Jor-El (died 1979) was the brother of the late Zor-El, the father of Kal-El, the husband of the late Lara Van-El, and the paternal uncle of Kara Zor-El, as well as one of the most respected scientists of Krypton.
Sending Kal-El to Earth
As their home planet was dying, Jor-El and his wife, Lara, sent their infant son, Kal-El, away from Krypton to Earth. Before sending him off, Jor-El stored the files of the Medusa virus in Kal-El's pod.
Powers and abilities
- Kryptonian physiology: Normally, like all Kryptonians, Jor-El's capabilities were no greater than a normal human of his physical conditioning. However, if he had been charged by the energy of a yellow sun metabolizing into his body, he would have become able to perform various inhuman feats. Ultimately though, this never happened as Jor-El was never exposed to a sun different to the Kryptonians' natural red one.
- Genius-level intellect/Master scientist: Jor-El was highly intelligent, being a well-respected scientist on Krypton and a member of the esteemed House of El.
Adventures of Supergirl
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics, Jor-El of the House of El was a Kryptonian scientist and the father of Kal-El. He prophesied the destruction of Krypton, but was unable to convince the planet's High Council of the impending disaster. Thus, Jor-El was only able to build a rocket large enough to send Kal-El to safety on Earth. Jor-El and his wife, Lara, perished alongside every other Kryptonian when their planet exploded.
- In , Jor-El's discovery of Krypton's fate and subsequent conflict with the planet's government is handed off to Astra and Alura Zor-El.
- In the Prime Earth continuity, Zor-El was whisked away to Earth before Krypton self-destructed due to the machinations of Doctor Manhattan. Upon witnessing the atrocities of humankind in a war-torn nation, he became Mister Oz, a situational enemy/ally to Kal-El, now Superman.