- For other uses of "Brainiac", see Brainiac (disambiguation).
- "Hell is coming to Earth. And when it does, only the Kryptonians and I will survive it. See you after the apocalypse."
- —Indigo to Non[src]
Brainiac 8 was imprisoned on Fort Rozz for attempting to shut down Krypton's defense systems to commit genocide and was trapped in the Phantom Zone. After years of searching, she eventually found Kara Zor-El's pod. She took over the pod, causing the young Kryptonian to wake abruptly, noticing a computer console in her dashboard with a logo with three dots in a triangular shape, before Fort Rozz's engines activated and both of them escaped the Phantom Zone.
Taking on the alias "Indigo", Brainiac 8 traveled through the internet with the hopes of wiping out all humans on Earth. She tried to release private information about an infidelity website (DiamondDiscretions.com) to CatCo, but Cat Grant refused to comply with this. The monitors and other electronic devices started to malfunction at CatCo and the hacker (who was Indigo taking on a human face on-screen) told Cat that since she ignored what was being given to her, there would be chaos in National City. She kept her promise and all the traffic lights in National City turned green, causing major accidents and injuries.
At Kara's apartment, Kara and James Olsen watched Winn Schott try to crack the hacker's code to no avail when the hacker appeared on the screen and emerged through the computer into the room as a blue woman with the symbols of Brainiac. She attacked Kara, and threatened to kill Winn and James Olsen, but Hank and Alex arrived and scared Indigo off. Later, Indigo teleported through another computer and met with Non, where it's revealed that the two had earlier sexual encounters. Indigo tells Non that Astra’s notion of living alongside the humans can’t work, and says she'll do something to the human race so she and the Kryptonians will be the only ones left on Earth.
At the military site, Indigo used General Mathers' cell phone as a means to enter the base. She swiftly killed the officers in the room, and used a stretching ability to turn both activation keys. Kara arrived and fought Indigo, but Indigo eventually restrained her with her legs. Kara broke out and went after the missile. Realizing that anything she tried could destroy National City, she finally relented to consulting Hank, who guided and helped Kara disarm the missile's tracking computer. Indigo, initially infuriated her initial plan failed, tried to send more missiles, but was knocked down by Kara.
Kara dropped her phone during the landing. After learning that Winn was working on a virus that would destroy her, Indigo used it to reach Winn and choke him. Winn, though being strangled, continued to code his virus. Indigo tried keeping Kara at bay by claiming to be "invincible". Winn called her a "glorified Windows Vista" and uploaded the virus to Indigo. While she was being destroyed, she revealed that if it weren't for her finding Kara's pod, none of them would have been on Earth at all. The virus finally consumed her, leaving no trace of her remains.
However, Non, using the Omegahedron, showed that Indigo was not actually destroyed, with her body appearing on the computer board in severed pieces. Non said, "I merely broke your heart. Look what Supergirl did to you," and then said that he wants her to do things his way now.
After Indigo was rebuilt, Non finally executed his plan on Earth, beginning with National City and taking over the minds of all its residents via the program Myriad. As Alex Danvers and J'onn J'onzz returned to the city to help Supergirl, Indigo was waiting for the twosome and lured them into a battle, with J'onn almost gaining the upper hand, she managed to attack him from behind and grabbed Alex. Indigo then ordered a weakened J'onn to stand down or she'd kill Alex, and he did so, only to collapse a few seconds later. Then Indigo left triumphantly as she was convinced that J'onn, the last surviving Green Martian, had died. After she took Alex to Non, Indigo suggested using her in order to hurt Kara.
Supergirl managed to broadcast a speech throughout the city that helped the residents to break free, effectively ending Non's brief domain, so Indigo suggested using the Omegahedron's signal to kill all the humans of Earth and leave Supergirl behind as the hero of a dead world. After discovering their plan, Supergirl and J'onn fly to Fort Rozz where they fight Non and Indigo. J'onn fought and defeated the Coluan by ripping her in half. However, before she died, Indigo revealed that she has locked the system to deactivate the signal in order to leave Kara and J'onn with no choice but to watch everyone on Earth die. Ultimately though, Indigo's last-ditch effort failed as Kara pushed herself to the limit to throw Fort Rozz out of orbit into space.
Powers and abilities
- Coluan physiology: Being a synthetic life form, Indigo's physiology allows her to alter her body shape and interact with technology.
- Cybernetic interface/Technopathy: Indigo is a Coluan cybernetic being. She is able to transfer her body in the form of digital code and teleport through any technology by flying into it while in digital form. Indigo can also use any electronics as a portal to another destination, traveling through electronic and digital signals. Indigo could also teleport only part of her body if she willed it, as she phased her arm through a phone's screen, allowing it to pass through Winn Schott's computer screen and choke him. Indigo can interface with any machinery and manipulate computer systems, as well as detect digital electronics and signals.
- Super strength: Indigo was able to battle Supergirl - a Kryptonian - and J'onn J'onzz - a Green Martian - on equal grounds while they were at full strength.
- Super speed: Indigo showcased blinding levels of speed, able to tackle Alex Danvers several feet into the ground in a blur of motion.
- Invulnerability: Indigo's body is denser than a human's, but not nearly as durable as a Kryptonian's.
- Shapeshifting: Indigo could take the form of a blue athletic female or a blonde human whenever she wished.
- Malleability: Indigo is able to manipulate her limbs to stretch and elongate to almost no limit and turn her fingers into claw like blades. It is later revealed that she can turn her limbs into blades sharp enough to pierce Green Martians' skin. Indigo is able to absorb bullets harmlessly into her body if shot; when J'onn shot her, the bullet holes in her skin vanished and Indigo made the bullets rise out of her hand.
- Flight: Indigo was able to fly as fast as a Kryptonian, having accompanied Non to face Supergirl and J'onn.
- Self-repair: As a digital being, Indigo is able to self-repair, though only if she is conscious. Otherwise, the Omegahedron can be used to reconstitute her. Indigo's ability to dissolve into digital code also allows her to scatter herself in minuscule particles and reform herself at will, as she did when thrown into an exploding structure by J'onn.
- Expert hand-to-hand combatant: Indigo is highly trained in unarmed combat, using athletic prowess to get the upper hand in a fight. Combined with her raw physical power, she was able to physically restrain Supergirl from behind with a grappling maneuver.
- Viruses: Since Indigo is essentially a software, she can be subject to viruses, which Winn Schott used to incapacitate her.
- Antiquated technology: Indigo could not interact with more outdated forms of broadcasting signals and technology in any way.
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics, Indigo, also known as Brainiac 8, is a descendant of the well-known enemy of Superman, Brainiac. She was sent from a distant future era to infiltrate the superhero community, joining the team known as the Outsiders. After being exposed as a villain, Indigo joined the Legion of Doom.
- Indigo's actress, Laura Vandervoort, previously portrayed Kara Zor-El in the television series Smallville. This makes her the second character in the series to be portrayed by a former Supergirl actress. The first was Helen Slater, who portrayed Supergirl in the 1984 film, and appears on the show as Eliza Danvers.