- "Look on my Earth, I had fame. I had power. I had respect. I was H.R. Wells! Ahhh! But when I looked in the mirror, I knew the truth and the truth was: I didn’t matter. I was a fraud. That is why I came to this Earth. So I can rewrite my story, both literally and figuratively."
- —H.R. Wells to Cisco Ramon and Barry Allen[src]
Harrison "H.R." Wells (died May 23, 2017; pre-Crisis timeline) was the former director and face of S.T.A.R. Labs on Earth-19. However, he eventually was exposed for being a fraud of a scientist, and everything fell apart for him on his Earth. When his business partner, Randolf Morgan, solved the cryptogram sent by Team Flash, H.R. was given an opportunity to come to Earth-1 to write a novel on his adventures. To disguise himself on Earth-1, H.R. took on his partner's likeness and dubbed himself as "H.R. Randolf".
H.R. was chosen to come to Earth-1 after sending a hologram of himself as a response to the cryptogram. Not long after moving to Earth-1, Team Flash figured out he was a fraud and had lied to them. H.R. pleaded his case that he was a useful ideas man but it only served to irritate Team Flash. However, H.R. convinced Barry Allen that he could redeem himself and he was allowed to stay for a short time to prove himself, but if he failed, he would be sent back to Earth-19.
To prove himself, H.R. established the S.T.A.R. Labs Museum in order for Team Flash to generate income. Though initially a failure, Cisco Ramon arranged a school to have a field trip there and seemed to become a moderate success.
Due to Earth-19's ban on inter-dimensional travel, he was pursued by Gypsy, an enforcer of the Collector Agency. H.R. was released as Cisco fought as his champion and won the trial by combat. As a result, he agreed to never return to Earth-19.
Due to feeling held back, Wally West would enlist the help of H.R to train him in his new speedster abilities. Though he initially refused to, he soon saw Wally's potential and thoroughly trained him despite the scorn he faced from the rest of Team Flash. Eventually, his training convinced Team Flash that he was ready to join Barry out in the field. He and the others presented Wally with his first suit, officially naming him, "Kid Flash".
H.R. would assist in Team Flash's fight against the evil speedster, Savitar. He and Tracy Brand would together develop the Speed Force bazooka meant to trap Savitar in the Speed Force, becoming close in the process. However, he would sacrifice himself to save Iris West and prevent the future of Savitar from becoming real after inadvertently giving away Iris' location on Earth-2.
After the events of the Anti-Monitor Crisis, H.R. would return to help Team Flash due to being channeled into the mind of his last surviving doppelgänger: Harrison Nash Wells. He would assist in developing a plan with Harry Wells, Sherloque Wells and Harrison Orson Wells to have Nash transfer the multiversal particles to the fusion sphere to power the artificial Speed Force. After saying goodbye to Team Flash, H.R. would be absorbed into the fusion sphere alongside the other Wellses, powering the artificial Speed Force, granting Barry Allen his powers back.
- 1 Biography
- 1.1 Original multiverse
- 1.2 New multiverse
- 1.3 Erased future
- 2 Legacy
- 3 Personality
- 4 Powers and abilities
- 5 Equipment
- 6 Appearances
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Behind the scenes
- 9 See also
- 10 References
Life on Earth-19
- "Why, H.R., you could convince a cowboy to buy dirt in a sandstorm."
- —H.R. quoting his business partner, Randolf Morgan.[src]
Harrison "H.R." Wells was business partners with Randolf Morgan, founding S.T.A.R. Labs on Earth-19 together; it was agreed while Randolf made the tech, H.R. was to be the face of the company. This plan worked with H.R. using his natural charisma to lead S.T.A.R. labs as its director; using team-building exorcises to make them very efficient.
H.R. went on a date with a woman who wondered if he spoke another language; he quickly turned the inquiry into a joke.
At some point H.R. assisted the Flash of his Earth in tracking down meta-humans in "World War M" by acting as his idea man, about which he wrote several best-selling books. Unfortunately, H.R. was found out as a fake, leading to his public humiliation and leaving him unable to make anything of his life now.
However, luck turned around for H.R.; his old friend Randolf Morgan cracked the cryptogram sent out by Harry Wells, Cisco Ramon, and Caitlin Snow. Deciding to respond, H.R. sent his own hologram to Earth-1 to communicate with the cryptogram's senders. In his hologram audition, he expressed interest in helping the Earth-1 heroes fight crime and find meta-humans, trying to show off his good humor. His audition was rejected by Harry, but he ended up being selected anyway.
Moving to Earth-1
- —H.R. Wells[src]
When H.R. arrived on Earth-1, he greeted Team Flash by saying "Greetings Earthlings", in a deep tone of voice, though he quickly assured the team he was joking. Wells then proceeded to call his Earth-2 doppelgänger handsome. He was then introduced to Team Flash by his doppelgänger. After Harry and Jesse Wells returned to Earth-2, Wells jokingly questioned what his doppelgänger was about to say before returning to Earth-2. Wells proceeded to ask if Earth-1 had a Big Belly Burger.
While trying to track down a holographic monster, it was revealed that H.R. didn't have the scientific skills of his predecessors, being mostly an ideas man and the face of his company, rather than a genius scientist. Despite Cisco Ramon refusing to trust the new Wells, and Wally West calling him a conman, he tried to persuade Team Flash that he can be of some use to them, suggesting ideas for the team to develop, acting as their "muse", and taking part in the adventures so that he could later write a book about them. While most members of the team were disappointed, Barry allowed H.R. to stay for some time and try to prove his worth as a teammate, before going back to Earth-19.
Trying to find his place
- "If a string is in a knot, patience will untie it. Patience can do lots of things, have you ever tried it?"
- —H.R. Wells quoting his mother’s mantra[src]
Looking over the history of Team Flash, H.R. told the team that sooner or later somebody would connect the dots regarding the use of the almost-abandoned S.T.A.R. Labs by the vigilante team assisting the Flash. To give S.T.A.R. Labs a cover, he proposed turning it into a museum, with him as its charismatic director. Deciding to go into town, H.R. was stopped by Cisco reminding him that Earth-1 is fearful of the evil Wells's murderous deeds, and he'd be shot on sight. He quoted his mother’s mantra about patience.
Changing his plans, H.R. appeared in Randolf Morgan's likeness, showing his facial transmogrification device from Earth-19 to Cisco and Caitlin Snow. H.R. then joined Joe West, Cisco and Caitlin on a trip to the park cinema, on a viewing of The Shining, where he suddenly decided to flirt with Cecile Horton. The screening was cut short, as the meta-human criminal Shade appeared, attacking the citizens. Evacuating with Cisco and Caitlin, he stayed with them as Cisco hacked into the cars' computers, weakening Shade with the flashing lights.
Training Kid Flash
After Wally West's meta-human powers were restored by the Philosopher's Stone, H.R. noticed how the West family tried to limit Wally's training, refusing to see the youth's potential. H.R. then offered Wally to become a mentor in the use of the Speed Force, managing to train Wally to achieve speeds greater than those of Barry's start as the Flash.
- "Hey. You put my son's life in danger again."
"And he saved Barry's life. Joe, why...why do you think I help Wally? 'Cause I'm selfish, I get something--I don't get anything out of it. I help Wally 'cause the kid is special. He's extraordinary. His powers are extraordinary and look, I get it. I'm--I'm not his dad and I don't have the same safety concerns as you, of course not, but Joe, one thing I do know, the longer you deny someone their potential, the more they're gonna look for it elsewhere."
- —H.R. defending Wally's aspirations to Joe[src]
H.R. later continued to help Wally with the training, making it possible for Wally to achieve speeds much higher than Barry. When Wally revealed that the two were training to Joe West, he and H.R. were met with scorn. Nevertheless, H.R.'s argument to Joe in favor of Wally learning how to use his powers proved correct when Wallace used the Speed Force to help Wally combat Savitar. When Savitar gets channeled through Julian Albert, Savitar called H.R. the "fake Wells" while identifying members of Team Flash. H.R. later attended the Christmas party at the West house, where he proceeded to have too much eggnog. He participated with the rest of Team Flash in giving Wally his first speedster suit and teased his nickname as "Kid Flash".
H.R. was always trying to fine-tune everything for the opening of the S.T.A.R. Labs Museum, however, meanwhile helped the team fight the Plunder. When the Plunder started robbing jewelry stores in the city and Flash tried to catch him a second time, Kid Flash joined the fight, who decided to act, seeing the threat to Barry's life. This act, for unknown reasons, did not appeal to Allen, who did not want Wally on subsequent missions. As it turned out later, the hero's behavior was related to what he saw in the future - the death of Iris at the hands of Savitar. When Cisco and Barry vibed to the future in 2024, one of the headlines they saw was the closing of the S.T.A.R. Labs Museum, which H.R. wrote down in disappointment. Barry and Cisco observed a future H.R. on a nearby rooftop aiming a rifle at Savitar, seemingly confirming that the future could be changed. Knowing from the news that he saw at the stop about the intentions of the Plunder, he did not want to catch him in order to try to change the future and prevent the tragic version of events. The team decided not to lead to such an event and when the Plunder escaped, Kid Flash captured him instead of Flash, thus confirming the future could be changed.
After all the action, H.R. was called by Cisco to the museum, where the engineer showed the man that he had brought people - mostly schools, to spread the word about the location. Cisco fixed the holographic tour guide as well. H.R. thanked Cisco for making his dream a reality and potentially change the future headline. Then they all went to a housewarming party at Barry and Iris' new home, where Wells gave them a turtle named McSnurtle as a housewarming gift.
Hunted by Gypsy
- "So she takes you back to Earth-19 and, what, you pay a fine?",
"The punishment for an unauthorized breach travel on my Earth...it's death."
- —Cisco and H.R. discussing Earth-19's policy[src]
He then was hunted by Gypsy for breaking the inter-dimensional travel rule of Earth-19. Gypsy was able to track H.R. due to his broadcasting his writings throughout the multiverse. Cisco, in order to protect H.R., challenged Gypsy to a trial by combat. Fearing that Gypsy would kill Cisco, H.R. snd Barry tried to get the drop on her, but she anticipated it. Gypsy would take H.R. as insurance for the fight. Cisco would eventually prevail against Gypsy. Admitting defeat, Gypsy allowed H.R.'s freedom. As Gypsy prepared to leave back to Earth-19, Gypsy asked that H.R. never return, as Gypsy would report and pretend he was killed, thus remaining unrivaled.
Assisting Team Flash
H.R. continuously supported Wally's endeavors, even deciding to wager for Wally as the winner of a race against Barry, despite gambling being outlawed in his universe. When The Flash and Kid Flash raced on the streets of Central City, H.R. staked a hundred dollars on Wally, and when he saw that he was doing well, he raised the stake twice without expecting him to lose. Though Barry would win the race. When a new meta-man, Clive Yorkin, started to rampage in the city and threatened the life of Iris West, H.R. he came up with a brilliant plan by which to find the enemy. He intended to use Ramon's ability to show "Flashpoint", discovering the criminal's next target and effectively helping to arrest him.
When Jesse arrived on Earth-1 and asked her friends to help save her father from telepathic gorillas, H.R. was supporting the team emotionally all the time. When he saw that Jesse was upset about Wally, he tried to serve her with a kind word, which in the end worked quite well. When the team returned with Harry and the girls' sorrows were over, H.R. he caught Wally and Jesse kissing, learning that the woman wanted to stay on Earth-1. Harry, staying for the next hours on Earth-1, could not come to terms with the fact that his stupider version existed, who organized a "Friend’s Day" celebration in the laboratory. Later, H.R. aided the team in defeating Grodd and the Gorilla army, compromising himself to his counterpart.
H.R. watched from the lab as the speedsters from S.T.A.R. Labs trained in the city streets, gearing Wally up to speed to save his sister. When it finally happened, joy ensued, and upon returning to the base, Allen announced that he had become engaged to Iris. It was then that the sprinters were forced to go to the burning building. On the way, however, Wally was attacked by Savitar, whom only the latter saw. Thus, it turned out that the young West had been seeing the enemy for a long time and was hiding it from the team. An angry Barry kicked Wally off the team for this time, saying he didn't trust him. The angry boy discovered that Allen became engaged to his sister only because they were not engaged in the future and thus could turn the tide. After all, the heroes contacted the enemy several times through Julian and found out that Caitlin had stored a piece of the Philosopher's Stone. With such an advantage, the team did not expect Wally to end it all by stealing the artifact and throwing it into the Speed Force. When the portal opened, he began to drag Wally in, and Flash did not have time to save him. Young West replaced Savitar, who was trapped in the Speed Force, thereby freeing him once and for all. The speedsters started to fight, but the hero eventually lost, ending up in the laboratory with a large stab wound. Jesse, unable to come to terms with the loss of her beloved, did not know what to do with herself. When H.R. came to comfort her, the girl embraced him and began to cry on his shoulder, finding in him "fatherly-like" support.
- "I shouldn't be surprised. Us Wellses...we are forces to be reckoned with."
"That we are."
- —H.R. and Jesse Wells[src]
H.R. inspired the team to try to save Wally, in which Barry would visit the Speed Force again. He helped Julian, Caitlin, and Cisco create a return device that would help bring Allen back to Earth if necessary. As the rescue mission began, Jesse asked the team to help target Savitar with his armor, which the team did quite quickly. H.R. he guessed that the girl wanted to defeat the enemy on her own, but her friends backed him up to prevent her from doing so. The heroine, however, was so stubborn that she took the blade and knocked out Wells, meeting Savitar soon after. H.R. communicated with her and helped her fight, explaining to her that god did not need the protection of armor. He meant that Jesse should hurt the enemy with the exposed body element. After Wally and Barry returned, the girl chose to stay through Jay Garrick's absence from Earth-3 and after saying goodbye to her, H.R. told the team about the joint discovery regarding the enemy.
When in S.T.A.R. Labs opened a portal, the team greeted the Supergirl team, who needed help with an unconscious Kara. As it turned out, the mysterious Music Meister appeared on Earth-38 out of nowhere, and upon arrest she attacked D.E.O.'s agents, stole the heroine's Interdimensional extrapolator and fled to Earth-1 to find "the fastest man in the world". As the bands tried to "recover" Kara, an unexpected guest appeared in the building - Music Meister, whom Flash ran to deal with. H.R. he advised Wally that in order to recover, he could not stand still, but had to act immediately. During the fight, the criminal also hypnotized Barry, demonstrating Supergirl's abilities, after which he escaped. Teams tried to save their friends, not knowing exactly what was happening to them. As the criminal began to terrorize Central City, Kid Flash, Vibe, and the Martian Hunter defeated him, then trapping him in the pipe. On the enemy's advice, as Barry and Kara began to deteriorate, Iris and Mon-El decided to use Vibe's abilities to save them, which they eventually succeeded. After a while, Music Meister himself showed up, stating that he only intended to give a lesson to the brokenhearted, after which he disappeared and is not a criminal, then disappeared singing a song.
When the team fought Abra Kadabra, H.R. was on a date. When he returned, he saw Caitlin undergo surgery while he was away. After a short conversation, the woman's condition began to deteriorate, and despite many attempts at resuscitation, Ramon declared her death. Julian could not come to terms with the loss of Caitlin, so he took off her necklace, turning her into Killer Frost while saving her life. Sam H.R., Cisco, and Julian were pushed away by an icy blast against the walls, and their friend's evil incarnation escaped.
Fighting Savitar and finding love
Barry, fearing Savitar would win and kill Iris, decided to travel to 2024 to learn about the sprinter. Wally helped Allen open the portal and before he looked back, the boy managed to get back, believing he had a plan even though he still didn't know who was hiding under Savitar's armor. Everything was watched closely by H.R., who tried to loosen the atmosphere of the team.
H.R and his team decided to follow Allen from the future and found Tracy Brand, who in the distant future was to help build the Savitar trap. The heroes found their target at the university, where they noticed that the woman was going to give up the chosen field of study. As if that were not enough, Kiler Frost attacked them, forcing everyone to flee. Later, Wells found the woman in CC Jitters, where they tried to protect her from another attack and persuade her to continue their research. The conversation, however, was interrupted by another attack by Killer Frost, which again failed.
Accordingly, Tracy was taken to S.T.A.R. Labs, where the heroes outlined the whole thing for Tracy and what she would be in the future. Thus, they asked her to continue research and help in capturing a dangerous speedster, to which the woman initially agreed. Soon after, she decided to run away to think it all over, but an honest conversation with H.R. convinced her heroes to be right. Upon returning to the lab, Joe's girlfriend is found to be in trouble and Tracy must be used as bait. The plan worked, and thanks to Flash and Vibe, no one was hurt. The sight of Savitar convinced Tracy even more that he needed to help the team, which made H.R happy.
Tracy was working on the Speed Force bazooka when H.R. offering her a moment to rest. Attempts to relax the scientist led to a kiss, which the man got scared and ran away. Some time later, flustered, he returned and made Brand understand what the needed to change on the machine. She presented the whole matter to the sprinters, informing them that they would need something extraordinary to power the machine, generating huge amounts of energy.
H.R. and Tracy worked on the device knowing there was little time left. After a few hours, Barry brought the element needed to power the bazooka, which he and Leonard Snart had acquired. In the meantime, she learned the identity of the sprinter, who decided that a woman should know this because they entrust her with their lives. Savitar turned out to be smarter and pretended to be Allen, getting information from H.R. about the location of Iris. Tracy therefore realized that she did not have much time for destiny to be fulfilled soon. She got the device ready and with the team went to Infantino Street, where she activated the device and gave it to Flash while fighting the enemy.
During this time, Wells spoke to Cisco, whom he apologized for everything, considering it all to be his fault. Ramon asked the man to take care of the lab while he was away, which the writer promised by answering "until next time".
- "Please tell Cisco: this took strength and he gave it to me."
- —H.R. Wells to Barry Allen about Cisco Ramon [src]
After unintentionally revealing Iris West's location on Earth-2, H.R. stricken by the guilt of letting Iris be captured, uses Savitar's severed metal claw to locate the speedster. He then released Iris from the chains being bound in. Before the two could escape, Savitar and Killer Frost noticed and H.R. had no choice but to use the facial transmogrification device to switch places with Iris. Before Savitar realized that H.R. had taken Iris's place, Savitar fatally stabbed him, altering the timeline and allowing Team Flash to erase Savitar from existence. He would turn off the facial transmogrification device, revealing he was stabbed and Iris escaped. Before dying, he told Tracy that she was brilliant and that he loved her. He also asked Barry to pass on a message to Cisco. H.R. died in Barry's arms while Tracy sadly watched.
Despite dying at the hands of Savitar rather than dying during the Anti-Monitor Crisis, H.R.'s brainwaves survived and were channeled into his last surviving doppelgänger, Nash Wells, along with the rest of the Harrison Wellses of the original multiverse.
Powering the artificial Speed Force
- "I love this part."
- —H.R. Wells presenting a solution with other Wellses[src]
H.R. worked with Harry, Sherloque, and a previously unknown Harrison Orson Wells in brainstorming and presenting Nash with a plan that would possibly allow Barry to get his speed back: Nash, being full of multiversal energy from all the Harrison Wellses, would use himself as the fuel for the artificial Speed Force.
One upside of the plan is that Nash would finally be free of the other Wellses, though as this plan was not fully fleshed out, they had theorized it would also cost Nash's life as well, leading him to initially decline. When Nash had Allegra use her wavelength powers on the Artificial Speed Force generator, they accidentally sent the Wellses' brainwaves into Barry Allen.
H.R. briefly reappeared in Barry's body and played his drumsticks. However, after Barry fainted, this situation was revealed to be endangering his life, since his mind couldn't contain an infinite number of brainwaves, and he was only kept alive through the remaining Speed Force in his body. Nash eventually went through with sacrificing himself to power the new Speed Force.
- "Hey, B.A. How's it going? He's so fast. Oh, no. B.A., don't be upset. This... this is not goodbye. It's just... 'till our next communion."
- —H.R.’s final words to Barry Allen[src]
Allegra and Chester returned the Wellses' brainwaves to Nash. Nash decided the only way for Barry to get his speed back was to sacrifice his life and he touched the fusion sphere. While Nash transferred the particles, H.R. briefly resurfaced to say farewell to Barry, again, before his energy was absorbed into the artificial Speed Force.
In the original timeline where Savitar succeeded in killing Iris, Barry pushed everybody away from S.T.A.R. Labs and H.R. subsequently closed the S.T.A.R. Labs Museum and moved on to "better things". At some point H.R. became a famous author on Earth-1 publishing many best sellers novels. He also bought CC Jitters and renamed it "H.R. Jitters".
In 2024 H.R. wrote a best selling novel called "The Streak vs Mister Reflecto". During a reading at H.R. Jitters, where H.R. was also secretly trying to seduce 3 women, he was kidnapped by a younger version of Barry from 2017 before Iris' death along with Joe, Julian and Cisco. 2017 Barry apologized for how things turned but convinced them to help him stop Mirror Master and Top, and the team happily reunited as H.R. was also reunited with his drumsticks. After 2017 Barry and 2024 Barry defeated the criminals together 2024 Barry apologized for pushing them away and asked them to give him a chance to make things right which they all agreed on. H.R. then happily proposed they have drinks at Jitters to celebrate Team Flash's reunion.
- "H.R. understood life. He wasn't a genius, and he didn't have super-speed. But when we needed him the most, he was a hero. He was my hero."
- —Iris West at H.R.'s funeral[src]
- "The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why."
- —Mark Twain, H.R.'s tombstone[src]
H.R.'s death was avenged when Iris West fatally shot Savitar as he prepared to attack Barry Allen, before Savitar was erased from the timeline (due to his actions, who sacrificed his life to ensure that Savitar would never be created).
H.R. saved Iris West and was remembered as a hero by the team, alongside the other members who died. Even Harry Wells, who labelled H.R. as a moron and despised him prior to his sacrifice, could not help but respect him after his death.
While everyone in Team Flash sat waiting for the Anti-Monitor Crisis to arrive, believing that these were their last moments with Barry Allen who was destined to vanish in an apparent death, Cecile mentioned one of H.R.'s quotes about Barry.
H.R. would be remembered for his sacrifice alongside the other Wellses in order to grant Barry his powers back. H.R's name was nano-engraved onto the wall to protect his memory from any timeline changes. His drumsticks would be placed on display with other notable Wells objects like Harry's glasses, Sherloque's brandy bottle, and Nash's bandolier in the "Hall of Fallen Heroes" in S.T.A.R. Labs.
Though the artificial Speed Force had adverse effects on Barry and was destroyed, their sacrifice was not in vain as 0.01% of the particles were used to resurrect the Earth-Prime Harrison Wells, who assisted in bringing the original Speed Force back and granting Barry his powers again.
H.R. was shown to be very humble, with a laid-back yet upbeat demeanor. Friendly and eager to try new experiences, he jumped at the chance to travel to a new universe and help in crime-fighting; though he knew Earth-19 would send a collector after him eventually. He had a strong sense of humor, having his entrance to Earth-1 as a set up for a joke. Even Caitlin noted "Wells with a sense of humor, that's new". Being the face of S.T.A.R. Labs on Earth-19, he had acquired qualities of a charismatic leader. A team player, he quickly shown when joining Team Flash a desire to connect with everyone, have learned all he could about his allies, brewed coffee to everyone's personal taste, and even suggested a "corporate bonding" game. H.R.'s adventurous side, along with his proclaimed helping with his Earth's Flash, also showed itself in his hobby of writing books. After being found out by Team Flash, H.R. still tried to keep the jokey demeanor and sell his "idea person" act to his teammates.
Like Harry Wells, H.R. was not without his own feelings of guilt. Hating having spent much of his life as a charlatan and being praised for false accomplishments, he wants to start fresh on Earth-1, proving that he can still contribute to something great despite not being a genius like his other known doppelgängers. At the same time, he appear to want to emulate them more, as he has been trying to learn more about science and listens to stories from the team about what great accomplishments they performed. H.R. knows about Cisco's past bond with Eobard Thawne. As noted in his recording, H.R. hopes he can help Cisco recover from the pain of Eobard's betrayal. When Barry Allen and Cisco rummaged through his personal belongings, trying to vibe who he really is, Wells dropped the cheerful act, addressing Cisco in an emotionless, almost-threatening voice, eerily similar to that of Thawne; though it was because his privacy was being invaded. He's also shown to be a ladies man as he told Caitlin Snow that he was single when he first met Caitlin and was able to seduce Cecile Horton with his sense of humor.
H.R. also had a desire to help people realize their true potential, as upon seeing Wally West's natural talent with his newfound speed and strong desire to help people with it, H.R. decided to helped train Wally and develop the youth's powers. H.R. was shown to be a big celebrator of Christmas, a holiday also celebrated on Earth-19. He was shown to have actually decorated the cortex of S.T.A.R. Labs, and even put on an ugly sweater. When everyone was down about their recent fight with Savitar, H.R. reminded them it was the holidays and actually got them to celebrate.
Despite the bravado personality, H.R. had an extremely brave side. This could have added on to the guilt of his actions during his life. H.R was brave enough to sacrifice his own life to break Savitar's time loop and to save Iris West.
Even after his Post-Crisis return, H.R. had zero hesitation when it came to the prospect of sacrificing himself once again, this time to power the artificial Speed Force. He still possessed his humble, upbeat demeanor, taking the time to comfort Barry before saying goodbye.
Powers and abilities
- "But so much fun , huh? I love all the brainstorming. Plus, we get all the Wellses back together again."
- —H.R. Wells to Nash Wells [src]
- Bond with Harrison Nash Wells: After the destruction and subsequent restoration of the multiverse, all the Harrison Wells of the multiverse relocated their consciences into the mind the the sole surviving Wells, Nash. Due to this bond, H.R. and the other Wells can communicate with their host.
- Illusion manipulation: Due to H.R. and the other Wellses' consciences living in Nash's mind, they can communicate with their host in the form of illusions and hallucinations. H.R. appeared with Harry, Sherloque, and Harrison Orson Wells to discuss their solution to the energy source for the artificial Speed Force machine.
- "There are two parts to every idea. There is the inception and the execution. I provide the former."
"So you come up with the ideas?"
"Yeah, I don't know how to implement them. I'm the idea man."
- —H.R. and Iris West[src]
- High-level intellect/Great business acumen/Leader: Although lacking the breadth of scientific knowledge possessed by H.R.'s other doppelgängers, he had a deeply creative intellect. H.R. describes himself as an "ideas man", with his excellent insight into the motives and actions of others and ability to swiftly provide creative solutions to problems at hand proving useful to the team despite his inability to execute his ideas himself. He claimed to have been a key strategic consultant to the Flash of his earth during his conflict with the meta-humans, helping him capture them and was crucial to instigating the World War M that would cement the Flash's victory over the remaining meta-humans. As a best-selling author, he is very articulate, publishing many famous novels regarding his alliance with the Flash, and in an erased future, he was once again able to publish many best-selling novels on Earth 1, becoming a famous author. H.R. is also shown to be a very thorough man, as upon joining Team Flash, has studied all the files of criminals the Flash has encountered on Earth-1. Despite his original lack of scientific skills, he has since been improving, able to create an accurate hologram of Cisco Ramon, although it did glitch out, shouting at random intervals. While not a scientist, H.R. was an exceptionally skilled businessman and proved to be a very effective and charismatic corporate leader, being able to effectively lead S.T.A.R. Labs as both the large corporation's CEO and face for years so well he was even named Entrepreneur of the Decade by Tech Magazine, as noted by Ramon, designing many well-thought business plans that allowed him to conceal his lack of scientific skills for years. Even after being exposed as a phony scientist, H.R. proved his leadership skills to Team Flash, effectively keeping the team well-organized. In an alternate future, despite lacking any wealth, H.R. was able to somehow secure the funds needed to buy CC Jitters and run it well, renaming it into H.R. Jitters. H.R. also trained Wally to handle his superspeed, allowing the latter to become significantly faster than Barry initially was.
- Skilled thief: H.R. was a skilled heist planner, even writing a few of his books on the topic of heists. To prove his mastery of thievery to Cisco Ramon, H.R. stole a hidden Pop-Tart from Wally West with a remote controlled robot.
- Expert of deception: Much like Harry, H.R. Was a skilled actor. Before being exposed, he was able to pretend to be the face of S.T.A.R. Labs for years despite not understanding science at all. Using this same skill, he convinced the Earth-1 Team Flash that he was still an accomplished scientist, beating out all other versions of Harrison Wells in the recruitment process. While impersonating Iris just before his death, he managed to act like her enough that both Barry and Savitar, a future version of Barry, bought the act.
- "So she asks me "Do you speak another language?" And I tell her "sure. As long as I know the words"."
- —HR explaining his language proficiency in a joke
- Acrobatics: Like H.R.'s Earth-2 counterpart, he could do a dolphin dive, albeit less skillfully and gracefully than Harry.
- Drawing: H.R. could make detailed drawings to illustrate his points.
- Drumsticks: H.R. brought a pair of drumming sticks with him, as he constantly uses a stick akin to a magic wand, punctuating his words or fidgeting with it. The drumsticks were later placed on his grave to honor his sacrifice.Post-Crisis, they were put in the Hall of Fallen heroes.
- Earth-19 currency: When H.R. relocated to Earth-1, he brought with him a handful of coins that served as currency on his Earth. Among these coins was at least one Helbing. While not shown, H.R. has mentioned that, on Earth-19, a $100 banknote featured the portrait of Abe Lincoln.
- Facial transmogrification device: H.R. used a special holographic device to make his face appear identical to that of his partner, Randolf Morgan, hiding his true identity. The device is so advanced that it can even fool cameras and retinal scanners. The device also sophisticated enough that allows certain people to still perceive the user with their true face. This is done by the device emitting a flash that causes a retinal adjustment for those nearby. He used this device to impersonate Iris the night of his death.
- Recording device: Using this device, H.R. Wells makes entries regarding his interactions with Team Flash, for the sake of his upcoming novel The Tales of H.R. Wells.
Freedom Fighters: The Ray
The Chronicles of Cisco
- Unlike Harry Wells being forced to stay in S.T.A.R. Labs away from the public, H.R. has a facial transmogrification device to disguise himself when in public to avoid being mistaken for Eobard Thawne. However, the alternative 2024 shows he that has a book published with his face on it. This could mean that he either passed himself off as a relative, or clone, to the public.
- According to H.R. himself, he doesn't have any kids of his own, making Harry and Wells 2.0 the only known doppelgängers of Harrison Wells known to be a father so far.
- Despite initially being scolded for lying about being a genius, H.R. is actually better liked than most of his other doppelgängers due to his warm and friendly joker side.
- Due to Gypsy lying that he's dead to the authorities back on Earth-19, H.R. was stuck living on Earth-1. With his death in "", Gypsy's statement is now true.
- The epitaph on his grave suggests H.R. saw the purpose of his life was to save Iris West and ensure Savitar's defeat.
- H.R. is referred to as the "fake Wells" and later on as "the pretender" and "the coward" by Savitar. Savitar also seems to resent H.R. more than anyone on Team Flash except Barry, stating that he regretted H.R. surviving his wrath. Savitar's hatred might be due to H.R. not being any help with science and having a history of being a charlatan.
- H.R. has a habit of giving characters nicknames or addressing them by full name, calling Barry "B.A.", Cisco "San Francisco" and his full name, Wally "Walter" and "Wallace", and Julian "Julius" and "James" (referencing his British accent).
- When talking to Cisco and Caitlin at the West family's Christmas party, H.R. drunkenly referred to them "Caitlo" and "Ciscan".
- Perhaps due to his hobby in writing books, H.R. is fascinated by soap operas.
- One of his favorite foods is lime Jell-O.
- It's suggested H.R. might be into BDSM, as when accused of stealing Cisco's Power-dampening cuffs (which Caitlin actually took), H.R. retorted, "I haven't met anyone yet. It's gonna take a while, even when I do meet them, to get to the cuff stage."
- In "", H.R. is absent until Abra Kadabra is taken to Earth-19 and later returns, recalling being away with a woman and "trying new things".
- H.R. is the second version of Harrison Wells to die after his Earth-1 doppelgänger, not including Eobard. However, he is the first version of Wells that is a main character who has died.
- It is revealed in "" that H.R. brushes his teeth in small circles, unlike Harry, who brushes his teeth front to back.
- According to Caitlin, HR does inversion stretches; which Cisco implies he had the misfortune of seeing. 
Behind the scenes
- His nickname "H.R. Wells" is a nod to famous fiction writer H.G. Wells, as well as the fact that he is an author.
- H.G. Wells appeared in .
- H.R. Wells shares some similarities with the DC Comics character Abra Kadabra, using a drumming stick as if it was a magic wand (even replicating Abra's signature bowing pose in "") and putting a grandiose presentation before Team Flash when arriving to Earth-1, all the while hiding his true intentions. Also, in the "Trial of the Flash" comic arc, Abra Kadabra used his futuristic technology to impersonate Eobard Thawne, whom Tom Cavanagh has also portrayed on ; similarly, H.R. used futuristic technology to appear in the guise of Randolf Morgan. Additionally, Joe West noticed that H.R. has a "psychotic need to make other people like him no matter what", which is very reminiscent of Abra Kadabra's constant thirst for approval, applause and adoration. Notably, H.R.'s main target for fishing out approval ended up Wally West, whom Abra Kadabra is obsessed about as the greatest Flash, whose defeat would earn Abra unimaginable fame.
- H.R. Wells switching his appearance with Iris West is another similarity to the "Trial of the Flash" comic arc, in which Iris's time-traveling consciousness possessed one of the (male) jurors of the trial, guiding him against the dangers of Abra Kadabra's plot.
- All's Wells that Ends Wells (non-fiction; on motivational speeches)
- H.R. Romance Series
- The Streak vs. Mister Reflecto (erased future)
- The Future Ain't What It Used to Be
- The Tales of H.R. Wells (unreleased)
List of individuals he nicknamed
- An unnamed man as "Shade"
- Cisco Ramon as "San Francisco"
- Himself as "H.R. Randolf"
- Barry Allen as "B.A."
- Wally West as "Walter" (used only once)
- Julian Albert as "Julius" and "James"
- Caitlin Snow and Cisco Ramon as "Caitlo" and "Ciscan"
- Jared Morillo as "Plunder"
- Harry Wells as "Hard Hat"
|Other versions of Harrison Wells (Earth-19)|
|To see other versions of this character, click the Earth name below for that Earth's counterpart of Harrison Wells.|
|Earth: 1 • 2 • 12 • 13 • 17 • 19 • 22 • 24 • 25 • 27 • 47 • 221 • TUD1 • TUD2 • TUD12 • TUD20 • TUD23 • Netherverse • Eobard Thawne|