Dr. Henry Hewitt, nicknamed Tokamak by Caitlin Snow, is a meta-human who was affected by the S.T.A.R. Labs particle accelerator explosion and gained the ability to absorb and generate fire-like energy, thus having similar abilities to Firestorm. His powers didn't surface, however, until an unsuccessful attempt by Team Flash to fuse him with a dying Martin Stein through the use of Firestorm Matrix. Following said attempt, Henry turned into a raging, vindictive meta-human with the ability to absorb and generate deadly energy.
Henry Hewitt graduated summa cum laude from Hudson University with a double major in Applied Physics and Biomedical Engineering.
Henry also had a criminal record for one count of battery and two counts of aggravated assault, which led to a court order for anger management therapy.
Firestorm candidacy and revenge
In late 2015, Henry was called to S.T.A.R. Labs by Dr. Caitlin Snow because his molecular structure made him one of two perfect matches for the Firestorm Matrix to save the unstable Martin Stein. While the pair seemed like a perfect match due to their backgrounds as scientists, they failed to converge twice. Henry was irked and disappointed, berating Caitlin for getting his hopes up over nothing. As he left, Henry's meta-human powers began to surface, his hand glowing red.
Back at his science lab, Henry's superior grilled him over his tardiness and work ethic, causing the latter to erupt into a tirade, his body glowing in a red aura just like his hand. Though glad to have power, Henry was still angry that he couldn't be Firestorm and attacked Caitlin while she was talking to Jefferson Jackson (the other candidate for Martin) in an attempt to kill her for what she did to him.
Henry later absorbed the energy from the lights of the football stadium at Jackson's alma mater as The Flash and a newly formed Firestorm teamed together to defeat him. Initially, the battle seemed in Henry's favor as the stronger he grew, the more enraged he became. However, the two heroes managed to overload Henry's power by provoking his anger, before subduing him.
At first, Henry came off as a well-meaning young man, apart from being particularly confident about his "destiny" to aspire to greater things, but as soon as things didn't follow his expectations he quickly shows his true colors; hot-headed and temperamental.
Henry's anger causes him to lash out at people, threatening and later assaulting people who have annoyed and disappointed him, his anger being derived from his bloated ego.
As Cisco pointed it out, Henry had an immense ego, something the latter would demonstrate by berating and threatening his own boss for scrutinizing him, or towards Caitlin Snow for getting his hopes up of becoming the new half of the Firestorm entity.
True to his ego, Henry felt entitled and openly slandered Jefferson Jackson for replacing him, believing and saying out loud that he deserved the Firestorm Matrix.
It appeared that Henry's anger issues were greatly amplified after his powers have resurfaced, fueling him with rage and energy. A confident, if boastful, man before the mutation, his meta-human side brought out the worst of his character.
Powers and abilities
- Meta-human physiology: After Henry was struck by the energy of the Particle Accelerator explosion, this altered his DNA and supercharged his cells, augmenting his physiology into beyond peak human condition.
- Genius-level intellect/Expert scientist: Henry is very intelligent, having graduated summa cum laude from the prestigious Hudson University. He is regarded by Caitlin Snow to be one of the best scientists in Central City.
- Emotional instability: Although Henry's rage makes his abilities more powerful, it will eventually overload him if unchecked and render him unconscious.
Behind the scenes
- In physics, a tokamak is a device used to regulate and contain plasma in the shape of a torus (a circular pattern) with the use of a magnetic field.
- In the DC comics, Tokamak is the supervillain identity of Henry Hewitt, a man who tries recreating the accident which created Firestorm, in the process gaining the power to trap objects into an energy ring, hence the name "Tokamak".
|Other versions of Henry Hewitt|
|To see other versions of this character, click the Earth name below for that Earth's counterpart of Henry Hewitt.|
|Earth: 1 • 2|