- For the speedster whose identity he stole, see Jay Garrick.
- For other uses of "The Flash", see The Flash (disambiguation).
- "You can't lock up the darkness."
- —Hunter Zolomon[src]
Hunter Zolomon was a meta-human speedster from Earth-2. Years after witnessing his father murder his mother when he was a child, Hunter became a serial killer. Following the S.T.A.R. Labs particle accelerator explosion, Hunter was affected during electroshock therapy by the dark matter emitted, giving him superhuman speed and various other abilities derived from it. Following this, he escaped and began acting as the supervillain known as Zoom, stylized as the Speed Demon. Later, using Velocity serums, Hunter managed to artificially increase his speed to the point where he could break the dimensional barrier. Having gotten tired of being the villain, Hunter decided to become the "hero" as Jay Garrick/the Flash, stylized as the Crimson Comet, borrowing the name from the speedster he found on another Earth and kept as prisoner. He created the charade in order to instill false hope—hope that would be ripped away.
Discovering the existence of Barry Allen/The Flash on Earth-1, Hunter traveled to the other Earth and acted as a friend and mentor, apparently training to fight Zoom, but actually planning to increase Barry's speed to eventually take it for himself. During that time, he and Caitlin Snow formed a romantic relationship. Hunter eventually killed a time remnant of himself to give Barry a reason to avenge "Jay" and increase his speed even further, only for his true identity to be discovered by Team Flash soon after. Shortly after, intending to break Barry emotionally, he murders Henry Allen, thus being indirectly responsible for Barry's timeline change. After losing a race to Barry and attempting to destroy the multiverse, Time Wraiths appeared and imprisoned Hunter in the Speed Force, while reducing him to a decayed spectre-like form known as Black Flash, similar to that of the Time Wraiths.
He returned a short time later in the post-Flashpoint timeline as a mindless being bound to the will of the Speed Force for all eternity, while hunting down a time remnant of Eobard Thawne who existed in the new timeline due to Flashpoint, but was not supposed to exist because of ancestor Eddie Thawne's suicide. After Eobard and the Legion of Doom assembled the Spear of Destiny and changed reality, Zolomon was held captive by Eobard in S.T.A.R. Labs. After the timeline was restored, Zolomon chased down a future version of Eobard who had traveled to 1916 to ensure the Legends wouldn't stop him from altering reality with the Spear of Destiny, and killed Eobard, also erasing all of Eobard's time remnants. He was later sent after Savitar as the time remnant tried to send fragments of himself through time using the Speed Force, only to be frozen and shattered by Killer Frost.
In the creation of the new multiverse, Zolomon's history was re-written, where he was apparently from Earth-Prime instead and marched on Central City with his meta-human army. However, much like the original multiverse he was ultimately defeated by Team Flash.
Hunter was born to James and Ashley Zolomon in Central City. When he was 11 years old, Hunter came downstairs to find his father abusing his mother, demanding respect following service in the War of the Americas. Noticing Hunter, Ashley pleaded for him to run but James took him in front of Ashley, giving the silver helmet to Hunter and is forced to watch as his father murdered his mother. Shortly after, James was sent to prison, causing Hunter to be placed at an orphanage as none of his relatives wanted to take him in.
Serial killings and obtaining super speed
Hunter claimed he was a scientist with a significant solo operation specializing in chemistry and physics and began working on a way to purify heavy water without residual radiation. But given his deceptive nature, it's unknown if any of this is true, though Hunter did display scientific aptitude, as he was the one who created the Velocity serums.
What is known is that Hunter developed a bloodlust, having been triggered by witnessing his mother's murder, and became a serial killer. When Hunter was finally arrested, he was convicted on 23 counts of murder and sent to the Saint Perez Mental Asylum for the Criminally Insane. But when Harrison Wells's particle accelerator exploded with waves of dark matter were sent through the city, Hunter was affected during daily electroshock therapy, giving him the power of super speed. Still plagued by an incurable bloodlust, Hunter decided to use his powers to terrorize Central City.
Dissatisfied with the speed he already had but too impatient/emotionally damaged to increase it naturally, Hunter sought to increase and developed one of the first versions of the Velocity serums to drastically increase his speedster might. Once gaining enough speed, he adopted a villainous identity as "Zoom". As one of his first acts of violence, he lured 15 members of the Central City Police Department on Earth-2 into a trap to demonstrate his power and how he couldn't be stopped. Zoom viciously murdered all but one officer so that the survivor could live and tell the tale. After that officer relayed the story, Zoom returned to the man's home that night to be killed as well. The story given by the last surviving officer resulted in Zoom gaining his moniker.
Though successful in making himself faster, the Velocity drug had deadly side-effects and afflicted him with an illness that was killing him. Additionally, the Velocity drug turned Hunter's lightning blue. Desperate to save himself, Hunter set out to find a cure throughout the multiverse regardless of how many people had to die. Around the same time, he also fought with another speedster in attempt to absorb the man's speed. He defeated the speedster and tried to absorb the man's speed but couldn't. So he took the man prisoner and put a mask on that prevented from using his speed or talking. It was this time when he decided to disguise as a hero, to give the people false hope taking the speedster's name and alter ego "Jay Garrick" and cleaned himself up. With this new identity, Hunter assumed the identity "The Flash" operating as a hero. As Flash, he protected Central City from numerous other metahuman criminals including Atom-Smasher, Sand Demon and Dr. Light. He also had a statue built in his honor for his service as Flash. However, Hunter soon found himself being relentlessly pursued by Time Wraiths, monstrous beings devoted to punishing speedsters who misuse their time-travel powers. Despite this, he still employed the use of time remnants, though he would be more wary of manipulating the timeline.
To maintain control over the city, Zoom sought out almost every metahuman in Central City and forced to serve him, and killed the ones who refused. Among those Zoom employed were Killer Frost, Deathstorm, Reverb, Rupture, King Shark, and Black Siren as his enforcers to keep Central City's criminal gangs in line. However, his enforcers were under strict rules not to kill any speedsters they may encounter, a rule if violated was punishable by death.
One day, after learning that Dr. Wells was responsible for the existence of meta-humans, Flash arrived at S.T.A.R. Labs when Dr. Wells presented several new gadgets designed to detect meta-humans, and accused Dr. Wells directly of these crimes in front of the public. However, Dr. Wells claimed not to know of Flash's accusations, and Flash was disgusted with Wells not taking responsibility for these mistakes, begging to make things right and "help" him "stop Zoom". However, Dr. Wells coldly told him everyone in Central City would be safe if he would stop Zoom and The Flash sped off in seeming disgust. The next day Zoom attacked Central City College and kidnapped Jesse Wells, Harry's daughter, to later blackmail Wells into helping him, imprisoning Jesse in his lair alongside his prisoner. Moments after the kidnapping occurred, Hunter quickly returned as "The Flash" to cover up for his "absence".
As claimed by Hunter, on May 19, 2015 while Flash and Zoom "fought", a singularity opened above them which Flash was pulled into and ended up on Earth-1. But in truth, Zoom simply saw The Flash running in the singularity.
Being on Earth-1
Being a part of Team Flash
Hunter confirmed the existence of The Flash of Earth-1 and spent the next six months piecing together clues and eventually learned his target's identity Barry Allen, along with other details of his life. Knowing that Barry's Speed Force held the answer to curing himself, Hunter plotted to steal it. To expedite Barry's accumulation of Speed, he, as Zoom, began sending meta-human villains from Earth-2 to Earth-1 to fight Flash, ensuring their co-operation by refusing to bring them back to Earth-2 until they succeeded in killing Barry, though in reality Zoom had no intention of allowing Barry to die except by his hand. The first meta-human candidate was Al Rothstein/Atom-Smasher, who Zoom dragged to Earth-1 via one of the 52 breaches across Central City on Earth-1, and promised safe passage home in exchange for killing Flash, to which he agreed. Hunter also learned the names of Barry's then-current team members: Caitlin Snow, Cisco Ramon, Joe West, Iris West, and Martin Stein. As Hunter watched Flash being honored at the "Flash Day" festival, he witnessed Atom-Smasher from his Earth attack Flash.
Following Atom-Smasher's defeat, Hunter arrived at S.T.A.R. Labs, bypassed their newly installed security, introduced himself, and claimed that their world was in danger. Hunter introduced himself as Jay and explained to the skeptical team that the singularity had, in fact, opened a portal to his Earth through which other meta-humans had traveled, and that in his world he was a speedster named The Flash. Hunter also told them of his "enemy" Zoom and the circumstances of his arrival, but a skeptical Barry asked Hunter to be tested to see if he really was a speedster. Hunter did so willingly, and explained his story of being a scientist to Caitlin, but Barry was still skeptical and had Hunter put in the pipeline prison. Hunter agreed to this, but tried to convince Barry that if Zoom had already sent Atom-Smasher, he would send others. Hunter also subjected himself to a full body scan upon Caitlin's request, and was tested on Barry's treadmill. However, Zoom also brought Sand Demon over with the same offer he made Atom-Smasher, to kill Flash and would return home and Sand Demon agreed. Once Sand Demon attacked Barry, Hunter offered his help to the team. However, Barry declined, believing they didn't need his help, and Hunter was locked back up in the pipeline.
After Sand Demon abducted Patty Spivot, Barry was finally forced to listen to Hunter and release him, and he told them Sand Demon's methods of attack; causing a diversion then attacking while the target is distracted. Hunter also told them Barry was going to defeat Sand Demon by harnessing the lightning that radiated from him while running, and hurling it at Sand Demon to turn him to glass. Hunter begun teaching Barry but after an hour Barry had no luck in hitting his target and Barry believed he couldn't do it, though Hunter insisted that he could. However, Barry told Hunter of a previous mentor, a man Barry idolized, who taught Barry how to get faster and stronger but was also the man who murdered Barry's mother. Hunter expressed his sympathies but insisted he wasn't the same guy. Cisco and Professor Stein informed Hunter and Barry of Sand Demon's location and Barry suggested using Hunter as a distraction since Sand Demon was unaware of his lack of speed. When asked if Hunter had his suit, he confirmed, except his helmet, and Barry confirmed it was the same one that came through the portal 6 months before. Finally believing Hunter, he and Barry suited up and headed to Sand Demon's location.
Flash (Barry) sped Flash (Hunter) into the greenhouse where Sand Demon was surprised to see Flash (Hunter) alive and engaged him, despite lacking his speed, and Flash (Hunter) distracted Sand Demon in order for Flash (Barry) to rescue Patty. Sand Demon started choking Flash (Hunter), while Flash (Barry) used super speed to kill Sand Demon as recently taught, and both Flashes came to Patty's aid. Hunter was tended to by Caitlin and confessed to missing his speed. Barry thanked Hunter for his help and apologized for the lack of trust. Hunter equally commended Barry for the efforts in taking down Sand Demon but worried that Zoom would not be so easily defeated, since he claimed to have spent two years searching for Zoom, with no success and explained that his hate for Barry comes from his obsession with wanting to be the only speedster in the multiverse. Professor Stein was able to confirm the location of the largest breach from the singularity beneath S.T.A.R. Labs, but Stein collapsed and Hunter tended to Stein.
After admitting Stein to the hospital, Hunter studied the breach in S.T.A.R. Labs but was unable to successfully pass anything into it, instead anything that touched it bounced back off, even Barry at high speed wasn't able to breach the portal. As Hunter continued his work, he confided in Caitlin his worry of what he'd do once he returned home without his speed, admitting to having enjoyed the rush of speed, but Caitlin insisted that Hunter's scientific expertise were just as important as his speed. Later after finally fixing the portal's alignment Hunter decided it was time to head home to learn what Zoom was plotting and how he stole his speed, but Caitlin insisted Hunter could look for Zoom on Earth-1, and Barry further noted he could use more speed tips. After consideration, Hunter agreed to stay until Zoom was defeated. After Slick's defeat Zoom sent in "King Shark" from his world to kill the Flash.
Hunter was informed of Harry Wells at S.T.A.R. Labs and Hunter arrived in time to hear a plan to capture Dr. Light and to use to lure Zoom to S.T.A.R. Labs, but Hunter immediately scolded Harry for this plan. Harry was surprised to see Hunter alive but mockingly accused him of hiding from Zoom, but Hunter told the circumstances of his arrival, yet Harry wasn't entirely convinced, causing the two to argue. Barry eventually intervened, stating they needed to focus on catching Dr. Light in order for their plan to work. After facing Dr. Light, Barry was blinded by Dr. Light's powers and Harry scolded Barry for trying to talk rather than fight, but Hunter defended Barry who elaborated that Dr. Light looked exactly like Linda Park. Out of concern Barry tried to leave to warn Earth-1 Linda about Earth-2 Linda but repeatedly walked right into walls, as Hunter told Barry he was to stay put until his sight returned and he and Caitlin left to warn Linda.
Hunter and Caitlin staked out in a van and discussed Hunter's "history" with Zoom where he claimed that Zoom scared him, "admitting" to not facing Zoom sometimes when he should have. Despite Caitlin insisting he and Harry talk, Hunter claimed Harry couldn't be trusted, since Harry happily profited from meta-human activities, but knew something had changed. As Hunter and Caitlin continued to talk the two almost shared a kiss before Dr. Light wrecked the van they were in, knocking Hunter and Caitlin out. Hunter regained consciousness and arrived at Central City Picture News too late to save Linda's boss, but the very sight of Hunter made the Earth-2 Linda too scared to murder Earth-1 Linda and fled.
As Caitlin tended to Hunter, he apologized to Barry for underestimating Dr. Light but Harry only further scolded Hunter, claiming that his doubt puts Barry at doubt and that Barry is ready to face Zoom. Furthermore, Harry claimed Hunter didn't hunt Zoom but was the one to be hunted, and Hunter "admitted" to being terrified of Zoom, but stood his ground that Barry facing Zoom now would only result in death. After Harry called Hunter a coward, the two got into a heated fight which was only broken up by Barry. Hunter was present when Harry announced a plan to find Dr. Light was to give Dr. Light's helmet to Cisco, revealing Cisco was secretly a meta-human. After some effort, Cisco's powers of astral projection finds Dr. Light at the train station. At the station, Flash asked Hunter for advice but he was unsure of how to beat Light until Harry told Flash how to create speed mirages, but Flash initially was unsuccessful. Hunter, however, insisted Barry could do it, stating Barry was a better speedster and hero than he ever was, and with this inspiration Flash was able to beat Dr. Light.
Returning to his lair on Earth-2, Zoom taunted Jesse of Harry's disappearance, claiming Harry left Jesse behind. However, Jesse didn't believe him and declared Harry would return and kill him. Zoom simply mocked Jesse's convictions and reminded that the fates of Jesse and Harry were still undecided before speeding off. "Learning" that Harry had gone to Earth-1, Zoom returned and interrogated Jesse to find out why, but Jesse insisted of not knowing. Zoom, who actually knew the answer due to his confrontation with Harry, commended the loyalty before torturing Jesse.
With Dr. Light secured in the Pipeline, Barry decided to go through with Harry's plan. Hunter, however, protested against it, declaring it too dangerous; when Barry declared faith in the team to gain victory, Hunter announced that he wanted no part in that, stating that he didn't want to help Barry meet death. But before leaving, he warned Team Flash that Harry was just as secretive as the so-called Earth-1 version.
First confrontation with the Flash
Zoom's meta-human plans took an unexpected turn when he was contacted by Dr. Light who claimed to have killed the Flash and threw the man's emblem through one of the breaches as proof. Zoom, however, realized it was the Earth-1 Linda posing as the Earth-2 Dr. Light and easily saw through the deception easily and did not take the bait, choosing instead to bide his time. Once Team Flash's guards down were down, Zoom really did come through to Earth-1 and arrived right in front of Linda and simply stared at Linda for several moments as Linda got terrified, and took Linda to the roof of S.T.A.R. Labs where he was confronted by Flash.
Sadistically mocking Flash's failed attempt to deceive him, Zoom dropped Linda off the edge of the roof but Flash raced to the bottom followed close behind by Zoom and caught Linda with a wind-funnel before turning to face Zoom head-on. Flash then turned and raced around the building, building up for the speed-lightning before firing a bolt at Zoom who, to Flash's horror, jumped into the air, grabbed the lightning bolt in a somersault and hurled it right back at Flash with even greater force, scoring a direct hit. Desperate to regain control of the fight, Flash attempted to outmaneuver Zoom by forcing him into a free fall from a high altitude where Zoom's superior speed was neutralized but Zoom simply reversed the move and instead landed on top of Flash.
Zoom then proceeded to brutally and savagely pulverize Flash at high speed before finishing with a devastating blow to Flash's spine, dislocating a portion of the spinal-column and temporarily paralyzing his nemesis. As Zoom stood triumphant over Flash's body, Harry attempted to shoot Zoom with a dart filled with the speed-dampening serum only for Zoom to catch it and jammed both darts into Flash's chest. This combined with the severe trauma and paralysis caused Flash to lose consciousness. Zoom then turned his head to Harry and said Harry was next before speeding off with Flash's body.
Zoom dragged his nemesis's limp, battered and bleeding body across Central City to the newspaper office and police station to showcase his victory and declaring that the days of Flash protecting Central City were over. He then returned to S.T.A.R. Labs with Barry to confront Harry and the team. Derisively mocking Harry for believing Barry stood a chance of defeating him, Zoom stabbed Barry with one of his claws before bidding farewell. Drunk with victory and in the midst of gloating, Zoom is distracted long enough for Cisco to shoot him in the neck with a speed-dampening dart. Bellowing in agony, Zoom temporarily collapsed on the floor before recovering in mere seconds and raced away. Barry's defeat at Zoom's hands caused his nemesis to go into rehab until Barry's back fully healed. Barry also suffered doubt of being the hero Central City requires after Zoom showed the city he's superior. However, Henry Allen, Barry's father, was able to snap Barry out of this fear and get to go out as Flash once again.
Getting close with Caitlin Snow
After Caitlin and Harry successfully developed Velocity 6 like Hunter once did, the two called Hunter to S.T.A.R. Labs and explained that they wished to test the drug on him, as a subject who had been connected to the Speed Force. Hunter sternly refused, saying that the Speed Force could not be lab-made and the drug's effects could not be predicted, and warned Caitlin not to let Barry use the serum. After Harry is shot by Patty Spivot, Hunter is recalled by Caitlin and he reluctantly took the Velocity 6 to phase through Harry's chest and remove the bullet. Harry thanked Hunter but Hunter, other than saying he would never take the drug again, retorted that Hunter could thank him by keeping Velocity 6 away from Barry.
Unbeknownst to Team Flash, Hunter returned as Zoom in December shortly before Christmas, and offered Harry a mysterious deal in exchange for Harry's assistance, to which Harry did not respond. Zoom sadistically pursued Harry throughout the S.T.A.R. Labs facility for amusement before cornering and disarming Harry. Holding Harry by the throat, Zoom's only words were "Merry Christmas" before racing away. As "Jay", Hunter and Caitlin then worked on a way to close the other 51 breaches outside the S.T.A.R. Labs breach, therefore limiting the number of meta-humans he could bring through. As they talked, Hunter and Caitlin playfully flirted with each other, Hunter sarcastically asking what Christmas is with Caitlin giving a very awkward and broad explanation only for Hunter to admit there was Christmas on Earth-2.
When Captain Cold, Weather Wizard and the Trickster escaped prison Hunter helped Caitlin develop another version of Cisco's undeveloped Wizard's Wand (which was built in an alternate timeline that was erased and thus never did). When Trickster made a citywide broadcast to challenge Barry, Hunter noticed a reflection in his eye, and noted it was a stuffed children's toy and narrowed down that Trickster was in an abandoned toy factory. Shortly thereafter, Zoom confronted Harry for a second time to demand an answer but Harry begged for more time, which Zoom reluctantly granted and returned to Earth-2. During Barry's second attempt to get Trickster and Weather Wizard, Hunter helped Harry and Cisco remove all the bombs hidden within children's presents across the city, using one of the breaches and pulling them all in. Hunter later attended Joe and Iris's Christmas party with everyone else where he and Caitlin kissed under mistletoe.
In the wake of Flash's victory over Weather Wizard and Trickster, Zoom met by Harry who demanded to see Jesse alive and well before anything else. Zoom consented and brought Jesse over, allowing Harry to see and talk briefly before super speeding Jesse away again. Harry had figured out Zoom's master plan; to fatten up his nemesis with speed so that Zoom could take it all. Zoom confirmed it and asked for Harry's answer. Left with no other options, Harry reluctantly agreed to help Zoom steal Barry's speed in exchange for Jesse.
Hunter was present when Cisco briefed the team on Russell Glosson, which gets dubbed the Turtle, and was intrigued by the possibility of using these powers to slow down Zoom. When Barry failed in preventing the Turtle's new theft, Hunter seemed lost in thought; when asked by Caitlin, he answered he was thinking on how hard it was to assist to these things without remembering how he could no longer help others. Caitlin told him they could devise some way to get his speed back, but he said that when he arrived on Earth-1. The first thing he tried was exactly that, and whatever tests Caitlin had in mind, he had already done. When the team figured out that the next target for the Turtle would be an event that night at the Central City Museum, Hunter and Caitlin went, but the Turtle was able to foil Flash yet again.
After the team reconvened at S.T.A.R. Labs, Hunter asked if he could speak to Caitlin for a second, and shared with her some champagne (as she hadn't had Caitlin's at the event). After Barry managed to defeat and lock up the Turtle, Caitlin reached Hunter and informed him of knowing - Caitlin had collected his DNA from the champagne and had realized he was sick with a terminal illness; Caitlin asked Hunter how he could let them get close, knowing that soon he would die, and he answered that he didn't expect to fall in love. Caitlin asked him to find a cure then, but Hunter said that the only way for him to live was to regain his speed, and for that they would need to defeat Zoom; Caitlin then said that they should get started.
The next day, Hunter and Caitlin both found that the Turtle was dead in the cell. Hunter was suspicious about Harry, since it seemed the Turtle had died the same night of being brought in. Harry denied this, asking why kill a man potentially capable to stop Zoom, and Hunter retorted he could never figure out Harry's motives; Barry stopped the argument, although to Caitlin, Hunter commented that every time he thought Harry was on their side, something happened to make him doubt that.
Caitlin later shared the news of Hunter's sickness with Barry, saying that he was affected by Zoom stealing his speed at a cellular levels, and therefore they could replace his dying cells with healthy, identical ones. However, both Barry and Caitlin couldn't find a doppelgänger for "Jay" in this reality, to their puzzlement; Barry then suggested Caitlin to just ask Hunter about it.
Hunter met with Caitlin who recounted her dad's fight against a terminal sickness to explain this obsession with helping him. They later meet at Hofherr Park the day after. While there, Hunter told Caitlin he supposedly had the same thought in curing himself he couldn't, but he couldn't; he pointed out his doppelgänger who he claimed was orphaned and adopted by the Zolomons. When Caitlin asked why his doppelgänger couldn't help out, Hunter said that his DNA had been mutated when he obtained his powers, and that the final conclusion was that the only thing that could reverse his sickness was defeating Zoom and having his speed restored. In reality, Hunter showed his Earth-1 doppelganger to Caitlin in an attempt to get Caitlin to stop trying to help him, and to give an explanation of his own on why his Earth-1 doppelganger wasn't didn't have the same name, thus preventing Caitlin from realizing Hunter is not actually "Jay". This slip-up later allowed Team Flash, with the help of Harry's knowledge of Earth-2, to find the clues to Zoom's true identity as a serial killer from Earth-2.
After installing a speed-force draining-device underneath the emblem on Flash's suit, Harry managed to siphon off roughly 2% of Flash's overall speed-force supply and stored it in a S.T.A.R. Labs injection gun. Later, Harry met secretly with Zoom and handed over the stolen Speed-Force, which Zoom then injected into himself. Harry attempted to swindle Zoom by demanding Jesse's return before giving Zoom the rest of Flash's speed but Zoom was not fooled, rammed a claw into Harry's shoulder and reiterated that Harry wouldn't get Jesse back until Harry had stolen and delivered the rest of Flash's speed to him, threatening to torture Jesse to the brink of death every day that passed instead of killing. Leaving Harry on the ground, Zoom raced away and returned to Earth-2.
Crisis of two Earths
When Barry, Cisco, and Harry traveled to Earth-2, Caitlin and Joe remained to protect the city. After the meta human Geomancer began attacking the city in an effort to draw out the Scarlet Speedster, Joe and Caitlin believe it's time for Hunter to take Velocity 6 again. Hunter, fearing the drug for what it's done to him, initially refuses. But after telling Caitlin about Zoom not really taking his speed but rather the drug being the culprit, he is encouraged by Caitlin's loving support and together they formulated Velocity 7, which gave Hunter his speed back temporarily to confront Geomancer but his speed disappeared in the middle of the fight, resulting in Hunter at Geomancer's mercy, however, Joe shot at Geomancer which injuring Geomancer and forced to flee. Later, while Caitlin tends to his wounds, they discuss the short-lived success of Velocity 7 and plan to work immediately on Velocity 8.
Noticing the presence of the Flash, Reverb decided to contact Zoom and inform him that a new speedster had appeared on Earth-2. Zoom already knew it was Barry and, following the plan made with his time remnant, decided to take advantage and in secret set up an ambush for the speedster using Killer Frost, Deathstorm and Reverb as an enticement/bait for Flash. When Zoom finally arrived to enact the ambush, he was enraged to find Reverb and Deathstorm pummeling Flash repeatedly against his direct orders that any speedsters found were not to be harmed. As punishment, Zoom brutally murdered both Deathstorm and Reverb but spared Killer Frost's life because Killer Frost in fact had obeyed his commands. Zoom then scooped up his nemesis's unconscious body, raced back to his lair and sealed Barry in a glass prison nearby Jesse. When Barry finally regained consciousness, Zoom returned to his lair just as Barry promised Jesse that the former would get the latter out. However, Zoom sadistically reminded Barry not to make promises Barry couldn't keep.
Hunter later learned that the Velocity 7 caused more cellular degeneration, though Hunter told Caitlin he had faith the next batch won't do harm. Later, Iris asked him if Iris could write an article on him. Hunter is reluctant at first but eventually agreed. Soon after, Geomancer caused tremors and collapsed a hospital. Hunter took the next Velocity serum and rescued the people at the hospital. When he returned, Iris told him Iris had everything needed for her article. Hunter then took a "nap"; Hunter then secretly created a time remnant and convinced him to be killed as part of his plan to push his nemesis to get faster, presumably realizing that he couldn't maintain his identities on two Earths at the same time. The time remnant was then sent to Earth-1 to assist Caitlin with closing the breach.
Zoom then confronted his prisoners, telling the man in the iron mask to stop making contact with Jesse and Barry. Zoom then phased through Barry's cell and beat his nemesis down, before leaving. When Harry, Cisco, Killer Frost and Barry Allen and Iris West rescue the prisoners, Zoom arrived and thanked Killer Frost for leading them to him. Zoom then went to kill Jesse before being betrayed by Killer Frost who took revenge on him for killing Deathstorm.
Zoom escaped Killer Frost's attack and made it to S.T.A.R. Labs before Barry could bring Harry over. Zoom was temporarily stunned by Harry but made it through the breach in time to kill his time remnant. Hunter arrived back to Earth-2, dumped his time remnant to the ground, claiming the situation to be a complication. Additionally, now being closed off from Earth-1, Zoom imprisoned Killer Frost rather than kill Killer Frost due to looking exactly like Caitlin who Hunter had genuinely fallen in love with during his Jay masquerade on Earth-1.
Team Flash would mourn the death of the so-called Flash of Earth-2, until Cisco started vibing Zoom every time being near his helmet. After revealing this to the team, Cisco was asked to vibe the helmet once again, upon which Cisco realized, to everyone's horror, that Zoom and Earth-2 Flash were the same person. Determined to make Zoom pay for his deception, Barry began to discover new ways to get faster to defeat the evil speedster while Cisco continued to receive "day-mares" of Zoom while near his helmet. After receiving the formula for tachyons from Eobard Thawne in the past, Barry swore to Hunter's helmet that Barry would stop him.
For six weeks, Hunter waited for Cisco to open a breach. One day, Hunter felt a breach being opened. He raced to where this was occurring and watched as a breach was being opened, but was disappointed when Vibe abruptly stopped. When Vibe opened a breach once again, Zoom made his way over. Zoom told the Flash they made a mistake and the two raced over to S.T.A.R. Labs. Zoom then noted that Flash had gotten much faster, which would give him more speed to steal. Flash and Zoom quickly fought but Zoom hesitated as Flash set up cutouts of his parents. With Zoom briefly distracted, Zoom is shot by Flash with the B.O.O.T. Subdued and unmasked, Hunter asked how Barry knew of his past. Barry then told him he made a mistake by revealing to Caitlin who his doppelgänger was. When Hunter asked how he knew he was Zoom, Barry revealed that he was aware that Velocity serums turn a speedster's lightning blue if they run fast enough. Hunter noted Barry was clever to use his family against him and that family is a weakness. Hunter then told Barry that he couldn't lock the darkness up before breaking out and speeding off.
Following Barry's move, Zoom kidnapped Wally West and brought Wally to his lair on Earth-2. Zoom is then contacted by Vibe who told him Barry's speed would be exchanged for Wally. Zoom made his way back to Earth-1 with Wally. Once he passed Wally over, Hunter had Harry make preparations to transfer Barry's speed to him, upon which Harry promised to knock his smug face off one day. Hunter then explained that the one killed was his time remnant rather than a speed mirage, explaining that he realized he needed to be on both Earths once his nemesis closed all the breaches and went to Earth-2. Hunter also told them that he grew tired of playing the villain after a while and later enjoyed pretending to be a hero so he could rip hope away from everyone, though Hunter is called a monster by Caitlin, the very words his father was called. Once Barry ran on the treadmill and speed absorbed, Hunter injected the vial with Barry's speed and cured himself. Hunter victoriously then thanked Barry as he held his nemesis against a wall, ready to give death in return. But just as Hunter was about to deal the killing blow, Caitlin told Hunter if there was a piece of humanity left in him and if he really loved Caitlin, he wouldn't kill Barry. Hunter then dropped Barry before kidnapping Caitlin.
A few moments later, Zoom returned to S.T.A.R Labs to find a time-traveled version of Barry from 2018 and another girl. After 2018 Barry reminded him that he already got what he came for, Hunter asked for the girl's identity. Suddenly, he realized that the girl was another speedster. Seeing this as an opportunity to take the girl's speed as well, Zoom chased after as the two speedsters tried to run into a portal to go to another time. He entered the portal after them and continued to pursue them, only for a Time Wraith to grab him first instead of Barry and the girl. It is unknown what happened to Zoom after this, although it can be inferred that the Time Wraith returned Zoom to his proper place in time and erased his memories to ensure the continuity of the timeline.
Zoom later returned to Earth-2. Through vibing, Cisco was able to determine that Zoom had taken Caitlin back to his mountain-top lair and tried to sway Caitlin into siding with him to no avail. Undaunted, Hunter allowed Caitlin to roam freely in the lair, knowing that Caitlin couldn't escape, while he attended to other business.
When Zoom finally returned, he found Caitlin under attack from her Earth-2 counterpart Killer Frost after being tricked into breaking Killer Frost out. Wasting no time, Zoom ran through Caitlin by using his speed to bee temporarily intangible, grabbed the icicle fired at Caitlin out of the air to ruthlessly stab in the stomach with it, killing his former enforcer instantly while sadistically remarking not needing anymore. Turning to Caitlin, he warned that if Caitlin tried to escape again, he would kill the man in the iron mask. Zoom subsequently chained Caitlin to a bed and tried again to reason with but Caitlin would not listen, only pleading with Hunter to be returned to Earth-1. Hunter then explained to Caitlin that he used to measure his success by how many people he killed, but would begin to measure his success by how many Earths he conquered instead. Preparing to invade Earth-1, Hunter sadistically laughed and took his horrified captive to Earth-1, fulfilling Caitlin's wish albeit in a very twisted manner.
Invasion of Earth-1
Arriving back on Earth-1, Zoom went to the CCPD, mocking Joe by greeting as an "old friend" and declaring this city now under his control. When the cops were about to retaliate, he reminded them that their guns were useless against him. Caitlin managed to convince Zoom not to kill them and he agreed, warning that if they tried anything, they would all meet their end. Afterwards, he chained Caitlin to a desk within the police department. When Caitlin questioned if his plan was to kill everyone, Hunter said not everyone as he wants to spare Caitlin due to his love for Caitlin. When asked why he needs Caitlin, he gets a flashback of his mother's death and everything that followed and states he needs Caitlin because he doesn't want to be alone ever again.
As part of his plan for invasion, Zoom brought Rupture over. Later, he met up with Rupture to see if Cisco is killed, as Zoom managed to convince Rupture that Vibe had killed Reverb. Rupture failed but would still want to get justice, but Zoom said to wait for now as he needed Rupture to set an example and ordered Rupture to go to Jitters and kill the police. After he left, Hunter sensed Caitlin's disapproval with his plan and she then asked if he wore the mask to scare people. This prompted another flashback of his rehabilitation back on Earth-2 and his desperation to convince his doctors that he wasn't a monster. However, it appears he moved past that as he coldly reminded Caitlin in his demonic voice that Caitlin said he was "nothing but a monster" before speeding off. Unknown to Hunter, Caitlin managed to get a phone and warn Team Flash of what is to come at Jitters. Utilizing that information, they set up trap for Rupture, using holograms to distract then depower Rupture with the Boot. The victory was short lived as Hunter saw the news report of Rupture's failure and quickly deduced that Caitlin had betrayed him by telling Team Flash his plan. Caitlin reminded him that he didn't keep his promise of sparing lives, and Zoom declared darkly that they were even then and sped off to Jitters.
Once arriving there, Zoom demonstrated his immense speed by snapping the neck of the camera man and every cop in the vicinity in mere seconds, only sparing Joe and Captain Singh due to his affection for Caitlin. When Barry came in as he throttled Singh for going against their agreement of not trying anything against him, Barry told him he proved enough. Zoom wasn't done, however. After tossing Singh aside, he fatally stabbed Rupture with his claws and declared Rupture just as worthless as Reverb. Taking a camera, he told everyone watching that there was no hero, just a hologram and that nothing can save them now from him taking over the city. Having made his point, he sped off. When Barry tries to get back to being a speedster by recreating the particle accelerator explosion, Hunter watched a bolt of lightning strike S.T.A.R. Labs and grew angry at the possibility his nemesis would return. He quickly ran off to try to stop this. However, when he arrived, it appeared that Barry had died. Zoom mocked Team Flash for trying to bring back their beloved hero, instead killing Barry. Satisfied, Zoom sped off.
While Team Flash was busy with bringing Barry out of the Speed Force, Zoom was gathering the Earth-2 meta-humans on Earth-1. Tired with Caitlin's anger at him, he's given Caitlin a choice: stay with him and be safe, or go back to Team Flash, only to be treated with the same "mercy" as its other members should they meet Zoom again. After delivering his ultimatum, Hunter left Caitlin alone in a room. Caitlin stayed back and listened as Zoom delivered a speech before his meta-human "brothers and sisters", urging them to take Earth-1 from normal humans.
Once the city was in the "Metapocalypse", Hunter left a sign for Barry to find on the Police department building, of his lightning bolt insignia. After Barry's arrival, Hunter taunted Barry's naiveté when it came to protecting people, and insisted that the two speedsters were really the same person, noting their similar dark backgrounds. Barry angrily disagreed with Hunter's comparison, but just then, a building started collapsing across the street and Barry went to save all the people in the building, proving Hunter's point. Later, Hunter is visited by Black Siren. Hunter urged Black Siren to knock down more buildings in order to distract Team Flash. After Team Flash turned on their Pulse weapon, Zoom, along with all his minions, felt its harmful effects. However, Zoom quickly makes a portal in order to escape to Earth-2.
Shortly after, Zoom returned to Earth-1 and crashed the West household where he kidnapped Henry, prompting Barry to pursue him across Central City before he took Henry to Barry's childhood home. Hunter, claiming that it was "poetic justice" to have Henry killed in the same place as Barry's mother once was, taunted Barry as his nemesis repeatedly begged for Hunter to let Henry go. However, insisting that Henry's death would push Barry to be just like him, Hunter phased through Henry's chest, stopping Henry's heart and killing Henry as Barry watched on in devastation.
In a fit of rage and grief, Barry viciously attacked Hunter who gleefully cheered him on, daring Barry to kill him and sadistically encouraging his nemesis to embrace this newfound rage just as Hunter did as Zoom.
The two then engaged in a high-speed chase-fight throughout Central City, during which Zoom took a quick detour to surreptitiously create another time remnant which continued the chase while the real Zoom disappeared. The violent chase finally culminated in the Flash bringing down Hunter's time remnant in an alley-way, before ruthlessly attacking him and pinning him before preparing to finish him off. Hunter once more dared Flash to give into rage and commit murder, constantly baiting Flash, but Flash could not bring himself to do so. Suddenly, the real Zoom appeared out of nowhere and killed his time remnant in front of his shocked nemesis. Informing Flash that he'd also be able to create a time remnant provided that he possessed the willpower to kill his other self, Zoom declared that Flash was "almost ready" before swatting Flash aside and racing away, as Flash tearfully watched on in defeat.
Race for the multiverse
Hunter later ran to Barry to entice to chase after him. Once Barry caught up to him, Hunter challenged Barry to a do-or-die final race between the two speedsters to ostensibly establish who truly was the fastest man alive, although in reality Hunter intended to siphon his and Barry's speed in order to power Mercury Labs' Magnetar, a device capable of destroying all other universes in the multiverse while leaving Earth-1 as the last one standing. Unbeknownst to Zoom, the Flash's allies refused to allow Barry to race, reasoning that Barry wasn't in the right mindset to face Hunter once more especially following Henry's death, before locking Barry in the Pipeline and attempting to trap Zoom on their own.
As he worked on the Magnetar, Hunter was approached by Caitlin who, in an attempt to bait Zoom unbeknownst to him, falsely insisted to see reason and loved Hunter once more before apologizing for the earlier words and actions towards him. Hunter seemed momentarily touched but then declared that it was far too late for Caitlin to return to him before attempting to kill Caitlin as well but his former love interest disappeared to his shock, however, when he delivered the killing blow, revealing a hologram as the real Caitlin was safe with Team Flash. Joe subsequently attempted to take Hunter down as he fell for the trap but Hunter took the advantage and captured Joe before returning to Earth-2.
Zoom subsequently imprisoned Joe in his lair. Joe bitterly asked Hunter about his past, which Hunter revealed before being asked about the man in the iron mask's identity. Hunter explained that after the singularity on Earth-2 and the opening of the breaches, he traveled around where he encountered the Flash of Earth-3 who he was easily able to subdue. Following, Hunter captured and imprisoned the man on Earth-2 but wasn't able to steal the man's speed. Instead, Hunter kept the man not only as a trophy, but also to assume the man's identity to give false hope to Earth-2's people, revealing his captive is the true Jay Garrick. Hunter taunted Joe over his own plan to imprison Barry after their race, just as he did with Jay. Shortly afterwards, Barry contacted Zoom through Vibe's powers, agreeing to the race but only on the condition that Hunter released Joe, to which Zoom agreed.
Zoom returned to Earth-1 with Joe and waited beside the Magnetar as Barry and Team Flash met him there. As Barry revealed that they figured out Hunter's true endgame, Hunter simply confirmed it and laid out his one condition: if Barry backed out for any reason during the race, Hunter would kill Joe and Team Flash. Barry accepted and shortly afterward began the race with Zoom, with the two speedsters speeding around the Magnetar. In the midst of the race, however, Zoom failed to notice in his arrogance Flash traveling mere moments through time, creating a time remnant. While the time remnant continued the race, the original Barry jumped off the Magnetar and freed Joe. Eventually noticing Barry's tactic, Zoom furiously leaped off the Magnetar and tackled Flash before boasting that Flash would be unable to stop the Magnetar regardless as it was too late. However, Hunter then watched as Barry's time remnant began to create a phase of his own to counteract the Magnetar, killing himself in the process while destroying the device and ruining Hunter's plan. As Zoom yelled in fury, he attempted to attack Barry's prime self but Flash quickly gained the upper hand, viciously beating the demonic speedster and throwing him to the ground, shattering Hunter's mask.
As he lay bleeding on the ground, Hunter derisively declared that his nemesis, as a hero, would not kill him as having had already tried to do so once but failed. Flash coldly stated not having to as a pair of Time Wraiths emerge from the Speed Force. Badly beaten and weakened from the race, Hunter could only scream in terror as the Time Wraiths surrounded him and began forcibly transforming him into a demonic-looking skeletal being, changing the lightning-bolt emblem of his costume red as well as it's outline and the earpieces, turning the emblem circle white and turning his speed lightning red. The Time Wraiths then reopened their portal and dragged his decaying form into the Speed Force.
Becoming the Speed Force's enforcer
Hunter's ultimate fate upon being dragged by the Time Wraiths back into the Speed Force is unknown but whatever punishment he endured caused him to lose his remaining sanity, and decayed his body to an undead state similar to that of the Time Wraiths. Condemned to serve the Speed Force's will for all time, he was transformed into a savage, demonic speedster known as the "Black Flash" driven by a lust to kill and operating on a newfound ability to sense the Speed Force's use by other speedsters. He finally emerged from the Speed Force as a monstrous speedster-hunter set on bringing down any speedster in the multiverse who dared to mess with time, a far more potent weapon than any Time Wraith and living nightmare for speedsters.
The Speed Force deployed the Black Flash to hunt down the Reverse-Flash ever since Eobard and Barry returned to 2016 following the Flashpoint timeline's erasure to a timeline where Eobard wasn't supposed to exist and therefore was a paradoxical threat. Eobard was beset and immediately outmatched by the demonic speedster who proceeded to track and pursue relentlessly across time. However, Eobard was able to build an alarm to go off whenever Black Flash was near, allowing Eobard to barely stay ahead of it but restricting Eobard to remain in one place for long.
Black Flash eventually sensed Eobard's presence in 1927 but the rogue speedster fled before he could find Eobard. Undeterred, Black Flash tracked Eobard, Damien Darhk and Malcolm Merlyn/Dark Archer to a bank in Zurich in January 2025. Black Flash blindly charged in and searched the entire bank but could not lock onto Eobard since his target was repressing Speed Force usage and was thus invisible to Black Flash, although it could still sense his target was still in the bank. As Black Flash began to close in on Eobard's location, Malcolm and Damien distracted him with arrows and swords as Eobard speed-punched him into a bank safe, which Malcolm sealed shut. Knowing Black Flash wouldn't remain imprisoned for long, Eobard and his associates fled.
Reuniting with Barry
Eventually, the Black Flash continued his hunt for the Reverse-Flash but was unexpectedly recalled back to the Speed Force by his masters. Endeavoring to save Wally, Barry had entered the Speed Force to rescue Wally. The Speed Force refused to let Wally do so and unleashed the Black Flash against the Flash. The demonic speedster viciously battled Flash throughout the Speed Force vision of S.T.A.R. Labs during which Flash immediately noticed the undead speedster and attempted to escape in an elevator. Black Flash grabbed Flash before the latter could and hurled Flash back out, pinning Flash to the ground. The Speed Force representative told Flash of what to do to save Wally and gave a final ultimatum, whereupon Black Flash began draining Barry's life-force. Understanding, Flash severed the tether to the real world by removing the chest emblem and slamming it onto Black Flash's chest, banishing him temporarily in a blast of white light.
Continuing the hunt
After his fight with Barry, the Black Flash continued his hunt for the Reverse-Flash. After Eobard escaped the Waverider's brig and was about to go search for the Spear of Destiny's fourth piece, Ray Palmer showed up and was able to distract Eobard long enough for Black Flash to get close enough for Eobard's watch to detect him. Having no time to look for the fragment, Eobard fled before Black Flash showed up.
When a syndicate of supervillains across time were able to acquire the Spear of Destiny to rewrite reality itself and changed their destinies, Eobard likely attempted to reverse his paradoxical status but this proved futile as Black Flash continued to exist in the syndicate's new reality. Black Flash is imprisoned in a hidden cell located in S.T.A.R. Labs' cortex. Though Black Flash tried relentlessly to break out, Eobard wold be sure that he would eventually give up altogether.
Black Flash is eventually released from his captivity when Sara Lance used the Spear of Destiny to neutralize its own powers, causing the syndicate's alternate reality to be erased from existence, whereupon Black Flash sprinted to Eobard's location in 1916. Eobard, blinded by arrogance, had abandoned the early-warning system in the alternate reality and therefore did not realize Black Flash was close until it was too late. Looking on in horror as the black-clad spectral speedster appeared on the horizon, Reverse-Flash attempted to flee but Black Flash caught up in a split second, seized Eobard by the throat, and viciously phased his hand through Eobard's chest, obliterating his target's heart and erasing Eobard and his time remnants from existence. Stopping briefly before Sara, Black Flash roared in Sara's face before racing away, having fulfilled the Speed Force's will.
Trying to erase Savitar and destruction
The Black Flash is later sent by the Speed Force after Savitar who failed to kill Iris West in 2017, creating a timeline where Savitar never existed and thus is a paradox. Determined to stop Savitar from splicing himself through time and avoiding this erasure from the timeline, Black Flash quickly went to erase the rogue time remnant from existence. However, Savitar knew about Black Flash and brought Killer Frost to help stop the monstrous speedster. As Black Flash burst out of the Speed Force, he was immediately beset by Killer Frost, though he dodged Killer Frost's attacks easily. Black Flash sped towards the two roaring like a wild animal and lunged for Savitar, only for Killer Frost to hit him with another cold blast, freezing and shattering the monstrous speedster.
In the Earth-Prime timeline, Zoom's meta-human group had apparently gotten their powers from the Singularity, rather than being an invading force from another universe. Their invasion was still remembered as "the Metapocalypse". Hunter also still became the Black Flash, hunting down and ultimately catching and vaporizing Eobard as he did on Earth-1.
Zoom killing Henry resulted in Barry's creation of the Flashpoint timeline to not live with the pain of losing both parents, but would return the timeline to how it was after seeing what it did to others and caused major timeline changes.
Zoom would be remembered greatly by those he had the most impact on. When Wally received speedster powers because of Barry's timeline changes, Barry drew inspirations from past mentors (including Hunter) to train Wally. Harry would learn from battling Zoom of having a willingness to kill him. Barry thought of killing Grodd, but Harry talked Barry out of it by drawing inspiration from mistakes involving Zoom. Having always been one step behind Zoom, Eobard and Savitar, Barry gets determined to get ahead before Clifford DeVoe could cause major damage. Laurel working with the crime lord Ricardo Diaz had Laurel remember Hunter as a father figure, however, Laurel quickly realized that Diaz's inner hatred is far worse as Hunter was actually capable of loving someone albeit in a very twisted and deranged manner. Caitlin would still at times refer to Hunter as Jay, and blamed herself after getting manipulated by Thomas Snow's alter ego Icicle similiar to Zoom and the Reverse-Flash.
In an erased future where a time remnant of Barry is known as Savitar, the time remnant surpassed Zoom's and Reverse-Flash's speed to the point that Barry felt standing still in comparison to Savitar. The time remnant and Abra Kadabra also held the former superior to both Zoom and Reverse-Flash despite all the pain both speedsters caused.
Zoom's actions also indirectly affected two generations of Cicada. Zoom's rampage on Earth-1 resulted in the loss of the fiancé of Vanessa Ambres during the Metapocalypse, making Vanessa believe that all of the meta humans are evil. This belief is integrated into Orlin Dwyer which in turn made Cicada try to kill all meta humans due to what happened to Grace Gibbons.
In a possible future that Nora West-Allen hails from, Zoom's suit and speed-dampening mask were displayed within the Hall of Villains in the Flash Museum sometime before 2032 along with other memorabilia from past villains that Team Flash had fought and defeated. Nora had studied all of the Flash's past battles, including Zoom sending King Shark to kill. Additionally, Zoom's and the Red Death's victim count were inferior compared to Cicada's bigger and growing number of victims. In 2049, Zoom's Velocity usage inspired August Heart to recreate the Velocity 9 serum in to be the speedster known as Godspeed which Nora eventually learned.
Zoom failed at destroying the multiverse (except Earth-1) but the Anti-Monitor succeeded by using an antimatter cannon to destroy the multiverse and most life within except the Paragons who were brought to the Vanishing Point.
It was presumed Hunter was once an innocent, carefree child before witnessing his father, James Zolomon murdering his mother, Ashley Zolomon and subsequently growing up alone in darkness. As a result; Hunter became antisocial, twisted, demented and manipulative, eventually finding an outlet for his antisocial urges by becoming a serial killer, killing with no real motive outside of sadism, according to the newspaper documenting his arrest. However, it does appear that Hunter at some point had some normal relationships with other individuals, as he offhandedly mentions having had friends before his arrest.
- "It's so fun pretending to be a hero."
- —Hunter Zolomon[src]
As Jay, Hunter presents himself as a courageous and selfless man, a person who always wants to do good and would have sacrificed his own life so that another could have lived similar to Barry Allen. "Jay" is an efficient teacher as he was able to teach Barry in just a few hours to hurl lightning bolts from the body to defeat Eddie Slick. He has a strong dislike for Harry Wells, viewing Wells as a shady man who keeps too many secrets, and who focuses on creating and selling meta-human technology rather than owning up to the particle accelerator explosion, however, he still proved willing to go at lengths to save Harry's life. Wells accused "Jay" to be a coward and claimed the so-called Flash did not fight Zoom at all, but would rather run from Zoom, that he was the one being hunted by him. "Jay" did admit that Zoom scared him and he did not confront him as often as he could.Ultimately, this shows how Hunter was a master manipulator and actor, as "Jay Garrick"/"The Flash" was but a charade to give people hope, all so he can take that hope away from them afterwards.
- "You remind me of the guy that brought me here... to this Earth. He... he had so much hate inside of him. Took control over him."
- —Black Siren to Ricardo Diaz[src]
As Zoom, the individual he truly was, Hunter was obsessed with speed to the point of being unstable. As noted by Harry Wells, he's set a mission of eradicating anything else with super speed, enthralling or intimidating meta-humans. Hunter instills tremendous terror as Zoom in everyone he encounters, such as both versions of Linda Park and Al Rothstein. He was utterly ruthless, having little to no regard for human life, murdering anyone, such as the police officer he spared after murdering a S.W.A.T. team he baited, and Reverb after the latter disobeyed his rule about speedsters. He even went so far as to kill Rupture after the latter failed his mission and got captured despite obeying his orders. He was also willing to do anything to achieve his goals, as he killed many people to find a cure and his own time remnant agreed to die to ensure their goals when Team Flash was planning to close the breach.
Hunter had been shown to be very egotistical, as after his victory against the Flash where he proceeded to parade Flash's body to Central City News, where he displayed it to the media like a hunting trophy, proclaiming himself to be "The fastest man alive". He then hauled the unconscious Flash to the Central City Police Department, gloating to the assembled officers, relishing in their helplessness as he caught dozens of bullets with his speed. Finally, he carried Barry's body back to S.T.A.R. Labs, showcasing him to Team Flash and also mocking Harry for believing that the Flash was going to defeat him. After kidnapping Wally West in exchange for Barry's speed and letting go, he was smug and confident, even after Harry threatened him he showed no concern or worry for his safety, instead he just smirked at Harry smugly. His arrogance and smugness has proven to be his one point of vulnerability when, in, the midst of gloating about his victory to Team Flash, he let his guard down long enough that he was shot by a speed-dampening dart by Cisco Ramon.
Hunter was also horribly sadistic, enjoying the fear and terror in his helpless prey with obvious and somewhat animalistic satisfaction. His sense of humor is extremely vile. Hunter is also a classic sociopath, as he displayed little to no remorse or regret in his use of other people, meta-humans or otherwise, treating them as disposable pawns to further his goals. He casually references the amount of people he's killed to Caitlin Snow.
Some question if he was still human, and Harry says he might be. This is indeed proven true when he attempted to kill Barry, however spares Barry for the plea of Caitlin, proving Hunter is capable of love. After abducting Caitlin, he was somewhat trusting of Caitlin, letting roam around his lair in his absence. He was also expressed a desire for the two of them to live together, much to Caitlin's chagrin. Hunter's shown to be protective of Caitlin, brutally murdering her doppelgänger after she tried killing her. However, he warned her not to try freeing his masked prisoner or he'd kill him. While he was angered that Caitlin managed to send a message to the team about Zoom using Rupture to ambush and kill the officers at Jitters, he did not harm her and instead went to kill the officers himself. However, Hunter showed to be impatient in his relationship with Caitlin, genuinely refusing to understand why wouldn't she love him anymore after he was revealed as Zoom. Tired of arguing with Caitlin, Hunter gives her an ultimatum; stay with him and be protected, or go back to her friends, only to be treated with no mercy should they ever meet again. However, when Caitlin ultimately chose her friends over him, Hunter's good side was completely erased.
He appeared to suffer from some degree of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, as witnessed during his fight with the Flash who used cardboard cutouts of his parents, which triggered invasive memories of his childhood trauma. These invasive memories are characteristic of someone suffering from PTSD. He constantly had flashes to his traumatic experiences, either his father killing his mother, the orphanage he was placed in, or his shock therapy treatments, having lost time and reality of the present, leaving him off guard. Caitlin unknowingly caused him to experience these flashes more frequently, as her words would constantly remind him of these events. During this time Hunter tends to be more wild, impulsive, and far less tactical than he usually was, and acts in a deranged manner more akin to that of a feral animal. Hunter had demonstrated that he was perfectly willing to kill his time remnants in order to fulfill his goals.
Hunter's sociopathic mind proved to be so severe that he would do the most insane and drastic measures to prove a point. One example is his laboring under the idea that he and Barry's similar backgrounds and histories make them, for but for a difference in their mothers' murders, the same person. Due to the fact that Barry never witnessed his mother's actual death when he was a child, he was not completely consumed by the darkness like Hunter was, and Hunter is determined to prove that they are essentially the same being in their essence. He attempts to do this by forcing Barry to confront his inner darkness on multiple occasions, one of the most notable being the battle against Black Siren, the mirror image of Barry's late friend Laurel Lance was one of Hunter's more poetic and disturbing ways of bringing Barry closer to the madness and darkness that had all but consuming. When this failed to work, Hunter then forced Barry to watch as he killed Henry Allen in the same room in which Eobard Thawne had murdered Nora Allen 16 years prior. This also displayed Hunter's taste for dark humor and irony when sadistically pushing his enemies over the edge, psychologically speaking. This was Hunter's final point to prove to Barry, and based on the latter's rage, grief, and desire to kill him equaling that of his desire to kill Eobard at the time of his capture a year earlier, it appeared that he succeeded when Barry could go through with it, but is left for the Wraiths instead, thus underestimating Barry's heroic nature. Hunter's psychological problems do not in any way exceed his intelligence, able to quickly familiarize and experiment with the complex speed force, design costumes to withstand the physical conditions speedsters must endure, and manipulate Barry constantly to his own ends.Despite originally being classified as a psychopath, Hunter had moments where he fit more the description of a sociopath. This is based on his ability to form emotional attachments to those around him, perverse and twisted though they may be. It wasn't until Caitlin completely rejected him for the monster that he was that he gave up on any remaining attachments to others, thus embracing the true nature of a sociopath hellbent on committing homicide by destroying the multiverse. Overall, Hunter is a sociopath, he is not a psychopath because he has shown the ability to feel love and compassion, however, like most sociopaths, the ability for him to feel love and compassion is very limited. Before his father killed his mother, he was caring and normal child, proving he was not a true psychopath.
- "I thought it was a Time Wraith, the monsters that hunt speedsters who mess with time. But, whatever is hunting me is far worse than a Time Wraith."
- —Eobard Thawne on Hunter Zolomon[src]
Powers and abilities
- "When I got struck by the dark matter and electricity, I became Zoom—the fastest man alive. Wasn't long before I had this Earth on its knees, but it wasn't enough, I wanted more! I wanted to be faster so I created a speed drug. It made me faster than I ever thought possible, fast enough to break the dimensional barrier, fast enough to run to other universes—other Earths."
- —Hunter Zolomon[src]
- Speed Force connection/Meta-human physiology: After being affected by the particle accelerator, while receiving electroshock treatment, Hunter gained a connection to the Speed Force; a mysterious energy field. His DNA was altered and cells supercharge with enormous amounts of electricity, augmenting his physiology to superhuman condition. After his transformation by the Time Wraiths, Hunter's powers became greater than ever before, as Eobard is extremely afraid of him and believed not even the combined might of the Legion of Doom could stop him, only slow him down.
- Bodily vibration: Hunter had the ability to vibrate his cells on command for various effects. He can vibrate his entire body to mask his form from others from clearly perceiving it and distort his vocal cords to disguise his voice. Vibrating also allowed him to generate the force of a buzz-saw, allowing him to use the force to break objects.
- Intangibility: Hunter could move and vibrate any part of his body so fast that he could effortlessly change his frequency and phase himself through people or objects. This allowed him to cause people to drop dead when he phased his arm through them, however, he could also harmlessly pass through people, as he did with Caitlin. He was also capable of effortlessly vibrating through carbine, which Barry had tremendous difficulty doing at first.
- Death touch: After becoming an enforcer of the Speed Force, Hunter can kill any speedster he touches by phasing his hand into their chests, which notably caused Eobard Thawne to return to being erased from existence and obliterated him and caused the past selves he brought with him to fade from existence.
- Decay inducement: After his transformation by the Time Wraiths, Hunter gained their ability to cause cellular decay and drain people of life through physical contact. He tried to cause Flash to decay into a corpse, but this was stopped before the process was complete or even permanent.
- Electrokinesis: Originally, like Barry, Hunter could emitted yellow electricity from his body. After usage of the Velocity drug made his body now produce sapphire blue lightning, a sign of his extreme over-usage of it. Even while only slightly accessing his powers, Zoom would produce a powerful aura of blue lightning from his body that always emanated off of him, whether he was moving at super speed or not. He could also manipulate electricity by touching it, as when Barry tried hurling lightning at Hunter, he managed to grab and hold the lightning as if it were a tangible object and hurl it back at him. He is also able to perform this same feat with his own electricity as he taught Barry how to do so. When he grabbed Harrison and stabbed him with his claws, he was able to transfer electricity into him, causing him extreme pain. Upon his transformation by the Time Wraiths, Hunter now generates red lightning.
- Energy absorption: Zoom is capable of absorbing Speed Force energy that he injects himself with, for more power.
- Enhanced mind: Zoom's speed also extends to his mental capacities, allowing him to take in information and process it at much faster rates than a normal human. This ability allows Hunter to see the world as if it is in slow motion, which, combined with his physical speed, lets him perform thoughts and actions long before a normal human around him could even perceive them.
- Superhuman perception: The Speed Force also enhances Hunter's senses and mental capacities, allowing him to easily keep up with and perceive the movements of other speedsters while they are at super speed themselves even when he himself is not.
- Superhuman strength: Presumably due to his greatly enhanced connection to the Speed Force, Hunter showed the ability to effortlessly exert great strength and force even without utilizing his speed, enough to lift fully grown humans over his head with only one arm, without any strain or effort. He was also able to easily break Barry's spine with one strike. Combined with his efficient fighting skills, Hunter was able to deal severe bodily harm with only a few blows. His strength carried over to his transformation by the Time Wraith's, allowing him to face the strongest of speedsters in battle, allowing him to eventually overpower and almost effortlessly pin down Barry Allen and force Eobard Thawne to flee on sight.
- Eye transformation: Hunter can change the color of his eyes to pure black due to the physical corruption caused by the Velocity serum. This serves as both identity concealment and as a mean of intimidation (in the case of pure black). However, this is not a result of his electrokinesis, unlike fellow speedsters. Following his transformation into the enforcer of the Speed Force, Hunter is still capable of accessing his ability. This ability is seen once more during his fight with Barry Allen, as his eyes were pitched black. He could also fill his eyes with yellow electricity after injecting himself with Velocity 6.
- Speed Force awareness: Hunter can sense the speed force in another speedster's system to track them down. He displays this ability when he realizes that Barry from 2018 with his speed back was in S.T.A.R. Labs and that the girl with Barry was a speedster. After becoming an enforcer of the Speed Force, Hunter's ability to sense the speed force in another speedster's system to track them down became even more powerful, which is how he is able to locate Eobard Thawne at any place or time.
- Superhuman durability: Hunter had the ability to have large amounts of damage inflicted on him, and be hurt at a rate lower than regular humans, sometimes suffering no injuries. During his fight with Barry, he fell to the ground from hundreds of meters in the air with no noticeable injuries and quickly resumed viciously pummeling Barry.
- Superhuman speed: Hunter is able to move at unimaginably fast speeds, moving from place to place in moments. Through extreme usage of the Velocity drug, Hunter artificially enhanced his connection to the Speed Force. Initially, Hunter could move at least at Mach 6-8, leaving Barry Allen's initial speed not nearly able to keep up. This is because with each stride of his legs, his feet spend less time on the floor than Barry, thus propelling him even faster. After gaining all of Barry's original Speed Force energy, Hunter became considerably faster than before, being able to snap the necks of nearly every person in Jitters in less than a second, leaving them all collapsing at virtually the same time. However, his inability to let go of his past rendered him unable to naturally increase his speed like Barry Allen, which led to his defeat at the hands of The Flash. After taking Barry's speed, he was able to catch up to 2019 Flash, by then considered the fastest speedster ever (although he was distracted by protecting XS). After his transformation by the Time Wraiths, he has gotten noticeably faster; he was able to keep up with Barry during their fight in the Speed Force.
- Superhuman agility: Hunter was incredibly agile and able to change direction immediately while moving at super speed. This let him make sharp turns at super-speed, without sliding or losing his balance. It also let him leap farther and higher, able to easily perform acrobatic movements in combat, as well as fight confidently while free falling. Even when transformed into a Speed Force specter and removed of his senses, he is able to effortlessly coordinate himself at superhuman speed as if he still possessed sight, allowing him to avoid hitting any obstacles. He could effortless lunge several feet to tackle Barry to the ground to pin him down, even without using his speed.
- Superhuman reflexes: Hunter's reaction time was also augmented, allowing him to react to far faster than a normal human. He easily saw and countered a bolt of lightning hurled at him by Barry and likewise caught every single bullet launched at him by the entire police force with ease, using only a single hand. When transformed into a Speed Force specter, he demonstrated being able to effortless catch both an arrow shot at him by Malcolm Merlyn and a blade swung at him by Damien Darhk.
- Superhuman momentum: Hunter was capable of inflicting massive amounts of physical damage on his opponents by packing speed into his blows. His punches seemed to break the sound barrier. He was able to reduce Barry to a bloody mess in seconds with his deadly strikes, and even break his spine, causing paralysis. Even with Barry's rapid healing, the damage inflicted on him was noticeably prolonged.
- Time travel: Hunter can move fast enough to break open holes in the fabric of time and space, allowing him to travel through time, an ability which Hunter abused to get time remnants of himself to assist him in the current timeline.
- Interdimensional travel: Hunter was able to travel between Earth-1 and Earth-2 at will. He did so by using the "breaches" between worlds. His speed allowing him to temporarily stabilize the interdimensional "corridors" that linked any one breach on Earth-2 with a corresponding breach on Earth-1, letting him and those he brings along pass through them. After stealing Barry's Speed Force energy, Hunter became powerful enough to create breaches with his own speed. He was able to create a portal out of thin air with a simple punching motion.
- Superhuman stamina: Hunter's body could handle the stresses of superhuman racing without noticeable distress, and function much longer than a normal human without getting tired or weak.
- Bodily vibration: Hunter had the ability to vibrate his cells on command for various effects. He can vibrate his entire body to mask his form from others from clearly perceiving it and distort his vocal cords to disguise his voice. Vibrating also allowed him to generate the force of a buzz-saw, allowing him to use the force to break objects.
- Accelerated healing factor: While unable to repair the cellular deterioration caused by the Velocity 6, Hunter's powers also afford him heightened healing capacities, allowing him to quickly heal any superficial harm to his being. Despite being shot by Cisco Ramon with a serum to dampen his speed, Hunter almost instantly recovered and ran off before the serum could take full effect, showing no signs of having been slowed down by the serum. Once obtaining Barry's Speed Force, Hunter's full regenerative properties were restored, allowed him to recover from his former cellular damage. However, his transformation into Black Flash displayed that he had lost the ability, as he shatters upon being frozen by Killer Frost rather than start to thaw out after freezing.
- Voice changing: When Hunter was Zoom he can change is voice to sound monstrous, similar to speedsters like Eobard Thawne or Edward Clariss. This ability appears to stem from his eye transformation ability. After he became a servant to the Speed Force, Hunter lost what remained of his sanity, reduced to a feral being incapable of speech.
- Intimidation: Due to Hunter's incredible power, savagery, and demonic-like appearance, he commands an extremely terrifying presence, instilling fear into enemies and allies, a common tactic of Hunter's is using the fear he has instilled in others in order to get them to do his bidding as he did with Atom Smasher, Eddie Slick, Dr. Light, and Harrison Wells, his use of psychological fear tactics by destroying symbols of hope and forms of protection in order to crush the spirits of a city's citizens to show that they are not safe from him. He is still deeply feared as an enforcer of the Speed Force to speedsters like Eobard Thawne as he terrified him more than a Time Wraith ever did.
- Expert hand-to-hand combatant: Complementing his ferocious appearance and personality, Hunter's animalistic yet efficient style uses his tremendous speed and powers. His style is more precise than Barry Allen's originally was yet not quite as tactical as Eobard Thawne's. Instead, Hunter uses powerful punches to accompanied by his glove claws for savage slashing movements, overall causing great blunt-force trauma. In appearance with behavior, Hunter seems to enjoy inflicting as much pain as physically possibly when killing an opponent such a snapping his victim's spines and breaking their necks.
- Genius-level intellect/Master tactician/Leader: Hunter is an extremely intelligent man and an incredible tactician and leader, as he was able to gather an army of meta-humans to aid in his control over Central City and successfully lead it while also fighting them and himself as the Flash, doing it so perfectly that none of the residents of Earth-2, even his meta-human followers, could deduce the connection between them. Despite his psychopathy, Hunter proved to be a methodical man, as he carefully studied Earth-1 and finding out everything he could before confronting Team Flash, allowing him to convince them his intentions were good. also came up with a plan to make Barry faster by both personally guiding him and also sending villains under his command, doing so without attracting any suspicion from Team Flash and despite Team Flash eventually figuring out his identity and true motives, Hunter was successful in extracting Barry's speed by leveraging Wally's life. He also led his army to attack Earth-1 with great efficiency, overwhelming the efforts of Team Flash to contain them and would have conquered Earth-1 had it not been for Harry developing a sound amplifier capable of incapacitating every meta under his command. As the Black Flash, Hunter is now little more than an animal that the Speed Force sics on Speedsters messing with time.
- Master scientist/Engineer: Hunter is an extremely scientifically adept and well-read man, excelling in physics and chemistry and even claiming that he operated solo his personal lab and had found a way to purify heavy water without residual radiation and was a part-time professor. Hunter's knowledge of the science of the Speed Force allowed him to develop the dangerous speed-enhancing Velocity serums and deduce that enough speed would be able to cure him of the drug's side effects of cellular degeneration. Hunter's scientific genius also extended to being proficient in engineering, as he was able to construct prisons capable of holding meta-humans, and devices that dampen their powers. He also modified and weaponized the Magnetar into a gigantic race lap capable of harnessing the energies of speedsters and releasing a powerful pulsar, which powered by the combined energies of him and Barry, would have destroyed every other earth on the multiverse had it not been stopped. However, Hunter's abilities as a scientist were still inferior to the likes of Harrison Wells, as he could not find a way to steal the Speed Force from Jay Garrick and needed Harry's help to steal Barry's speed. As the Black Flash, Hunter has lost all his scientific genius as he is reduced to being a mere animal that the Speed Force sics on Speedsters messing with time.
- Expert mathematician: Hunter accurately calculated that one lap from him and Barry around the Magnetar would produce one gigawatt of energy, and 500 plus energy was needed to power the Magnetar enough to destroy the multiverse.
- Master deceiver/Manipulator: Like most psychopaths, Hunter shows no concern, if not actual awareness, of right and wrong. To which, in showing no guilt, he is an accomplished actor. Hunter's persona as "Jay Garrick" and as "Zoom" were so different from one another that he was able to convince the citizens of Earth-2, his own meta-human followers, and Team Flash that were two different people for two years. During Caitlin's physiological exam during which she does a subtle lie detection exam, Hunter quickly became aware of this and showed none of the physical signs of deceit; showing his skills as a liar. While infiltrating Team Flash, he kept trying to make Barry become faster so he could eventually steal his speed without attracting any suspicions from them. Hunter was also successful into manipulating Barry into strongly wishing to defeat him by killing Henry Allen in front of Barry so he could make the latter race him in the Magnetar to create the pulsar needed to destroy the multiverse. As the Black Flash, Hunter is no longer capable of being deceitful.
- Diminished senses: After his metamorphosis from the Time Wraiths, Hunter's senses appear to be much weaker, only able to perceive targets in motion. To which, if a speedster is not currently channeling the Speed Force (i.e. remains completely still) Hunter can't sense or even see him properly. Furthermore, while he can still see things (evident by the fact he never runs into anything), he apparently cannot differentiate between creatures that do not have Speed Force in them and inanimate objects, meaning he is completely oblivious to any danger that isn't an active speedster.
- Extreme cold: For every speedster low temperatures are a problem as it slows them down and can weaken their healing abilities. It is proven Hunter possess this weakness when Killer Frost used her ice manipulation to stall him long enough for Team Flash to escape his lair. In his new form as the Black Flash, it's shown to still be a weakness to him, and the only thing who can destroy him according to Savitar, as he shatters upon being frozen by Caitlin.
- Interdimensional energy: As a servant of the Speed Force, Hunter is now vulnerable to the inter-dimensional energy produced by Cisco's "gold-tooth" technology. While fighting him in the Speed Force, Barry overloaded the "gold-tooth" transmitter on his chest and attached it to Hunter. The inter-dimensional energy from the transmitter overflowed into his body, tearing him apart in an explosion of light.
- Psychological trauma: Hunter suffers from severe PTSD, due to him watching his father kill his mother. Barry utilized his past memories to induce extreme psychological trauma, in order for him to lose his focus and become more feral, thus allowing Barry to overpower him, trap him and finally unmask him. He constantly has flashes to his traumatic experiences, either his father killing his mother, the orphanage he was placed in, or his shock therapy treatments. Caitlin unknowingly caused him to experience these flashes more frequently, as her words would constantly remind him of these events. After being enslaved by the Speed Force for all time, Hunter's sanity, and any sense of identity was completely erased, reducing him to a feral beast unable to act beyond the will of the Speed Force, though with the small benefit of no longer being vulnerable to traumatic memories.
- Time Wraiths: As Hunter continually broke the rules of the Speed Force, trying to manipulate it in order to recover from the side effects of the Velocity serums, especially after he went back in time and created a time remnant, Time Wraiths, the Speed Force's enforcers, were continually sent by the Speed Force to go after him. Hunter was terrified of the Time Wraiths and he was very careful in avoiding them as much as possible. When the Time Wraiths were intentionally summoned by Barry with the creation of a time remnant of his own, the Wraiths chose to go after and punish Zoom instead of Barry for the violation of the rules of the Speed Force (possibly since the remnant was used and sacrificed to save the multiverse). As they attacked Zoom, he screamed helplessly as the Time Wraiths aged him into a corpse-like figure, rendering him an eternal slave to the Speed Force. This also caused his lightning to change from blue to red while parts of his suit, particularly the emblems, also changed color from black to red.
- Velocity serum: While the Velocity drug boosted Hunter's speed to tremendous levels upon overdosing, the speed drug had a severely side-effect. In addition to these enhancements only being temporary, they left his natural connection to the Speed Force weakened so much that he could no longer use his powers naturally without the serum nor could the Speed Force be detected in him. Even more, a lasting side effect caused him cellular degeneration would in due course kill him . However, his remaining traces of natural Speed Force energy significantly slowed down the damage to his body.
- Electromagnetic radiation: Since Hunter was also a user of Velocity 9 like Godspeed, his speed could be disabled. However, since Hunter gained his speed naturally, it is unknown whether his powers would be completely disabled or if he'd just lose the speed boost from the Velocity 9.
- Zoom suit: Hunter wears a protective suit as his super villain alter-ego, Zoom, to hide his identity from his enemies. It is unknown what materials it's made out of. The suit includes a mask that fully hides Hunter's face. The mask has small line shaped gaps on the mouth resembling a demented smile. This causes it to resemble the equipment he wore during the electroshock therapy sessions in the asylum. The suit's gloves are adorned with sharp "claws", allowing Hunter to perform slashing and pirecing attacks upon his enemies. The left side of the mask was ripped off by Barry after Barry defeated Zoom. While the Time Wraiths were taking Zoom away, red speed force lightning changed the colors of the emblems in the suit; the lightning emblems on the ears changed from black to red, the outlines and lightning symbol on the chest also transformed from black to red except the inner part of the logo was filled in with white. In later appearances, the inner part of the logo was black.
- Clawed gloves: Unlike the Flash and Reverse Flash suit, Hunter's gloves are spiked-tipped, giving the appearance that he has claws. He mainly uses them as offensive weapons to stab his victims and was thought to be the method to how he steals the speed of other speedsters. This was revealed to be false, when "Jay" reveals that he "lost his speed" due to "overusing Velocity 6". He could channel the electricity on him to his claws to shock and cause pain to people he touched with them, as he did to Harry. At super speed or by vibrating, the claws can have enough force and momentum to kill someone that they are stabbed into, as he did to Reverb when vibrating his hand and he did to Rupture when charging at super speed. They became actual claws after the Time Wraiths transformed Hunter into the Black Flash.
- Earpieces: The suit has wireless communication capabilities through its built in earpieces, though it is unclear what Hunter uses them for, though it is highly possible that he uses them to communicate with his lieutenants to make sure the city is in line. Unlike the Flash and Reverse Flash suit, his lightning bolts on his earpieces are curved at the tip instead of being straight, and retained this property after being turned into the Speed Force enforcer.
- The Flash suit: Hunter wore a protective suit as his superhero alter-ego, The Flash, when he goes out fighting crime. It is unknown of what materials the suit is made. The suit includes a helmet, which is part of the military uniform Hunter's father wore during his service in the War of the Americas. However, Hunter additionally decorated the helmet with small yellow wings made of some sort of metal. Hunter based this costume off of the real Jay Garrick, to represent hope so he could sadistically take it away from the people to appease his sick twisted nature.
- Helmet: A silver metal kettle helmet, which was part of War of the Americas. He additionally decorates 2 small yellow wings made of metal. It can be used as a Shield to withstand bullets and catch them as well. When punching the helmet at supersonic speed, it will cause vibrational sonic blasts to be fire from the helmet.
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
The Chronicles of Cisco
- Similar to how Barry Allen is called the Scarlet Speedster on Earth-1, Hunter Zolomon, while masquerading as Jay Garrick/The Flash, was known as the Crimson Comet on Earth-2. This nickname was later revealed to be stolen from the real Jay Garrick.
- Zoom is the only main antagonist from who is not native to the show's universe as he is from Earth-2.
- However, this might no longer be true in the new multiverse, where his home universe seems to be Earth-Prime.
- Hunter is the first main antagonist to successfully kill another main antagonist in the Arrowverse (having killed a time remnant of Eobard Thawne).
- During his time as the Black Flash, Hunter generated red lightning instead of blue. It's unknown if during that time he had a connection to the Negative Speed Force or not.
- Hunter racked up quite the body-count during his lifetime, having killed around 52 people including Eobard Thawne.
- The number of people Hunter Zolomon has killed is most likely a reference to DC Comics' repetitive use of the number 52.
- Hunter is the first denizen of Earth-2 to appear in , the second being Harry Wells.
- Even though Hunter had a major role in Season 2 of , he appeared only three times in that season and was mentioned as "Black Flash" due to his enslavement of the Speed Force.
- He is the only main antagonist to have interacted with both the Reverse-Flash and Savitar, who were also main antagonists from .
- He is the second speedster who appeared in an episode of DC's Legends of Tomorrow without Barry (in ""). The first one is Eobard Thawne.
- Though it was never mentioned, Hunter is indirectly responsible for the events of Season 5 of : In "", he chased after the 2018 versions of Barry and Nora West-Allen, which caused the device they were holding to break. That chase also caused the two to end up in 2015, and because of the importance of the device, it forced them to ask Eobard Thawne's help in fixing it. Years later, that incident gave Thawne the idea to manipulate Nora into breaking one of Clifford DeVoe's satellites, which changed the timeline and caused Orlin Dwyer to get meta-human powers and become Cicada, thus causing the events of the season.
- While Hunter failed his goal to become the fastest speedster in the Multiverse, his goal of making Barry embrace the darkness was achieved in a now averted future in the case of Savitar.
- Hunter is first referred to as "Black Flash" by Savitar in the Season 3 finale of , "".
- Black Flash's task to hunt speedsters who mess with time can be seen somewhat fitting as it goes well with his first name, Hunter Zolomon.
- Black Flash's job is similar to that of a Time Wraith, but, according to Eobard, Black Flash is "far worse than a Time Wraith".
- Black Flash's task to hunt speedsters who mess with time can be seen somewhat fitting as it goes well with his first name, Hunter Zolomon.
- His appearance as the Black Flash is different from the comics, as half of his mask is torn off (which was full in the comics, although the reason for this is because Barry tore Hunter's mask right before the latter was transformed by the Time Wraiths) and his lightning emblem is red and reversed of The Flash's with a black (and sometimes white) background, but in the comics it had a white background and the red emblem was not a reverse of The Flash's.
- Zoom is the only speedster to give off lightning while stationary, and his blue lightning seems much more serrated than The Flash's, and with more arcs.
- Zoom is the only speedster main antagonist of to not be from the future.
- Hunter Zolomon is one of the few main antagonists in the Arrowverse to not die at the end of the season. The others are Malcolm Merlyn, Slade Wilson, Ricardo Diaz, Ben Lockwood, Ramsey Rosso, Mobius, Beth Kane, Eva McCulloch, the Speed Force, Roman Sionis, August Heart, and Tal-Rho.
- Ironically, Zoom killed Eobard's time remnant the same way Eobard killed Cisco Ramon (in an erased timeline), Mason Bridge, Rex Tyler, and threatened to kill many others, including Oliver Queen, Barry Allen (on two separate occasions), Amaya Jiwe, Malcolm Merlyn, Oliver from Earth-X and Felicity Smoak, by having the Black Flash phase his hand into Eobard's chest, stopping his heart.
- Hunter's height is 6'4".
- Apparently, Zoom doesn't exist on Earth-38.
- The Anti-Monitor's endgame was foreshadowed by Zoom's final scheme, seeking the destruction of the multiverse using a machine powered by speedsters running on it.
- Though unlike Zoom, he didn't want to leave a single universe to survive, but rather rule the remaining Netherverse alone.
- Also unlike Zoom, he succeeded.
- After The Anti-Monitor's Crisis, Zoom is the only main antagonist of the Arrowverse as the fate is unknown.
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics, the alias of Zoom is used by Hunter Zolomon, also known as the third Reverse-Flash, and the archenemy of the third Flash (Wally West). His powers are also portrayed as time manipulation, which allows him to alter the flow of time around his very being while slowing everything else around him to appear faster.
- Unlike his comic version, version of Hunter Zolomon is never referred to as the "Reverse-Flash" but only as "Zoom". In the comics Eobard Thawne is the first Zoom (official alias "Professor Zoom", commonly referred to as just "Zoom"), whose role as the Flash's enemy is continued by Hunter Zolomon (also known as both the second "Zoom" and the new "Reverse-Flash", but without the "Professor" moniker). In the show, this continuity between the two characters is removed.
- This version of Hunter Zolomon has similarities to other enemies of the Flash in the comics:
- Zoom's blue lightning and speed-draining abilities suggest an influence from two characters, a futuristic version of Barry Allen from the story line Out of Time, and the villain Malcolm Thawne a.k.a. Cobalt Blue, Barry's long-lost twin brother who acquired a gem that could absorb Barry's speed.
- Zoom has many similarities to the Rival as he appears in the New Earth continuity in the comics, presented as the "archenemy of Jay Garrick", relying on special chemicals to increase his connection to the Speed Force, and being threatened to dissolve into the Speed Force if he does not steal it from another speedster.
- Zoom's physical appearance, as well as his suit in the show, resembles that of the Black Flash in the comics, who acts as a grim reaper to speedsters.
- In the episode Jay Garrick, when Zoom is being taken away by the two Time Wraiths, he takes on an appearance similar to that of the Black Flash, an entity of death for speedsters in DC Comics. In addition to his lightning emblems becoming red and the icon on his chest being filled with white, Hunter's body also warps somewhat, with his teeth resembling sharpened fangs and his face rotting down to the bone.
- In "" , Savitar refers to him as Black Flash, confirming his new identity, while his role is also similar, as he hunts Savitar in this episode and another time remnant speedster in the second season of .
- Zoom's origin story is somewhat similar to that of another Flash villain from the DC Comics: the Suit. The Suit was a mysterious entity which took possession of a supervillain costume previously owned by Dell Merriwether, a serial killer who was electrocuted for his crimes. Just like Hunter gained his powers through an electroshock, the entity arrived on Earth through Merriwether's execution.
- Zoom's eyes have gone through some changes. In a previous version seen in the trailers and in the pilot when Cisco Ramon saw him talking to Atom Smasher, Zoom's eyes glowed blue. However, the current version has his eyes pure black. This is most likely to give him a more "demonic" appearance and also having the blue eyes would have been somewhat repetitive, since Reverse-Flash had this quality last season. This seems to have been replaced by the presence of speed force lightning emanating from his body even when he isn't running.
- From his first appearance to his unmasking as portrayed by Teddy Sears, the suited version of Zoom was portrayed by Australian stunt actor Ryan Handley rather than Sears himself. Tony Todd voiced Zoom.
- After becoming the servant of the Speed Force, Hunter has a white emblem with a red lightning bolt and a red border. However, his emblem later changed to just a red border with a black inside and the same red lightning bolt, although this may simply mean that when he had a white emblem, his transformation into Black Flash wasn't complete yet.
- Zoom served as the main antagonist of Season 2 of .
|Other versions of Hunter Zolomon|
|To see other versions of this character, click the Earth name below for that Earth's counterpart of Hunter Zolomon.|
|Earth: 1 • 2|