John Loring is a gangster and black market arms dealer from Central City.
According to Sue Dearbon, a very good liar and storyteller, she and John Loring had a relationship until she discovered that he was a major arms dealer and, in most cities, he has police officers on his payroll. To keep his enterprise a secret, John decided to try to kill his girlfriend in her sleep, but was unsuccessful. John came to Central City for a major sale; in case Sue followed, he planted an explosive in an apartment she had there.
Hunting Sue Dearbon
After being beaten up by Ultraviolet and after Sue Dearbon, whom John did not seem to recognize as he spoke to her, got away with a large diamond from his bank vault, John and his men try to attack Elongated Man only for them to be subdued by the Flash and arrested by the Central City Police Department led by Joe West himself.
- Since he possessed its diamond, John may be affiliated with Black Hole.
Behind the scenes
- John Loring is a reference to Jean Loring, Sue Dearbon's killer in the comics.
- However, in the Arrowverse, Jean's character is split into four; Jean (a once mentioned and abandoned version of the character), Jean Loring (an attorney in Star City), Anna Loring (Ray Palmer’s late fiancée), and John.
- John Loring's possession of Black Hole's diamond may be a reference to his comic counterpart, where Jean Loring came into possession of the Heart of Darkness, a black diamond, which caused her to become the new host to Eclipso. Furthermore, the black diamond in the comics does exist in the Arrowverse, currently being owned by John Constantine.
- John is the fourth female-to-male character gender swap in the Arrowverse, after Lucious Coolidge, Heatstroke, and Jonathan Cartwright.