- "The First of the Fallen gives temporary power to those who believe his lies, but they become his possessions."
- —Manny on John Constantine's use of the Icon of Pazuzu[src]
Icon of Pazuzu was an artifact owned by John Constantine. It was a nexus of Pazuzu's powers, allowing John to unleash them on Lamashtu, and was also connected to the First of the Fallen, whose dark magic allowed to insert Pazuzu into John's body at the expense of healing him and protecting from the Invunche.
At some point the Icon of Pazuzu was created with the involvement of both the Assyrian god and the First of the Fallen. It allowed to unleash Pazuzu's rage and connect him with the body of the artifact's user through the magic of the First of the Fallen. John Constantine acquired the artifact and told Anne Marie Flynn of its properties. He used it to summon Pazuzu's powers during the confrontation with Lamashtu, allowing the demon king to unleash purple flames on his estranged mate. After being shot by Anne Marie and attacked by Invunche, John dispelled his own protective words and used the Devil's magic to welcome Pazuzu into his body. Possessing John, the demon king scared Invunche away, but put John into even worse danger. The user of the mark left a burning symbol on John's hand.
Powers and abilities
- Pyromancy/Pyrokinesis: The Icon unleashed purple flames through the rage of Pazuzu.
- Demonic possession: The Icon allows Pazuzu to possess the caller through the dark magic of the First of the Fallen.
Behind the scenes
- An icon (from Greek εἰκών eikōn "image") is a religious work of art, most commonly a painting of some religious entity.
- Historically, the iconography depicts Pazuzu as a combination of diverse animal and human parts. He has the body of a man, the head of a lion or dog, talons of an eagle, two pairs of wings, and a scorpion's tail. He has his right hand up and left hand down.