- "In my long life, I have met some of the most skilled interrogators in history, but... but since we are in the Soviet Union, let me tell you a story about a friend of mine: Joseph Stalin. He became quite skilled at breaking a man... carefully aimed strikes to the bridge of the nose, along the shoulder blades, and right underneath the chin."
- —Vandal Savage on Joseph Stalin.[src]
Joseph Stalin ruled the Soviet Union as a dictatorship during the years of World War II. At some point, presumably during or after the war, he met Vandal Savage and the two became friends. Stalin taught Savage a great deal about the methods of torture and gave him a torture device as a gift.
His soul coin was seen among Neron's collection in Hell by John Constantine, Nora Darhk and Astra Logue, the latter then proceeded to take his coin for her own where she presumably released his soul back into the mortal plane along with many other coins she had taken, believing they had all died before their time.
Powers and abilities
- Master interrogator/Torturer: Joseph Stalin was incredibly skilled in the use of torture, so much so that he could teach Vandal Savage in the "art" of torture. Stalen used carefully aimed strikes to the bridge of the nose, along the shoulder blades, and right underneath the chin to "break a man", along with emotional torture. Stalin possessed many torture devices, one of which he granted to Savage as a gift.
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
Behind the scenes
- Historically, Joseph Stalin was a dictator of the Soviet Union, who managed to concentrate power in his hands in 1930s and ruled undisputed until his death in 1953. Under Stalin, the secret service of USSR became a ruthless machine of repressions, as referenced by making him a master of torture in .
- In DC comics, Joseph Stalin appeared in a number of stories. One of his most known appearances is from Earth-30, the home of Soviet Superman, described in the 2003 3-issue, Superman: Red Son.