- "I thought coming here would be a chance to start over, but I guess I'm just gonna be a freak like always."
- —Jordan Kent[src]
Jordan Kent (born 2007) is a student at Smallville High School. He is the son of Clark Kent and Lois Lane, the younger twin brother of Jonathan Kent, the paternal first cousin of Kara Danvers, the nephew of Lucy Lane, the grandson of the late Jor-El, the late Lara Van-El and Sam Lane, and the adoptive grandson of the late Jonathan Kent Sr. and the late Martha Kent.
After discovering that Jordan demonstrates powers, Jonathan began calling his brother Superboy.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Personality
- 3 Powers and abilities
- 4 Equipment
- 5 Appearances
- 6 Gallery
- 7 Trivia
- 8 References
- "Clark, I need you to get to Metropolis now; it's the boys."
- —Lois Lane and Clark Kent[src]
As a result of the merging of Earth-38 with Earth-1 and Earth-TUD5, the timeline was changed, resulting in Lois and Clark having twins instead of just one son. They were born in 2007 instead of 2019.
Jordan had destructive outbursts and tantrums that were eventually diagnosed as social anxiety disorder, while Jonathan was a happy, athletic kid. As a child, Lois and Clark took Jordan and Jonathan to spend a summer in Smallville, where they met Sarah Cushing. There, Jordan was quiet writing in his notebook.
Discovering Clark's secret
One night, after having dinner with Jonathan and Lois, Jordan went to his room to play video games, when Clark returned home, he went into Jordan's room and apologized for missing the day's therapy, Jordan said that his mother had already said that he was working, his father also said that Jordan was a great Superman in the game, with Jordan responding that Superman was boring and he was playing as Raiden, Clark said that if he needed to talk, he was there. When he was leaving, Jordan told him to turn up the music.
The next morning, when Jordan left his room, Jonathan questioned him about his outfit, with Jordan answering him sarcastically. Then they went to school. When Jordan's grandmother, Martha Kent died, he went to her funeral in Smallville, there, when Jordan was eating, Jonathan asked him if he had taken his pills from him, Jordan said he was not his mother, with Jonathan saying that someone had to look after him, when Jonathan saw Sarah and her family arriving, he warned Jordan and they went over to meet them with his parents, Sarah said she was sorry for his loss of him, when his parents left, they talked about the summer they met.
Then Sarah asked what had in the Kent farm barn, so he and Jonathan accompanied her there. While in the barn, Sarah said that almost anything there could kill them and that Smallville sucks. Sara then asks for Jordan's phone. Sara then picks up the phone and says that there will be a bonfire tomorrow and he can go. Jordan tries to impress Sarah by climbing on the scaffold without a ladder to reach the router, but he falls hard on the ground when the straps that hold the steel beams are broken. Jonathan then tries to save his brother from the steel beams by jumping in front of him, but Jordan manages to turn them over and save them both. Sara alerts Clark, who finds the boys, and quickly takes the steel beams off them.
Then, a doctor examines them and says that they only have mild concussions. Then they go to their rooms. Jonathan says he missed training for the week and Jordan asks him if he really cares about it now. Jonathan said that if he wants to stick to something, it must be Sarah Cushing. He takes Jordan's cell phone and mocks the message the other one sent to Sarah, calling him freaky and Jordan says they need to find out what happened in the barn.
The next morning, Jordan and Jonathan investigate the barn; he finds it strange that they are not dead. Their search reveals a spaceship, which scares Jon. Jordan takes a crystal from the ship and Jonathan asks what it is, with Jordan responding that whatever it is, it is not from Kansas.
When Lois and Clark return home, the twins confront their parents and Clark reveals his origins; to prove his alter ego, he lifts his car over his head while flying, surprising the twins, who feel they have heard lies all their lives and angrily leave. Later, they go to Sarah's party.
While they talk, his attraction to her becomes overwhelming and he kisses her passionately. Sara reveals that she has a boyfriend, just as he appears to fight. Jonathan steps in front.
But soon several boys are beaten up, until Jordan accidentally uses his heat vision and explodes the bonfire. At Kent farm, Jonathan asks what will happen to Jordan and Clark says he doesn't know. Jordan explains what it was like to use the powers and Jon then says that Jordan can control, which is like learning to drive, if the cars were indestructible and with giant lasers, infuriating Jordan, who leaves the salt and goes to his room. He then has a conversation with his father on the porch, who says that everything will be fine. The next morning, the twins talk to Sarah about what happened the night before. He gives them privacy for them to talk alone. After talking, she gets in the car and leaves.
Moving to Smallville
Adapting to the new city
Later, Lois and Clark decided to move to Smallville with their children, to be closer as a family and allow Jordan to explore his powers. His parents also decided to keep Jordan out of school until he could control his powers. In the next day, Clark took Jordan to the Fortress of Solitude, so Jonathan went to the new school alone. In the Fortress, the hologram of Jor-El talked about the destruction of Krypton and its cities. The tests at the Fortress indicated that his displays of superpowers were random occurrences and he would never be able to use them at will or be like his father. When they returned to Kent farm, Jordan was distraught that he was not apparently special and got into a shouting match with Jonathan, who was angry at his life being disrupted for Jordan’s benefit. The two started to argue until Lois appeased the situation and the two went to their rooms. Then they went to the Cushing family barbecue, where they met Sarah and Sophie Cushing. That night, the brothers made up and he thanked Jonathan for agreeing to move to Smallville and for always protecting him. The next morning, Clark allowed him to go to school.
The next morning, they were trying to paint the house until Clark heard something and had to leave. Then they went to school, where he talked to Sarah until Sean and other members of the football team intimidated him, despite Jonathan's efforts to protect him. Then his father suddenly showed up at school, making the bullies go away and making the twins angry. He also heard Sarah and Sean break up and was interrupted by Timmy. Jordan decided to participate in football training. Secretly using his powers, he took down all his opponents, imprecating the trainer and making Jonathan angry. They also chatted with Sarah at Victoria May's, until Lana came out and yelled her out. When his parents learned that Jordan had joined the team, they forbade him to play. Later, Jonathan convinced Clark to let Jordan play for the team, telling him how his confidence and social skills had improved while playing on the team.
As Jordan became the star of the team and popular with his colleagues, his mental health improved considerably, stopping him from having anxiety attacks. Jordan participated in his first game with the Smallville Crows and defeated all his opponents, being applauded by his family and friends. After the game was over, he and his brother went to a party at Corey Wellnitz's lake house, where they met Sarah. The next day, Sam Lane told the twins not to distract their father from duties as Superman. Later, Jordan and Jon followed Tag Harris when he ran off alone into the forest. They found him suffering immense pain due to the uncontrollable vibration. As Tag had been injured by the bonfire explosion, Jordan believed that he is the culprit.
Jon wanted to call Clark for help, but Jordan reminded him of Sam's warnings, and blaming himself for Tag's situation, he tried to help him. Tag threw Jordan away, knocking him unconscious, so Jon used the signaling device to call their father. Back at home, Jonathan assured Jordan that he was not responsible for Tag’s condition, which was proved true when Sam explained that government scientists had determined Tag’s powers came from being exposed to a nearby yellow phosphorescence in the mines. When Clark asked why the two of them didn't call for him as soon as they learned about Tag, the brothers revealed that Sam had told them not to bother Clark with their problems, to their parent's joint fury.
Jordan is working on the farm with his family to prepare for the upcoming Smallville Harvest Festival. Later, he and Jon go to school, where Jon receivs a call from his girlfriend Eliza and she breaks up with him. When they return home, Jordan tells his parents what had happened. Sarah asked Jordan to go on a date to Smallville’s Harvest Festival with her, which was Jordan’s first date. At the Festival, they talked and got closer, however the moment was ruined when Jon arrived with Timmy Ryan and another boy, and drunkenly made fun of them both. Disgusted with his behaviour due to her father’s alcoholism, Sarah stormed off. The next day she told Jordan she was not ready to date anyone at the moment, but asked that they stay friends, which he agreed to. As Jordan was walking home, he was ambushed by Tag Harris, demanding to know what had happened to him.
Back in Metropolis and losing control
So Jordan used his signal device to summon Superman, who tried to stop Tag but failed. After the attack, Jordan returned home and began to experience painful migraines triggered by the development of his super hearing. Jonathan wanted to tell his parents but Jordan asked him not to as he wanted to participate in the next Crows game in Metropolis.
The game was against Jonathan's old team in Metropolis, which was formed by boys used to bullying Jordan. During the game, Jordan was temporarily incapacitated by his migraine and failed to protect the Crows quarterback. Jonathan was sent to replace him and the brothers managed to rally the team and lead them to win the game. In the final play, Jordan was tackled and beaten by Jimmy Cutter and the other rival players, causing him to lose control of his heat vision; which Clark managed to block with his hand.
Back in the hotel room, Clark questioned Jordan about what had happened, prompting Jonathan to tell the truth about Jordan's migraines and he berated them for not telling them sooner. Clark had to leave when Lana called him and shortly afterwards his team members showed up and asked them to come out and celebrate.
Jordan started to hear everything around him, so he started using headphones to muffle the sounds. He heard Clark being assaulted by the Stranger and told Jonathan, so they took a car and drove to the scene and managed to incapacitate the Stranger.
The musical revue
Jordan suffers from social anxiety disorder, as a result he has been shown to lash out when stressed as both a child and a teenager, he is best described as a loner, not socializing much with kids of his own age and a lack of interest in what others think of him. He also has a small sense of self-confidence that was further shaken when he learned from Jor-El's AI that he wouldn't amount to being as special as his father. Yet, it has started to grow when he joined the football and started to become friends with his fellow teammates. Despite trying to remain closed off to others, he has shown an instant connection with his childhood crush, Sarah Cushing and a strong bond with his twin brother, Jonathan Kent, seeing him be attacked by kids at the bonfire is what caused Jordan to activate his heat vision for the first time.
Jordan seems to be closer to his mother, Lois Lane than to his father, Clark Kent as she has been more present in his life while Clark was saving the world as Superman, she was able to comfort him during an anxiety attack and Jordan felt particularly betrayed by her knowing about his father's secret identity and not telling him, Jordan has grown distant from his father because he was always traveling for "work" and this has caused resentment to build towards him. However, this rift has possibly began to heal as Clark was able to comfort Jordan after the emergence of his powers and promising to be there for him.
Powers and abilities
- Human-Kryptonian hybrid physiology: Because of Jordan's human-kryptonian hybrid genetic structure under the effects of a "yellow" sun, he possesses the same potential powers as any kryptonian.
- Solar energy absorption: While Jordan's powers are dependent on the energy spectrum from a yellow sun, the stored up energy allows him to use his powers.
- Superhuman strength: While Jordan's strength is not yet as tremendous as his father, Clark Kent's; due to his limited solar energy capacity, his strength is still elevated by human standards. He is a natural football player, as he was seen stopping other members of the team with ease. During training with his father, he was able to embed his fist in a wooden log. He also accidentally snapped the bones in his brother, Jonathan Kent's wrist when he attempted to punch Cutter. He also punched through his bedroom wall in anger towards his brother bonding with, Sarah Cushing.
- Superhuman durability: With Jordan's cells supercharged with solar energy, his body is considerably more invulnerable than that of a normal human; he only suffered a mild concussion from badly falling 30 feet and having multiple large metal beams falling directly onto him. However, it's consistency is unknown as he is seen to be knocked down, beaten up and bleeding from punches and kicks from normal humans, which calls into question the length of his ability to store solar rays in his cells; it is possible that his durability does not extend every part of his body or it is still not yet at the same level as his father, Clark's. Jordan was vulnerable to Tag; due to the latter's amplified strength and speed. He was able to punch through his bedroom wall without receiving a scratch on him.
- Superhuman senses: Jordan's senses are highly developed. His hearing is very sensitive, as common sounds are much more harmful to him, causing him to have migraines. He heard Jonathan's bones snap when he accidentally broke his wrist. His grandfather, Jor-El's hologram said his mechanosensations had become significantly enhanced and his auditory perception caused an allodynic response; until he can control what he heard, every sound would be accompanied by pain, and would require practice to focus. He was able to briefly concentrate on the just the voices of Sarah and his brother, Jonathan, but lost focus when he heard them bonding. He later replicated this to locate his father, Clark.
- Heat vision: Jordan can emit red energy beams of intense heat from his eyes. Jordan first used the power when under stress over being bullied and his brother being beaten up by Sarah's boyfriend for a mistake.
- Super breath: Jordan's first experience with kryptonite left him sick and he rapidly cooled the air when he sneezed, resulting in the formation of ice. After the kryptonite was burned out of his system, he gained some control over his freezing breath.
- Accelerated healing factor: Jordan can heal faster than humans. He quickly recovered from getting attacked by Tag and getting dog-piled by a rival football team.
- Solar energy absorption: While Jordan's powers are dependent on the energy spectrum from a yellow sun, the stored up energy allows him to use his powers.
- Skilled musician: Jordan can play the piano. He played Amos Lee's "Little Light" for Sarah's audition and later played the piano at home. He also taught her a little on how to play the piano before he experienced kryptonite sickness.
- Social anxiety disorder: Jordan suffers from severe anxiety, which first manifested as tantrums and night terrors as a child. He takes benzodiazepines as medication and he is in therapy for his anxiety. However, it has been implied that these outbursts have been his superior senses sporadically appearing. His mercurial temperament and social anxiety limit his interactions with individuals.
- "The photo-nucleic effect appears to be insignificant. His cells can only store minimum amounts of energy from the Sun. [...] These have been random occurrences. He'll never have enough power to produce these abilities on command. His human DNA is just too limiting."
- Power instability/Mixed DNA: Due to being half-human, Jordan doesn't have constant access to his kryptonian powers. According to Jor-El's A.I.; Jordan may have spontaneous instances of power like heat vision, but he will not be able to manifest anything beyond enhanced physical condition just above that of normal humans; as his cells cannot properly store solar energy. However, it is possible that his age is associated with this, as he has not yet fully matured.
- Noise sensitivity: Presumably due to enhanced hearing, loud noises, such as a locker door closing or a bell ringing, can leave Jordan feeling disoriented, giving him headache-like symptoms.
- Red solar radiation: Like any Kryptonian, Jordan loses his powers under the effects of red sunlight, as seen when John Henry Irons used his own tech to artificially create it and unintentionally nullified the boy's powers as well.
- Kryptonite: Jordan is vulnerable to kryptonite, like his father. He first experienced kryptonite sickness with uncontrollable freezing sneezes as a manifestation of his arctic breath and required intense, concentrated heat to burn out the sickness.
- ELT: After gaining Kryptonian powers, Jordan was given a signal device known as an ELT by his parents in case of emergencies.
- Headphones: While Jordan is learning to control his superhuman hearing; he has to wear his headphones to stop him from hearing everything.
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
Superman & Lois
Superman & Lois
- Jordan is a fan of "Flake" by Fidlar.
- Jordan's name is derived from "Jor-El", the name of his biological paternal grandfather. Like his brother, Jonathan Kent was named after their adoptive grandfather, Jonathan Kent Sr.. Jordan was also the alias assumed by Clark after quitting his powers in the famous story arc Whatever Happened to the Man of Steel?