- For other uses of "Batwoman", see Batwoman (disambiguation).
Julia Pennyworth is a spy known under the codename Tuxedo One. She is the daughter of Alfred Pennyworth, an old friend of Bruce Wayne and Luke Fox, and the ex-girlfriend/friend of Kate Kane. Julia briefly posed as Batwoman to fool Sophie Moore and the other members of Crows Security to divert their attention away from Kate.
Julia Pennyworth was born to Alfred Pennyworth and an unknown mother. She grew up to became a spy for an unspecified agency.
Meeting Kate Kane
In 2013, right after Kate Kane was expelled from Point Rock Academy and sent to travel around the world, Bruce asked Julia to watch over his cousin when she was in London. Using a false name and pretending to be a Krav Maga instructor, Julia befriended Kate, became her teacher, and had a brief romance with her. However, Julia's cover got blown when she was attacked by someone who called her by her real name. After Julia explained the deception, Kate parted ways with her.
Working with Batwoman
Back in Gotham, after a failed attempt to capture the Rifle, she briefly fought Batwoman before being defeated and figure out that she was in fact Kate. At the Batcave, she revealed her mission to track the Rifle and greeted her old friend Luke. Later, while they were about to enter the Batcave to execute a plan that would make Crows Security believe that Kate is not Batwoman, they were interrupted by Mary Hamilton, who believed the Batcave's entrance to be a panic room.
After dealing with the girl, Julia posed as Batwoman during a Crows operation to retrieve a coil gun. With Kate in the same room with "Batwoman", Sophie assumed that she is not Batwoman, however Julia was then shot by the Rifle with the coil gun and fell to the street. The Crows arrested her and tried to transport her to their headquarters but, on the way, she was rescued by Kate.
Back in the Batcave, Julia apologized to Kate for lying to her in the past. Luke announced that a knife the police recovered from one of the murdered engineers of Hamilton Dynamics was a butterfly knife, likely the same belonging to Alice, and Kate realized that she hired the Rifle to kill anyone who was connected to the gun and mistakenly believed she hired the Rifle to kill her (unaware Alice actually saved hers and Julia's life by sabotaging the gun and tricked the Rifle into killing the scientists so they couldn't fix it). Julia informed them that her agency had tracked the Rifle to the Mediterranean, and she would be following him. Julia then said her goodbyes, advising Kate to allow people to get close to her before leaving.
- Peak of human physical condition As an international spy, Julia in top physical condition with remarkable strength, speed, stamina and durability. Her conditioning also lets her recover from most injuries very quickly, though not superhumanly.
- Acrobatics/Free-running: Julia is very maneuverable and graceful, having great free-running skills. She was able to fall from a height of several feet without hurting herself and run from rooftop to rooftop with ease.
- Honed senses: Julia has sharp hearing and sight, as well as keen skills of perception.
- High-level intellect/Master tactician/Leader: As a member of an intelligence agency, Julia is a capable tactician and leader, being able to organize her missions and track down criminals all over the world, all while remaining off-charts and covering up her tracks during her investigations.
- Master hand-to-hand combatant/Martial artist: Julia is proven to be a highly skilled hand-to-hand combatant and martial artist. During Kate's global travels and training, Julia was the one who taught her Krav Maga, and was subsequently able to identify her as Batwoman by recognizing various moves when they battled.
- Stealth/Infiltration: Julia can quickly vanish from sight and disappear whenever she wants to.
- Network: As an international spy, Julia has a wide array of contacts.
- Batwoman suit: Julia wore a protective suit while posing as Batwoman.
- Red wig: Julia wore a fake red wig while posing as Batwoman.
- Bat-Belt: Julia had a utility belt while posing as Batwoman.
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics, Julia Pennyworth is the daughter of Alfred Pennyworth, introduced as a reporter and later reinvented as a former Special Reconnaissance Regiment operative in The New 52. She joined the Bat-Family as mission control with the code name Penny-Two.
- In the New 52 continuity, Julia was also depicted as bi-racial. With that being the most recent and well-known iteration of the character, her portrayal on the show led to some backlash in regards to the casting.
- Julia's codename, Tuxedo One, is the same she went by in the Batwoman: Rebirth storyline.