- "Batman brought out all the crazies in Gotham. If it weren't for him, there wouldn't have been a Joker!"
- —Jacob Kane[src]
Jack Napier, otherwise known as the Joker, is an infamous criminal from Gotham City who was responsible for the attack on the Kane family. Due to his notorious criminal record, he was portrayed in pop culture by the actor Heath Ledger and even referenced by Cisco Ramon.
Jack Napier was a mysterious criminal, who was for some time known only by his alias, the Joker. He was an enemy to the similarly half-mythical Gotham City protector, Batman. On January 26 2003, he hijacked a bus full of schoolchildren and ended up ramming the Kane family car, leaving it dangling on the edge of the bridge. He was stopped by Batman, who secured the car with his grappling hooks and pursued the Joker. However, the hooks turned out to not be enough due to an engineering mishap in the car, causing it to fall into the river, leading to the death of Gabi Kane and apparently Beth Kane. The Joker was tried the following month.
Joker was later portrayed by Heath Ledger in a fictionalized form of some sort. Cisco Ramon mentioned him in his blog while discussing the events from his journey to Earth-2. Cisco compared Heath Ledger's Joker to Zoom, claiming that the maniacal meta-human speedster made Joker "look like Santa Claus".
The Chronicles of Cisco
Behind the scenes
- In the DC Comics, the Joker is the nemesis of Batman.
- The Joker, played by Heath Ledger, was indeed a character in The Dark Knight, a film adaptation of DC's Batman mythos. Considering the Joker's later appearance in Batwoman, it can be assumed that Ledger portrayed the character in a documentary, or as a fictionalized version of him in a movie based on real events (considering that Batman himself is thought to be a myth by a number of characters in-universe; Oliver Queen being one-such individual).
- Jack Napier was both an alias and the real name used by the Joker in many Batman projects including the 1989 Batman film and Batman: The Animated Series, where the Joker's real name is in fact Jack Napier.
- The name "Jack Napier" was intended to sound like the word "jackanapes."
|Other versions of Jack Napier|
|To see other versions of this location, click the Earth name below for that Earth's counterpart of Joker.|
Earth: 1 • 89 • 96 • 203