- "You grow more intelligent and capable by the day. And your assistance comes without ambition, drama, or ego."
- "That's why you built me."
- —Lena Luthor and Hope[src]
Hope was an artificial intelligence (A.I.) created by Lena Luthor. In October 2019, she, as referred to by Lena, inhabited and overrode Eve Teschmacher's body and neurological processes to help with her creator's projects. In a alternate timeline created by Mr. Mxyzptlk, Hope is an army of autonomous robotic lexosuits, dubbed the H.O.P.E. robots by Lena. Eve's mind and body were taken over by Hope. However, this was all erased by the Crisis.
Hope was created by Lena Luthor sometime in October 2019 to help her achieve her new goals in removing the faults she sees in humanity. Hope was then programmed to make a series of simulations centered around killing Supergirl.
Lena is in her office trying to untangle the DNA in order to help manipulate it, still on her quest to help the human race. But unable to find the answers, Hope accesses Eve Teschmacher's memories to reveal the answers are in Lex's old journals. Knowing they are locked away and she can't get to them, she decides to incorporate Supergirl into her plan. Supergirl finds Lena at her apartment to give her Lex's journals. Down in Lena's basement after reading over them she is unable to decipher them. Though Hope is and soon has the answers ready for her. Lena and Hope are still working with Q-wave frequency but are at a dead end however when Alex calls her for assistance in apprehending a rogue Green Martian by helping Brainy adjust the Phantom zone projector's wavelengths to prevent Malefic from phasing through, using J'onn as a test dummy. Their hopes are restored.
Hope is kind, caring, polite, well-mannered and respectful, she generally follows the orders of Lena Luthor without hesitation, Hope believes in going to the absolute end of what she perceives of Lena's goals. As seen when she didn't understand when Lena didn't want to reveal Kara Danvers' secret identity as Supergirl to the public.
- Technopathy: As Hope is an AI, she can perform calculations much faster than any human ever could and run programs simultaneously within a nanosecond such as deciphering Lex Luthors journals which were encrypted using polyalphabetic substitution, Lex's version of a veneer siphon which Lena described as deceptively clever, However, as with all AI is shown to stick to their programming her base code is morality, empathy and logic and as so is incapable of hurting a living being or having a selfish inclination.
- Simulation creation: Hope can make a series of detailed simulations, being able to make them feel real to Lena Luthor. As seen when she created a simulation for Lena to exercise out her hate of Kara Danvers.
- Biological body inhabiting: Hope can inhabit the body of Eve Teschmacher with the help of Lena.
Erased timeline functions
- Flight: H.O.P.E. robots contains high powered propulsion jets on the back allowing the wearer to fly with great speed.
- Energy projection: H.O.P.E. robots can create focused blasts of green energy. Due to it being the same color as Kryptonite it is most likely powered by Kryptonite hence could harm Kryptonians.
Behind the Scenes
- In the DC Comics, there are two characters named Hope, who are connected to the Luthors:
- Hope Taya is Lex Luthor's bodyguard along with her partner, Mercy Graves. Very little is known about her past but she is of Amazon heritage. Of the two, Hope is the good cop, acting calm and benevolent to Mercy's hotheadedness.
- A super-powered gynoid named "Hope", created by Lex Luthor to become Metropolis' new hero. Acting as a corporate-sponsored hero, Hope gained a following in Metropolis, as part of a plan to undermine Superman.