- "I had the most brilliant minds in the world study that Mirrorverse. You know what they found? It's incompatible with the human brain. That place warps the mind until the person is no longer recognizable. Your Iris is long gone. I suggest you accept that and move on."
- —Joseph Carver to Barry Allen[src]
Joseph Carver (died 2020) was the corrupt CEO of McCulloch Technologies, the leader of Black Hole and the estranged husband of Eva McCulloch. Joseph used Black Hole to commit crimes while avoiding being caught by the law, which pitted him against Team Flash.
Joseph was ultimately killed by his wife, Eva as revenge for betraying her, stealing her tech, weaponizing the tech for profit and several of his other misdeeds, before she took back control of her company.
At some point, Joseph became the CEO of McCulloch Technologies alongside his wife, Eva McCulloch, as well as the leader of Black Hole. On the night of the S.T.A.R. Labs particle accelerator explosion, he watched as his wife was abruptly blasted into a mirror and got trapped in the Mirrorverse.
Carver had multiple scientists study the Mirrorverse; they learned what physical effects that reality had on a person, but not a way to release Eva.
At some point, Black Hole became established and Carver kept files on its employees in a warehouse. Carver met Richard and Penelope Dearbon and began extorting money from them, making and storing a file on them, too.
Confronted by Iris West-Allen
After learning of Black Hole and McCulloch Technologies' affiliation with them, Iris West-Allen went off to interview Joseph in order to find a lead. However, Carver rebuffed her and denied any relation to them. Afterwards, he decided to sue The Central City Citizen for defamation. Carver sent his personal assassin Kimiyo Hoshi to kill Iris. Despite this, Iris obtained information from an informant that could place his company into jeopardy and Carver was blackmailed into dropping the lawsuit, and the hit on Iris.
Confronted by Joe West
- "Whatever you think I've done, it's a million times worse. I can eliminate anyone, anywhere. And that includes you...or your lovely companion, Ms. Horton. Even that precious little baby of yours."
- —Joseph Carver before Joe hits him[src]
Carver hired Rag Doll to kill Joe West at the CCPD precinct. Later, Carver was personally approached by Joe West who told him that he was not afraid of him and that he was continuing his R.I.C.O. case against him. Carver confessed that he was the mastermind behind many murders in Central City. Joe recorded this confession on his phone, but Carver laughed, as he had anti-recording equipment throughout his home that deleted the conversation.
After Joe goes into witness protection, Maurice tells Carver that he received a package for him; it is a mirror. When Carver unwraps the mirror, Eva appears, asking for an apology for Carver warping her research and discoveries into a terrorist organization. Carver, angered at her audacity, destroys the mirror.
Hunted by Eva and death
- "You're not my wife; she died in the particle accelerator explosion."
"I've never felt more alive."
"You're not even human."
- —Joseph and Eva's last conversation[src]
Carver called Sue Dearbon's parents and she decided to work for him, if he would stop blackmailing them, to which he agreed.
Joseph Carver took certain measures to protect himself from threats. With nanite technology stolen from Palmer Tech, Carver had the mirror through which Eva entered the Mirrorverse coated to prevent travel. He also had a biogenic ionization field installed for the entire building to atomize anyone who would try to enter unpermitted. Finally, a panic room was made that Carver assumed Eva did not know.
The morning after one of Black Hole's warehouses, which contained files on its employees, was destroyed, Carver sat with Maurice at Jitters to discuss what to do; Barry Allen entered, wanting to talk. Barry told Carver that his life was in danger, but Carver did not believe him. Carver revealed what he knew about the Mirrorverse from his scientists, that he knew that Iris West-Allen was there through video footage he had procured, and he lied about owning the warehouse that was arsoned.
Carver set up a meeting of his assassins at a safe house, but when he arrived, they were gone, so he decided to take Barry seriously and went to Team Flash for protection. Barry called to A.R.G.U.S. to have Carver placed in witness protection, but, before they could arrive, "David Singh" appeared and wanted to talk to Barry. Suddenly, Nash pushed "David" and teleported them from the precinct to S.T.A.R. Labs, claiming that he was saving Carver's life. Carver accepted that explanation, but he also wanted the teleportation device; he was denied. Carver and the team decided that he would be safer in McCulloch Technologies.
Ultraviolet, Dr. Light and Sunshine joined Eva's side for revenge on Carver; they infiltrate McCulloch Technologies and fight with Team Flash. Eva enters the safe room in which Carver was hiding, and begins to taunt and to kill Carver with the mirror shards. However, the Flash jumps in front of them to save his life. Despite this, she sends the pieces through the Flash's chest mortally wounding Carver. They share a conversation together and Carver succumbs to his wounds.
- "Well, it turns out that when the guy that's trying to kill you kicks the bucket, they lift the protection detail."
- —Joe West[src]
Eva McCulloch renewed her leadership of McCulloch Technologies. Although she often said that she hated him, Eva made sure that Joseph was given a good legacy by saying, at a press conference, that he saved her from a terrorist organization at the expense of his life. Eva also framed Sue Dearbon for his murder.
Joseph was proven to be an immoral, selfish and disloyal individual who would only do anything for his own self-interests. While he seemingly once loving his wife, Eva McCulloch, he quickly abandoned all loyalty and compassion towards her after she got stuck in the Mirrorverse, somehow priding himself and doesn't care about anyone.
Joseph was extremely arrogant and egotistical to the point that he (delusively) believed himself to be untouchable, he was also ruthless, as he had no concerns ordering his agents to kill individuals who pose any threat to his status in society. Joseph's arrogance was also to the point of being quite delusional; believing that he was saving the world by facing the dangers of it, when in truth, everything he did was for himself.
Underneath Joseph's arrogant and egotistical traits, he was proven to be quite cowardly, when facing matters he could not control, as he had the audacity to ask Team Flash to protect him from his vengeful wife, Eva who had become a vengeful meta-human, after all the grievances he caused them.
In Joseph's final moments, he shamelessly pleaded with Eva, insisting that he had no choice in his actions, even more, upon dying he had no guilt, shame or remorse for his despicable actions, viewing his wifthe monster himself; proving just how delusional he truly was.
- Bilingualism: Joseph was capable of fluently speaking English and Japanese.
- Great business acumen: Joseph was presumably apt at making profitable business decisions, due to the success of McCulloch Technologies in his wife, Eva McCulloch's absence.
- "" (mentioned)
- "" (pictured)
- "" (mentioned)
- "" (mentioned)
- "" (mentioned)
- "" (video footage)
- "" (mentioned)
- Joseph is seemingly fluent in Spanish, with Ultraviolet under his employ.
- In a deleted scene in "", Carver called the police on Joe West for harassment in his home; Barry arrived to collect Joe, but Joseph did not want him to leave without apologizing first.
- If Joseph's claims are true, he likely didn't see Eva as his wife in his final moments; instead seeing her as a monster created by the mirrorverse.
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics, Joseph Carver was a former S.T.A.R. Labs scientist and high-ranking member of Black Hole working to weaponize the Speed-Force.
- The Flash: The Complete Sixth Season