s after a visit to the future.
- In the episode "", Sherloque mispronounces Kamilla's name as Kamala, which may be a reference to the indie game Fran Bow, as Kamalas are a type of creature featured in that game.
Behind the scenes
- His name is an allusion to Sherlock Holmes. In fact, Sherloque's train of thought and logic process perfectly matches that of Sherlock Holmes.
- Much like him, Sherloque shows an utter lack of remorse for revealing a dark secret someone (Nora) kept from their loved ones, instead hoping he would receive praise for his deduction.
- Sherloque's beard evokes some resemblance to that of Robert Downey, Jr., an actor who portrayed Sherlock Holmes in two films directed by Guy Ritchie.
- Cisco Ramon once called him "Cumberbatch", an allusion to Benedict Cumberbatch, who portrays Sherlock Holmes in the BBC Series Sherlock.
- Additionally, Sherloque's ex-partner Watsune and girlfriend Renee Adler are both a reference to Dr. Watson and Irene Adler in the Sherlock Holmes stories.
- Tom Cavanagh was the one who came up with the idea of the detective Wells having a French accent, as well as the running joke of him correcting people on the pronunciation of his name.
- "Tom Cavanagh (2020) | Inside of You Podcast w/ Michael Rosenbaum" - YouTube (1:07:49, 1:15:33)
|Other versions of Harrison Sherloque Wells|
|To see other versions of this character, click the Earth name below for that Earth's counterpart of Harrison Wells.|
|Earth: 1 • 2 • 12 • 13 • 17 • 19 • 22 • 24 • 25 • 47 • 221 • TUD1 • TUD2 • TUD12 • TUD23 • Netherverse • Eobard Thawne|