Jor-El (died 1979) was the brother of the late Zor-El, the father of Kal-El, the husband of the late Lara Lor-Van, and the paternal uncle of Kara Zor-El, as well as one of the most respected scientists of Krypton.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Legacy
- 3 Powers and abilities
- 4 Appearances
- 5 Behind the scenes
- 6 References
Jor-El was born on the planet Krypton, into the prestigious House of El. He had a brother, Zor-El, and they both became scientists after reaching adulthood. Jor-El fell in love with a fellow scientist named Lara, who later became his wife. In 1979, they had a son, named Kal-El.
At one point, Krypton's ruling advisor ordered Zor-El and Jor-El to create the Medusa virus, a synthetic bioweapon designed to infect and kill any non-Kryptonian life form as a safety mechanism to protect Krypton in case of invasion. Much to Jor-El's dismay, well his brother, Zor-El had no problem creating the tremendous bioweapon.
- "My cousin, Kal-El, was sent to a planet called Earth. for his own safety and protection. You may know his story. The story you don't know is that I was sent to protect him."
- —Kara Zor-El[src]
Lara's second husband
At some point, Jor-El fell in love with Lara, though she was married to her genetic mate Zeta-Rho and had a son with him; Lara loved Jor-El as well and divorced, choosing love and free will over science.
Destruction of Krypton
Jor-El downloaded his intelligence into a hologram to retain the wisdom of the planet Krypton after its destruction. Years later, Clark had brought his son Jordan to the Fortress of Solitude after he manifested some abilities and wished to test for more information. However, the A.I. of Jor-El concluded that Jordan's powers were a result of brief flare-ups and that his human DNA would limit him, upsetting Jordan, who would use the readings as an excuse to join the Smallville Crows football team.
Destruction of the hologram
An ice sculpture in the Fortress of Solitude was crafted in Jor-El's image. In 2017, when Kara denies marrying Mxyzptlk, he gets angry and animates the statue of Jor-El to attack her. She destroys it while apologizing to her uncle.
Powers and abilities
- Kryptonian physiology: Normally, like all Kryptonians, Jor-El's capabilities were no greater than a normal human of his physical conditioning. However, if he had been charged by the energy of a yellow sun metabolizing into his body, he would have become able to perform various inhuman feats. Ultimately, this never happened as Jor-El was never exposed to a sun different to the Kryptonians' natural red one.
- Genius-level intellect/Master scientist: Jor-El was highly intelligent, being a well-respected scientist on Krypton and a member of the esteemed House of El.
Superman & Lois
Adventures of Supergirl
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics, Jor-El of the House of El was a Kryptonian scientist and the father of Kal-El. He prophesied the destruction of Krypton, but was unable to convince the planet's High Council of the impending disaster. Thus, Jor-El was only able to build a rocket large enough to send Kal-El to safety on Earth. Jor-El and his wife, Lara, perished alongside every other Kryptonian when their planet exploded.
- In , Jor-El's discovery of Krypton's fate and subsequent conflict with the planet's government is handed off to Astra and Alura Zor-El.
- In the Prime Earth continuity, Jor-El was whisked away to Earth before Krypton self-destructed due to the machinations of Doctor Manhattan. Upon witnessing the atrocities of humankind in a war-torn nation, he became Mister Oz, a situational enemy/ally to Kal-El, now Superman.