- "You remind me of the guy that brought me here... to this Earth. He... he had so much hate inside of him. Took control over him."
- —Laurel to Ricardo Diaz about Hunter Zolomon[src]
Laurel Lance is a former citizen of Starling City of Earth Two and a current resident of Star City of Earth One, as well as a reformed meta-human criminal turned into the city's district attorney. Laurel is the daughter of a late unnamed man and the girlfriend of the late Oliver Queen. After exposure to the dark matter released from Harrison Wells S.T.A.R. Labs particle accelerator, Laurel gained the ability to scream at a high frequency. Being bitter and heartbroken due to both her father's and her boyfriend's deaths, she chose to use these powers for evil, adopted the name Black Siren and became a high ranking lieutenant of a meta-human group led by Hunter Zolomon/Zoom.
Laurel was brought over to Earth One to participate in the Metapocalypse and personally fought Barry Allen/The Flash, until she was defeated by Team Flash and imprisoned at S.T.A.R. Labs pipeline. Half a year later, she was released by Adrian Chase/Prometheus and aided in his vendetta against Oliver Queen/Green Arrow, culminating in Lian Yu's explosion. Surviving all this, she was rescued by Cayden James and allied with him and his cabal until he was killed by Ricardo Diaz and the group disbanded.
Afterwards Laurel reveals herself to the public (pretending to be her late Earth One counterpart) in order to protect herself from Diaz. In a misguided attempt to protect herself and her father's Earth One counterpart (who she has grown fond of) she joined Diaz's criminal organization acting as his mole inside Team Arrow and even allowed him to be intimate with her to an unknown degree, until she betrayed Diaz in favor of allying herself with Quentin and Oliver, having grown fond for them both. She was devastated when Quentin ultimately died saving her from Diaz, who she saw as her own father, and in turn saw her as his own daughter.
After Quentin's death and Oliver's sentenced to prison, Laurel became the new District attorney of Star City, replacing Sam Armand. She maintains a strained relationship with Team Arrow, especially Dinah, who are hesitant to trust her after everything she's done.
Laurel was born and raised in Starling City. Little is known of her earlier life but it's hinted she is an only child and doesn't have a sister. On Laurel's 13th birthday, her father went to get her birthday cake from her favorite bakery, Carlye's, and was killed in a car accident collision by a drunk driver. Laurel was informed of the accident through a phone call that same evening, leaving her traumatized and devastated, having to grow up without a father.
It's implied that Laurel was a mean girl, often using her beauty to get what she wanted.
At some point during her early youth, Laurel met Oliver Queen and the two fell deeply in love. Laurel also became close with his little sister, Thea. In 2007, when Oliver went out to sea in the Pacific with his father Robert, their ship sank and Robert was the only survivor. This made a more heartbroken Laurel move to Central City to start a new life. However, she never really recovered from Oliver's and her father's deaths. So in a downward spiral of depression, she began making a series of bad decisions.
Over the years, Laurel apparently never got a real job or any sort of degree.
Working for Zoom
Becoming a meta-human
On December 11, 2013, Laurel was one of the many affected by the explosion of Harrison Wells' particle accelerator, while under unclear circumstances where Laurel was most likely screaming (as demonstrated by Earth One's Dinah Drake), and gained the power to emit sonic screams, powerful enough to kill people and take down entire buildings. Using these powers for personal gain she became a criminal named "Black Siren". Afterwards, she joined Hunter Zolomon/Zoom's army and became one of his enforcers in Central City known for demolishing buildings. At some point she emerged as a high-ranking lieutenant of Zoom, earning enough respect from Hunter that he was willing to converse without a mask. This made Laurel the only known Earth Two individual to be aware of Hunter's identity and his deception as "Jay Garrick/The Flash". She was also associated with Francisco Ramon/Reverb and Caitlin Snow/Killer Frost and was aware of Reverb's desire to take control from Zoom, though never took this seriously.
Invading Earth One
As part of his plan to conquer Earth One, Zoom brought over his entire army of meta-humans which included Laurel whom he ordered to attack various buildings at random to lure out the Flash. Laurel also learned of her Earth One doppelgänger's recent death, yet felt little remorse for her. Laurel first attacked Mercury Labs and leveled the entire building, but the Flash was able to save everyone inside. Next, Laurel lured out the Flash into the streets to fight him. At first, the Flash mistook her for Black Canary, who was a friend of his, and tried to reason with her though she simply laughed in amusement and attacked him. Laurel used her sonic cry to weaken the Flash and then physically attacked him and easily subdued him, but before she could kill him, Wally West ran his car into her and helped the Flash escape.
Laurel later met up with Hunter at the Central City Police Department precinct, bragging of her defeat of the Flash but Laurel questioned why she was attacking buildings at random. Hunter explained that he needed the Flash distracted so that he wouldn't see his real plan coming until it was too late. When Black Siren asked what he was up to Hunter coldly replied "no good", leaving Laurel visibly disturbed.
Laurel, as instructed, went to demolish another building but was confronted by "Reverb" and "Killer Frost", much to her disbelief as she believed them dead. "Reverb" and "Killer Frost" seemingly made an offer to overthrow Zoom by teaming up together and Laurel appeared to consider the offer, but was skeptical and tossed a brick to "Reverb". When he caught it with his right hand, Laurel realized that "Reverb" and "Killer Frost" where actually their Earth One doubles Vibe and Caitlin Snow, as Reverb was left-handed. As Laurel tried to kill them, Vibe hit her with a sonic blast, activated subconsciously, and was unable to do so again. Unfazed, Laurel simply tried to kill them again, but was disoriented and knocked out by a device Harry set up to render all Earth Two humans unconscious.
After falling unconscious, Laurel was locked up in the S.T.A.R. Labs particle accelerator, where she attempted to get out, though her sonic scream had no effect on the soundproof cell, to which Cisco mocked her and she gave up in annoyance. Caitlin asked if they should tell Sara and Quentin, the sister and father of her deceased Earth One counterpart, about Earth Two Laurel, but Barry voted against the idea, not wanting to ruin their memory of the Laurel they knew.
Working with Prometheus
Impersonating "Laurel Lance"
In December 2016, Laurel was broken out of the pipeline by Adrian Chase/Prometheus without tripping any of S.T.A.R. Labs alarms, offering her freedom in exchange for her help in his vendetta against his enemy Green Arrow, the Earth One Oliver Queen. Grateful to Prometheus for giving her back her freedom Laurel agreed and they left the facility without Team Flash knowing of the break out for some time. Adrian sent Laurel to Star City to infiltrate Team Arrow and impersonate her Earth One counterpart to emotionally torment Oliver. Laurel was hesitant upon learning that one of Adrian's targets in his vendetta was Quentin Lance, her father's Earth One counterpart, but Adrian promised to spare him if she complied with his orders and she agreed. To prepare, Laurel dyed her hair blonde to further resemble her counterpart and learned, presumably through Adrian, of the Waverider and the Legends. She also learned other vital information about her counterpart's life including her relationship with Oliver and his affair with Sara.
When Oliver returned to the Arrowcave, Laurel was waiting for him and greeted him. Laurel gave a cover story to him and Felicity that Sara transported "her" to the Waverider before she "died", saved her and then returned her to their present without causing an aberration. She also learned that her Earth One counterpart's father had descended back into alcoholism. Later at a party Felicity held to celebrate "her return", Laurel called Thea, who was overjoyed she was "alive", and was introduced to the new Team Arrow recruits Rene Ramirez/Wild Dog, Rory Regan/Ragman and Curtis Holt/Mr. Terrific. While having drinks, Laurel almost slipped up and nearly took the wine instead of the club soda, remembering at the last second that Earth One Laurel was an alcoholic.
Later, Laurel returned to the Arrowcave where Felicity had just realized her deception. Expressing relief at dropping her facade, Laurel attacked Felicity and Rory, sadistically expressing disappointment that she wouldn't be able to hear either of them scream because of her powers' one-sided effect. Before she could kill them, Oliver stopped her and while stunned to see Laurel attacking them, she used her scream on him to cover her escape.
Laurel later met up with Prometheus, who expressed disappointment that she blew her cover so soon. When she protested that she could've simply killed Team Arrow, he attacked her. Holding her throat closed so she couldn't scream, Prometheus reminded Laurel that her survival was dependent upon her obedience, not her questioning. Horrified, she agreed.
Laurel later called Oliver and apologized for attacking him, telling him that Prometheus forced her to attack them and offered to help. While skeptical Oliver agreed to hear her out and they met at the Black Canary statue. Green Arrow expressed skepticism over her story based on what Team Flash told him about her, but she insisted she was being used. As Black Siren offered to help, however, Ragman, Wild Dog and Mr. Terrific attacked her and she used her power to knock them all to the ground, destroying the statue in the process. However, Green Arrow used a tranquilizer arrow to render Laurel unconscious.
Laurel woke up in a meta-human cell in the Arrowcave, much to her annoyance, and insisted that she was being honest about being used by Prometheus. However, Oliver expressed his distrust given what Team Flash told him about her history as Zoom's lieutenant. However, Laurel didn't blame Oliver for his distrust, admitting that she has made several bad choices, and told him about her relationship with his Earth Two counterpart, and how his death sent her down that path of bad choices. She then expressed her belief that she was no longer capable of being anything other than a criminal. Taking pity on her Oliver tried to convince her that nobody is beyond saving, and offered her protection against Prometheus if she told him what she knew about him. While Laurel was ultimately manipulating Oliver into lowering his guard, her words did appear at least somewhat genuine.
Later when Felicity gave Laurel a glass of water, Laurel asked what happened between her and Oliver, aware of their failed relationship and mockingly asking if she had a sister, referencing Oliver's affair with Sara. Unlike Oliver, Felicity did not believe Laurel was capable of redemption and told her to get used to being locked up and Laurel stared at her in contempt. However, the power suddenly went out and Laurel used this chance to escape, unaware Felicity placed tracking nanites in the glass of water she drank, hoping it would lead Team Arrow to Prometheus.
Laurel went to a warehouse to meet up with Prometheus where they were attacked by Team Arrow. While Prometheus incapacitated Ragman and fought Green Arrow, Laurel incapacitated Wild Dog and Mr. Terrific and taunted Felicity about killing her too. Before she could Green Arrow appeared after an encounter with Prometheus and begged Laurel not to, pleading that if she kills Felicity she truly is beyond saving. Green Arrow tried to convince her she can still be who she was before she lost her family, and he could help her find that person again. Despite appearing to consider his words, Laurel simply told him "she was never there" and attacked Felicity but Green Arrow protected her. As Laurel tried to kill them both, Mr. Terrific used a dampening device to stop her from using her power, and Felicity swiftly knocked her out.
Rather than being sent back to S.T.A.R. Labs, Laurel was instead transported to A.R.G.U.S. custody, both for improved security measures and so Oliver can keep her close, having taken pity on her and hoping to help her find redemption one day.
Kidnapping Oliver's loved ones
Some time after Adrian was arrested, he arranged for Laurel to be freed from A.R.G.U.S. by having Evelyn Sharp blackmail a guard. Laurel and Evelyn, working with Talia al Ghul and her assassins, kidnapped Dinah Drake and Rene from their apartments and later Curtis when he came looking for Dinah. Talia then sent Laurel and Evelyn to an A.R.G.U.S. safe house that Thea and Quentin were being kept in, with Laurel once again impersonating her late Earth One counterpart. The sight of Laurel threw Quentin completely off and as Thea tried to explain the situation to him, Evelyn used tranquilizer darts to render them unconscious.
Laurel and Evelyn drove Thea and Quentin to a shipping yard, where they unloaded their captives. When Thea sarcastically asked where they were being taken, Laurel responded, "That's a surprise". Laurel restrained Quentin in a shipping container, sarcastically calling him "Dad", though he told her not to call him that. Laurel asked if the restraints were too tight, telling a surprised Quentin that this wasn't easy for her, though he was skeptical to believe her. Laurel explained that she helps Adrian because she owes her freedom to him and has been given assurances that Quentin will be spared from his agenda. Quentin scoffed at this, stating that his Laurel wouldn't be stupid enough to take Adrian for his word. Laurel agreed and acknowledged that Quentin loved and lost his daughter and how hard seeing her must be before leaving. She and Evelyn later blackmailed Oliver into freeing Adrian by threatening his son, William. Laurel traveled to Lian Yu with the captive Team Arrow members to await Oliver's arrival.
Final battle on Lian YuOnce on Lian Yu, Laurel acted as Adrian's right-hand woman and was tasked with dealing with the prisoners and patrolling the grounds with a few members of Talia's cult at her side. She brought in Quentin and John Diggle to join Dinah and Rene. Diggle questioned why she would assist a guy she barely knows in getting revenge on another guy she barely knows and Laurel says that while Adrian freed her, she doesn't owe Oliver a thing. Laurel continues watching the grounds and stumbles upon Slade Wilson knocking out Oliver and handing him over. She brings Oliver to the rest of the prisoners. However, this was actually a ruse to free them and they all escape. As they are leaving, they are stopped by Adrian, with Laurel and an army of cult members by his side.
A battle breaks out and Laurel personally targets Dinah. They fight physically until they simultaneously use their sonic screams, creating a shockwave that pushes each of them back. Laurel is knocked to the ground while Dinah crashes some nearby pottery. Dinah struggles to get back up, but Laurel gets up with ease and taunts her, laughing at the fact that Dinah thought she could replace her. Laurel prepares to finish her off with a scream, but is knocked out by Quentin with Dinah's bo-staff. Laurel was left on the island as it exploded following Adrian killing himself to detonate hidden C4 bombs.
She in fact survives the explosion and ambushes Dinah and Quentin in the monastery. Laurel held a knife to Dinah's throat and plans to kill her but is shot by Quentin and is believed to be dead. Some time after, Laurel is rescued by an associate of Cayden James, who helps her up and they leave Lian Yu.
Working with Cayden James
Return to Star City
Five months later, Laurel returns to Star City and immediately attacks the Star City Police Department, destroying it with her own mercenaries. She and her group are later attacked by Team Arrow on the bridge, in which a fight begins between Black Siren and Black Canary. The two are evenly matched at first but Laurel eventually disarms Dinah and uses the latter's bo-staff to knock out both her and Quentin.
Team Arrow believes that she plans to attack the police benefit in order to get revenge on Quentin, so they plan a trap for her; however, Laurel attacks the lightly defended Arrowcave, she has her men set some bombs and specifically has one set on her doppelgänger's suit. Laurel and her group are then attacked by Team Arrow who have finally arrived and she and Dinah fights again, but once again Laurel is able to escape before being confronted by Quentin at gunpoint. The two converse in which Laurel guilts Quentin to lowering his gun before admitting that she would have done the same thing on Lian Yu as he did. It is later revealed that she had in fact stolen one of Curtis' prototype T-Spheres.
Weeks later Laurel kills three seemingly unimportant individuals: Jackson Klimavich, Veronica Medina and Jenny Johnson. Curtis develop a device to track Laurel when she uses her sonic scream, tracing her in the abandoned facility of Helix in the very same moment in which Felicity and Alena break into it. There, she is revealed to be working for Cayden James, who tasks his men to kill both the hackers. However, Team Arrow intervenes and a fight ensures, driving Laurel, James and their party to escape.
Later, Felicity discovers that Laurel's victims are undercover agents of the International Domain Name Directory (IDND) the global internet infrastructure, and she has stolen their fingerprints in order to enter it. Believing that James intends to destroy the internet, Team Arrow attacks his party at the International Domain Name Directory vault, where Felicity manages to breach through the firewall to stop James' apparent attack while Laurel fights Diggle managing to escape and later being provided by James with a device to stop Curtis' tracking system.
After Oliver is arrested by FBI agent Samandra Watson, Laurel and Cayden James planted a bomb under Starling Stadium during a concert of Billy Joel, however as Oliver's trial is delayed, he suits up as the Green Arrow once again (having discovered about Diggle's injuries) and tried to stop them only to discover that the bomb is fake, as well as the cops guarding the stadium; so after having recorded footages of Team Arrow beating up a group of cops in order to persuade the citizens of Star City to vote "yes" at the anti-vigilante referendum, James and Laurel escape.
Seeds of doubt
Laurel is later sent by Cayden James to capture Quentin, who was accompanying Thea home after Oliver and Felicity's wedding. Laurel quickly knocks out Thea and kidnaps Quentin. Before leaving, she places a phone into an unconscious Thea's hand, through which Oliver receives instructions in exchange for Quentin's safe return. A later conversation reveals that Laurel is still bitter over being shot on Lian Yu. When Quentin asks about his doppelgänger, Laurel tells him that her father died in a car accident while buying a cake for her 13th birthday. Quentin reflects that he did the same thing for his daughter, which brings Laurel to tears.
Soon after learning Oliver has betrayed him, Cayden gives Laurel the order to kill Quentin, which is delayed by her discovery of Wild Dog and Mr. Terrific nearby. Fleeing with Quentin, she spares his life, telling him to "run", shocking Quentin. Green Arrow eventually catches up with the two however Laurel is able to create a distraction, using her sonic scream to bring down overhead pipes between them, and escape into the night.
After watching Team Arrow implode, it is revealed that Laurel had planted a hidden camera in the Arrowcave during her initial attack and Cayden had been watching and gathering intel on the team the entire time thus revealing how he has been one step ahead of Team Arrow. Soon it is shown that Laurel is not the only person working with Cayden as Vincent Sobel/Vigilante, Anatoly Knyazev and Ricardo Diaz/Dragon all reveal themselves to be part of a larger teamup than originally thought.
Some days later Laurel, Cayden and Diaz break into Jerry Bertinelli's office in order to threaten him and force him to give them control of the port. Later, they are tracked by Green Arrow into they're liar and taken by surprise; during the ensuring fight she's prevented from using her powers due to a trick arrow that tightens her throat, but is quickly freed due to the intervention of Anatoly's Bratva, Diaz's men and Vigilante. Although she suggest to kill him, Cayden eventually says to let Green Arrow go.
As the next night Bertinelli and Green Arrow set a trap for Cayden's criminal cabal, attracting them to the port, Laurel fights the Emerald Archer together with her allies until he managed to set an explosion and use it to escape, then she watch as Diaz kills Bertinelli under Cayden's order giving them full control over the port.
Shaken by her speech with him, Laurel started to stalk Quentin in secret, hiding every single time he look back; however the man discover it and, with the help of Thea, eventually managed to attract her to an abandoned warehouse where he attempted to reach to her showing her some tapes and pictures of "his Laurel", stating that he sees his daughter in her and believes that deep down she has her same good heart. Upset, Laurel denies everything by declaring "she is not like that" and emits a sonic scream in panic just before escaping.
Later she joins Cayden James as he sets a trap for Wild Dog, Mr. Terrific, and Black Canary using Vincent Sobel, who has been identified as a traitor, as bait. After setting up an explosion and detaining Canary under some rubble, James cruelly orders Laurel to execute the traitor and, despite hesitating at first, under the pressure of proving her loyalty to the cabal, she sonic screams into Vincent's ear until his regenerative powers are exhausted and his brain collapses. Afterwards, she and James left the scene though for the first time Laurel showed remorse for killing someone.When Cayden revealed that he planned to release the bomb, he informed Laurel, Diaz and Anatoly that he has planned for a helicopter to arrive to take them away from Star City, however Diaz doesn't believe this and intends to leave his own way, Laurel agrees and goes to her secret stash, which included a photo of her doppelgänger and Quentin, but she was unable to leave as Dinah Drake caught up and fight to her in order to avenge Vincent, Dinah's rage against Laurel gave her an advantage but Quentin soon arrived to stop their battle. Dinah didn't care and used her cry on Quentin before Laurel could retaliate she was taken down with a trick arrow by Oliver and held at gunpoint by Diggle. After Cayden discovered that either Laurel or another member of the Cabal killed his son, he arranged a deal with Oliver to bring them all to him. Dinah refused to leave Laurel alone and Quentin refused to leave Dinah alone with Laurel; as Dinah placed a dampener on Laurel, she mocked her talking about how she killed Vincent. When Oliver and the team captured the other members of the Cabal, Quentin and Dinah brought Laurel to the meeting, there Quentin and Laurel talked and she stated that the only way to survive is to be cruel, explaining that the reason why Laurel is dead is her naivety. Then Laurel is brought to Cayden along with the others and he demanded the one who ordered the murder of his son to come forward; Laurel revealed she did it but Cayden slaps her and told her he knew she didn't, revealing to everyone how she hesitated in killing Vincent. Unknown to everyone else, the bomb detonator caused her collar to malfunction allowing her to use her powers again, so she used it on Cayden before having the dampener destroyed and then using it on everyone else. She attempted to escape but was stopped by Dinah, the two brawled until Quentin arrived trying to stop the fight but Dinah disarmed him and shot at Laurel who fired her cry at her knocking her out, a moment before falling unconscious due to the bullet wound. Quentin though saved her life and patched up her wound before taking her to his car and handcuffing her so she couldn't escape, when Laurel woke up and discovered her predicament, Quentin told her that he was planning to find the small piece of his Laurel inside her, knowing that what she stated was a lie and that the revelation that she hesitated to kill Vincent means there is still hope for her.
Working with Ricardo Diaz
Becoming "Laurel Lance"
Quentin took Laurel to a secure cabin in the woods in order to allow her to heal and convince her that she can be a better person, Laurel lets herself be persuaded and told about her counterpart from Quentin to see how much she really had in common with her. After Thea found out about it, Laurel told her to contact Oliver in order to make a deal; she will return the city's money stolen by Cayden James (which she previously withdrew from his off shore account in Corto Maltese) if they get her out of the country; Oliver accepted and Quentin offered to accompany her and help her start a new life, convinced that the presence of someone supporting her would change Laurel for the better. As Curtis, Rene and Dinah arrived at the cabin ensuring a fight between the two teams, Quentin tried to take Laurel away but is soon intercepted, brutally attacked and quickly knocked out by Dinah, who later rages on the still convalescent and weakened Laurel, failing to kill her only thanks to the intervention of Curtis who talks Dinah out of it, allowing Laurel to get enough time to incapacitate them both with her own sonic scream and escape.
Later that night, at the edge of the city, Laurel begged a van driver to help her, telling him that she has just escaped after being kidnapped for two years and introducing herself as "Laurel Lance".
Brought back to the city, Laurel revealed herself to the public (pretending to be her late Earth One counterpart) and stated to the press that her death was faked by H.I.V.E., and that she had been tortured by the organization for the last two years; then she proceeded to hug the newly arrived Oliver and Quentin out of (fake) joy. As the public is now convinced that (Earth One) Laurel is alive, Oliver, Thea and Quentin questioned Laurel over her charade and she revealed the reason of her deed was out of self-preservation in order to protect herself from the person who killed Cayden; as she is fully aware that her late doppelgänger was an important public figure, which will make it difficult for anyone to kill her.
After she revealed to them that the money stolen from the city are mysteriously disappeared, they choose to support her cover story to the public. Laurel was then brought to Starling General Hospital for a check-up but, after Quentin visited her to take her to his home, she was abducted by Diaz's men and brought in front of Anatoly and Diaz himself, who told her not to worry about Dinah Drake and that he has a plan to takeover Star City. After that, she returned to Quentin Lance's apartment and contact Oliver, Quentin, Thea and Dinah revealing to them the location of Diaz and his mission; albeit initially reluctant to trust her, they finally choose to go and managed to free Roy Harper. Later that night, Oliver went to thank Laurel, who claimed she can't change who she is, but she'll try to be good, if he gave her the space to do so, despite not being pleased about her portray his Laurel, Oliver agrees but, right after he leaved, Laurel received a message from Diaz, complimenting for her good job, and smiled; implying that she is working with him.
Getting intimate with Diaz
Except occasionally cooking, Laurel spent the next week sitting on the couch and watching TV, after Quentin refused her offer to "help with the Diaz problem" he suggested her to go outside and get some sun or try to find a job, but she answered she never had a real one and wondered how her counterpart get to attend law school, which led Quentin to brought to her his Laurel's old schoolbooks, that she started to read.That night, Laurel is visited by Ricardo Diaz, who brought her a take-away dinner telling her that she didn't have to study law as people like them "make the law" and that she don't need to change in order to "impress her old man" like he did when he was younger.
Later, after former district attorney Sam Armand and former police captain Kimberly Hill accused mayor Oliver Queen to obstructing the justice as he fired them both (actually because he discovered they were on Diaz's payroll), Laurel watched the news in Diaz's hideout alongside him, he complimented to her for the idea and then showed the last champion of Vertigo after Team Arrow's raid to the core of his drug operation, which led Laurel to kiss Diaz.
The morning after a Vertigo-drugged Oliver bursted into SCPD central in order to fight Diaz and his crooked cops but managed to escape, Black Siren reached Diaz at the station while his men were cleaning, asking him why he didn't just killed Oliver, Diaz replied that he "is more dangerous as a martyr than as Green Arrow" and that their next move would be to spread the word that Star City is now "open for business".
Shifting her allegiances
Seeing Diaz' true colors
About a week later Black Siren accompanied Diaz to Blüdhaven in order to meet Eric Cartier, the son of an influential member of The Quadrant. Diaz proposed to Cartier to use Star City as a place to run the Quadrant's business in exchange of having a seat at the table of the organization, however Cartier asked him to found Robert Baylor, an agent of his organization who was caught by the FBI, in order to show them if he can able to operate at their level. In less than a day Diaz found the man discovering he was working with the federals and, as Laurel demonstrated to be skeptical about his excessive concessions to the Quadrant, he reminds her that once he has won a place in the organization he will have an empire.
After Diaz gave the information on Baylor to Cartier, however, he required to him and Black Siren to get him in order to interrogate him and founding out what did he tell to the Justice Department. Hoping to get a meeting with Cartier, Sr., Diaz does as he was asked but, right after extracting him from the FBI's safehouse, both Diaz and Baylor were shot by one of Cartier's man.
Having survived thanks to a bulletproof vest, Diaz went back to Cartier's nightclub and defeated all of his man alongside Black Siren, who had actually suggested to forget the plan and come back to Star City. Later Diaz tortured Cartier and, after the latter revealed he and his father never talked about him to the Quadrant because he was "a nobody" an they wanted to take Star City from his hands, Diaz beated Cartier to a pulp and order him to take it to the place where the Quadrant meetings are held.
While they were driving to the place, Laurel asked Diaz if what happened with his childhood bully, Jesse, still tormented him and he responded that it does, because he was right and he was "a loser", when she tried to cheer him up saying he was not it anymore, he told her about how he named his fear "The Dragon" and for years was everything he had but if he managed to become a member of The Quadrant he would get the enough power to not having anyone against him. Laurel paragoned him to Zoom because of the hate they held inside them.
Arriving at the Quadrant's headquarter, Villa Centanni, Diaz and Laurel broke inside using Cartier as a human bomb and slaughtering dozens of their men with their bare hands and some gunshots making their way to the hall where the four leaders of the Quadrant met. Once again Diaz proposed to gave them Star City in exchange for a place in the organization and, as one of the member declared there are no free chairs at their table and Remy Cartier called him a "street suck" and a "loser", Diaz shot him in the head freeing a chair and getting welcomed into the Quadrant.
That night, Diaz went to Jesse Federico's house and kidnapped him, bringing him on a rooftop over his city where Laurel was waiting for him and, after having shown to him the last fragment of his father's picture that he had kept for over thirty-two years, ignoring Laurel's pleas not to do it, cruelly setting him on fire stating that he "is not a loser anymore".
Turning on Diaz
After that, Laurel began to avoid meeting Diaz, until he summoned her personally in order to announce to her that the new mayor, Quentin, needed to be persuaded in respecting some "ground rules", and that she needed to set a meeting between them. Though reticent, she did as ordered and took Quentin to their favorite Chinese restaurant, confessing that she was sorry as Diaz entered revealing the relationship between them and telling him to sign a few documents to privately sell some municipal property. Later that night, Laurel confronted Quentin in his office in order to convince him to sign that papers, however Quentin, disgusted that she was working with a criminal like Diaz yelled at her to stop pretending she cared about him, telling her she's worse than Diaz himself and orders her to get out of his apartment before he could came back that night.
A sad and surprisingly upset Laurel stepped out of the room on the verge of tears and prepared to do what she was requested, but before she could leave the apartment, Quentin reached her apologizing for what he had said, and revealing her that he understand what it mean to "do bad thing for good reasons" as he worked for Damien Darhk in order to protect his Laurel. Quentin showed her that he had signed the documents and declared that he wanted to help her escape from Diaz, so they both promise to protect each other. Later, after she brought the papers to Diaz, Laurel watched as he has Oliver arrested by revoking his parole and anticipating his trial at the following week, on May 3.
A few hours before the trial, Laurel was asked by Bethany Snow if she, as the Black Canary, knew the Green Arrow's real identity, which she responded that she does and that would reveal it only in the court. Later, she was summoned by Diaz, who threatened her to testify against Oliver during the trial, revealing he is the Green Arrow in order to have him sentenced for life or else he would have killed her; however, having found the courage to stand-up against the crime lord after an heart-to-heart talk with Quentin, and since Christopher Chance/Human Target had previously broke into the courtroom disguised as Tommy Merlyn revealing he's the Green Arrow before escaping, Laurel chose to testify that Tommy is the vigilante, betraying Diaz much to Oliver’s shock. When asked what made her change her mind, Laurel told Quentin he did and that the first step to standing up to Diaz is standing up to him. Quentin advised her to leave town, but she told him that she knew what to do. That night, Laurel confronted Diaz at the docks, at first managing to overpower him and his men but ultimately being subdued as he used a power-dampening device to suppress her sonic scream, before taking her captive and telling her that his new plan is to kill Oliver and everyone he cares about, much to her horror.
Loosing another father and meeting Sara
After Oliver made a deal with the FBI to help him liberate the city, Diaz called Quentin threatening him to remove the FBI or else he’d kill Laurel. After meeting, Diaz took Quentin and held him in the same cell as Laurel (who was now wearing a power-dampening collar), telling him that he only promised to give him proof of life before leaving. Diaz later returned as Team Arrow and the FBI were moving in on him, telling Quentin he was gonna shoot Laurel in front of him if he didn't comply to his terms. Laurel told Quentin not to comply to him and not let Diaz have the city, daring Diaz to shoot her believing he was bluffing. After giving Quentin five seconds, Diaz attempted to shoot her, with Quentin jumping in front of her and taking a bullet to the abdomen. Stunned, Laurel attempted to tearfully comfort Quentin, and when Diaz began to mock them, telling her he shot him where he did as a mercy so he wouldn’t bleed out yet so she can get him to call the FBI and tell them to leave the city, Laurel angrily told Diaz she was gonna kill him. As Diaz was about to shoot Laurel in front of Quentin, Oliver and the FBI arrived, forcing Diaz to flee. He came up and found Laurel with an injured Quentin and Dinah told Oliver to go get Diaz, so he shot the lock off the cage where they were held captive and Dinah arrived shortly after as Laurel tended to Quentin.
Laurel spotted up to Dinah, believing she was going to attempt to kill her again, only to be stunned when Dinah instead freed her from her collar. The two carried Quentin out of the building to safety, using their sonic screams to fend off Diaz' men along the way and Dinah handed Laurel a gun. After getting Quentin to the paramedics, Laurel headed back into the building and went to the rooftop where Oliver had nearly subdued Diaz. Diaz dared Oliver to kill him, as it was the only way to truly defeat him and knew Oliver wouldn't. Knowing Oliver wouldn’t kill him, Laurel told him that Diaz was right that he'd have to kill him to beat him before blasting Diaz off the roof with her sonic scream into a river below in an attempt to kill him herself, frustrating Oliver as he knew Diaz would survive the fall and angrily scolded Laurel, who in turn told him that she had to end it and when Oliver (knowing he’d likely survive the fall) sarcastically asked her if she’d think that the fall would kill him, she coldly stated she could only hope.
Oliver and Laurel then headed to the hospital to see Quentin, with Oliver going in to speak with him where during a conversation, finally accepted Laurel as Quentin's daughter (after denying it to him multiple times before). Laurel waited outside the room and called Quentin’s other daughter and her deceased doppelgänger’s sister Sara Lance, who arrived and seemed fairly amazed to see her deceased sister’s face again on her doppelgänger. Laurel thanked her for coming, believing it was only right for Quentin’s daughter to be there. Sara thanked her for calling her, and Laurel asked if it was strange for her to see her, which Sara responded that it was a little. Sara then asked if she was anything like her Laurel, which Laurel replied she hardly was at all, visibly disappointed at herself. Sara and her later walked over to Team Arrow and witnessed the FBI arresting Oliver, to Sara’s confusion as he explained his deal to enlist their help from liberating the city from Diaz also involved him turning himself in in exchange for immunity for the rest of Team Arrow.
The doctor approached them, and when Oliver asked how Quentin was, she told them he had seized during surgery and died as his brain was deprived of oxygen for seven minutes, leaving Laurel, Oliver, Sara, Dinah, and the rest of Team Arrow devastated as the FBI took Oliver away, who told all of them to take care of each other. As a grieving Sara hugged Felicity, Laurel turned away visibly teary-eyed and heartbroken by both Quentin's death and potentially Oliver being taken away as a well, made even worse by how it was her actions that caused Oliver to be forced to such a condition. Later as Oliver (under the direction of the FBI) revealed his identity as Green Arrow to the rest of the world and called on his friends and allies to keep fighting to save the city, Sara and Laurel cried and mourned together as they stood over Quentin's body.
Path to Redemption
Appointed as Star City's district attorney
Five months after Quentin's death, Laurel was appointed district attorney of Star City. When the mysterious new Green Arrow made his appearance, Laurel was interrogated by the press publicly stating that the individual cannot be Oliver Queen as the latter is still in Slabside Maximum Security Prison and that, due to Star City's zero-tolerance policy about vigilantes, if the unidentified man perpetrated his actions he would have been persecuted.
As Diaz resurfaced in Star City, Laurel was placed under protection by the Police Departement but managed to free herself from her guards by secretly sabotaging them with her sonic scream to cause nausea and dizziness in order to distract them and escape. The next morning, the newly appointed Captain Dinah confronted her in her office telling her that the Longbow Hunters are in town and she needs protection as Diaz has already killed Quentin who everybody thought was her father. After Dinah referred to that as a joke, Laurel told her that, regardless of what she believed, she actually loved Quentin, however she doesn't want the Department's protection. Dinah then decided to watch over Laurel by herself sitting in her office and starting to read a magazine. So an annoyed Laurel asked her to make herself useful and bring her coffee, which Dinah does in spite of her frustration, only to find Laurel gone as she returned to the office.
In the evening, Dinah tracked Laurel down to an abandoned facility bought by Diaz after he joined the Quadrant in order to turn it into his "castle". The DA revealed that she thought that Diaz was hiding inside it but, as Dinah tells her she intended to call her men, Laurel stopped her claiming that that was her fight and she intended to kill Diaz to get revenge for Quentin's death. Dinah told Laurel she hasn't changed a bit and is still the same lying murderer, prompting Laurel to sadly responded she's not that person anymore. Laurel and Dinah break into the facility and were faced by a member of the Longbow Hunters armed with a device that neutralized the sounds which they managed to defeat (although not capture) only by working together and combining their sonic screams.
The next day Laurel came into Dinah's office in order to thank her and announce that she will not sabotage or complain anymore about the police guards placed on her protection. Laurel then opened up to Dinah, telling her that she had forgotten how it was having someone who cared about her and that losing Quentin was the worse thing to happen to her in a long time, so she understood how Dinah had felt about losing Vincent and that, despite that she doesn't expect her forgiveness she's really deeply sorry for killing him and hoped that one day Dinah could believe she's actually changed before leaving.
Few days later Felicity Smoak came into Laurel's office asking her to help interrogating Honor, which she has captured with Rene's aid. Laurel accepted the offer and interrogated the Longbow Hunter's member by torturing her with her sonic scream, however due to Honor's resilience Felicity started to lose her temper and told Laurel to use extreme force even if it means killing the criminal, to which Laurel responded to her that once that line is crossed is impossible to come back and that she should have instead use her "big brain" to find another way out of that situation; so the two women decided to trick Honor making her believe they got distracted letting her escape, while actually they put a localization microchip on her. Then Laurel told Felicity she had to prepare to be ruthless, as when they found Diaz they would have killed him.
After some days monitoring Honor movements, the criminal disappear making Felicity extremely nervous, to which Laurel suggested to go seeing Oliver in prison in order to calm down. However, when the woman came back she revealed that they didn't allowed her to see her husband as he was moved to "Level Two" that, apparentely doesn't exist. Digging in, the two women discovered that the prison claimed that Oliver had arleady used all of his visits hours of the months and was assigned to a psychological treatement held by Dr. Jarrett Parker; so they recruited Dinah's help for their investigation finding evidence that Parker is helding a clandestine psychiatric program within Slabside with the intention to eradicate the inmates sense of identity. After the three women had received evidence of this (unknowingly for them at the hands of Talia al Ghul), they exposed Parker's illegal activities and Laurel suggested to use those evidence in order to get an appeal for Oliver's conviction. Later that day, Laurel awkwardly tried to invite Felicity at a "friends date" only to deny it embarassed when the woman asked if it was such.
Prior to her becoming Black Siren, Laurel was a much kinder and loving individual, like her late Earth One counterpart, however, as her father was killed when she was thirteen, leaving her to grow up without any sort of paternal guide, she became also tougher and more rebellious than her late Earth One doppelgänger and in stark contrast with her counterpart being Lance family's "golden child", she was somewhat of a troublemaker and sort of a slacker, despite sharing with her traits like the stubbornness, the independence, getting annoyed when someone tries to tell her what to do and being perfectly capable to take care of herself. She takes risks and does not like to delegate or let other people do the dirty work for her, but unlike her hard-working counterpart, Laurel never had any desire to work or study even before embarking in criminal activities, also she is very impatient and hate to wait more than anything.
As suggested by Quentin and confirmed (though sarcastically) by Laurel herself, she has "daddy issues" due to her lack of a paternal figure and this has led her to be often manipulated by dominant male figures throughout her life, probably starting from teenhood (and later manifested by working for male authoritarian supervillains).
Unlike her late Earth One doppelgänger, sometimes Laurel tend to be impatient and impulsive as well as more flirtatious and seductress, demostrating great self-confidence over her own charm and highly emphasizing the way in which she talk, act or moves. She also has a dry, witty, sarcastic and somewhat black sense of humor, as seen by often mocking not only her enemies but everybody she come across.
Unlike her late Earth One counterpart, Laurel isn't an alcoholic and her relationship with Earth Two Oliver was implied to be far more faithful than their Earth One counterparts as when he died, stemming from heart-ache, she went into a state of depression and through a downward spiral of mistakes which led her into became a supervillain.
Eventually Laurel lost touch with most of her humanity, as she (apparently) became a cruel and sadistic individual who revels in the destruction that she causes with her powers. She has a twisted sense of humor and is quite sassy, unphased about her Earth Onr counterpart's death even mocking her by saying "Poor Black Canary, bye-bye birdie". She also condescendingly asked if Felicity had a sister, referring to her late Earth One counterpart's sister having an affair with Oliver 9 years before to mock her. She also seems to have a level of contempt towards her late Earth One counterpart calling her "weak", "vulnerable" and "pathetic", after imitating her. Laurel is prideful to the point of being arrogant and overconfident, which led to Wally West knocking her out with a car.
Laurel is very intelligent and observant, quickly realizing that Cisco Ramon and Caitlin Snow were not their Earth Two doubles, as they were pretending to be and also gathered information on her late Earth One counterpart within a matter of days. She is also a very convincing manipulative-liar, as noted by Oliver, to which Laurel admits, successfully imitate her late Earth One counterpart and fooling those closest to her for some time including Oliver, her late Earth One counterpart's ex-boyfriend and oldest friend. Hunter Zolomon seems to possess some level of respect for her, given how he is willing to converse with her without his mask (making her the only known member of his army to be aware of his identity and his "Jay Garrick" façade) and as evidence to her status as one of his top lieutenants. However, she is not without fear as seen when she questioned what Zoom was up to and he replied "no good", she appeared somewhat intimidated. Also when Prometheus tackled her upon her questioning his plans, causing her to fearfully fall back in line.
Despite her (apparently) cruel and sadistic nature, Laurel does still have some humanity left in her, admitting to Oliver that talking to him was difficult as she loved his Earth Two counterpart and initially hesitated when he begged her not to kill Felicity. She also has genuine sentiment towards Quentin Lance, her late father's Earth One counterpart and despite her contempt towards her own Earth One counterpart, she is sympathetic towards Quentin for his loss. Laurel also has in her own way a personal sense of honor, as she agrees to work for those who have saved her life due to feeling indebted to them, as well as genuinely thanks Team Arrow when they decided to fight for her life. Oliver also believes, despite her own denial, that Laurel isn't beyond saving and hopes to one day help her find redemption.
After the events on Lian Yu and being shot by Quentin, Laurel seems to have became more cruel than she was before and her sympathy towards Quentin seems to have disappeared. However, according to Cayden James, she is not as cruel and sadistic as she likes to make others believe, as proven by the fact that she could not bring herself to kill Quentin, despite being ordered by Cayden to do so, even when she had more than enough time to kill him, instead she let him go or when Quentin shows her pictures of his family and what her late Earth One counterpart was like on a film projector, Laurel broke down in tears to the point that she destroy the film projector and when she was ordered to kill Vincent Sobel by Cayden (albeit she hesitated at first) after killing the latter, she genuinely displayed guilt and remorse for this vile act of hers; a sign that not only is there still good left in her, but her humanity is also starting to return.
Laurel has self-preservation, as she reveals herself to the public (pretending to be her late Earth One counterpart) stated to the press that her death was faked by H.I.V.E. and that she had been tortured by the organization for the last 2 years, in order to protect herself from Ricardo Diaz, who killed Cayden; as she is fully aware that her late Earth One doppelgänger was an important public figure and it would be difficult for anyone to kill, despite the fact that Laurel has a dislike for her late Earth One counterpart (likely due to Earth One Laurel's history as a drug addict, alcoholic and her initial inability to accept the fact that her loved ones are gone and they are never coming back) though she has got over this as of "", when she became more interested in knowing about her and later made the decision to take up her identity (at least in public) and has become sympathetic over her death and Quentin's loss, after initially mocking her and her death; when she first arrived on Earth One.
Despite all her criminal activities since gaining powers, what Laurel was truly looking for was a father-figure in Zoom, Adrian and Cayden, and was willing to do whatever they said to have that relationship until she realized that Quentin was her true surrogate father.
Ultimately, despite Laurel telling others that she lacks virtual and any redeeming qualities that her late Earth One doppelgänger possessed, she does not lack any morals as she likes to present herself; due to hesitating to murder Vincent Sobel and her eventual disgust over Ricardo's actions whilst trying to join the Quadrant, especially him burning alive his childhood bully for no apparent reason. Also, she started to refer to Quentin as "my father". Though Oliver still seems to be at odds with her over her willingness to kill, her bad decision-making, and her formerly tarnishing the late love of his life's memory, she is now on his side and has grown to greatly care for him. She displayed clear shame for him seeing her still working with Diaz after he gave her the chance to try to be good and he had beaten him and was in the process of having him arrested and was willing to put herself in danger to save him in court.
Upon seeing her past decisions led to Oliver having to save everyone by agreeing to go to prison for the rest of his life, Laurel was nearly in tears and clearly ashamed of it. At the same time, Oliver has come to accept her as Quentin's daughter and consider her an ally after he took a bullet for her as well as her tearing up and desperate attempts to help him afterward. Quentin's death left her devastated, with a strong desire for vengeance towards Diaz for causing his death, and she was clearly ashamed of how bad she is compared to the Laurel known by Quentin and Sara, as seen by how she regretfully stated she is nothing like her.
Though a coward for most of her criminal life, Laurel ultimately got over this, which was demonstrated during Oliver's trial, which she had the opportunity to tell the entire court that the he is Green Arrow, but instead chose to testify that Tommy Merlyn (who was actually Christopher Chance in disguise) was the vigilante, despite being threatened by Diaz not to do so, proving to herself that she can overcome fear, even towards individuals that she is terrified of.
Powers and abilities
- Meta-human physiology: After Laurel was struck by the energy of the S.T.A.R. Labs particle accelerator explosion on Earth Two, her DNA mutated and enhanced her vocal cords.
- Superhuman sonic scream: Laurel is able to emit a sonic scream that comes from her voice, with the highest known frequency being 250 decibels. Laurel's scream is powerful enough to produce enough force to launch a full-grown human and other heavy objects back several feet. Her scream can also shatter a marble statue, steel arrows and kill a human being by causing internal hemorrhaging. With one shout, Laurel caused a tremor that took down all of Mercury Labs. She is well known for collapsing buildings with her powers on both Earth One and Two. Laurel is also immune to her own powers and can control the range of her screams, creating seismic waves large enough to collapse a building or small enough to enter through the ear, causing internal damage on a fatal scale even if the target has regenerative powers. She is even able to create a sonic bullet by blowing a kiss.
- Peak of human physical condition: Laurel is in top physical form and strong enough to swiftly incapacitate, hurl through the air, or even break the neck of a grown man and beat up much larger foes with relative ease. Laurel's reflexes are fast enough for her to react to an incoming arrow in order to shatter it with her powers. Her durability and resilience are remarkable as she was able to get up without any visible injuries after getting hit by Wally West's car, stand up after being knocked down by a shockwave from a sonic scream battle with Dinah Drake and survive being shot in the stomach. Her conditioning also lets her recover from most injuries very quickly, though not superhumanly. However, her suit may have materials that enable this to be possible. Laurel later demonstrated the ability to survive a close-range gunshot at the stomach while in civilian clothes.
- Acrobatics/Free-running: Since becoming Black Siren, Laurel has developed free-running skills and could drop from a height of several feet without injuring herself. Her skills allow her to fluidly dodge and attack from different directions without losing balance. Laurel was able to incapacitate Dinah by jumping on her and holding a knife to her throat in seconds. She was also able to perform a backflip without using her hands during a fight against Dinah.
- Honed senses: Laurel has sharp hearing and sight, as well as keen skills of perception. She is able to pick up incoming danger and react quickly.
- High-level intellect/Expert tactician/Leader: Laurel is an extremely intelligent and observant woman, able to determine at first sight that Cisco Ramon and Caitlin Snow were not their Earth Two doppelgängers. Also, she is an accomplished leader and tactician, due to her former status as one of Zoom's top lieutenants and leading her own group of criminals. Laurel has also proven to be very effective in anticipating her enemies patterns of thinking and use it against them, purposely leaving a map of City Hall for Team Arrow to find making them believe that the Star City police ceremony was her target, while actually it was the Arrowcave.
- Master deceiver/Manipulator: Laurel is an exceptional liar, as once she was given all the information about her late Earth One counterpart, she was able to successfully portray herself as her doppelgänger to various people and even to the public. Laurel is also capable of befriending or seducing others in order to make them feel at ease with her before she kills them.
- Multilingual: It was implied that Laurel speaks some level of Mandarin and Cantonese in addition to English.
- Expert lawyer: Laurel is a very quick learner, having gained great knowledge of the legal system from her late Earth counterpart's old schoolbooks and using it to her advantage. After 5 months, Laurel's skills as a lawyer; improved to the point that she became the new district attorney of Star City.
- Expert interrogator/Torturer: As the DA, Laurel proved to be skilled in interrogating suspects. Laurel was also capable of torture and is considered to be quite effective.
- Master combatant/Martial artist: Laurel is a highly proficient close combatant. While battling the Flash, she demonstrated a series of well-coordinated punches and kicks after disorientating him with a sonic scream. Laurel has proven to surpass Dinah Drake, a highly skilled combatant in her own right, even overcoming her bare-handed while the latter was armed with her signature bo-staff. Laurel was also able to match and even push back Dinah whilst she was fueled by rage over Vincent Sobel's death, although not without considerably greater effort. She also instantly knocked out Thea Queen (although Thea had recently awoken from a coma and wasn't at full strength) and defeated an entire group of FBI agents, albeit completely disarmed. Laurel is even skilled enough to hold her own against a master combatant, like John Diggle and a member of the Longbow Hunters, but she was ultimately defeated.
- Expert stick fighter: Laurel is an accomplished stick fighter, using Dinah's bo-staff to take down both her and Quentin Lance. She could also effectively use a massive pipe against one of the Longbow Hunters but unable to best her.
- Expert markswoman: As a long-time criminal, Laurel is an expert in the use of many types of firearms. She was able to systematically take out a group of Diaz's men in a firefight.
- Master knife wielder: Laurel managed to quickly incapacitate Dinah and hold her throat at knife-point in order to prevent her from using her powers, all while moving extremely fast. Laurel is also skilled in using knives in long-range combat; she was able to kill a man with a single stab by throwing a knife at him even though he was in her field of vision for only an instant.
- Intimidation: Due to her incredible power and her well-known coldness, Laurel commands an intimidating presence, instilling fear into both enemies and allies.
- Indomitable will/High tolerance for pain/Expert survivor: Laurel is a very resilient, driven, determined and nearly fearless individual. After being knocked down by an explosion caused by the confrontation between her and Dinah's sonic screams, she was able to get back on her feet within seconds. Laurel was even able to survive taking a bullet to the stomach and despite being knocked out, was able to get back on her feet upon awakening and fully recover in just five months, though her suit may have helped her.
- Stealth/Infiltration: Laurel can quickly vanish from sight after disorienting her enemies with her sonic scream. She can just as easily catch her enemies off-guard without her powers.
- Network: As an infamous criminal on Earth Two, Laurel had connections to the criminal underground with Zoom's army; many of whom she commanded as one of Zoom's lieutenants. Since her arrival on Earth One, Laurel has quickly earned authoritative positions with Prometheus' team, Cayden James' criminal cabal and Ricardo Diaz's criminal organization respectively.
- Cooking: Laurel was mentioned by Quentin to be good at cooking, unlike her late Earth One doppelgänger.
- Vocal cords: If someone or something grips Laurel's throat tight enough, she is unable to use the scream to defend herself, as demonstrated by Adrian Chase, Oliver's trick arrow and Ricardo Diaz.
- Power-dampening tech: Laurel's powers can be neutralized using power-dampening tech.
- Black Siren suit: Laurel wears a black leather suit while terrorizing her victims as Black Siren. Laurel's suit is potentially very durable due to her survival of a car crash, a shockwave and gunshot to the stomach.
- Ghost phone: Laurel used a ghost phone to call Oliver.
- Anti-tracking device: Cayden James provided Laurel with a device that can prevent Curtis Holt/Mr. Terrific from tracking her sonic scream.
- Knives: Laurel has used knives against on Dinah Drake, multiple security guards and Quentin Lance whilst holding him hostage. Knives seem to be Laurel's weapon of choice and she has proven highly capable of wielding them proficiently.
- Guns: Laurel has used guns on a numbers of occasions when not counting on her powers.
- Brown wig: Laurel has worn a short dark brunette wig on multiple occasions when in public as a disguise.
The Chronicles of Cisco
- (video footage)
- Like the DC comic version of Black Canary, Laurel possesses the meta-human ability of a super sonic scream, which she can deploy to shatter objects and incapacitate her opponent. However, she is initially a villain instead of a hero.
- Laurel is the only villain to work for four main antagonists from two different shows in the Arrowverse; Zoom, Prometheus, Cayden James and Ricardo Diaz. All have used Laurel as a right-hand and a means to torment their foes, Barry Allen and Oliver Queen, and tarnish their memory of her Earth One counterpart. Additionally, Laurel has subdued and nearly killed both heroes in combat.
- Laurel is one of the only three meta-humans to escape the pipeline without any involvement of Team Flash. One is Hartley Rathaway in an erased timeline and the other is Barry Allen, who escaped the pipeline by smashing through its glass to save Iris.
- Since her Earth One counterpart appeared to be right-handed, Laurel is most likely left-handed, given her statement that Earth One and Two doppelgängers are opposite in hand dominants. However, since she has been seen using both hands, Laurel could be ambidextrous or trained herself to use her right hand to pass as her doppelgänger.
- In "", Rene Ramirez speculated that Laurel might be bisexual, under the assumption that she seduced and killed Veronica Medina just as she did with her first target, Jackson Klimavich. While this is unconfirmed, Laurel did sadistically comment that her third victim, Jenny Johnson, was "so, so pretty" that Laurel couldn't let go of her until she had truly died.
- Laurel introduced herself to Jenny Johnson as "Dinah", indicating that she went by her first name rather than her middle name on Earth Two.
- Laurel shares some similarities with Earth Two Caitlin Snow. They both worked for Zoom and had non-meta-human doppelgängers on Earth One (at least prior to Flashpoint) they were in love with the same men their doppelgängers were on Earth One. They have similar snarky and sadistic natures, willing to attack and mock the Earth One versions of themselves.
- Laurel also shares similarities with Earth One Caitlin Snow. The loss of the men they loved and the manifestation of their powers each played an important role in their descent to darkness. They both use memories of their known civilian personas to torment Team Flash and Team Arrow. However, their regard for the heroes managed to redeem them; Caitlin's love for her friends enabled her to overpower Killer Frost and eventually come to terms with her alter-ego and stay away from the darkness. Laurel gradually began to genuinely care for Team Arrow after their numerous attempts to protect her, ultimately leading her to turn on Diaz.
- Members of Team Arrow often referred to her as "Evil Laurel" in order to differentiate her from her late Earth One counterpart.
- Fans of the series often referred to her as "Siren" to differentiate her from Earth One Laurel and Dinah Drake.
- Unlike her late Earth One counterpart, Laurel isn't an alcoholic.
- Like her late Earth One counterpart, Laurel has double piercings in her right ear and triple piercings in her left ear. She also has a Septum nose piercing, which she wears as Black Siren.
- Laurel sports several tattoos since all of them are Katie Cassidy's own; she has a tattoo on her right index finger of three flying birds, the inscription "I Got You" tattooed on her left wrist, and "We Got Each Other" tattooed on her right wrist.
- Just like her late Earth One doppelgänger, Laurel's favorite cake as a child was yellow with chocolate frosting, which her father would buy her every year on her birthday.
- Laurel tends to use the word "cute" very often in a sarcastic way or as an insult.
- In stark contrast with her late Earth One counterpart, Laurel not only wears fishnets on her suit, but also seems to have a personal liking to them. This is a reference to the DC comic Black Canary's iconic costume.
- Laurel drinks her coffee with two sugars and no cream.
Behind the scenes
- In DCAU, Black Siren is the alias of Donna Nance, a founding member of the Justice Guild of America, in an alternate Earth, from the TV series, Justice League. The character herself was actually based on the Golden Age Black Canary.
- She is the second doppelgänger of an Arrow character that has appeared on The Flash, the first one being Floyd Lawton. She was also the first and only doppelgänger on Arrow until the Crisis on Earth-X crossover.
- With her being promoted to series regular of the sixth season of Arrow, Laurel is now the only main character who made their debut in The Flash. She is the first Arrow main character to be a doppelgänger and a meta-human. She is also the fourth villain to be credited as a main character in Arrow. This promotion makes Katie Cassidy the only cast member to be a series regular, then demoted to special guest star, and then series regular again. She's also the only cast member who's played two different main characters.
- In "", it is mentioned that Laurel used the name "Siu Jerk Jai" (approximation of Cantonese "小雀仔") when she took the money from Cayden James's account in Corto Maltese. In the comics, this nickname was given to Black Canary by her sensei and it means "little bird".
|Other versions of Laurel Lance (Earth Two)|
|To see other versions of this character, click the Earth Name below for that earth's counterpart of Laurel Lance.|
|Earth: One• Two• X|