- "I moved to Central City for a fresh start. That's where this happened, and from then, it was just one bad choice after another, and I guess once you let the darkness inside it never comes out, and now I am trapped in a parallel dimension, telling my sob story to the doppelgänger of the man that-- that I loved."
- —Laurel to Oliver Queen[src]
Laurel Lance is a former citizen of Starling City and a notorious meta-human criminal. Laurel is the daughter of a late unnamed man and the girlfriend of the late Oliver Queen. After exposure to the dark matter released from Harrison Wells S.T.A.R. Labs particle accelerator, Laurel gained the ability to scream at a high frequency. Being bitter and heartbroken due to both her father's and her boyfriend's deaths, she chose to use these powers for evil, adopted the name Black Siren and became a high ranking lieutenant of a meta-human group led by Hunter Zolomon/Zoom.
Laurel was brought over to Earth One to partake in the Metapocalypse and personally fought Barry Allen/The Flash, until she was defeated by Team Flash and imprisoned at S.T.A.R. Labs pipeline. Half a year later, she was released by Adrian Chase/Prometheus and aided in his vendetta against Oliver Queen/Green Arrow, culminating in Lian Yu's explosion. Surviving all this, she was rescued by Cayden James and allied with him and his cabal until he was killed by Ricardo Diaz and the group disbanded. Afterwards Laurel reveals herself to the public (pretending to be her late Earth One counterpart) in order to protect herself from Dinah Drake and Diaz, only to later join the latter's criminal organization acting as his mole inside Team Arrow and apparently becomes intimately involved with him.
Laurel was born and raised in Starling City. Little is known of her earlier life but on her thirteenth birthday, her father went to get her a birthday cake at her favorite confectionery, Carlye's, and was killed in a car accident collision by a drunk driver, leaving her traumatized as she was informed of it by a phone call that same evening; for years she tried to cope with an intense and overwhelming sense of guilt and sorrow as she grew up without a father. It was implied she was a mean girl, often using her beauty to get what she want.  At some point during her early youth, Laurel met Oliver Queen and they fell deeply in love. Over the years she also became close with his little sister, Thea.
In 2007, when Oliver went out to sea in the Pacific with his father Robert, their ship sank and Robert was the only survivor. This made a more heartbroken Laurel move to Central City to start a new life. However, she never really recovered from Oliver's and her father's deaths. So in a downward spiral of depression, she began making a series of bad decisions.
Over the years, apparently, Laurel never got a real job or any sort of degree.
Becoming a meta-human
On December 11, 2013, Laurel was one of the many affected by the explosion of Harrison Wells' particle accelerator, while under unclear circumstances where Laurel was most likely screaming (as demonstrated by Earth One's Dinah Drake), and gained the power to emit sonic screams, powerful enough to kill people and take down entire buildings. Using these powers for personal gain she became a criminal named "Black Siren". Afterwards, she joined Hunter Zolomon/Zoom's army and became one of his enforcers in Central City known for demolishing buildings. At some point she emerged as a high-ranking lieutenant of Zoom, earning enough respect from Hunter that he was willing to converse without a mask. This made Laurel the only known Earth Two individual to be aware of Hunter's identity and his deception as "Jay Garrick/The Flash". She was also associated with Francisco Ramon/Reverb and Caitlin Snow/Killer Frost, and was aware of Reverb's desire to take control from Zoom. However Black Siren never took Reverb's claims seriously.
Invading Earth One
As part of his plan to conquer Earth One, Zoom brought over his entire army of meta-humans which included Laurel whom he ordered to attack various buildings at random to lure out the Flash. Laurel also learned of her Earth One doppelgänger's recent death, yet felt little remorse for her. Laurel first attacked Mercury Labs and leveled the entire building, but the Flash was able to save everyone inside. Next, Laurel lured out the Flash into the streets to fight him. At first, the Flash mistook her for Black Canary, who was a friend of his, and tried to reason with her though she simply laughed in amusement and attacked him. Laurel used her sonic cry to weaken the Flash and then physically attacked him and easily subdued him, but before she could kill him, Wally West ran his car into her and helped the Flash escape much to her annoyance.
Laurel later met up with Hunter at the Central City Police Department precinct, bragging of her defeat of the Flash but Laurel questioned why she was attacking buildings at random. Hunter explained that he needed the Flash distracted so that he wouldn't see his real plan coming until it was too late. When Black Siren asked what he was up to Hunter coldly replied "no good", leaving Laurel visibly disturbed.
Laurel, as instructed, went to demolish another building but was confronted by "Reverb" and "Killer Frost", much to her disbelief as she believed them dead. "Reverb" and "Killer Frost" seemingly made an offer to overthrow Zoom by teaming up together and Laurel appeared to consider the offer, but was skeptical and tossed a brick to "Reverb". When he caught it with his right hand, Laurel realized that "Reverb" and "Killer Frost" where actually their Earth One doubles Vibe and Caitlin Snow, as Reverb was left-handed. As Laurel tried to kill them, Vibe hit her with a sonic blast, activated subconsciously, and was unable to do so again. Unfazed, Laurel simply tried to kill them again, but was disoriented and knocked out by a device Harry set up to render all Earth Two humans unconscious.
After falling unconscious, Laurel was locked up in the S.T.A.R. Labs particle accelerator, where she attempted to get out, though her sonic scream had no effect on the soundproof cell, to which Cisco mocked her and she gave up in annoyance. Caitlin asked if they should tell Sara and Quentin, the sister and father of her deceased Earth One counterpart, about Earth Two Laurel, but Barry voted against the idea, not wanting to ruin their memory of the Laurel they knew.
Working with Prometheus
In December 2016, Laurel was broken out of the pipeline by Adrian Chase/Prometheus without tripping any of S.T.A.R. Labs alarms, and offered her freedom in exchange for her help in his vendetta against his enemy Green Arrow, the Earth One Oliver Queen. Grateful to Prometheus for giving her back her freedom Laurel agreed and they left the facility without Team Flash knowing of the break out for some time. Adrian sent Laurel to Star City to infiltrate Team Arrow and impersonate her Earth One counterpart to emotionally torment Oliver. However, Laurel was hesitant upon learning that one of Adrian's targets in his vendetta was Quentin Lance, her father's Earth One counterpart, but Adrian promised to spare him if she complied with his orders and she agreed. To prepare Laurel dyed her hair blonde to further resemble her counterpart and learned, presumably through Adrian, of the Waverider and the Legends. She also learned other vital information about her counterpart's life including her relationship with Oliver and his affair with Sara.
When Oliver returned to the Arrowcave Laurel was waiting for him and greeted him. Laurel gave the cover story to him and Felicity that Sara transported "her" to the Waverider before she "died", and saved her then returned her to their present without causing an aberration. She also learned that her Earth One counterpart's father had descended back in alcoholism. Later at a party Felicity held to celebrate "her return", she called Thea who was overjoyed Laurel was "alive", and was introduced to the new Team Arrow recruits Rene Ramirez/Wild Dog, Rory Regan/Ragman and Curtis Holt/Mr. Terrific. While having drinks Laurel almost slipped up, almost taking the wine instead of the club soda, remembering at the last second that Earth One Laurel was an alcoholic.
Later Laurel returned to the Arrowcave where Felicity had just realized her deception at Rory's suggestion of an evil twin of Earth One Laurel, and expressed relief at dropping the deception and attacked her and Rory. She also sadistically expressed disappointment that she wouldn't be able to hear either of them scream because of her powers one side-effect. Before she could kill either one, Oliver stopped her and while stunned to see Laurel attacking them, she used her scream on him to cover her escape making Oliver realize she wasn't his Laurel. Black Siren later met up with Prometheus who expressed disappointment that she blew her cover so soon but when she began to question his motives, he attacked her. Holding her throat closed so she couldn't scream Prometheus reminded Black Siren that her survival was dependent upon her obedience, not her questioning and she horrifyingly agreed.
Laurel later called Oliver and apologized for attacking him, telling him that Prometheus forced her to attack them and offered to help. While skeptical Oliver agreed to hear her out and they met at the Black Canary statue. Green Arrow expressed skepticism over her story based on what Team Flash told him about her, but she insisted she was being used. As Black Siren offered to help, however, Ragman, Wild Dog and Mr. Terrific attacked her and she used her power to knock them all to the ground, destroying the statue in the process. However, Green Arrow used a tranquilizer arrow to render Laurel unconscious.
Laurel woke up in a meta-human cell in the Arrowcave, much to her annoyance, and insisted that she was being honest about being used by Prometheus. However, Oliver expressed his distrust given what Team Flash told him about her history as Zoom's lieutenant. However, Laurel didn't blame Oliver for his distrust, admitting that she has made several bad choices, and told him about her relationship with his Earth Two counterpart, and how his death sent her down that path of bad choices. She then expressed her belief that she was no longer capable of being anything other than a criminal. Taking pity on her Oliver tried to convince her that nobody is beyond saving, and offered her protection against Prometheus if she told him what she knew about him. While Laurel was ultimately manipulating Oliver into lowering his guard around her words did appear at least somewhat genuine.
Later when Felicity gave Laurel a glass of water she asked what happened between her and Oliver, aware of their failed relationship and mockingly asking if she had a sister, referencing Oliver's affair with Sara. Unlike Oliver, however, Felicity did not believe Laurel was capable of redemption, and told her to get used to being locked up as Laurel stared at her in contempt. However, the power suddenly went out and Laurel used this chance to escape but was unaware Felicity had tracking technology in the glass of water she drank, hoping it would lead Team Arrow to Prometheus.
Laurel went to a warehouse to meet up with Prometheus where they were attacked by Team Arrow. While Prometheus incapacitated Ragman and fought Green Arrow, Laurel incapacitated Wild Dog and Mr. Terrific and taunted Felicity about killing her too. Before she could Green Arrow appeared after an encounter with Prometheus and begged Laurel not to, pleading that if she kills Felicity she truly is beyond saving. Green Arrow tried to convince her she can still be who she was before she lost her family, and he could help her find that person again. Despite appearing to consider his words however Laurel simply told him "she was never there" and attacked Felicity but Green Arrow protected her. As Laurel tried to kill them both, Mr. Terrific used a dampening device to stop her from using her power, and Felicity spitefully knocked her out. Rather than being sent back to S.T.A.R. Labs, Laurel was instead transported to A.R.G.U.S. custody both for improved security measures and so Oliver can keep her close, having taken pity on her and hoping to help her find redemption one day.
Some time after, Adrian arranged for Laurel to be freed again from A.R.G.U.S. and she, along with Evelyn Sharp, working with Talia al Ghul kidnapped Dinah Drake and Rene from their apartments and later kidnapped Curtis as well. Talia later sent Dinah and Evelyn to an A.R.G.U.S. safe-house that Thea and Quentin were being kept in. The sight of Laurel threw Quentin completely off but when Thea tried to explain the situation to him, Evelyn used tranquilizer darts to render them unconscious.
Laurel took Quentin to a shipping yard and restrained him in a container, sarcastically calling him "dad", though he told her not to call him that. Laurel asked if the restraints were too tight but Quentin was surprised that she cared and she told him that this wasn't easy for her, though Quentin was skeptical to believe her. Laurel told Quentin the she helps Adrian because she owes his freedom to her and has given assurances that he'll be spared from his agenda. However, Quentin scoffed at this, telling her that his Laurel wouldn't be stupid to take Adrian for his word. Laurel agreed with Quentin and acknowledged that he loved his daughter and lost her and how hard talking to her must be before leaving. Laurel, along with Adrian and Evelyn, later traveled to Lian Yu with the captive Team Arrow members to await Oliver's arrival.
Once on Lian Yu, Laurel acted as Adrian's right hand woman, and was tasked with dealing with the prisoners and patrolling the grounds, with a few ninjas at her side. She brought in Quentin and John Diggle to join Dinah and Rene. Diggle questioned why she would assist a guy she barely knows in getting revenge on another guy she barely knows and she says that she owes her freedom to Adrian, while she doesn't owe Oliver a thing. She continues watching the grounds with the ninjas, and stumbles upon Slade Wilson knocking out Oliver and handing him over. She brings him back to the rest of the prisoners, however, this was actually a ruse to free the other prisoners and they all escape. As they are leaving, they are stopped by Chase, with Laurel and an army of ninjas by his side.
They all begin to fight and Laurel personally targets Dinah Drake. They fight physically until they both use their sonic screams, knocking them both down. Dinah struggles to get back up, but Laurel gets up with ease, and taunts Dinah laughing at the fact that she thought she could replace her. Laurel remarks that is cute and prepares to finish her off with a scream, before she is knocked out by Quentin. Dinah tells him that he didn't have to do that, but he remarks that he did for so many reasons. Laurel is left on the island as it explodes.
She in fact survives the explosion and confronts Dinah and Quentin, she has a knife to Dinah's throat and plans to kill her but she is shot by Quentin and is believed to be dead. It turns out she is not dead and is rescued by an associate of Cayden James who helps her up and leaves Lian Yu.
Working with Cayden James
Five months after Lian Yu, Laurel returns to Star City and immediately attacks the Star City Police Department, destroying it with her own mercenaries. She and her group are later attacked by Team Arrow on the bridge in which a fight begins between Black Siren and Black Canary, the two are evenly matched at first but soon Laurel shows that she is a superior fighter and disarms Dinah Drake, before knocking her and Quentin out.
Team Arrow believes that she plans to attack the police benefit in order to get revenge on Quentin, so they plan a trap for her; however, Laurel attacks the lightly defended Arrowcave, she has her men set some bombs and specifically has one set on her doppelgänger's suit. Laurel and her group are then attacked by Team Arrow who have finally arrived and she and Dinah fights again, but once again Laurel is able to escape before being confronted by Quentin at gunpoint. The two converse in which Laurel guilts Quentin to lowering his gun before admitting that she would have done the same thing on Lian Yu as he did. It is later revealed that she had in fact stolen one of Curtis's prototype T-Spheres.
Weeks later Laurel begins killing three seemingly unimportant individuals, Jackson Klimavich, Veronica Medina and Jenny Johnson; as Team Arrow is unable to anticipate her, Curtis develop a system to track her when she uses her sonic scream, tracing her in the abandoned facility of Helix in the very same moment in which Felicity and Alena break into it; there she is revealed to be working for Cayden James, who tasks his men to kill both the hackers; however, Team Arrow intervenes and a fight ensures driving Laurel, James and their party to escape.
Later Felicity discovers that Laurel's victims are undercover agents of the International Domain Name Directory (IDND) the global internet infrastructure, and she has stolen their fingerprints in order to enter it. Believing that James intends to destroy the internet, Team Arrow attacks his party at the International Domain Name Directory vault, where Felicity manages to breach through the firewall to stop James' apparent attack while Laurel fights Diggle managing to escape and later being provided by James with a device to stop Curtis' tracking system.
After Oliver is arrested by FBI agent Samandra Watson, Laurel and Cayden James planted a bomb under Starling Stadium during a concert of Billy Joel, however as Oliver's trial is delayed, he suits up as the Green Arrow once again (having discovered about Diggle's injuries) and tried to stop them only to discover that the bomb is fake, as well as the cops guarding the stadium; so after having recorded footages of Team Arrow beating up a group of cops in order to persuade the citizens of Star City to vote "yes" at the anti-vigilante referendum, James and Laurel escape.
Laurel is later sent by Cayden James to capture Quentin Lance, who was at the time being accompanied home by Thea. Quentin is easily taken but not before he witnesses Thea being knocked unconscious after a scuffle with Laurel. Thea wakes to find Laurel has left her a phone with which Oliver receives instructions in exchange for Quentin's safe return. A later conversation reveals that Laurel is still bitter over being shot on Lian Yu. When Quentin asks about his doppelgänger, Laurel tells him that her father died in a car accident while retrieving a cake for her thirteenth birthday. This makes Quentin reveal that he did the same thing for his daughter, which brings Laurel to tears.Soon after learning Oliver has betrayed him, Cayden gives Laurel the order to kill Quentin, which is delayed by her discovery of Wild Dog and Mr. Terrific nearby. Fleeing with Quentin, she spares his life, telling him to "run", shocking Quentin. Green Arrow eventually catches up with the two however Laurel is able to create a distraction, using her sonic scream to bring down overhead pipes between them, and escape into the night. After watching Team Arrow implode, it is revealed that Laurel had planted a hidden camera in the Arrowcave during her initial attack and Cayden had been watching and gathering intel on the team the entire time thus revealing how he has been one step ahead of Team Arrow. Soon it is shown that Laurel is not the only person working with Cayden as Vincent Sobel/Vigilante, Anatoly Knyazev and Ricardo Diaz/Dragon all reveal themselves to be part of a larger teamup than originally thought.
Some days later Laurel, Cayden and Diaz break into Jerry Bertinelli's office in order to threaten him and force him to give them control of the port. Later, they are tracked by Green Arrow into they're liar and taken by surprise; during the ensuring fight she's prevented from using her powers due to a trick arrow that tightens her throat, but is quickly freed due to the intervention of Anatoly's Bratva, Diaz's men and Vigilante. Although she suggest to kill him, Cayden eventually says to let Green Arrow go.
As the next night Bertinelli and Green Arrow set a trap for Cayden's criminal cabal, attracting them to the port, Laurel fights the Emerald Archer togather with her allies until he managed to set an explosion and use it to escape, then she watch as Diaz kills Bertinelli under Cayden's order giving them full control over the port.
Shaken by her speech with him, Laurel started to stalk Quentin in secret, hiding every single time he look back; however the man discover it and, with the help of Thea, eventually managed to attract her to an abandoned warehouse where he attempted to reach to her showing her some tapes and pictures of "his Laurel", stating that he sees his daughter in her and believes that deep down she has her same good heart. Upset, Laurel denies everything by declaring "she is not like that" and emits a sonic scream in panic just before escaping.
Later she joins Cayden James as he sets a trap for Wild Dog, Mr. Terrific, and Black Canary using Vincent Sobel, who has been identified as a traitor, as bait. After setting up an explosion and detaining Canary under some rubble, James cruelly orders Laurel to execute the traitor and, despite hesitating at first, under the pressure of proving her loyalty to the cabal, she sonic screams into Vincent's ear until his regenerative powers are exhausted and his brain collapses. Afterwards, she and James left the scene though for the first time Laurel showed remorse for killing someone.When Cayden revealed that he planned to release the bomb, he informed Laurel, Diaz and Anatoly that he has planned for a helicopter to arrive to take them away from Star City, however Diaz doesn't believe this and intends to leave his own way, Laurel agrees and goes to her secret stash, which included a photo of her doppelgänger and Quentin, but she was unable to leave as Dinah Drake caught up and fight to her in order to avenge Vincent, Dinah's rage against Laurel gave her an advantage but Quentin soon arrived to stop their battle. Dinah didn't care and used her cry on Quentin, before Laurel could retaliate she was taken down with a trck arrow by Oliver and held at gunpoint by Diggle. After Cayden discovered that either Laurel or another member of the Cabal killed his son, he arranged a deal with Oliver to bring them all to him. Dinah refused to leave Laurel alone and Quentin refused to leave Dinah alone with Laurel; as Dinah placed a dampener on Laurel, she mocked her talking about how she killed Vincent. When Oliver and the team captured the other members of the Cabal, Quentin and Dinah brought Laurel to the meeting, there Quentin and Laurel talked and she stated that the only way to survive is to be cruel, explaining that the reason why Laurel is dead is her naivety. Then Laurel is brought to Cayden along with the others and he demanded the one who ordered the murder of his son to come forward; Laurel revealed she did it but Cayden slaps her and told her he knew she didn't, revealing to everyone how she hesitated in killing Vincent. Unknown to everyone else, the bomb detonator caused her collar to malfunction allowing her to use her powers again, so she used it on Cayden before having the dampener destroyed and then using it on everyone else. She attempted to escape but was stopped by Dinah, the two brawled until Quentin arrived trying to stop the fight but Dinah disarmed him and shot at Laurel who fired her cry at her knocking her out, a moment before falling unconscious due to the bullet wound. Quentin though saved her life and patched up her wound before taking her to his car and handcuffing her so she couldn't escape, when Laurel woke up and discovered her predicament, Quentin told her that he was planning to find the small piece of his Laurel inside her, knowing that what she stated was a lie and that the revelation that she hesitated to kill Vincent means there is still hope for her.
Becoming "Laurel Lance"
Quentin took Laurel to a secure cabin in the woods in order to allow her to heal and convince her that she can be a better person, Laurel lets herself be persuaded and told about her counterpart from Quentin to see how much she really had in common with her. After Thea found out about it, Laurel told her to contact Oliver in order to make a deal; she will return the city's money stolen by Cayden James (which she previously withdrew from his off shore account in Corto Maltese) if they get her out of the country; Oliver accepted and Quentin offered to accompany her and help her start a new life, convinced that the presence of someone supporting her would change Laurel for the better. As Curtis, Rene and Dinah arrived at the cabin ensuring a fight between the two teams, Quentin tried to take Laurel away but is soon intercepted, brutally attacked and quickly knocked out by Dinah, who later rages on the still convalescent and weakened Laurel, failing to kill her only thanks to the intervention of Curtis who talks Dinah out of it, allowing Laurel to get enough time to incapacitate them both with her own sonic scream and escape.
Later that night, at the edge of the city, Laurel begged a van driver to help her, telling him that she has just escaped after being kidnapped for two years and introducing herself as "Laurel Lance".
Brought back to the city, Laurel revealed herself to the public (pretending to be her late Earth One counterpart) and stated to the press that her death was faked by H.I.V.E., and that she had been tortured by the organization for the last two years; then she proceeded to hug the newly arrived Oliver and Quentin out of (fake) joy. As the public is now convinced that (Earth One) Laurel is alive, Oliver, Thea and Quentin questioned Laurel over her charade and she revealed the reason of her deed was out of self-preservation in order to protect herself from the person who killed Cayden; as she is fully aware that her late doppelgänger was an important public figure, which will make it difficult for anyone to kill her.
After she revealed to them that the money stolen from the city are mysteriously disappeared, they choose to support her cover story to the public. Laurel was then brought to Starling General Hospital for a check-up but, after Quentin visited her to take her to his home, she was abduced by Diaz's men and brought in front of Anatoly and Diaz himself, who told her not to worry about Dinah Drake and that he has a plan to takeover Star City. After that, she returned to Quentin Lance's apartment and contact Oliver, Quentin, Thea and Dinah revealing to them the location of Diaz and his mission; ableit initially reluctant to trust her, they finally choose to go and managed to free Roy Harper. Later that night, Oliver went to thank Laurel, who claimed she can't change who she is, but she'll try to be good, if he gave her the space to do so, despite not being pleased about her portray his Laurel, Oliver agrees but, right after he leaved, Laurel received a message from Diaz, complimenting for her good job, and smiled; implying that she is working with him.
Except occasionally cooking, Laurel spent the next week sitting on the couch and watching TV, after Quentin refused her offer to "help with the Diaz problem" he suggested her to go outside and get some sun or try to find a job, but she answered she never had a real one and wondered how her counterpart get to attend law school, which led Quentin to brought to her his Laurel's old schoolbooks, that she started to read.That night, Laurel is visited by Ricardo Diaz, who brought her a take-away dinner telling her that she didn't have to study law as people like them "make the law" and that she don't need to change in order to "impress her old man" like he did when he was younger.
Later, after former district attorney Sam Armand and former police captain Kimberly Hill accused mayor Oliver Queen to obstructing the justice as he fired them both (actually because he discovered they were on Diaz's payroll), Laurel watched the news in Diaz's hideout alongside him, he complimented to her for the idea and then showed the last champion of Vertigo after Team Arrow's raid to the core of his drug operation, which led Laurel to kiss Diaz.
The morning after a Vertigo-drugged Oliver brusted into SCPD central in order to fight Diaz and his crooked cops but managed to escape, Black Siren reached Diaz at the station while his men were cleaning, asking him why he didn't just killed Oliver, Diaz replied that he "is more dangerous as a martyr than as Green Arrow" and that their next move would be to spread the word that Star City is now "open for business"
Joining the Quadrant
About a week later Black Siren accompained Diaz to Blüdhaven in order to meet Eric Cartier, Jr., the son of an influential member of The Quadrant. Diaz proposed to Cartier to use Star City as a place to run the Quadrant's business in exchange of having a seat at the table of the organization, however Cartier asked him to found Robert Baylor, an agent of his organization who was caught by the FBI, in order to show them if he can able to operate at their level. In less than a day Diaz found the man discovering he was working with the federals and, as Laurel demonstrated to be skeptical about his excessive concessions to the Quadrant, he reminds her that once he has won a place in the organization he will have an empire. After Diaz gave the information on Baylor to Cartier, however, he required to him and Black Siren to get him in order to interrogate him and founding out what did he tell to the Justice Department. Hoping to get a meeting with Cartier, Sr., Diaz does as he was asked but, right after extracting him from the FBI's safehouse, both Diaz and Baylor were shot by one of Cartier's man. Having survived thanks to a bulletproof vest, Diaz went back to Cartier's nightclub and defeated all of his man alongside Black Siren, who had actually suggested to forget the plan and come back to Star City. Later Diaz tortured Cartier and, after the latter revealed he and his father never talked about him to the Quadrant because he was "a nobody" an they wanted to take Star City from his hands, Diaz beated Cartier to a pulp and order him to take it to the place where the Quadrant meetings are held.
While they were driving to the place, Laurel asked Diaz if what happened with his childhood bully, Jesse, still tormented him and he responded that it does, because he was right and he was "a loser", when she tried to cheer him up saying he was not it anymore, he told her about how he named his fear "The Dragon" and for years was everything he had but if he managed to become a member of The Quadrant he wuold get the enought power to not having anyone against him. Laurel paragoned him to Zoom because of the hate they held inside them. Arrived to the Quadrant's headquarter, Villa Centanni, Diaz and Laurel broke inside using Cartier as a human bomb and slaughtering dozens of their men with their bare hands and some gunshots making their way to the hall where the four leaders of the Quadrant met. Once again Diaz proposed to gave them Star City in exchange for a place in the organization and, as one of the member declared there are no free chairs at their table and Cartier, Sr. called him a "street suck" and a "loser", Diaz shot him in the head freeing a chair and getting welcomed into the Quadrant.
That night, Diaz went to Jesse Federico's house and kidnapped him, bringing him on a rooftop over his city where Laurel was waiting for him and, after having shown to him the last fragment of his father's picture that he had kept for over thirty-two years, ignoring Laurel's pleas not to do it, cruelly setting him on fire stating that he "is not a loser anymore".
Prior to her becoming Black Siren, Laurel was a much kinder and loving individual, like her late Earth One counterpart, however, as her father was killed when she was thirteen, leaving her to grow up without any sort of paternal guide, she became also tougher and more rebellious than her Earth One doppelgänger and in stark contrast with her counterpart being Lance family's "golden child", she was somewhat of a troublemaker and sort of a slacker, despite sharing with her traits like the stubbornness, the independence, getting annoyed when someone tries to tell her what to do and being perfectly capable to take care of herself. She takes risks and does not like to delegate or let other people do the dirty work for her, but unlike her hard-working counterpart, Laurel never had any desire to work or study even before embarking in criminal activities, also she is very impatient and hate to wait more than anything.
As suggested by Quentin, and confirmed (though sarcastically) by Laurel herself, she has "daddy issues" due to her lack of a paternal figure and this has led her to be often manipulated by dominant male figures throughout her life, probably starting from teenhood (and later manifested by working for male authoritarian supervillains).
Unlike her Earth One doppelgänger, sometimes Laurel tend to be impatient and impulsive as well as more flirtatious and seductress, demostrating great self confidence over her own charm and highly emphasizing the way in which she talk, act or moves. Also she has a dry, witty, sarcastic and somewhat black sense of humor, as shown by often mocking not only her enemies but everybody she come across.
Also, unlike her Earth One counterpart, Laurel doesn't appear to be an alcoholic and her relationship with Earth Two Oliver was implied to be more faithful than their Earth One counterparts as when he died, stemming from heart-ache, she went into a state of depression and through a downward spiral of mistakes which led her into became a supervillain.
Eventually Laurel lost touch with her humanity, as she became a cruel and sadistic individual who revels in the destruction that she causes with her powers. She has a twisted sense of humor and is quite sassy, unphased about her counterpart's death even mocking her by saying "Poor Black Canary, bye-bye birdie". She also condescendingly asked if Felicity had a sister, referring to her Earth One counterpart's sister having an affair with Oliver 9 years before to mock her. She also seems to have a level of contempt towards her late Earth One counterpart calling her "weak", "vulnerable" and "pathetic", after imitating her. She is prideful to the point of being arrogant and overconfident which led to Wally West knocking her out with a car.
Laurel is also very intelligent and observant, quickly realizing that Cisco Ramon and Caitlin Snow were not their Earth Two doubles, as they were pretending to be and also gathered information on her Earth One counterpart within a matter of days. She is also a very convincing manipulative-liar, as noted by Oliver, to which Laurel admits, successfully imitate her Earth One counterpart and fooling those closest to her for some time including Oliver, her late counterpart's ex-boyfriend and oldest friend. Hunter Zolomon seems to possess some level of respect for her, given how he is willing to converse with her without his mask (making her the only known member of his army to be aware of his identity and his "Jay Garrick" façade) and as evidence to her status as one of his top lieutenants. However, she is not without fear as shown when she questioned what Zoom was up to and he replied "no good", she appeared somewhat intimidated. Also when Prometheus tackled her upon her questioning his plans, causing her to fearfully fall back in line.
Despite her cruel and sadistic nature, Laurel does still have some humanity left in her, admitting to Oliver that talking to him was difficult as she loved his counterpart and initially hesitated when he begged her not to kill Felicity. She also has genuine sentiment towards Quentin, her father's counterpart, and despite her contempt towards her own counterpart, she is sympathetic towards Quentin for his loss. Laurel also has in her own way a personal sense of honor, as she agrees to work for those who have saved her life due to feeling indebted to them, as well as genuinely thanks Team Arrow when they decided to fight for her life. Oliver also believes, despite her own denial, that Laurel isn't beyond saving and hopes to one day help her find redemption.
After the events on Lian Yu and being shot by Quentin, Laurel seems to have became more cruel than she was before and her sympathy towards Quentin seems to have disappeared. However, according to Cayden James, she is not as cruel and sadistic as she'd like to make others believe, as proven by the fact that she could not bring herself to kill Quentin despite being ordered by Cayden to do so, even when she had more than enough time to kill him instead she let him go, or when Quentin shows her pictures of his family and what her late Earth One counterpart was like on a film projector, Laurel broke down in tears to the point that she destroy the film projector, and when she was ordered to kill Vincent Sobel by Cayden (albeit she hesitated at first) after killing the latter, she genuinely displayed guilt and remorse for this vile act of hers; a sign that not only is there still good left in her, but her humanity is also starting to return.
Laurel also has self-preservation, as she reveals herself to the public (pretending to be her late Earth One counterpart) stated to the press that her death was faked by H.I.V.E., and that she had been tortured by the organization for the last two years, in order to protect herself from Dinah Drake who is trying to kill her and Ricardo Diaz, who killed Cayden; as she is fully aware that her late doppelgänger was an important public figure, and it would be difficult for anyone to kill, despite the fact that Laurel has a dislike for her late Earth One counterpart.
Ultimately, whilst Laurel is the person she tells others she is and her virtual lacking of any redeeming qualities that her Earth-1 doppelgänger, she is not with as litttle moral boundaries as she likes to present herself as due to hesitating to murder Vincent Sobel and her recent disgust over Diaz’s actions whilst trying to join the Quadrant, especially him burning alive his childhood bully.
Powers and abilities
- Meta-human physiology: After Laurel was struck by the energy of the S.T.A.R. Labs particle accelerator explosion on Earth Two, her DNA mutated and enhanced her vocal cords.
- Superhuman sonic scream: Laurel is able to emit a high frequency scream, that comes from her voice with the highest known frequency her scream can reach being 250 decibels. Laurel's scream is powerful enough to produce enough force to launch a full-grown human and other heavy objects back several feet. Her scream is also powerful enough to kill a human being by causing internal hemorrhaging, shatter a marble statue or steel arrows, and with one shout she caused a tremor that took down all of Mercury Labs. She is well known for collapsing buildings with her powers on both Earth One and Two. Laurel is also immune to her own powers and has shown that she can control the range to her powers, causing seismic events large enough to collapse a building or small enough to enter through the ear, causing internal damage on a fatal scale even if the target has regenerative powers. Laurel's sonic scream is even more powerful than Dinah's; as the latter's sonic scream can only reach up to 183 decibels, she even has shown to be able to create a sonic bullet by blowing a kiss.
- Peak of human physical condition: Laurel is in top physical condition, with her strength being enough to swiftly incapacitate, hurl through the air, or even break the neck of a grown man as well as beat up much larger foes relatively with ease. Laurel's reflexes are fast enough for her to react to an incoming arrow in order to shatter it with her powers. Laurel's durability and resilience are remarkable as she has been able to get up without any visible injuries after getting hit by Wally West's car, stand up after being hit by a shockwave due sonic scream battle with Dinah Drake, and survive Lian Yu's explosion and being shot in the stomach afterwards. Her conditioning also lets her recover from most injuries very quickly, though not superhumanly. However it could be possible that her uniform may have materials that could have helped her survival.
- Honed senses: Laurel has sharp hearing and sight, as well as keen skills of perception. She is able to pick up an incoming danger and react extremely quickly.
- High-level intellect/Expert tactician/Skilled lawyer/Leader: Laurel is an extremely intelligent and observant woman, able to determine at first sight that Cisco Ramon and Caitlin Snow were not their Earth Two doppelgängers. Also, she is an accomplished leader and tactician, due to her former status as one of Zoom's top lieutenants and leading her own group of criminals. She has also proven to be very effective in anticipating her enemies patterns of thinking and use it against them, purposely leaving a map of City Hall for Team Arrow to find making them believe that the Star City police ceremony was her target, while actually it was the Arrowcave. Laurel is also a very quick learner, having gained great knowledge, if not skill, of the legal system in less than a couple of days from her late counterpart's old schoolbooks and having use it to her advantage.
- Master hand-to-hand combatant/Martial artist: Laurel is a highly proficient unarmed combatant. While battling the Flash, she demonstrated a series of well coordinated punches and kicks after disorientated him with a sonic scream. Laurel has proven capable of defeating Dinah Drake, a highly skilled combatant in her own right, on several occasions, overcoming her bare-handed with ease even while she was armed with her signature bo-staff and managing to fight her to a stand-still even when she was fighting with the intention to kill her; as she still managed to best the latter, as well as knocking out Thea Queen (albeit just awakened from a coma) in less than a second without giving her time to react, and defeat an entire group of FBI armed agents, albeit completely disarmed. However, Laurel has been shown to be unable to handle herself against Adrian Chase and, despite being skilled enough to hold her own against a master hand-to-hand combatant and martial artist such as John Diggle, she was ultimately defeated by him. Despite this she doesn't seem to fear the eventuality of a fight with a combatant like Ricardo Diaz.
- Expert stick fighter: Laurel is an accomplished stick fighter, when Dinah Drake fought her, she took Dinah's bo-staff, and used it to take both the former and Quentin Lance down with relative ease.
- Intimidation: Due to her incredible power and her well-known coldness, Laurel commands an intimidating presence, instilling fear into both enemies and allies.
- Master knife wielder/Knife-thrower: Laurel is highly skilled with knives, she managed to quickly incapacitate Dinah Drake and hold her throat at knife-point in order to prevent her from using her powers, all this while moving extremely fast. Laurel is also skilled in using knives in long-range combat, she was able to kill a man with a single stab throwing him a shuriken before he could fire his gun even though he was in her field of vision for only an instant.
- Acrobatics/Free-running: Since becoming Black Siren, Laurel has developed free-running skills and could drop from a height of several feet without injuring herself. She was able to incapacitate Dinah Drake by jumping on her and holding a knife to her throat in a matter of few seconds. She was also able to perform a backflip without using her hands during her fight against Dinah. Her skills allow her to fluidly dodge and attack from different directions without losing balance.
- Indomitable will/High tolerance for pain/Expert survivalist: Laurel is a very resilient woman, after the explosion caused by the confrontation between her and Dinah Drake's sonic screams she was the first one to get back on her feet. She is also a very driven, determined and nearly fearless individual, as shown by not being intimidated by Hunter Zolomon, Adrian Chase or Cayden James. She was even able to survive taking a bullet in the chest, and despite being knocked out, upon awakening was able to get back on her feet and fully recovering in just six months, though it could be possible that the suit she wore have helped her on that occasion she later demonstrate to be able to survive a close-range gunshot at the stomach even while in civilian clothes.
- Master of deception: Laurel is an exceptional liar, as once she was given all the information about her Earth One counterpart, she was able to successfully portray herself as her late doppelgänger to various people and even to the public. Laurel is also capable of befriending or seducing others in order to make them feel at ease with her before she kills them.
- Stealth/Infiltration: Laurel has demonstrated to be elusive, as after disorienting her enemies with her sonic scream she was able to quickly vanish from sight. She can just as easily catch her enemies off guard without her powers, able to disarm Dinah Drake and hold her as a hostage.
- Network: As an infamous criminal on Earth Two, Laurel had connections to the criminal underground with Zoom's army; many of whom she commanded as one of Zoom's lieutenants. Since her arrival on Earth One, Laurel has quickly earned authoritative positions with Prometheus' team, Cayden James's criminal cabal and Ricardo Diaz's criminal organization respectively.
- Culinary expertise: Laurel seems to be a talented cook with Quentin praising her culinary skills while they're living together.
- Vocal cords: If someone is able to grip Laurel’s throat tight enough she is unable to use the scream to defend herself as demonstrated by Adrian Chase.
- Sonic dampener: Just like Dinah Drake and Sean Sonus, Laurel was affected by Curtis Holt's sonic dampener, causing her to temporarily lose her powers.
- Power-dampening tech: Laurel's powers can be neutralized by using power-dampening tech.
- Black Siren suit: Laurel wears a black leather suit while terrorizing her victims as Black Siren. Laurel's suit is potentially very durable due to her survival of a car crash, a shockwave, an island explosion, and gunshot to the stomach.
- Ghost phone: Laurel uses a ghost phone to call Oliver.
- Anti-tracking device: Cayden James provided Laurel with a device that can prevent Curtis Holt/Mr. Terrific from tracking her sonic scream.
- Knives: Laurel has used knives on several guards and uses one to free Quentin Lance. Despite greatly relying on her powers or hand-to-hand combat skills, knives seem to be Laurel's weapon of choice, and she has proven highly capable of wielding them proficiently.
The Chronicles of Cisco
- Like the DC comic version of Black Canary, Laurel possesses the meta-human ability of a super sonic scream, which she can deploy to shatter objects and incapacitate her opponent; however, unlike her Earth One counterpart, she is a villain, instead of a hero.
- Often, while in public, Laurel uses a disguise which features a nod (or rather a reverse look) to Black Canary of the DC comics as she wore a short dark-haired wig. In the DC comics, prior to dying her dark hair blonde, Dinah Lance used to wear a blonde wig, while fighting as the Black Canary.
- In "", while approaching Jenny Johnson, Black Siren introduced herself by name for the first time since her debut, as "Dinah". However it's unclear if that is her first name or not, since other characters seems to refers to her as "Laurel", which is likely because that's the name used by her late Earth One counterpart.
- Laurel is the only villain to work for four main antagonists from two different shows in the Arrowverse (Zoom, Prometheus, Cayden James, and Ricardo Diaz respectively). All have also used Laurel as a right-hand and a means to torment their foes, Barry and Oliver respectively, to tarnish their memory of her Earth One counterpart. Additionally, Laurel has subdued and nearly killed both heroes in combat.
- Laurel is one of the only three meta-humans to escape the pipeline without any involvement of Team Flash. One is Hartley Rathaway, in an erased timeline and the other is Barry Allen who escaped the pipeline by smashing through its glass to save Iris.
- Since her Earth One counterpart appeared to be right handed, Laurel is most likely left handed, given her statement that doppelgängers are opposite in hand dominants. However, since she has been seen using both hands she could be ambidextrous or trained herself to use her right hand to pass as her doppelgänger.
- In "", Rene Ramirez speculates that Laurel might be bisexual, under the assumption that she seduced and killed Veronica Medina as she did with her first target, Jackson Klimavich. While this is unconfirmed, Laurel did sadistically comment that another victim of her's Jenny Johnson was "so pretty that she wanted to hold her hand till the end" and that this made her waste time rather than escape quickly, but it's unclear if she really mean it or not.
- Laurel’s comment "once you let the darkness inside it never comes out" is similar to what Helena Bertinelli said to her Earth One counterpart, who later used this quote herself to Kate Spencer to blackmail her for her job back. It is also similar to Hunter Zolomon's infamous quote "you can't lock up the darkness".
- Laurel shares some similarities with Caitlin Snow (Earth Two). They both worked for Zoom and had non-meta-human doppelgängers on Earth One (at least prior to Flashpoint). They were in love with the same guys their doppelgängers were on Earth One. They have the same snarky and sadistic nature, willing to attack and mock the Earth One versions of themselves.
- She also shares similarities with Caitlin Snow. They lost the men they loved and their powers had an important role in their descent to darkness. They both use memories of Caitlin and Laurel Lance to torment Team Flash and Team Arrow, respectively. However, Caitlin has managed to come to terms with her Killer Frost side and stay away from the darkness, while Laurel has yet to do so. Despite this, in the sixth season of the show, there are have been several hints that show she has redeeming qualities.
- Members of Team Arrow often referred to her as "Evil Laurel" to differentiate her from her Earth One counterpart.
- Fans of the series often referred to her as "Siren" to differentiate her from her late Earth One counterpart and Dinah Drake because they both share an first name however none of the other main characters call her by that. Making it clear to the audience they have a hard time seeing this Laurel as her own person compared to the one they knew and loved.
- Unlike her Earth One counterpart, Laurel sports several tattoos and piercings since all of them are Katie Cassidy's own; she briefly had a Septum nose piercing, multiple earrings on both sides, a tattoo on the right index finger of three flying birds, the inscription "I Got You" tattooed on the left wrist and "We Got Each Other" on the right.
- Ironically, in stark contrast with her Earth One counterpart who once stated she dislike fishnets and felt "ridiculous" wearing them, Laurel doesen't only wear fishnets on her suit, but also seems to have a liking to them. Those are both references to the DC comic Black Canary's iconic costume.
- While her Earth One Counterpart was known to be a very bad cook, with the only thing she was actually capable of making is macaroni and cheese (a trait that her comic counterpart also shares), Laurel is mentioned to be surprisingly good at cooking.
- According to her, prior to start her criminal career Laurel never got a good job, stating that she didn't go to law school, and she didn't have any degree, unlike her Earth One counterpart.
Behind the scenes
- In DCAU, Black Siren is the alias of Donna Nance, a founding member of the Justice Guild of America, in an alternate Earth, from the TV series, Justice League. The character herself was actually based on the Golden Age Black Canary.
- She is the second doppelgänger of an Arrow character that has appeared on The Flash, the first one was Floyd Lawton. She was also the first doppelgänger on Arrow as well as the only one until the Crisis on Earth-X crossover.
- With her being promoted to series regular of the sixth season of Arrow, she is now the only main character who made their debut in The Flash. She is the first Arrow main character to be a doppelgänger as well as a meta-human. She is also the fourth villain to be credited as a main character in Arrow. This promotion makes Katie Cassidy the only cast member to be a series regular, then demoted to special guest star, and then series regular again. She’s also the only cast member who’s played two different main characters.
- Katie Cassidy teased of her character's development moving forward; "Yes, I think the more we learn about her backstory and what her relationship was like with her Oliver, absolutely. I think it will make sense in the end and not necessarily make her as bad of a person. You might be like "Oh, okay that makes sense". Yes, I do think we'll know more".
- In "", it is mentioned that Laurel used the name "Siu Jerk Jai" (approximation of Cantonese 小雀仔) when she took the money from Cayden James' account in Corto Maltese. In the comics, this nickname was given to Black Canary by her sensei and it means "little bird".